Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media Nintendo Direct Today

Yup, it's time for another Nintendo Direct. Also before anyone asks, they have already stated it will not be showing news on NX or their mobile platform, so we are looking exclusively at the 3DS and the Wii U. Nintendo has stated they actually are not planning on pumping out their mobile games until around 2017, so we have a while before we are even going to look at that.

So with another Nintendo Direct, another chance for Nintendo to shoot themselves in the foot. Nah, I'm kidding mostly. Nintendo has been dealing with some shaky business though in the past few years and been struggling to remain competitive in their home console line up. The only things that we can speculate will be news at this direct are:

• Possible Smash Bros. DLC
  • Confirmation on Twilight Princess HD being real or not.
  • Probably confirming release dates for other games already announced.

Honestly this is one of the first times I am not excited for A Nintendo Direct. It does not bother me at all that I'll be at work when it happens and need to watch the replay. I have just been so unimpressed with Nintendo's actions lately that it's not even funny. From their batched set up of the Wii U, to their recent poor release strategy for Fatal Frame 5, if they pull something good out of their hat it'll be a happy accident.

Still I'm a long time fan, so I'll be rooting for them to finally clean up.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently PEGI revealed the Wii U version of Minecraft(which I think will probably be on the Direct), better late than never I guess - http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/11/minecraft_wii_u_edition_has_been_rated_by_pegi

All I'm really hoping for is more Starfox Zero, TPHD, whoever is appearing in Smash, a couple of surprises, and for a tribute to Iwata

Edited by Megas75

Apparently PEGI revealed the Wii U version of Minecraft(which I think will probably be on the Direct), better late than never I guess - http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/11/minecraft_wii_u_edition_has_been_rated_by_pegi

All I'm really hoping for is more Starfox Zero, TPHD, whoever is appearing in Smash, a couple of surprises, and for a tribute to Iwata

Well while it may be late to the game, Minecraft may be interesting on the Wii U with the gamepad.

None the less my expectations are set to luke warm.

Isn't there reason to expect Pokemon to show up, too? I saw that somewhere...

Yeah that's possible. Pokemon is almost always possible.

I think there's a couple of reasons to expect another Pokemon related announcement in this one too, particularly with all the hints towards a Pokemon Z been floating around recently. Also, the recent unveiling of Shadow Mewtwo has a had fair few people jumping around shouting about a sequel for Colosseum and XD on the Wii-U. I wouldn't really mind seeing that personally. :P

I hope the main series Pokemon Game is announced.  It's been a while since we've had X and Y and ORAS and seeing how the anime is now in an XYZ arch I think Pokemon Z version could finally announced.  Or at least I hope it will.

Besides that I just want to see the next smash bros DLC character to be announced.  Maybe the winner of the ballot could be announced instead.

Yeah Nintendo needs to pull a rabbit our of their hat now. The Wii U, while I like is not doing well in sales. I don't think it has anything to do with the console itself or the games. It has to do with the terrible marketing for it. 

So, I hope this direct goes well.

I'm Legit marking out right now

That was a pretty awesome Direct

--------------------------------------------------------------------

All of the things that happened that I think are worth mentioning 

- TPHD finally announced, Midna+Wolf Link amiibo, preorder comes with OST. Comes March 4th next year

- Triforce Heroes gets free update with new level

- Super Mystery Dungeon features every single Pokemon so far, comes Nov. 2o

- Splatoon gets an update today with new weapons and skins, new stage coming tomorrow

- Pokemon Picross in December

- Mario And Luigi: Paper Jam in Jan.22

- Pokemon Red, Blue and Yellow finally coming to the eShop in February

- Starfox coming in April 22

- Final Fantasy Explorers coming in Jan 26, comes with a collectors edition

- Linkle(Fem. Link) announced for Hyrule Warriors Legends

- Megaman gets a Gold amiibo for Megaman Legacy

- FE Fates coming in Feb. 19, buying one ver. cuts the other game's price in half, as well as a 3rd version. A special edition for all 3 games(+carry case and art book) for $80

