Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general When Has A Fandom Rubbed You The Wrong Way?

Castle Bleck

The Furry fandom's over-emphasis on sexually explicit content really bothers and creeps me out a bit. Anime fans are in the same boat. I have to say i don't get along with a majority of other bronies and largely avoid brony sights other than this one, they're cringy and overbearing as Hell. 

• Brohoof 2

Shipping baffles and kind of irrates me.

Moreso the insisting on it, when there's nothing there. Big Mac and Marble Pie...makes sense. And it was insinuated.

Plus the word shipping.

Edited by PiratePony
  • Brohoof 2

It's hard for me to really get mad at a fandom as a whole because it's too wide of  a spectrum to get made at a whole fandom. It consists of many people and I'm pretty sure not everyone is gonna be the same. It would feel like I'm making a bunch of blanket statements to say stuff like, "This fandom infuriated me." Because I would feel like I am bashing everyone. So keep in mind, what I say only applies to certain people.

Brony Fandom: When it comes to watching the show, people seem unpleasable. I know most episodes get mostly positive reception, but with every episode comes that really loud vocal minority that take one problem with an episode and go on long tyrades as if it's the worst thing to do in writing. "OH MY GOD! THIS CHARACTER ISN'T ACTING LIKE THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO! OOC!" "OMG! TWILIGHT SAID SOMETHING TO MOVE THE PLOT! SHE'S OVERTAKING THE SHOW!" "THE SHOW HAS BEEN GOING DOWNHILL SINCE SEASON 2! WHY AM STILL HERE RANTING ABOUT IT 5 SEASONS IN AND JUST MOVED ON? WHO KNOWS?" That's a problem when it comes to discussing episodes. Too many people try so hard to be critics without realizing the things they get mad at really aren't things that worth getting mad at. Also the whole love and tolerance thing. It's impossible to love and tolerate everything. Would you tolerate someone if they were say, trying to kill you? And of course there's all the past controversies with some people going as far as sending death threats to the writers. Hence, when Filli Vanilli aired. Look, you have the right to your opinion for not liking an episode, but don't send death threats to the writers about it. They won't take you seriously.

Pokemon: Genwunners. They bash later gens of Pokemon when I'm pretty sure they've never played them. Some did and didn't like it and that's okay and all, but then there are the ones who come up with some of the stupidest reasons to hate the later gens, such as bad Pokemon designs which have always been there.

Sonic: They're in a similar boat as bronies where some are just unpleasable. They actually freaked out over an eye color change at one point. Why does that matter in a good game?

Sports fans: "OMG, MY TEAM LOST! SCREW THE REFS! THEY'RE THE REASON WE LOST! THEY'RE BIASED!" 

And finally, certain fans of any Youtuber who does opinion related videos. Those certain individuals will just go around parroting the opinion of that user without thinking on if it's valid. It's basically and excuse to not have an opinion of your own and just rely on someone else. Think for yourselves for once and don't rely on other people for opinions. You are your own person.

• Brohoof 4

This fandom to be honest.

I hope I don't get much hate for this, but I don't really associate with it too much. I suppose in a very loose sense of the term I am a "brony". But I don't much care for the show as a show, if that makes sense. I don't relate to the characters or anything. It's more or less just something that's notably pretty and cute to look at. To me, it's amusing in the same way watching a playful cat can be amusing. So when people talk about how this show means the world to them, or somehow saved their life, I just have my doubts that they really know what they're talking about.

If you're really in to the show, then so be it. But people want to make it out to be existential and life changing, and I just really can't get behind that.

Edited by Aedaz

This fandom mostly.

I really don't like the OC craze (99.9% are so cringy bad)

People who are too easily upset (this fandom is turning into tumblr). /oooh I saw a R34, *triggered* /oooh EqG *triggered* etc etc.

I can tell a loooot more but I have a feelling it would offend like 85% of people here.

Edited by K1NG_NAZARA
  • Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...

An entire fandom? Never happened. Some individuals have bothered me, but that's it. 

Well, definitely the Silent Hill Fandom.

