Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How much does your avatar influence your personality?

Vulcan

As a character writer and pony roleplayer my persona will adjust depending on the character in my avatar, unless that character lacks a distinct personality (i.e. Lucky Shot is just me anyway, Squigly is a fighting game character with little depth, etc.)

In roleplays I tend to do better playing a character if I'm using a screenshot from the show as my avatar, rather than fan art.

I don't think my avatar influences my personality - in fact, I normally pick avatars that reflect my personality. They tend to be things that I like a lot, or things that I can relate to/people know me for.

My avatar sums me up pretty well to be honest. Someone alone... that thinks too much... and gets sad for nothing... Yes that's 100% me.

I'm actually curious what would happen if you changed your avatar to a very happy cheery pinkie pie avatar for a day or two. Do you think it Would make you be happier more often

?

:)

Edited by Vulcan
  • Brohoof 1

I don't think that my avatar influence how I post, actually it is the other way around: the avatar reflects my personality.

My avatar is Wander, from the Wander Over Yonder cartoon. He is an insufferable optimist, and also kind, helpful and sensible. That's how I strive to be :)

• Brohoof 1

I'm actually curious what would happen if you changed your avatar to a very happy cheery pinkie pie avatar for a day or two. Do you think it Would make you be happier more often

?

:)

Well ugh... I don't really know to be honest xD, I just don't consider myself really happy or anything at the moment so maybe one day...  ;)

• Brohoof 1

Well, i mostly imagine my Character in my Icon to say and post the things i write, like an Role Play kind off.

By the time i had an Rarity Avatar, i was trying to be generous. ( that was her element, right ? :please:  )

And now, with Pinkie Pie, im trying to post more funny...yeah, im obviously not Pinkie Pie or Rarity...so it probably doesnt work at all.

But i still imagine that i would be the character in my icon and try to act as them.

And sometimes i change my avatar depending on what mood i have.

I had an sad Pinkamena Ava once, because i was sad.

So yeah, Icons are changing my personality a bit ( or at least i try ) or show my current mood.

The influence is the other way around for me, for the most part. I use my avatar and signature to express myself and express who I am, my personality and whatnot. Now, what my avatar can do is help me feel better about myself because it will remind me of my personality and the good aspects of it, so it can be an influence in that way. It can help remind me of the good parts to who I am. 

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't think it influences me too much :huh: Mostly, it's just a reflection of my current mood/attitude to life, though it can also be a reminder to me of what I should try to be. My current avatar reminds me to try and stay nice and positive, and perhaps a little bit random. :P

My avatar is a representation of how others perceive me. I gave Koi-chan a link to an About Me page on my website as well as the About Me section on this forum, and asked her to draw what she saw. If I were to design my own avatar, it would reflect how I perceive the world and end up similar to this image I made back in July.

Therefore, my avatar is a symptom of my personality, not the other way around.

Personally I like Koi-chan's work more. One can learn a lot about themselves based on what others say and how others act around said individual. 

4062753_orig.jpg

PS: I forgot my shoutouts. What it do @?

Edited by SugarfootWillie

• 2 years later...

Heh, doesn’t affect me in the slightest.

In fact, I’ve actually had some people point out to me how funny they think it is when my usual personality comes out of a mismatching avatar.

Like on the Zelda: Breath of the Wild Discord I have an avatar of Revali. I love him, but he is a rather infamously egotistical jerk.

But that doesn’t change my own attitude, and when I talk to people I tend to be rather happy and bubbly, with a habit of squeeing and calling people “hon”.

I make some of the other people there laugh seeing “Revali” be all sugary and friendly.

I'm actually surprised to see someone bring this type of thing up since for years I thought I was the only one who really had my personality/attitude effected by my profile picture. 

It doesn't really have the same effect anymore but years ago, my profile picture would influence my personality a lot. I'd often change it depending on my mood.. though I think I often did it for attention truthfully. A profile picture is the first and often the only thing you see from the user. So I always saw it as a way to represent who you are, even if it is some fictional character. I'd basically use it as a opportunity to pretend to be a fictional character, pretending to be the character on my profile picture. I'm pretty sure I did this just for attention, as people would notice I'm acting differently, question it and BOOM, attention. But often times if I wasn't changing my profile picture to a character for these reasons, it'd still influence my personality/attitude. With a profile picture of a character that was evil for example, I'd act often serious and I wouldn't be my joyful self. Or I'd as mentioned simply copy the personalities of the character in my profile picture. I remember years ago having profile pictures of Wheatley from Portal 2 which influenced my personality/attitude a ton. I'd basically act like Wheatley. :please:

BgKs.gif 

The same thing happened with Music as well back then. My personality/attitude would also be heavily influenced by the type of music I was listening to at the time. 

Nowadays I still change my profile picture a ton but just because something looks cool or interesting. Not because I want attention.

• Brohoof 1