- Fast Racing Neo coming in December

- DQVII and DQVIII finally coming to the west

- Cloud revealed as a new Smash character

- More Smash news coming next month

Only thing missing was localization for The Great Ace Attorney and this could've been perfect

Edited by Megas75

Okay so I just finished watching the Direct myself and I have a few thoughts:

• Red, Blue and Yellow re-release on eShop... Why bother? Like for real, Pokemon is kind of a franchise that is more about staying current. I mean for nostalgic purposes it's cool, but it's really... Why bother?
  • That pokemon puzzle game... They are grabbing at straws.
  • Lots of freemium games, so very meh.
  • Cloud in Smash Bros. is super cool, but it begs the question of "why"? The ONLY thought I have is MAYBE this is Nintendo's way of saying they intend on trying to get FF7 Remake on the NX? If so, then this is very cool.
  • Splatoon update. I have to give Nintendo credit, they have been giving Splatoon a lot of love and attention in the form of tons of free updates, and this is good.
  • Minor clips of Zelda Wii U and announced in coming in 2016.
  • Twilight Princess HD is cool, but... It looked really... Underwhelming. It doesn't really look up to the remaster level that Windwaker was, so that's kind of disappointing. I'll probably still grab a copy at some point though.
  • Fire Emblem release is absolutely stupid. Splitting the game up into 2 games was dumb enough, but then releasing a THIRD game that is a download only and the only way to get it physically being a special edition is dumb.
  • No news on a Fatal Frame 5 physical release.
  • No Metroid anything.
  • Wii U Smash + Splatoon Bundle might actually be a great value for 2 excellent games, but I was kind of hoping they would release a Wii U with a bigger storage considering they will more than likely both be digital downloads.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X requiring some big 2GB+ download to have reduced load times? What the actual hell. Nintendo, just tone down the graphics to get the loads down. YOU HAVE A 32GB SYSTEM. REQUIRING A 2GB DOWNLOAD FOR A /PHYSICAL/ COPY OF A GAME IS A TERRIBLE IDEA. You only have like 29GB available out of the box. My phone has more storage than the Wii U. The game looks pretty and fun, but damn this is a sign that Nintendo did not optimize the game well.
  • Linkle is a good idea in concept and may be hinting at a female protagonist for new Zelda. Though the name is kind of dumb.

Ultimately... It was... A very lackluster reveal. I was kind of disappointed, but I kind of wasn't really expecting a whole lot because I've grown to accept disappointment from Nintendo.

Edited by Guest

• That pokemon puzzle game... They are grabbing at straws.

About Pokemon Picross. I just wanted to mention that it was an originally scrapped title. It was going to release for the Game Boy at first: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Picross

So this is a game that was in the works before all these puzzle Pokemon games started releasing.

If you still don't like it, that's fine. I just wanted to share some interesting trivia about it. :)

Cloud in Smash Bros. is super cool, but it begs the question of "why"? The ONLY thought I have is MAYBE this is Nintendo's way of saying they intend on trying to get FF7 Remake on the NX? If so, then this is very cool.

I honestly think this might happen, especially considering how much Square Enix have been teasing other games appearing on the NX(DQX, XI, and FFXIV)

Red, Blue and Yellow re-release on eShop... Why bother? Like for real, Pokemon is kind of a franchise that is more about staying current. I mean for nostalgic purposes it's cool, but it's really... Why bother?

I'm pretty sure it's for nostalgia's sake, which is fine, though now they're making trading possible through wireless connection, which I think is neat

Edited by Megas75

I'm salty at the fact Fire Emblem Fates will have 3 versions. It's practically getting the Pokemon treatment. ...But that's not stopping me from buying the Special Edition anyway.

