S05:E23 - The Hooffields and McColts  

179 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like?

• I hated it ... WAR!
    • I didn't like it
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT ... WAR! <3

Midway through the episode, I can already see a solution to the problem: The feuding families are good at something the other family is not. They should help each other!

It's also been a while since we've seen fighting dust clouds!

Same here, but I missed the dust clouds. It didn't occur to me that they were used.

I liked it pretty well. I think these past two episodes are going to build towards the finale. Also I loved the designs of the hills and the ponies. Also I just had to save this shot. Luckily twilight froze time.post-31947-0-16810500-1447693888_thumb.png

• Brohoof 3

I liked it pretty well. I think these past two episodes are going to build towards the finale. Also I loved the designs of the hills and the ponies. Also I just had to save this shot. Luckily twilight froze time.attachicon.gifScreenshot_2015-11-16-10-46-05.png

Screenshot isn't working, I would also recommend putting "spoiler" at the beginning of the post. Some people hate spoilers, and spoilers count as screenshots.

War....war never changes...(I've been playing WAY too much Fallout 4 the past few days....)Been awhile since we seen an episode with physical violence/fighting/war going on...It was an interesting change of pace of the last few episodes.

This weekends episode was fantastic. Flutters finally got called by the map.  Though, the episode itself was based on a similar dispute based thing with something else, having to do with two "Clans" of Southern folk arguing over nothing. I forget the exact names but, I think it was an actual thing? I'm not totally sure....I know there was a similar thing in Borderlands 2, with the Hodunks and the Zafords,which were two clans...one Irish and one southern. 

Either way, in the end a great lesson was learned.

Great portrayal of Fluttershy in this episode as well, she showed a lot of the traits that I love about her. Then again I'm totally biased. She had some of the best lines in the episode I think. "You said books twice." or "Ever since the map called us? But that was only 5 minutes ago...

On 11/16/2015 at 11:11 AM, xenozfan3 said:

Also I just had to save this shot. Luckily twilight froze time.

Wow... At first I thought this pic was some fanart. It wasn't until I took a closer look and realized it was the clan ponies fighting and not Twilight about to bash Pinkie's head in with a shovel...

This episode was a fraction of a second away from becoming incredibly dark. o_o

Edited by Truffles
Removed spoilers and clarified the apparent violence

post-5578-0-70191200-1447647238.png

You know! It is just a kids show! 

Twilight sure has a really weird fixation of shaking her rump directly in front of others

• Brohoof 3

I liked it 

Twilight going full adokable mode is something I always love to see, and the fact she managed to do a ton of research in just five minutes is both amazing and hilarious. The interactions between her and Fluttershy were really well done. I hope we get more episode with these two in the future.

It seems like AJ should have been there, you know being an earth pony, that both grows food and builds stuff. But I guess due to process of elimination, it was inevitable that it would be Twi and shy. Also, why do two ponies that can fly need to take a hot air balloon anyway? Once again, fluttershy acts like she's too weak to carry a bag with a book in it, bitch please! We've seen you whip a bears ass, anything to keep from helping your friends and be as useless as possible I guess. This would have been a better episode if fluttershy was "too scared" (her go to excuse for not wanting to help her friends or participate) and didn't want to go, and then we see how the cutie map deals with ponies that don't answer the call.

Best thing about this was that we learned that Snips last name is probably Mc Colt.

• Brohoof 1

Not bad. Pretty much a rehash of "Over a Barrel" but decent and hilarious enough. Gotta love yet more adorkable Twilight. And the animal friends helped solve the conflict! They just need to talk fluently. Glad to see more World-Building, sadly, no monsters were added to the bestiary.

Not bad. Pretty much a rehash of "Over a Barrel" but decent and hilarious enough. Gotta love yet more adorkable Twilight. And the animal friends helped solve the conflict! They just need to talk fluently. Glad to see more World-Building, sadly, no monsters were added to the bestiary.

Not really similar to Over a Barrel, since Pinkie Pie wasn't around to accidentally make things worse like in that episode.

• Brohoof 1

I didn't really care for the storyline of this episode, but I like seeing Fluttershy and Twilight as a team. (Just look at my avatar.) :)

I thought Fluttershy holding a book club for her animals was pretty funny.

Edited by Grepper
  • Brohoof 2

I loved this episode! It showed my top two favorite ponies interacting together and I thought it was overall enjoyable. Loved the humor and I found myself smiling a lot through it. I especially loved the character development here, and I have been noticing that the writers have taken character development and placed it as a priority in these new season 5 episodes. All I can say was that I really loved this episode, and it has become one of my favorites so far!  :P

• Brohoof 2

The episode was ok.  BUT it pissed me off.   They really fucked with history on this one.  The Hatfield and McCoy's Fued didn't happen too terribly far from where i live.  Thats not what bugged me so much as them screwing with history.

Southern Pride

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatfield%E2%80%93McCoy_feud

Edited by CodeHell

This wasn't an especially bad episode per se, but I found it very boring and extremely predictable.

Fluttershy's animal book club was cute.

Twilight & Fluttershy are the most uninteresting duo in the show -- they are the only pair of the six that have zero dynamic. They never argue, or conflict, or get in each other's way, or even make snide comments at each other; they both just kind of do their own thing, almost like they're ignoring one another. I hated watching their blandness back in the Philomena episode and I hated it here too.

The Hooffields and McColts themselves were generally uninteresting characters (the McColt dwarf being the better of the two with a few funny line deliveries), and the various "plot twists" and jokes of their conflict were uncreative and very predictable.

Twilight had no particular need to be present. Most of her friendship solution formulae thingies were absolutely no help, except for "look for the root of the problem", which was solved completely by serendipity anyway and likely would have been if she was not there since Fluttershy spent the entire conflict watching out for animals, who told her everything she needed to know. The only real contribution Twilight made was freezing the fight so Fluttershy could speak, but why couldn't Fluttershy have merely lost her temper at the abuse of the animals and commanded everyone to stop with her infamous powers? It would have been just as believable as the literally magic stop and be quiet spell.

All in all, the episode may have been suitable for children who were somehow unfamiliar with the basic concept of "two idiots don't even remember why they're fighting and their skills perfectly complement one another so they learn to team up", but it was unfortunately not anything fresh or particularly entertaining for me, and it felt like Twilight was kind of forced into the story, since she was completely useless except for 30 seconds.

The episode was ok.  BUT it pissed me off.   They really fucked with history on this one.  The Hatfield and McCoy's Fued didn't happen too terribly far from where i live.  Thats not what bugged me so much as them screwing with history.

Southern Pride

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatfield%E2%80%93McCoy_feud

They weren't naming the families after the specific Hatfield and McCoy family. They were naming them after the figure of speech that rose from that conflict, indicating any bitter feud between two groups.

Edited by Lucky Shot
  • Brohoof 1

They weren't naming the families after the specific Hatfield and McCoy family. They were naming them after the figure of speech that rose from that conflict, indicating any bitter feud between two groups.

I see what your saying but ... Meh..  Still dislike it.

I did say the episode ok.  I liked it but still...

Critiquing from a "kids show" point of view, this was a very fresh and important take on a classic moral story.

We've all heard the story of two people or groups who have been fighting and holding a grudge for so long that they've forgotten what it's about, and everything gets better when they realize that friendship is better for them than fighting.

What was different about this version of that story was the presence of a third party affected by the fight - the animals. This is the first time I've ever seen this type of story (when it's being told for kids) take into account the innocent bystanders who are negatively affected by wars or fights between two other groups who share space with them. This episode teaches the children who watch it to be aware of the entirety of a situation, and not just their own small part in it. I hope this episode and other kids media like it will create an entire generation of people with a more globally conscious worldview than most people have today.

Sure as an adult viewer I found the story to be quite predictable, but it was well-executed and that's what makes it interesting for me to watch.

• Brohoof 2