Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How much does your avatar influence your personality?

Vulcan

The title explains it pretty well,

I've had different avatars in different communities

and I've noticed that my personality and the way I post varies from site to site,

usually following the pattern of the the profile picture I use at the time.

So for me, it affects me quite a lot.

In a different perspective, I've had friends who change their avatar on a weekly basis, 

sometimes changing it simply because of their moods or a new transition in their lives.

So in their case , "They" influence their avatars.

Anyways , I'd like to know what you guys think.

How much does your avatar affect your personality?

has it affected the way you type or the things you post?

• Brohoof 5

They do affect my personality a little.

I act a bit more serious than I usually do if I'm using an avatar with a serious/unamused expression.

Edited by ThePiDay
  • Brohoof 2

After changing my avatars quite a bit a few years ago, I ended up finally settling on the magical alicorn from Rainbow Rocks.

It shows that I have picked a constant avatar, and that I love Rainbow Rocks (especially the Climax of the film)

Besides that I don't really know how much of my personality it shows.

• Brohoof 1

After changing my avatar a few moments ago,

I feel a bit more sincere, solemn,  and honestly a little depressed .

It's safe to say , My avatars still influence my personality quite a bit.

Edited by Vulcan
  • Brohoof 1

I don't think it affects me too much outside of the forum games. Maybe people interact with me differently because of my avatar.

This dancing kitten makes me appear less serious at times though. I don't plan to change it though, I like it as it is.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think it affects me too much outside of the forum games. Maybe people interact with me differently because of my avatar.

This dancing kitten makes me appear less serious at times though. I don't plan to change it though, I like it as it is.

I laughed so hard after reading your post XD

and you also make quite a good point, I wonder how much an avatar influences how other people view you, 

• Brohoof 1

I don't really know, I think i might post with a bit more of a "soft voice" than I might normally. I can't really tell though, I just changed it after a year or so and the previous avatar was fairly similar in theme.

• Brohoof 1

I don't know. I haven't really thought about it and honestly I don't change avatar that often either.. I don't think it affects me that much. It has more to do with what I'm discussing and who I am talking to.

• Brohoof 1

Well I change my avatar a lot because eventually I end up not happy with how it looks. I'll also change it if I've become obsessed over something.

I also feel like it's not me if I have anything other than a jpop/kpop avi. It's not that I don't like other things but I've had so many different kpop avis (most of them being T-ara's Eunjung *pokes current avi*) that it would feel weird for me to have something completely different. Actually it felt odd when I changed my Eunjung/T-ara set to a BigBang/GD set because I'm so used to having her as my avi lol. (it also felt kinda strange when I had those Monster High avis lol)

I post a lot of kpop related things but I feel like I'd do that regardless of who or what my avi is.

Well I change my avatar a lot because eventually I end up not happy with how it looks. I'll also change it if I've become obsessed over something.

I also feel like it's not me if I have anything other than a jpop/kpop avi. It's not that I don't like other things but I've had so many different kpop avis (most of them being T-ara's Eunjung *pokes current avi*) that it would feel weird for me to have something completely different. Actually it felt odd when I changed my Eunjung/T-ara set to a BigBang/GD set because I'm so used to having her as my avi lol. (it also felt kinda strange when I had those Monster High avis lol)

I post a lot of kpop related things but I feel like I'd do that regardless of who or what my avi is.

This may or may not mean something to you , but I think you've got jams ^_^

• Brohoof 1

I wish.

If I acted more like my oc i'd be out doing outdoorsy shit like walking, growing or studying nature instead of being a lazy git and whining about the grey, drab winter weather. XD

Significantly for a couple weeks then it slowly decreases with occassional bursts of influence again. Probably because I used to be on gaiaonline and people can make whatever tickles their fancy for an avi and put alot of work into getting them. But old habits tend to supercede the changes and if viewing the image becomes not as novel is when it loses its influence, or when it has reduced meaning. Like I have my current avi because of a song I found https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OboHC-aknSE and it made me feel more mellow in a cheeky way, but when I go to the debate forum my old argument habits supercede it. And when I don't listen to the song recently it means alot less to me to the point I get no influence. But its just really temporary usually. 

It just shows what I like. I'm more interested in how others perceive you based on it.

If you really want to get into it, an avatar can act just like what its name implies - an avatar for you. I've seen a lot of members act like he/she is his/her avatar. People identify with it in some way or it represents an aspect of his/her personality and choosing an avatar based on that aspect may be a person's way of emphasizing that particular aspect. He/she wishes to represent themselves a particular way and that avatar helps to achieve this.

Edited by ATGG
  • Brohoof 1

I choose my avatars wisely because i believe that avatars reflects the personality of  people i think, and generally impress us positively  =) '''

Edited by Kenshiro
  • Brohoof 1