Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Jonny Music

In my Entrepreneurship class today, we talked a bit about investing in the stock market for being financially stable in the future.

Now talking from your experiences, do you guys think investing in stocks is a good thing to do?

If yes, please explain in detail how they are a good thing and tips and tricks we can learn from.

If no, please explain why you think investing in the stock market is not a good idea.

I would like to hear more from you guys about this, because since I already consider myself as an entrepreneur, I am tempted into investing in some potential stocks that are affordable (less than $10 per share).

Post away. :)

Edited by Jonny Music
  • Brohoof 1

It really depends what you invest in. Some stocks stay relatively steady, others have a slow general positive trend and others spike up and down violently, resulting in some massive gains, but potentially some massive losses. The low-medium risk stocks are typically a fairly decent idea to invest in, especially in the long term.

I just stick with mutual funds though because Id have no idea what to invest in if I were left on my own to figure the market out.

• Brohoof 1

Research every company you plan to invest in thoroughly. Everything about them. Not just the history of their stock price and dividend payouts but what they do, and what they want to do, and where that industry is going.

That said, your best bet is generally blue chip stocks, but they're going to be a lot more than $10 a share.

Keep a close eye on the commissions charged by your broker as well. They can make or break you.

• Brohoof 1

Yes, but with a few conditions.

Keep in mind that this would not be some short term thing. Don't think that you'll be making a lot of money in the first little bit. It could be 10+ years before this is a significant thing.

Talk to someone with experience, and get their opinions. My dad has helped me, and I'd be lost without his experience.

At least at first, invest in mutual funds rather than stocks. Here's a brief summary of mutual funds: http://www.investopedia.com/university/mutualfunds/mutualfunds.asp

Mutual funds are (generally) more stable in value than stocks, so I would recommend them to build up a base, and invest in stocks and other things once you have more than $10,000 invested.

This is all based on my experience, so I may not be the best one to listen to, but I hope it helps!

• Brohoof 1

Depends,

If you are willing to put a lot of time, money and effort yes.

I have delved a lot into the stock market, it was fun and I made a bit of money but I invested a lot of time. So if you have the money, or the resources yes.

I personally used TD Ameritrade, mainly because I attended a seminar by them. Here is the link to their "paper money" website which uses fake money with real stock results so you can practice.

https://www.thinkorswim.com/t/trading.html?webpage=paperMoney

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions feel free pm me, I am on the forums fairly often.

• Brohoof 1

I have been looking into it myself, my opinion is unless you have like 10000 dollars or more I wouldn't mess with stocks because all the trading and account matinence fees will eat up your investment, if I was going to invest in stocks I would invest in an automated account like betterment or wealthfront that automatically diversifies your portfolio .

• Brohoof 1

I have been looking into it myself, my opinion is unless you have like 10000 dollars or more I wouldn't mess with stocks because all the trading and account matinence fees will eat up your investment, if I was going to invest in stocks I would invest in an automated account like betterment or wealthfront that automatically diversifies your portfolio .

I live in Canada, so the automated account services may either be the same or different compared to the states (USA).

It really depends what you invest in. Some stocks stay relatively steady, others have a slow general positive trend and others spike up and down violently, resulting in some massive gains, but potentially some massive losses. The low-medium risk stocks are typically a fairly decent idea to invest in, especially in the long term.

I just stick with mutual funds though because Id have no idea what to invest in if I were left on my own to figure the market out.

Yes, but with a few conditions.

Keep in mind that this would not be some short term thing. Don't think that you'll be making a lot of money in the first little bit. It could be 10+ years before this is a significant thing.

Talk to someone with experience, and get their opinions. My dad has helped me, and I'd be lost without his experience.

At least at first, invest in mutual funds rather than stocks. Here's a brief summary of mutual funds: http://www.investopedia.com/university/mutualfunds/mutualfunds.asp

Mutual funds are (generally) more stable in value than stocks, so I would recommend them to build up a base, and invest in stocks and other things once you have more than $10,000 invested.

This is all based on my experience, so I may not be the best one to listen to, but I hope it helps!

I've just personally discovered that Mutual Funds (for short to long-term) and a High-Interest Savings account(s) (long-term) would be better options for me. :)

Thanks for helping me think about it. :D

Edited by Jonny Music
  • Brohoof 2

I have never invested in stocks before simply because i'm not old enuf and I don't know that much about stocks, but yes i think it is a good idea to invest. I can't go into detail but I do know that if you do you need to be very careful and be willing to possibly losing money in the future.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 years later...

Everything is worth it if you know what you are doing.

If you want to, just get in for the gold, it is easier to just get gold from one of those email spam deals

• Brohoof 1