Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Want to go to a rave, but have no idea where to start?

SolidTwilight

So I have never been into dancing or EDM (electronic dance music). I have always to embarrassed to dance but when I was at bronycon I went to the big rave they have and after spend the hole weekend ignoring the voice in my head that told me not to do stuff because it would be embarrassing and the super accepting vibe, I sad, F it and went and dance my brains out all night and had a blast! I would like to go to more raves but I have no idea where to look for them. I don't know anyone that is into it and google did not come up with any obvious answers. I live on Long Island NY, USA (about 40 miles out side of New York City) I would like to avoid going to New York City if I can because it is kind of a pain in the a** to get to and from.

also what are non pony raves like? I don't drink or do drugs so I am afraid that I will not have a good time hanging out with people that at high out of there minds.

Edited by SolidTwilight

I don't know, it depends the area you live for me to figure out if there are any near you.

I live on Long Island NY, USA (about 40 miles out side of New York City) I would like to avoid going to New York City if I can because it is kind of a pain in the a** to get to and from.

I don't know if you could say most people who go there are high out of their minds.

That is why I am asking, because I have no idea what it is like. Edited by SolidTwilight

The sad fact of the matter is traditional raves tend to have club drugs (X, Molly, dmt..ect) heavily associated and easily accessible at them. Of course that doesn't mean you shouldn't/can't go to them, but most raves are typically 5+ hours, so If you do go I'd recommend a combination of some type of  non-drug energy that is easily accessible to the blood stream (energy drinks, coffee...ect). Also, friendship is not typical magic there. Music is magic, music is life.

As to how you'd find out, go to clubs, typically they will have dance nights, if they don't you can ask around. Also, there are good forums out there associated with raves, google is your friend, and you can typically find information about raves happening in your area. A good amount of raves typically happen in warehouses and industrial areas.

Hope I helped answer some questions for you, NY is a big place and it won't be hard for you to find something. Have fun, be safe, and stay hydrated. :)

Also, I'd recommend going with a couple friends, until you get the feel of it, raves are very social events.

(P.S.- you will be tired afterwards, so keep that in mind when planning.)

Edited by Sunset Discord

most raves are typically 5+ hours, so If you do go I'd recommend a combination of some type of non-drug energy that is easily accessible to the blood stream (energy drinks, coffee...ect).

No problem with that. I am in endurance athlete (I have done an IronMan triathlon) so this is one of the things that made me want to go. no need for caffeine or other drugs, slow release carbohydrates are your friend. energy gels work great (I like the hammer nutrition ones)

(P.S.- you will be tired afterwards, so keep that in mind when planning.)

Good, that is how you know it was worth doing :-) Edited by SolidTwilight

• 4 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I mean I go to concerts at Pony Conventions and it's pretty much like a rave.

They're pretty fun and enjoyable, if you're down for that sort of thing.

I’ve never been to a rave and would never want to. It doesn’t sound fun at all to me. It seems like some of these nightclubs where walls of humanity, squashed into a very small space, undulate and try to convince themselves they’re having fun. No, thanks. I can pretend I’m having fun in better places and situations that don’t cost anything.

Moments ago, Dreambiscuit said:

I’ve never been to a rave and would never want to. It doesn’t sound fun at all to me. It seems like some of these nightclubs where walls of humanity, squashed into a very small space, undulate and try to convince themselves they’re having fun. No, thanks. I can pretend I’m having fun in better places and situations that don’t cost anything.

I agree, Dreamy. :rarity: