S05:E23 - The Hooffields and McColts  

179 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like?

• I hated it ... WAR!
    • I didn't like it
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT ... WAR! <3

I really loved this Episode. Surprising considering how much i disliked the last one.  :ooh:

I found the Episode to be funny, i found the setting interesting, the whole episode gave me flashbacks to a kinda similar Episode from Generation 1 about a icecream war and i also liked the characters.

I really enjoyed this Episode as a whole.

I dont have really much else to say, was a good Episode in my eyes.  :squee:

I never thought I'd see the day Twilight starts tearing pages out of her precious books :(

This bothers me more than it should...

Plus, how come the ferret starved if there were so many mice and birds around it? Do the show creators realize that carnivorous animals exist?  :scoots:

Okay, I'm probably nitpicking.

Overall, the episode was pretty meh... Nice lesson for the kids, but... the reason the two clans started fighting in the first place didn't feel very convincing.

I never thought I'd see the day Twilight starts tearing pages out of her precious books  :(

This bothers me more than it should...

Twilight actually cares very little about the health of her books. In several episodes we regularly see her just hurl them all over the place, frequently landing open, on the open side, on the ground, and generally taken poor care of.

This is completely consistent with Twilight having OCD. People with OCD are very organized in specific aspects of their lives, but are frequently slobby in general.

• Brohoof 1

Overall, the episode was pretty meh... Nice lesson for the kids, but... the reason the two clans started fighting in the first place didn't feel very convincing.

Actually that is quite appropriate.  The actual feud between the Hatfields and the McCoys started over a dispute about the ownership of a hog.  Seems a trivial thing to have been responsible for a dozen deaths.

• Brohoof 1

I've always felt that complaining without offering a better solution amounts to just plain bitching. In my last post I was bitching, but now I think I have a better solution.

If you read my last post I was complaining that AJ should have been the one to go with Twilight. An Earth pony solving Earth pony problems, just works better. Also AJ is good at both building things AND growing food. Plus she's "country folk" too. Both clans would probably have listened to AJ, instead of an alicorn, and a pegasus pony meddling in earth pony business. And since AJ can't fly, the hot air balloon would have made more sense. Also AJ wouldn't have bitched about a book in her bag weighing too much.

So Apple Jack would have made more sense than fluttershy, but she already got her "map episode" adventure with Rarity, in "Made in Manehatten". While that was a good episode, I always like episodes with AJ and Rarity paired up. AJ was out of place in Manehatten, which could have served the plot, but it really didn't. So, what if fluttershy had gone with Rarity in "Made in Manehatten"? Rarity and fluttershy make a nice paring, as we have seen in other episodes. fluttershy could have used the lesson that she learned in "Hurricane Fluttershy", that no matter how small of a part you contribute, it makes a difference, which was the lesson of "Made in Manehatten" anyway. If she taught the Manehattenites that lesson, it would have given her character development. There could have even been a bit about her stage fright in there.

While "Made in Manehatten" was a good episode as it was, it could have been even better with fluttershy. Which would have left "Hoofeilds and Mc Colts" open for Apple Jack.

As it is, (in my opinion) "Hoofeilds and Mc Colts" sucks. But it could have been pretty good with AJ, instead of... what we got.

"So please stop all this senseless fighting!"

Wouldn't it be hilarious if Twilight were then "pumpkined" while still airborne?

So, throughout the episode Twilight keeps reading from that silly notebook, as opposed to figuring things out which is a trademark of her character.  And then during the ending, this happens:

"I didn't even have to read from this silly friendship portfolio!"

Obvious slap in the face... is obvious!

Yeah, didn't enjoy one second of this episode.

Edited by chessmaster

This is the first time I've ever seen this type of story (when it's being told for kids) take into account the innocent bystanders who are negatively affected by wars or fights between two other groups who share space with them. This episode teaches the children who watch it to be aware of the entirety of a situation, and not just their own small part in it.

I do agree. Disagreements between two people often do have effects on otherwise non-involved third-parties. Although we tend to consider choices and situations from the perspective of a relational vacuum, this is not how it works in reality. Also, communication and cooperation are the best means by which to solve problems. I think it's fair to say that the two sides in the episode did need the "neutral" ponies to get them to see that.  :grin2:

• Brohoof 1

I live like an hour and a half away from where the hattfields and mccoys lived so watching this episode is like watching a slice of home LOL

the accent is not thick enough though, out where i live the hillbilly draw is like it's own language

I'm wondering about the one McColt stallion who's surprisingly well-dressed. He has a tuning-fork cutie mark. Is he a reference to someone?

dheknr.jpg

You have all these scrufts with bad hair, teeth and (likely) hygene...and then there's this one guy among them who looks like a dapper 19th century gentleman with an Old West flair.

There's got to be a reason for the design. He must be a shout-out to something.

Edited by Pinkiesister75

If you want the shout outs.. you might look into the hatfield and mccoy feud, also this link might tell you some things.

As was said in this video, this stallion was likely a shout out to Perry Cline, who had married a McCoy, shift this stallion to human and his look becomes very similar

Edited by Reading Heart

If you want the shout outs.. you might look into the hatfield and mccoy feud, also this link might tell you some things.

As was said in this video, this stallion was likely a shout out to Perry Cline, who had married a McCoy, shift this stallion to human and his look becomes very similar

Ah! A Perry Cline pony! I wonder what the tuning fork means? Was he into music? Radio? Piano-tuner? Seismologist? Is the cutie-mark actually a Jaw-Harp? He definitely looks like Perry Cline (as he appears in that Hatfields & McCoys miniseries).

While I don't like the writers using hillbilly stereotypes, this episode could have been a lot worse.

I will also admit that I felt very self congratulatory about 5 minutes in, hearing that one family was great at farming and poor at building, the other vice versa. "Aha!" I said to myself. "Self," I said, "this episode is so predictable. Each family will realize the other has the skills they need and that will make them become friends." Boy, was I wrong, and I really do salute the writers for successfully blindsiding me with the relevance of that information. So much for my smug satisfaction! For as you know, the relative strengths of each family were passed down by the two original settlers, and didn't end up being any real part of the resolution. A red herring for which I fell hook, line and cliché.

Plus we got to see Twilight using her "stop" spell from Castle Mane-ia again. It's always a plus in my book when the writers remember to use the shit they created earlier.

I also retroactively owe Amending Fences an apology for marking it down for not using the Map, since the writers were clearly going for the "each oddball pairing gets a mission from the Map" thing with the three episodes based on it. 

To be honest, this episode left me sitting on the ground, rubbing my cheek, while the show stands above me, cracking its knuckles and growling, "You want 'nother bitch-slap, Sunny?" :sneer:  Figuratively speaking, of course. 

More of this kind of writing, less of the hillbilly stereotype and FiM will be back on top. At least until the next episode of Steven Universe airs.  ;)

• Brohoof 3

Well it a casual slife of life episode pretyt much to me. IT ans't bad or anything and  you coudl clearly see the ending a Km away.   But overall fluttershy role in thsi as good. she as assritive and such so yay she learned! her lessions after all.

someone unexpected..jeez Twilight its' you have foresight into your own future..or at least two episode isn the future

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I honestly think AJ would have been better than Fluttershy in this situation because she would have actually tried to rein Twilight in and show her that books aren't everything. Also, she's a farm pony, so she would probably understand the conflict and be more active in resolving it. I think she was probably the first choice for this episode, but the writers wanted everypony to get called by the map. :huh:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This episode is from the few that make me really laugh a lot, I loved that it is Fluttershy episode at least half and I found the conflicts and the means of dealing with them very funny.