I mean, they dont do that much bad stuff and i like to talk about Silent Hill but whenever someone asks me about my opinion on the games, or i post in in treads like : Yeah, my favorite game would be part 4 or Shattered Memorise, because their are unique and i dont like part 2 that much, because the other worlds werent that great...

Then they just start to spam me with stupid AVGN Gifs and tell me that i wouldnt be a real Silent Hill Fan, with sentences like :

How can you like Part 4? Part 4 isnt even a Silent Hill game, it was never supposed to be and everything after three sucks.

And how dare you to dislike part 2??? Part 2 is the best! I just assume you know nothing about Silent Hill and are to stupid to understand the complex story!!

Silent Hill isnt about the Otherworlds, its all symbolic for the peoples minds in Silent Hill!And if you dont like part 2, you should just play it again and again and again UNTIL YOU LIKE IT!!!

And then they just talk and talk and talk and i dont really want to.

I guess some Silent Hill fans are WAY to obsessed over Part 2 and should respect other opinions more.  :ooh:

Not all Silent Hill Fans are like that, i know. I actually had nice conversations with some, but with others...no way. I just dont want to talk with those.

Silent Hill 1 and 2 are the most fondly remembered, it seems. I think everything that came after was diminishing returns, a slow process of Team Silent rehashing what had already been done as Akira Yamaoka's inspiration dried up. But you have the right to pick any favorite you want. SH 4 and Shattered Memories are both fine games.

For the record, my favorite one by far is Silent Hill 3. 

• Brohoof 1

Oh are we doing this right now? Sweet

Things Fandoms do in general that tick me off, if you are guilty of these, kiss my grits:

-Crusading against "Offensive" fan art and fan fiction like GrimDark and r34 stuff. These things are PROPERLY TAGGED for a reason. If you don't like it, filter it the fuck out. I can't tell you how many grimdarks that were actually pretty decent that had a crap ton of dislikes and hateful comments EVEN THOUGH YOU KNEW EXACTLY WHAT IT WAS BEFORE YOU CLICKED IT. voting down something badly written or drawn is one thing, giving constructive criticism is one thing, But Merely seeking it out and attacking it because it doesn't fall under your tastes makes me kind of hate your guts honestly. 

-Letting Tumblr infect the fandom: That cancerous website is the death of good fandoms. I don't know if I'll ever bother with Steven Universe because I like interacting with a shows fandom, and god dammit did Tumblr sink its fangs into that thing. Bronies, at least in terms of youtube and on here seemed to of dodged that particular bullet, but I hear Undertales fandom is getting corrupted by Tumblr scum too. The people who are deeply imbedded in that site don't care about those fandoms or the show, they care about their twisted Ideology and forcing everyone to conform. Tumblr is basically Starlight Glimmer Pre redemption 

-Being fucking easy Troll bait: Just block them, for real. I have a zero tolerance policy, you start getting unnecessarily hostile and belligerent with me and you don't have any real point to make then I'm blocking you and you are staying blocked. Why can't people just do the same, it would filter out all these stupid flame wars with people just craving attention so fast. 

-SPOILING: Undertale's fandom especially is being atrocious about this; Spoiling everything for new people to the point where they don't even want to engage in the material after the "fan" is done. If you aggressively spoiled something for someone without their consent you're scum, end of story. 

I try to judge people one by one, instead of getting mad at entire groups of people, although sometimes it's hard. I think it's natural for humans to generalize eachother to some extent.

Usually it's been the Anime fandom that I've been ticked off at, as some anime fans have had a problem with me disliking anime and the culture surrounding it, or simply just preferring western cartoons over japanese. That's pretty annoying and cringy, although at the end of the day you gotta realize that such people are everywhere, in every group of people. It's the same annoying mindset, regardless of what group they're a part of. So I try to stay positive and to ignore those people, because I'm in this fandom to have fun, nothing else.  :)

Edited by Ferg

I don't think a fandom's ever infuriated me. They've annoyed me a bit at times though.

I'm not incredibly fond of parts of the Naruto fandom. They can be kinda mean, and the shipping wars are hellish.

And actually, there's one thing about bronies. I don't know if it's true or not though.

I heard that some bronies were trying to establish themselves in the Steven Universe fandom. Except that instead of just calling themselves Steven Universe fans, they separated themselves from the other fans and tried to call themselves "gemtlemen."

