Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

cutie mark crusaders not very original

Chronamut

So I am thinking that the cutie mark crusaders cutie marks are not really that original.

They basically just took their "sisters" marks and added a shield under it.

Well, with the exception of sweetie belle, she got a singing one on a star - but the others got a heart on an apple, for the apple family, and a lightning on a feather for our little chicken scootaloo..

Kinda makes you wonder how much ones "family" influences their cutie mark - everyone in the apple family has apple related ones..

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Chronamut
  • Brohoof 2

I myself like their makes. The shield is to show their team method. I think they are quite original marks, rare marks to be exact. It makes them valuable cutie marks, it also means you will always be able to know it's the cutie mark crusaders. If they are dressed up, etc.

• Brohoof 1

I sorts disagree and agree..

Like.. half-agree?

I like the fact that they got their marks.. and each are sorta original.. but in my opinion.. they're not unique enough..

I imagined them discovering each of their true callings and having unique cutie marks depicting their talents..

But instead we got a shield on each..

Sweetie got a musical note (Which is fine as it's representing her talent..)

Applebloom got an apple (Which is fair enough, all apple family's marks have something to do with apples..)

Though Scoots got a lightning bolt? I don't see what that has to do with scooters.. maybe she'll one day be as fast as lightning on her scooter or something?

But yeah.. Their marks they have is fine.. I just expected something a bit more unique and individual rather than 1 cutie mark divided by 3 ponies.. with small alterations..

• Brohoof 1

I sorts disagree and agree..

Like.. half-agree?

I like the fact that they got their marks.. and each are sorta original.. but in my opinion.. they're not unique enough..

I imagined them discovering each of their true callings and having unique cutie marks depicting their talents..

But instead we got a shield on each..

Sweetie got a musical note (Which is fine as it's representing her talent..)

Applebloom got an apple (Which is fair enough, all apple family's marks have something to do with apples..)

Though Scoots got a lightning bolt? I don't see what that has to do with scooters.. maybe she'll one day be as fast as lightning on her scooter or something?

But yeah.. Their marks they have is fine.. I just expected something a bit more unique and individual rather than 1 cutie mark divided by 3 ponies.. with small alterations..

Scootaloo's mark is probably there to say Scootaloo will be a racer one day, as Scootaloo is a pegasus of course. (or a chicken)

• Brohoof 1

Scootaloo's mark is probably there to say Scootaloo will be a racer one day, as Scootaloo is a pegasus of course. (or a chicken)

The episode proved that Scootaloo isn't a chicken. Chickens can't get cutie marks.

Yes, but we're going off-topic. Lets go back on topic to thread. Or stop posting at all.

Then speaking of Scootaloo, I can say she's the only one I agree on the OP with. Her mark really is a take on Rainbow Dash's lightning bolt and doesn't reflect her scooter stunts at all. In contrast, Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle's marks were to be expected as the former's family works with apples on a daily basis and Sweetie Belle has a gift for singing when she's at her best.

• Brohoof 1

I'd have to disagree. Scootaloo doesn't just have a talent for riding her scooter..... she seems to be good at many other active-related things which were shown in the episode "Showstoppers" when she was better at choreography which could explain the bolt in that case. The wing is there for irony: it could foreshadow her being the best flyer one day despite her being a late flyer OR it could be there in proof that she is no less of a pegasus than any other Pegasus just because she CAN'T fly.

Applebloom's cutiemark is to be expected...an apple within a heart because she's bound by the apple family and her talents are there. She takes after her sister to be in charge and she was raised there....it wouldn't make sense had her cutie mark been something else

Sweetie Bells doesn't even need an explanation. The star and music note says it all and must b. The most original.

Regardless, I'm satisfied with their cutiemarks. I'm aware many expected a scooter symbol of some sort, but I for one am glad that not every cutiemark has to reflect a pony's name. And Scoots should not be defined by riding a scooter. She should be defined by her weaknesses that could possibly be her greatest strength (the lightning bolt wing)

I love the shields. It shows cutie marks reflect the journey to earn them. It's better to be defined by the bonds you carry with others and the journey you took with them....than to ONLY be defined by what you're good at.

Edited by Princess Sunset
  • Brohoof 1

Well to my knowledge there are no official Hasbro toys with the CMC's cutie marks on and I imagine they wanted to avoid the conflict of having each of them get cutie marks at different times so they just gave them their marks at the same time. And seeing as they all have the same talent why not just give them the same mark but with symbols people already attached to the characters. 