Selling Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow was a fantastic decision. It's been talked about for years having them be put up for sale. I guarantee they'll sell phenomenally. For both kids who haven't played them and for adults who lost, gave away, or sold their originals. Luckily I still have all of mine.

I want that Isabelle amiibo terribly bad. At least they confirmed she'll be getting a separate release from the game bundle eventually. Because I do not want that Animal Crossing Mario Party.

Nintendo is going to have a stellar first and second quarter for 2016. So many great things are coming out.

I do not like the addition of Cloud in Smash at all. But as long as he is not a part of the Smash Ballot choices, then I don't really care.

I am going to share my thoughts, but only the ones that interest me.

Cloud in Smash Bros. is a surprise, but a very nice one. I am big fan of the sword based fighters in the game, like Link, Marth and Ike, so having another one will be a nice addition. And i am very excited to know, what the smash team have in store next month

Twilight Princess HD dosen't really interest me. Why should i buy for a game, that i still have the original version of, since the Wii U is backwards compatible? I don't buy games for graphic repolishments.

Zelda Wii U seems to still happen. Maybe it will get the Twilight Princess treatment, putting it on the Wii U and the NX.

I am still waiting for my new console F-Zero.

No news on Pokken. This game kind of intrigues me, because i am a huge Tekken fan and i want to see how this works with Pokemon.

and on a side note: The DS games Zelda: Spirit Tracks and Zelda: Phantom Hourglass came out on the VC. If you buy one of them during the course of this week, you will buy half the price for the other one.

Opinion Time!

- Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon is SO HYPE as usual, I can't wait to get it! You have no long I've been waiting after the disappointment that was Gates to Infinity. Hopefully it's not GTI 2.0: The Revenge and more like Explorers of Sky 2.0: Explore Harder. ...especially harder, I want a super hard PMD game with at least 5 Destiny Tower/Zero Isle Center/Purity Forest dungeons.
- Cloud is in Smash! I will not lie; I squeed a bit. Nobody saw that coming. I would be a bit disappointed that we got another anime swordsman but... dude, it's CLOUD. THE anime swordsman. 
- Splatoon's great; new levels look like Arowana Mall 2: Charge Harder. As a charger main, dis gon b gud.

- Linkle is a weird name, but I like her! Hyrule Warriors 3DS generally seems to be a quality game from where i'm standing; the Wii U version is great, so there's no reason the 3DS one shouldn't be.

- TPHD has... uh, odd graphics; not as good as Wind Waker HD, oddly. They seem... lackluster. I'll still get it, maybe it'll look better on the Wii U.

- Starfox! Yay! ...that's all I have to say.

- Mario and Luigi Paper Jam looks to be interesting; hopefully it's a Bowser's Inside Story and Thousand Year Door mashup. Those were fantastic games.

- Final Fantasy Explorers looks cool; I might pick it up if the reception is good.

- RIP METROID

- I'm guessing that the smash ballot votes will be released next month? Putting my bets on Ridley/Chrom/Goku (Sturgeon's Law; 90% of people have shit taste), though I'd kill for the Inklings/Bayonetta to be put in.

Fire Emblem release is absolutely stupid. Splitting the game up into 2 games was dumb enough, but then releasing a THIRD game that is a download only and the only way to get it physically being a special edition is dumb.

The 3rd path be downloadable only was known for months. It's not new news. I think it's really dumb too, but if you're keeping up with FE news, that should not have come as a surprise. Though I think splitting it into 2 games is fine; they're literally two different games with different stories, different units, different supports, different levels, etc. The only thing that's the same is the first 5-7 chapters.

I'm still going to get all 3 paths though, because i'm a loser who is still sucked into the FE hype void.

- Okay, Cloud was totally unexpected. I can't wait!

- Linkle. Just, Linkle.

- The Wii U bundle with Smash and Splatoon sounds like a pretty good deal to me. I'm hoping I can get it.

- Starfox, nice.

- And no Metroid. Okay.

Edited by PonyLaces

Ah, so nintendo themselves have finally embraced rule 63 of the internet with Linkle. :P

Mario and Luigi Paper Jam is honestly starting to look like a better paper mario game than sticker star.

Cloud... I don't know how to feel about it. I know there are a lot of fans of FFVII and they'll be really thrilled about it, but I've never been that big into the final fantasy series. It's pretty cool that Nintendo was able to get him in smash though.

Pokemon RBY - Please don't fix the glitches Nintendo! Let gamers rediscover the glorious missingno, the mew glitch that actually worked, the cinnibar guy that teleported on top of the gym, the amazing glitch city and all the pokemon over level 100 hiding along the cinnibar coast! The thing with the fixed wireless communications is actually fairly impressive though, it looks like they worked on it a bit more than just taking a rom and shoving it on the virtual console.

I'm looking forward to starfox zero. I'm going to keep my nostalgia levels on standby though until the game is actually released, it's been a decade since they released a new starfox game if you don't include the starfox 64 remake.

Posting this as I watch the Nintendo Direct.

-HD Re-release of Twilight Princess? Ok, cool, but kind of weak for your opener. ...And I just bought the original again for Wii, not even for cheap.

-Oh joy, Wolf Link Amiibo. That soundtrack is a better buy in than the Amiibo.

-What they neglect to say is it's also the 30th anniversary for Metroid. If we don't get something about that...

-"We hope anyone who ever donned the green cap will enjoy Twilight Princess HD." We already did. Like, ten years ago.

-"...because we want it to live up to your expectations."  Unfortunately, I don't think you'll ever live up to those expectations. Fans are a tricky thing.

- "And 30 years of Zelda goodness." Wait a minute, didn't you already use that for Skyward Sword? And how did that work for you?

- The Linebeck Uniform does NOT add extra depth. It just means you'll race ahead to score the best loot for yourself.

- "With turn-based gameplay, strategy is key." But not nearly as key as in competitive play. That stuff's intense.

- "Or you'll have to send out a rescue request to your friends." Orrrrrr give up. Ain't nobody got time for that. .

-  Not gonna lie, still excited for Super Mystery Dungeon. Just saying.

- Was that a classic Japanese painting rendered as an Inkling?

- You know, I heard Splatoon was fairly bare bones when it was first released. Now I see the logic behind it.

- Makes me wonder... is there an ultra-competitive underground in Splatoon? With kill/ratio guys?

-Visually striking is making it rain coins?

- Dang, I'm so hyped for playing Mario Maker at home, I just GOTTA plot my course-blazing through my smartphone!

- Calling everyday of Animal Crossing a roll of the dice really makes it sound more deadly than it is.

- "Each move is a new day." So wait, every course is a 144 turns? That seems a bit excessive.

- Somehow, Happy Points sounds even less impressive than Stars.

- "You must survive for seven days." Oh my word! I never thought I'd see an Animal Crossing game exiling villagers to die unless they fight to survive. ....Where's Bob, that sucker has this coming to him after giving me a Garbage Can for my birthday.

- "Hardcore Animal Crossing fans..." look, that's a pretty big assumption. Now I have to wonder about the MLG Animal Crossing community.

- No longer do you need a friend to take opponents on in doubles. Bring you super trained Amiibo and have them serve your opponents up some humble pie. ...No really, I see people super training amiibos for this.

- Gundam vs. Dinosaurs?! Sign me up! I'm a sucker for a good RPG.

- "Metroid fans, I'm looking at you." You are most assuredly not or you would've announced something better the Galactic Federation Forces.

- Badge Arcade? Laaaame!

- "And even stylish hats." Quick, hide your PCs! They're aiming for the Team Fortress 2 crowd!

- FAST Racing Neo. Because Nintendo has given up on F-Zero.

- So... would that make Typoman the darker, grittier form of WordGirl?