It makes sense for bronies to stand up for themselves in the Mlp fandom, because it's a franchise that's been called girly. But Steven Universe isn't dominated by either gender- separating the fans in the way these bronies were allegedly trying to do just creates an unnecessary divide, and it kinda felt like an attempted "takeover" of the SU fandom.

And being a fan of both SU and Mlp, I was like, "no guys... stop. Bad call. Don't do this please. People will not be happy."

But other than that I love the brony culture. XP

• Brohoof 2

The FNAF Fandom. A lot of it is made up of whiny 9-year-olds who don't understand the game and think "Purple Guy" should be their lover because he isn't a child-murdering psychopath. ETC, ETC.

It bothers me when Bronies crossover too many things or shove mlp in other's faces. I'm guilty of crossing mlp with  lots of things (FNAF, Undertale,ETC.), but I don't shove it everywhere.

Also the Tumblr Steven universe fandom that drove a girl to suicide because a drawing of Rose Quartz was "too skinny".

While I am also in this fandom, some people in the anime fandom annoy me. Like "YOU DON'T WATCH THIS SHOW YOU'RE NOT A REAL ANIME FAN" or" YOU DON'T WATCH ANIME??????? YOU'RE TRASH!"

Although I have a friend who's never seen any anime (although I think she'd dislike a lot of anime) ot steven universe, me and my friend talk about it constantly (which I have to admit may get annoying..), and she only says she hates it because of that. SHE'S NEVER EVEN SEEN EITHER OF THEM.

Now that's off my chest...

:kindness:  sorry. :lie:

Edited by SenpaiPinkamena

• 4 years later...

the Minecraft fandom is pretty bad, imo

the PvP community can be pretty toxic. whenever somebody points this out on the Hypixel (the largest server on minecraft currently) forums, people usually say stuff like 'it isn't really. the minecraft pvp community isn't that toxic compared to other competitive video game communities.' the second statement may be true, but why would you measure the toxicity of a community by comparing it only to toxic communities? that's just dumb

the (much larger) part of the Minecraft 'fandom' i think is far worse, however, is the fake 'fans:' people that play and praise Minecraft just because it's popular. these are the exact same people that hated on and ridiculed Minecraft - and even anybody that played it -  before it was cool. in year or two, they'll either forget about it or go back to shitting on it

The GTA fandom are antisocial, the Saints Row fandom are oversensitive fanboys, the CoD fandom are gullible and the Battlefield fandom are egotistical. :maud:

Why can’t all fandoms be like MLP’s? :muffins:

• Brohoof 1

When fans are toxics and annoying as fuck. Like going about “no you’re wrong me right wah wah!” :crackle: In short, complaining over the stupidest little things. If It feels like you’re walking in a minefield and trying not to trigger idiots, that’s when you know it’s a bad fandom.

• Brohoof 2

Isn't generalizing fandoms kinda silly especially with all the stigma in this one?

Worst experiences I've had are rampant homophobes on a Sonic forum and shipping discourse in a Pokemon community (to the point of accusing eachother of awful things), but most peeps aren't like that in either fandom 

• Brohoof 2

K-pop fans tend to irritate me :lie: I have nothing against the music or the artists (in fact I like some of them), I just think a lot of the more vocal fans are obnoxious and the friends I have who are involved in it are always complaining about some kind of toxic drama going on with other fans. It just doesn't sound like a community that I want to associate myself with. :yeahno:

For the MLP community I would say that time the person with the red and black OC was about to do something he shouldn’t have (hopefully some of you know who I’m talking about)

For the FNAF community I would say the times people argued over theories that really weren’t 100% canon to begin with. At the time FNAF 4 was released there was a lot of arguing about a lot of stuff and most of it was unnecessary.

• Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, ExplosionMare said:

For the FNAF community I would say the times people argued over theories that really weren’t 100% canon to begin with. At the time FNAF 4 was released there was a lot of arguing about a lot of stuff and most of it was unnecessary.

Sounds like fun though. Around that time, I think even I lost track of everything FNAF canon. The game didn't make it easy, and I knew nothing about the book.