Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler MLP:FiM #36 - Siege of the Crystal Empire, pt. 3

Ashen Pathfinder

MLP%2BFiM%2B36%2BCVR%2BReg.jpg

And now we have part three of the Siege of the Crystal Empire arc. Loving these Sombra-specific covers. <3

So, any thoughts? Gotta say the Chrysalis was quite the star here; even if she wasn't fully part of the issue. And those Umbrum...quite the frightening race they are. >_<

• Brohoof 1

Correct me if I am wrong but is this the first time in MLP that Andys art is not with Katys writing. I really like it this way though, I have always been a huge fan of his art but always thought the writing was sub-par, but i am really liking this new team up. I wonder why it happened though?

• Brohoof 1

I love the story so far. 

The connection between Hope and Sombra is very sweet and I was glad to see Sombra finally show reaction in the end. This guy can pretend that he doesn't care about her, but when facing a real situation such as her getting hurt or damaged, you know you have just plucked the wrong strings on him  :unsure:

I'm excited to see what happens next and what will happen to King Sombra and Radiant Hope <3 <3 

Well, just read the last comic.

Really freaking good! Finally, they managed to stop making the others out of character, they had some INCREDIBLY good art, and they really managed to start to wrap things up well!

Loved the design of the umbrum, the explanation for hope not aging was good for clearing up questions, the "reveal" of the umbrum's true form was a really good touch.

Plus, chrysalis was PERFECTLY in character with her "Fuck you all" mindset.
That being said, If I wasn't so Dissillusioned with things I WANT to see happen never happening, I'd actually chalk chrysalis Breaking twilight out like that as a "I secretly want to see you succeed and stop the umbrum" ploy-- I'd almost half expect her to show back up and turn the tide by holding back the umbrum while they figure out A way to close the door

On that note: Goddamnit twilight. JUST GODDAMNIT. You are not content to ruin episodes you now need to destroy the entire world by Lasering at the WORST. GODDAMNED. TIME. XD

On that note: Calling sombra turning out to be Redeemed at the end and turn out to be good given his Wangst about "I'm A MONSTER!" and his freudian excuse.
Though, I'm half fearing They'll directly mirror reflections by having Hope suck the evil out of sombra and turn into a monster that gets imprisoned alongside the umbrum.

(Though, that being said, My current theory for what will happen is that they'll have Sombra and hope together power up the Crystal heart with their love with sombra pulling a heroic sacrifice knowing that it'll kill him, but the love for Hope in his heart allows him to survive with him being turned into a normal pony and only having his umbrum nature burned away)

"We believe in you Twilight!"

[Evil crystals removed]

My sincerest apologies to diabetics everywhere.

sig-4221893.sombra_created_1_by_mylittlesig-4221893.sombra_created_2_by_mylittlesig-4221893.sombra_created_3_by_mylittle

First of all, fillies are young female ponies. Sombra was a colt.

Second, wouldn't it be easier if the umbrum disguised either themselves or each other and pulled a Trojan Horse on the Crystal Empire?

Third, this is exactly how the comics do King Sombra wrong. This is the kind of info on Sombra we were NEVER supposed to be given. We were supposed to know as little about him as possible in order to dread him. But the only reason that failed is because Meghan McCarthy strained that attempt to a point that Sombra basically wasn't even written. And since he had next to no character to begin with, it's hard to care about where he came from, or why he was evil.

Thankfully, these are the comics; it's McCarthy who decides everything about King Sombra, and it might be just me, but I honestly doubt she'd see this resonating with the Sauron reference and Darkness Incarnate she tried to pull off.

Edited by chessmaster

My sincerest apologies to diabetics everywhere.

sig-4221893.sombra_created_1_by_mylittlesig-4221893.sombra_created_2_by_mylittlesig-4221893.sombra_created_3_by_mylittle

Yeah, maybe it was a typo on the writer's part. Yeah, I've never knew horse terminologies including foal, filly and colt until I've watched FiM, but it's weird this kind of mistake got out at this point of poneh  :huh: .

Oh, and the Umbrum..... they are NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE 

NopeNopeNope.gif

I must congratulate the writers for making they terrifying, and not  cutesy catoonish villains  :squee:

• Brohoof 1

Ha! I so called the Umbrum being evil hell spawn this whole time! Granted that wasn't a hard thing to guess, but still...

Though that page with Cadance and Hope, is that supposed to imply that Cadance can go from kind to angry in the blink of an eye, since apparently Twilight suppressing her anger gives her headaches from using Sombra's spell but Cadance is fine? Also, I knew Hope would take a blow for Sombra at some point, but Nice Job Breaking It, Twilight.

Ha! I so called the Umbrum being evil hell spawn this whole time! Granted that wasn't a hard thing to guess, but still...

Though that page with Cadance and Hope, is that supposed to imply that Cadance can go from kind to angry in the blink of an eye, since apparently Twilight suppressing her anger gives her headaches from using Sombra's spell but Cadance is fine? Also, I knew Hope would take a blow for Sombra at some point, but Nice Job Breaking It, Twilight.

I've honestly been unsure as to what that was hinting at, but I have read speculation that it something that links Cadence to Princess Amore in some fashion and that her connection with Love and the Crystal Heart might prevent her from getting headaches.

I dunno; either part four will explain it in more detail or I'm just missing something obvious.

Yeah, maybe it was a typo on the writer's part. Yeah, I've never knew horse terminologies including foal, filly and colt until I've watched FiM, but it's weird this kind of mistake got out at this point of poneh  :huh: .

Oh, and the Umbrum..... they are NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE 

sig-4222670.NopeNopeNope.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clgfRkyGqrc

I must congratulate the writers for making they terrifying, and not  cutesy catoonish villains  :squee:

Yeah, they did a great job with the umbrum's visual design. Incredible.

• 3 weeks later...

*Is sick of all the anti-Hope comments (largely from the same few people on EQD) that disregard her finally seeing the error of her ways, trying to prevent Sombra from releasing the Umbrum, and getting critically injured.*

Honestly I see the same thing on Derpibooru, and I just don't understand the reasoning. I mean yeah, on the surface she didn't make good decisions and her actions during the battle weren't the best, but consider the following:

1. She was feeling obvious guilt and regret over losing her ONLY friend

2. She spent probably close to a millenia with the mbrum; thereby allowing them time to poison her mind and use her regret to their advantage

3. As a result of the above she is convinced of the 'plight' of the umbrum and believe she is doing what is right

Is she being naive? Possibly, but FAR from stupid.

• Brohoof 1

Honestly I see the same thing on Derpibooru, and I just don't understand the reasoning. I mean yeah, on the surface she didn't make good decisions and her actions during the battle weren't the best, but consider the following:

1. She was feeling obvious guilt and regret over losing her ONLY friend

2. She spent probably close to a millenia with the mbrum; thereby allowing them time to poison her mind and use her regret to their advantage

3. As a result of the above she is convinced of the 'plight' of the umbrum and believe she is doing what is right

Is she being naive? Possibly, but FAR from stupid.

That, and the haters keep saying she sold Equestria out to Chrysalis and just said, "Oh well...", when the Changelings left.

That just proves how much they actually read these things, because Hope really said, "Oh well, we would have had to fight her eventually anyway," most likely meaning she believed the Umbrum would stop the Changelings.

• Brohoof 1