- You know it's important when the Powerpoint for your meeting is Very Important Meeting.

- Whoa whoa whoa. The hay is Devil's Third?!

- Pokken Tournament. How Pokémon Battles should look.

- Oh come on! Do you really have to make Mewtwo even more special? His Mary Sue ratings are going of the charts as is!

- Shadow Mewtwo, probably not related to those OTHER Shadow Pokémon we know.

- Did you really need a tank to take out those two fighters?

- Welp, guess Fox dumped Krystal.

- Random line about Falco is random.

- Fire Emblem goes the Call of Duty route and make DLC the pre-load special.

- Mega Man Legacy. Because we'll be darned if we actually have to make anything new for the series.

- Mega Man, now in Gold. Because what good is a toy if you can't brag about it?

- We've done everything to preserve Red, Blue, and Yellow exactly as they were. All the glitches, brokenness, and weird first game pieces you can be frustrated with again. So grab your Hypno, because that's all you'll ever need.

- Linkle? Genderflipped Link who dual wields crossbows and is a hunter? Ok, whose fanfic did they raid for that?

- Dragon Quest VII, Chronus... thingy, Legends of Legacy, Renoa the Sky Warrior. Is it just me, or is exploring the past becoming some big kick?

- Ohhhh, now I get it. Mega Man Legacy is trying to win over everybody who knows Mighty No. 9 is the true sequel to the series.

- Phoenix Wright in another fighting game?! How is a lawyer getting in to so many fights?!

- Cloud in Sm4sh? You mean, from the game where Square Enix finally said screw you guys to Nintendo? From a game that was never on Nintendo systems? Well, if he's allowed, I get the feeling all bets are off on who they'll allow in the game. His course looks great, though.

Well all of that was a mouthful.

• Confirmation on Twilight Princess HD being real or not.

I just realized you were talking about the Zelda game and not Twilight Sparkle. ...I've been hanging around here too much.

Pokemon Gen 1 on the VC is a great thing, It's been a long-time coming. So many people doubted it, I'm glad they've all been proven wrong. However, it is G/S/C that I need to have on VC, so I'm waiting for that.

Twilight Princess HD in of itself is pretty underwhelming, but that's what I expected, it is just a remastered port after all. I found it funny how they talked about Amiibo functionality like it was such an amazing thing that makes it "more than a prettier version"... But how exactly?

The OST being included with it makes it a must-buy for me, though.

Linkle is neat! I have no problem with iterations of Link being female. I mean, Link is a reincarnated figure, not just a single person living one life.

Cloud's addition is strange. I have no idea why they're trying so hard to get third party characters. People want first party characters. There are so many still to add/add back. Cloud is just flat out strange. What presence does Final Fantasy have on Nintendo systems these days? While FF has great history with Nintendo, nowadays it's no different from adding Sora. It's like "Yeah, our main title is skipping this system/company, but here have the character in SSB." It seems off, especially considering how many FIRST PARTY characters there still are to add.

I haven't seen any of the rest of the Direct, and thus don't have anything to comment. The only other thing that I might care about is the Paper MarioxMario and Luigi game, which I'll watch later.

Talk about an unexpected possim grade event. They announced zelda games and 3ds upgrades of pokemon r,b,y, on the 16th anniversary of receiving them for my tenth birthday of all days! I was kinda hoping they'd up and announce the next main pokemon game or at least some actual receivable events, like the shiny gen 6 leggies. When they started the music for hyrule heros I lost it, possim grade charging music right there. 

No news on Pokken. This game kind of intrigues me, because i am a huge Tekken fan and i want to see how this works with Pokemon.

They showed it, and said it's coming to the west.

- TPHD has... uh, odd graphics; not as good as Wind Waker HD, oddly. They seem... lackluster. I'll still get it, maybe it'll look better on the Wii U.

Glad I wasn't the only one!

- RIP METROID

;-;

-What they neglect to say is it's also the 30th anniversary for Metroid. If we don't get something about that...