Well to my knowledge there are no official Hasbro toys with the CMC's cutie marks on and I imagine they wanted to avoid the conflict of having each of them get cutie marks at different times so they just gave them their marks at the same time. And seeing as they all have the same talent why not just give them the same mark but with symbols people already attached to the characters. 

That doesn't affect anything inshow.

That doesn't affect anything inshow.

What doesn't? The toy thing? Well if said toys did exist yeah it would affect things and I was just pointing out that the guys who make the show would have created the cutie marks for them and not the toy designers. 

• Brohoof 1

What doesn't? The toy thing? Well if said toys did exist yeah it would affect things and I was just pointing out that the guys who make the show would have created the cutie marks for them and not the toy designers. 

Ohhhhhh, I thought you said because it would be easier to put on toys, :P. Sorry.

• Brohoof 1

Not very original and incredibly forced, but I've ranted enough about this terrible episode. On top of the relation to their sisters, as I've said in my review of this episode, their cutie marks barely have anything to do with what talents were built up all series long. Over 100 hours of stories contradicting this outcome and the last three minutes of this one episode says "nope, fuck you" just to give us bland cutie marks with absolutely no conflict and no prior indication. As you pointed out, Sweetie Belle at least has a note on her shield, however, she didn't have to do any "real-world" singing for it. Even if she did, how do we make the distinction between the musical numbers that don't exist and those that do?

Award nominated best animated series here, folks.  >_> 

And I imagine they wanted to avoid the conflict of having each of them get cutie marks at different times

Don't take any risks with your character dynamics. Writing at its best. 

And seeing as they all have the same talent

But they don't. That's the problem! They never had the same talent! That plotline was completely phoned in for this episode alone. Previous episodes showed that they were going a completely different direction with each character, and showing the conflicts that arise when they each got their cutie marks at different times is a million times more intricate than what "Crusaders of the Lost Mark" gave us.

I'd have to disagree. Scootaloo doesn't just have a talent for riding her scooter..... she seems to be good at many other active-related things which were shown in the episode "Showstoppers" when she was better at choreography which could explain the bolt in that case.

Her being good at choreography is hinted because she rides her scooter. Stunts and tricks are choreographed, or at the very least, have a strategy of how a performance should be executed just like dancing. It's this expertise here that gives her some common sense when coming up with a performance routine. This is further perfected in "Flight to the Finish." 

I love the shields. It shows cutie marks reflect the journey to earn them. It's better to be defined by the bonds you carry with others and the journey you took with them....than to ONLY be defined by what you're good at.

That's fine, that's completely fine. As I've said before, I'd have absolutely no problem with any of this.......if there was any build-up. The cutie marks were phoned in, not just as concepts, but into the episode as well. This arc should've been a completely separate episode from the "Pip wants to be school president, Diamond Tiara's life sucks" story. At least then there would be expansion to this plot-line and a separate episode could reaffirm it. "Magical Mystery Cure" even had this much dignity.

• Brohoof 2

Cutie Mark Crusaders episodes were always a yawn fest and the marks are like the stamp of recognition of mediocrity.

I laughed too hard at this :'D

It's so true, tho! The cutie marks are pretty meh... (As well as the special talent... which is not so special if you share it with three other ponies who happen to live in your town! Think about it.)

Edited by Merion
  • Brohoof 1

personally I don't relate much with the CMC period but maybe it's just because they are geared more to kids,.. moreso than the rest of the series hehe..

I personally just don't care what happens to them, when everyone else is doing awesome stuff..

and is this it? Cutie mark crusaders found their cutie marks? Or will we now be watching them help others get their cutie marks? Because that also seems a bit yawn festy to me.. now noone has to be in charge of determining their destiny for themselves! Fascist cutie mark crusaders will determine who everyone is

NO ONE IS SUPERIOR, NO ONE IS SUPERIOR.. EXCEPT FOR USSS

has the season 4 premiere all over it hahaha..

cue oprah - YOU GET A CUTIE MARK! AND YOU GET A CUTIE MARK! AND YOU GET A CUTIE MARK!

i like the cutie marks, at first i had a twinge of disapointment, but then i realized that they are the CMC, Thats the appropriate cutie marks for them.

I agree. They are a club. Everyone needs a club logo/cutie mark. In this case it is a shield with the actual Cutie Mark infront of it.

I feel like the whole thing of them getting their Cutie Marks was rushed somewhat. I sort of expected them to all get different Cutie Marks are relative to them doing a task they were good at but it all came together in the end. 

I mean what was that whole thing about Sweetie Belle being a good singer, Scootaloo a good dancer and Apple Bloom being a good carpenter? And when they said they wonder what they were going to be good at and Applejack sort of rolled her eyes already knowing what they were good at.