S05:E23 - The Hooffields and McColts  

179 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like?

• I hated it ... WAR!
    • I didn't like it
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT ... WAR! <3

Good episode for today. Twilight Sparkle and Fluttershy got their cutie mark flashes to be set in the mission to stop the fight in family feud between the Hooffields and the McColts. We shall stop the war this time.

Later in the episode their cutie mark flashes again and I say "Mission Success!" for a job well done!  :)

It was so so. A lot of really cute moments, but the whole feud ended way too easily. In the real story, the Hatfields, so blinded by their hate, didn't stop until the virtual extinction Randolph McCoy's bloodline. Of course, there's still McCoys today, but in the original fued, there were FAR more losses on the McCoys side than on the Hatfields side. This ended off way too suddenly and easily. 

• Brohoof 1

There are going to be SO many hillbilly jokes thanks to this episode, the episode itself was decent though I am looking forward to the hillbilly jokes.

It's great to see the Twilight and Fluttershy duo again. It's one of my favorites because of the way the way they interact with each other by try to rely on each other and come up with ideas vs Applejack/Rarity duo where there seems to be some kind of conflict between the two. I also like how we got to see Twilight filling more in as her role as the Princess of Friendship.

I know, right? I have been waiting for this duo almost the whole season! I was happy with the result too. Twi and Shy do great together and I'd love to see more episodes with them. I enjoy other pairs too but perhaps this one most because of how their personalities seem to work well together.  :fluttershy:

And we can always do with more Princess Book Horse.  :twi:

I thought this was a pretty funny episode! Twilight's enthusiasm was the best part. The Hoofields and the McColts themselves, though...Wow, were they just kind of...dumb. Hard to believe everything started over something so small and stupid. Some of their designs were pretty cool, though, I guess.

It's nice to Twilight and Fluttershy use their skills here. Fluttershy's ability to talk to animals had them learned what caused the problem to begin with; Twilight's magic managed to freeze everyone long enough to listen! Well done, map!

And also: Twilight pointed out how everyone had been sent out by the Map since the Season Premiere and is now speculating what’s going to happen next; one guess involves quantum physics ;)

OK, sorry I'm late everypony, just been a bit of a crazy day so far.  Welcome back everypony to another edition of "Batbrony Reviews!"  Today we've got the last (presumably) cutie map episode of the season, and it certainly did not disappoint.  I'll try to keep this short, but without further ado, this is "The Hooffields and McColts"!

So first of all, I'm usually not one for puns, but this episode's title is delightfully pun-a-licious.  B)   A hilarious ponified play on the Hatfields and McCoys, the most famous family feud in American history, if I do say so myself.  That aside, let's talk first about the main characters, Fluttershy and Twilight.  This is a pair we don't get to see very often in the show, and it was a lot of fun seeing the two of them solving this friendship problem together.  I will say that I found it a bit disconcerting at times how Fluttershy especially seemed like a doormat even more than usual since Twilight was (as always) taking her job of taking charge too seriously.  Now to be fair, it's understandable that this happened; Fluttershy never likes making herself the center of attention, whereas Twilight is the leader of the Mane 6 and the Princess of Friendship.  One naturally goes out of her way not to make a scene at all, and the other naturally goes out of her way to take charge of any situation.  So I don't exactly blame either of them, it's just in their natures that this would happen.  Normally Twilight's more outspoken friends will more readily offer advice and try to get Twilight to not try to do everything herself, but that's not really Fluttershy's style.  Still, she did find what was wrong in the end by using her own special talents for listening to those whom others ignore, and Twilight didn't turn down the advice and help she offered once she did offer it.  So in many ways, this was a great pairing for highlighting both characters' strengths and weaknesses, and despite it being a rocky road, they did manage to solve things in the end.  All in all, a solid episode for both of them.

large.png

Heheh, tiny ponies are happy ponies  :P  :squee: 

Also, Fluttershy has an animal book club.  This needs to be noted as much as possible because it is an amazing piece of information which anyone's life will be better for knowing.

The Hooffields and McColts themselves were pretty much everything I expected they would be.  Redneck, backwoods ponies feuding with one another to the death without an inkling as to why.  The set-up itself was pretty predictable if you're familiar with the history of the Hatfields and McCoys, or just the family feud storytelling trope in general, as was the conclusion.  In fact, the conclusion itself was a bit weak even if only because it seemed so easy, but then again, I kind of expected that going in considering I figured they'd be depicting a long, ongoing family feud getting resolved in a single episode, so it's not too upsetting even if it was cliched.  What was terribly enjoyable, however, were the Hooffields and McColts themselves as well as their feuding.  These were just some very fun, enjoyable, energetic redneck characters who owned that character-type through-and-through.  There wasn't anything demeaning about their characterization; yeah they were irrational, but hey, anyone can be irrational no matter who they are.  These ponies just happened to be irrational rednecks.  Their antics were hilarious, the various designs of all of them were very creative, and their matriarch/patriarch especially were enjoyable to watch.  All in all, I got pretty much everything I expected and wanted from them; redneck feuding, irrational behavior, a predictable but good lesson learned, and some great laughs along the way.