;-;

Pokemon Gen 1 on the VC is a great thing, It's been a long-time coming. So many people doubted it, I'm glad they've all been proven wrong. However, it is G/S/C that I need to have on VC, so I'm waiting for that.

I doubt that will happen anytime soon because you can still play the remakes on the 3DS via a DS cartridge.

The OST being included with it makes it a must-buy for me, though.

It's not included, it's a pre-order incentive. Meaning if you don't pre-order, you don't get it. You're probably one of the few people I know that actually give a damn about the OST. Not saying that's a bad thing or you're the only one, but I kind of feel that's not a huge incentive for a lot of regular gamers who aren't big on music to pre-order because they will probably listen to it all of once and shelf it, or not at all. My brother-in-law buys OST editions of games all the time and 50% of the time he only listens to them once before shelfing them and the rest of the time... Not at all.

What presence does Final Fantasy have on Nintendo systems these days?

These days? None. Before 7, total. 1-6 were originally only on the Nintendo systems, but they didn't include anyone from those games...

I doubt that will happen anytime soon because you can still play the remakes on the 3DS via a DS cartridge.

Yet, here with Twilight Princess HD we have an example of a remaster released on a system that can play the original.

I see no reason why they can't release GSC on the 3DS. Are HG/SS even easy to find in stores anymore?

It's not included, it's a pre-order incentive. Meaning if you don't pre-order, you don't get it. You're probably one of the few people I know that actually give a damn about the OST. Not saying that's a bad thing or you're the only one, but I kind of feel that's not a huge incentive for a lot of regular gamers who aren't big on music to pre-order because they will probably listen to it all of once and shelf it, or not at all. My brother-in-law buys OST editions of games all the time and 50% of the time he only listens to them once before shelfing them and the rest of the time... Not at all.

I can't think of any reason you would make a point of this aside from trying to be argumentative, and you know where arguing with me gets you, don't you? =P

I mean, wasn't it earlier in this very topic where you mentioned (or at least agreed) that including the OST would be something that would help make the game's price acceptable? And then when it happens, and I am sticking to my word, all of the sudden you're like "Well, for the record, only you care".

Yet, here with Twilight Princess HD we have an example of a remaster released on a system that can play the original. I see no reason why they can't release GSC on the 3DS. Are HG/SS even easy to find in stores anymore?

I suppose you do have a good point there.

I can't think of any reason you would make a point of this aside from trying to be argumentative, and you know where arguing with me gets you, don't you? =P

Not at all! I am saying that Nintendo still doesn't seem to get what good pre-order incentives are. While it's commendable they don't include anything that affects gameplay to not punish those who don't pre-order, but an OST isn't exactly something that will make everyone run out and go "Oh wow! I NEED to pre-order now." While it's a nice inclusion, the target audience is GAMERS not musicians. While musicians may run out and get it, I have a feeling this is going to be like a lot of their other pre-order items where anyone who DIDN'T pre-order will still end up getting one of the many copies left over.

I mean, wasn't it earlier in this very topic where you mentioned (or at least agreed) that including the OST would be something that would help make the game's price acceptable? And then when it happens, and I am sticking to my word, all of the sudden you're like "Well, for the record, only you care".

Different topic, but two points I'd like to point out:

1. We don't even have a price yet.
  2. The OST is NOT included, it's a pre-order incentive. I said if the OST was INCLUDED it would boost the value of the game, even though it would still be fluff to most people. While it would justify a $50 price tag, it is still just fluff. Veeeery few people care about OSTs, god knows I have like 12 of the damn things from games that I got and have never listened to half of them and the other half I listened to all of once. While it can make the price tag more "worth it" as a pre-order incentive it's kind of pointless. I still intend to get the game, but I am not pre-ordering to get an OST that I'm pretty confident I'll be able to grab on ebay the day of if I REALLY want it for like $5-10.