Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media Who's not giving up physical media?

TheMarkz0ne

If you like digital media, that's fine. But I wanted to discuss why it's not for the consumer and how a pure digital media future is slavery on people like us. I don't buy licenses.. I buy a movie and game and have them in my collection, same applies for books. I am not pirating anything and I'm going to say it, I can assure everyone has pirated something once in their life.

Physical media has more pros and arguably no cons. Why? Well first off, if you own old vhs and dvds,you are allowed to back them up digitally anyways. Why should I be expected to buy a new one if it breaks? It be smarter to make a copy yourself. Anyone miss the old VHS and DVD covers? Hell, even blu ray covers I find incredibly lazy these days. I can understand video stores being a relic of the past. But owning a piece of media is something personal. I would rather traditional or digital art hung up on the wall.. Art that I really really adored on the wall. Of course I would keep many on my hard drive at a high resolution. 

This is the problem many people will call me a conspiracy theorist for. But wifi radiation has been getting a bad rep and rightfully so. Wifi is now being studied as something that can stress out your biology. Any EMF is going to have different effects on different people.

On a quick tangent, if I were to stream a movie, I would go wired. I have no loss in connection and I'm not being peltedby the wifi giving me a migrane. 

I started buying more blu rays on sale because not only is digital media something I don't value. But in the future, I will stock on all the media I can afford because it won't be free. I'm telling you, it's not going to be a fair future for any media. 

• Brohoof 4

Digital Media has it's advantages, but I still believe the advantages for Physical still outweigh those of digital. This I'll stick with physical whenever I have the chance

• Brohoof 1

I'm a fan of physical media. The thing about physical media is that you actually own what you buy and you have your basic consumer rights of sharing, backing the data up, etc. You also aren't relying on some corporate entity to store your data for you, your product is literally on your shelf and will continue to work long after that company dies out. Plus if you paid with paper money rather than a credit card, you've essentially bought the product anonymously. Nobody can really trace the purchase back to you other than maybe security camera footage.

And also, my internet speed is kind of crap, so streaming and downloading isn't that much more convienient than just driving down to the store and buying a physical copy of the thing that I want. And at that point, well, the "lazy benefits" of the cloud no longer have more benefits over physical media.

• Brohoof 3

I've only digitally downloaded something once. I copied it to my MP3. Accidentally deleted it. And now I can't ever use it again. Wouldn't be a problem if I had the physical copy. 

I buy physical anyways, just in case. I get things like liner notes, lyric sheets, stickers, coupons, adds from the label, bonus DVDs & discs. 

Even though Physical and Digital media have been crippled in sales thanks to piracy, there will always be a place for physical media.

... in my attic, once I'm done burning my CDs to my computer. 

Well, i always collect only official licensed Vhs Tapes, Cds, Dvds, Blurays, Vinyls and Books.

The only time i buy something on the Internet, was when an Artist only released his songs on the Internet and there wasnt any chance to ever get a cd release.

Other times, i buy me a normal copy on amazon from older games and if they not work on my pc, i download the game on the internet, but only if i bought the game normally before.

I even didnt collect some of the old Dc Comics Serials, because i couldnt find any official Dc Comics release at the time. The only thing i found was Dvd R versions, made by normal people.

And it just doesnt feel right for me. So i just never collected them and simply watched them on Youtube and such, without collecting them. Either i can buy something Official or i dont.

The only exception for this rule is, if something is so damn rare that it costs up to 300 Dollars ( The Secrets of Isis Dvd Set for example ) and in this case, i would buy an Dvd R Version, because the prize in this scenario is just insane ! I dont want to pay 300 Dollars for two Dvds...and the Dvd is out of print anyway, so the Company behind the product, doesnt even get money for the Dvd Set anyway. So i see no problem in that case.

But other than that, i always first search for a physical Copy and for an official version. And only if the prize is so insane and out of print anyway, that the companys dont even get money for it, than i sometimes search for an Dvd R Version. Because i dont have that much money.

I just realized i never really explained, why i prefer physical copys...oops  :please:

Because i like to collect things. Also, i want to have something. Not just something on my Pc. I want to have something what i can show to people. I want my own library of things. Because the Package and such is also always interesting to see.

I buy physical media when I can, I usually only buy games/any other thing digitally when I have to (Dual Destinies for example). I usually just download video game soundtracks (though I'm trying to find some physical CDs) and random music tracks off the internet, but if there is a physical disc of something I like, I'll sure enough buy it.

Downloads all the way. However, if we're talking about published works (music in particular), I'll often go back to older physical media when the master I want is not available to download.

Optical discs are still good for long term backups as they are generally permanent once burnt and don't deteriorate as fast as magnetic media.

• 1 month later...

While I will admit that the majority of my Xbox One games are digital at this point, I still have a decent collection of physical games and whatnot, movies not so much, but I am working on it. Having the actual physical disc with a case has a lot of sentimental value to me, it feels awesome having them in your collection. :3 

• 2 weeks later...

For me, I digitally own my games as they tend to be impulse buys and I like them being tied to my steam account, I usually digitally buy my music too. However, when it comes to movies I only own physical copies, somewhere around 800 DVDs and blu-Ray's.

I enjoy the ability to sel ct through my movie collection, piling up a selection to watch.

My family owns the biggest collection of DVD's and Blu-Ray players in our entire town. Our book collection is only beat by the town library. We love physical media. We watch so many movies and TV shows that we've burned through 3 Blu-Ray players in the past 5 years! Most of our video games are also hard copies.

I don't think I will ever become accustomed to digital media the way a lot of people are.

• Brohoof 1

• 5 years later...

I still buy CD and DVD if it’s a band I like or a movie that I love. Just having something physical to hold and not digital because it doesn’t feel I’m not supporting the artists much by doing so. Plus it just feel more authentic. I remember some Gen Z asked me why would you buy a DVD when you can just download it? :ButtercupLaugh:

• Brohoof 1