1022748__safe_animated_screencap_discove

Huh... I guess this means that cannons are now... canon  :comeatus:  I'm not sorry  :toldya:

1022760__safe_solo_animated_screencap_di

That tiny pony got some pipes

I was actually most impressed (though it may be partly because I'm in an environmental history class right now) by the fact that they managed to depict how war or conflict of this nature can negatively impact the environment itself.  The animals suffering because of these two feuding families, those types of environmental impacts in any war are real.  The environment, along with pretty much anything else, suffers when people get into long, ongoing military conflict, and like I said, I was very impressed that the writers managed to depict that in a way central to the plot that also worked for a children's show.  Aside from that, the animation as always was lovely (especially in the designs of the ponies in the two feuding families), Twilight and Fluttershy were both adorable in their own ways, and this episode was just fine and dandy all around.  Nothing amazing, but a fitting conclusion to the cutie map episodes.  We've only got three left on the season folks, and I've no doubt they're all going to be amazing!  See you next week everypony, until then, this is Batbrony signing off.  I'm off! *cue dramatic exit*

• Brohoof 3

It was interesting but it just didn't feel right. The whole feud thing made me incredibly uncomfortable (partly due to me having been in one myself. Over the internet, though). Maybe it's because it brought back unpleasant memories to me that I felt so uncomfortable. Further exacerbating the experience was how I've also tried being the mediator to conflicts and having failed spectacularly at that. To put the cherry on top, it didn't help that the resolution was so lackluster and unconvincing in its execution. Makes it feel a little insulting given what I've experienced for real (and inside the brony fandom no less...)

All in all,

sig-4213273.thumb.gif

Edited by Melanoma
  • Brohoof 1

I liked this episode a little more than last weeks episode, it was funnier and more entertaining, but I don't have too much to say about it. Fluttershy and Twilight were perfectly in character. I was glad Twi finally got called by the map. About time! It was interesting to see Twilight go type A book crazy while on princess duty. It shows she still needs to grow. That is great! Fluttershy was cute as always. They were a good pairing. The 2 feuding families reminded me of a movie I saw called "Lolly Madonna" based off a book called "Lolly Madonna War" even the accents were the same! I thought it was interesting that the McColts did not know Twilight had become the 4th princess. Must be due to isolation. I thought it was so cool how Twilight used the freeze spell again! I also liked that they used the fact both ponies could fly. My major problem with this episode was that the ultimate solution seemed way over simplified and the flashback and bit with the animals was just meh. I expected more after the initial ideas by Twilight failed. Oh well. 

I actually really liked this one. Not the best of season 5, but still really good. I liked seeing Twilight getting a chance to DO something, and how much she overly prepared for it. You can tell that she has been REALLY bored. It was also nice to see some interaction between her and Fluttershy, because I feel like we don't see them interact enough. Now granted, given that Fluttershy was involved, and how many times they shows her caring for the animals, it was a bit predictable that the animals would have something to do with solving the problem. But still, I thought that the humor was pretty good, and the episode was pretty enjoyable overall. I'd rate it an 8.5/10

• Brohoof 1

The episode wasn't bad at all, it featured a moral all could relate too.

And I liked the caracterization of the main cast, excluding obviously the two families.

But the humour was not the best and some parts of the episode felt a bit rushed.

But the pace was not bad, but could have been way better.

I rate this a 8/10

Attack of the Trojan Cake

An ok episode but nothing special (I enjoyed last weeks much more). Interesting how its vaguely based on the real life Hatfield McCoy family feud from after the 19th century.
  I don't think Twilight and Fluttershy are really a very fun pairing. They don't really contrast each other like other parings often do, as they are both the more rational of the mane six, and I cant help but think the episode would have been better with the other 4 mane six who would have probably had more crazy solutions.
  However Fluttershy was really cute in the episode especially when she she kept going "and am Fluttershy and am...just here"

• Brohoof 2

I don't really know what to say about it. It's not bad but it really didn't blew my mind. I already knew from the beginning how this would turn out. Though i have to say that not knowing why ponies hate each other can be realistic. Germans and Dutch also don't like each other and most of them also don't know why.

Some of the jokes remind me alot of the movie monty python and holy grail. Like with Fluttershy and Twillight looking up the wall and Twi saying she is the princess and the guard saying "i didn't knew we had a princess."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

I don't think Twi and Flutters worked good as a team. They are both too rational to make any cool shenanigans, like Rainbow and Pinkie did the Griffonstone episode. It would have been better if Flutters went with Rainbow, or Twi with Pinkie.

But i kinda liked Twi in this episode a bit more then in the last episode. Again, her character was kinda forced, but i kinda liked the struggling she was facing.

All in all, it's between average and below average.

• Brohoof 3

It was an alright episode. It was predictable but cute at the same time. Better than last week that's for sure. 

Is no one going to comment on how Twilight froze 2 armies? She is seriously OP.

I think this was a pretty good episode. It was nice seeing Twilight and Fluttershy together in an episode and they worked really well in this episode. The location they went too was pretty interesting and the Hoofields and the McColts were interesting families. It was also pretty cool seeing them use the balloon again after not seeing it being used after a while. I liked how both Twilight and Fluttershy tried helping in solving the situation with logic and peer mediation and the cake plan was pretty hilarious. I also liked how Fluttershy helped in solving the situation because of her being able to communicate with the animals of the area. The backstory was also interesting on how both families began fighting each other in the first place. All in all I found this episode to be really enjoyable and I look forward to see what happens in the next episode.  ^_^