Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Necromancy in FIM.

Singe

Do you think we might see necromancy at work in FIM?

Talking with dead spirits. Reanimating the dead. Zombie ponies. Zombie ponies passing on the magical curse that turns living ponies into zombies after a period of time.

Edited by Singe

Mmm. Don't think so. Seems pretty ill fitting of the tone of the show.  :) Seems like that would raise some dark questions about life and unlife that a feel-good, light hearted show like MLP would be better off to not bring up.

• Brohoof 2

well Necromancy isn't all about raising the dead or what not it's about manipulating life force (undead being residue life force), if it is used in the show it will most likely be used for empathy side of thing, that being giving someone huge bouts of emotions such as fear or anger or even all emotions making them a wreck unable to think of anything

As long as it's used as a means to communicating with spirits, I think it's fine, but I doubt a magic discipline usually associated with the undead will be featured in the show, despite being possible for it to happen  

Absolutely not, the target audience will get frightened and with that the ratings of the show will fall which would lead to an Early Cancellation because of a fall of toy sales because the Target Audience would be too scared to see it.

Mmm. Don't think so. Seems pretty ill fitting of the tone of the show.  :) Seems like that would raise some dark questions about life and unlife that a feel-good, light hearted show like MLP would be better off to not bring up.

Definitely not due to the reasons @SFyr has pointed out.

Even so, I don't mind the issue of necromancy or the undead cropping up in fanworks.  ziom05's artwork is awe-inspiring and delves into the possibility of undead ponies.  And Donitz's Story of the Blanks is one of the better horror stories I've heard from the fandom.  

Do we count comics? Because if so I've read that (in comics) the creation of changeling's involved some pony corpses, some weird flower and probably a whole lot of magic. So changelings would be undead sooo... Boom. Necromancy. Kind of.

Would we see it in the show? No. The show was and probably always will be aimed at younger audiences.

It's entirely possible. Grogar was a necromancer and they seem to be bringing back G1 characters.

I would go for Catrina before Grogar, though.

Also, the team holds themselves back on the scary stuff, but Hasbro actually pushes them to be scarier. Chrysalis for instance, used to be even less intimidating and more adorable before Hasbro asked for her to be scarier.

I'm pretty sure a lot of kids were startled by the BIG GIANT SKULL Rainbow Dash found in Griffonstone, too.

And timberwolves are pretty much wooden skeletons... I always thought of them as spirits possessing fallen tree limbs and stuff.

Edited by Lucky Shot
  • Brohoof 2

I'm sure it exists in the world of MLP, or at least the idea of it exists. If i remember right, Spike was scared that everypony got eaten by zombies in the first episode featuring Zecora.

As to if it will ever make an appearance in the show, I highly, highly doubt it.

But if it's any consolidation for anyone that really wants to see it happen, I let high level PCs use necromancy in my MLP based pathfinder games :P

Do you think we might see necromancy at work in FIM?

Talking with dead spirits. Reanimating the dead. Zombie ponies. Zombie ponies passing on the magical curse that turns living ponies into zombies after a period of time.

No, sweet Celestia no. Why would you want that?!

Death itself is a theme that isn't really explored in the show, so the idea of having zombie ponies and communicating with spirits, although it's a good one, doesn't seem like something the show will ever explore.

Hard to imagine someone summoning skeletons, though maybe ghosts:  ghosts were mentioned in some of the for-kids chapterbooks, though they never actually appeared, as the whole mission of the Rainbow Dash book was to prevent them from appearing, and that mission succeeded.

Though this does remind me...from the grand list of things Hasbro won't let a brony do in an FiM game adaptation:

1048) Not allowed to have the Apple family use a Ouija board to contact their dead parents, even if Ouija is Hasbro's IP.

• Brohoof 1

Well, undead ponies are more unlikely(A ghost however seems more possible, mayby an episode where for whatever reason Twilight talks with Starswirls ghost?). But it's not like MLP FiM is all shiny and happy. There are enough episodes that left some with a more unsure thinking. And dark episodes where there too. Nightmare Moon, Chrysalis, Sombra, Tirek ... I mean Sombras appearance could probably scare a few kids or when Tirek appeared and taking the magic of the poor stallion? Sure they only played, suuure.

But zombies or so probably not, darker themes always seems by kids shows more of a thing in a movie then the show.

• 3 years later...

You talk about Grogar, He has that power when he fight against Gusty and use the Power of Necromancy but too bed he lose. Gusty and her team beat Grogar and his Zombies but i know Grogar secret that power and didn't show that power to Chrysalis,Tirek,Umbrum Sombra and Cozy in the season 9.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

In "A Hearth's Warming Tail", when Snowfall sees the Ghost of Hearth's Warming's Past she comments "I didn't cast any spirit summoning spell". Also, in Ogres and Oubliettes, there are skeleton ponies. In 28 Pranks Later, the ponies of Ponyville imitate zombies. I also believe that Spike mentioned something about zombies in the episode where Zecora debuted...? Nonetheless, Necromancy definitely exists in MLP:FIM, though we never actually see it occur (though the resurrection of the Pillars could be argued to be necromancy). The argument that "it's too dark for MLP and isn't fitting of the theme" isn't a very good argument, for MLP has lots of dark themes and hints of very dark things throughout the show.

• Brohoof 1

On 11/14/2015 at 8:01 PM, cider float said:

King Sombra appears to be a ghost risen from the dead.

Not exactly. He's not a corpse, I don't even think he could be considered a pony at this point but he's very much alive. He's another for of life transformed by the elements themselves so I don't think he counts.