Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private A Cultural Exchange 1x1 with Randimaxis

Illiad Easle

@@Randimaxis

Illiad came out of the shed with an ever so slightly annoyed expression, though it didn't seem to be directed at Dax. He approached and sighed, "Well, that settles that."

He took a deep breath and ruffled Dax's mane, "Hopefully Midget will get my message and be waiting for us when we arrive in Troy."

He smiled, "You don't need to worry so much Dax, Manifest was just curious. I wouldn't have brought you this far if I didn't think you were good to go."

With his magic, Illiad started lifting some boxes of his own to move over to the pile with Dax. He paused and sighed again, "Hey, if something's bothering you, I'd appreciate being told so I can help ease your worries. I'm not out to trick you or try to get you sent home. So I'll ask, what's up? What's got you bothered?"

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

Dax began to start pushing one of the crates along, but he spoke to Illiad as he worked.

"I'm just... y'know, REALLY afraid that I'll make a mistake or something else that might... well... that might embarrass YOU, Illiad.  I mean, I've never... NEVER had a friend who offered to do anything like this for me, and I wanna make sure that you know that I'm very appreciative, but I also wanna try to do everything I can to keep from causing a problem, or..."

He sighed, and stopped pushing for a moment to look back at the unicorn.

"I don't want to be a disappointment, that's all - I wanna help, I wanna be there for you... I wanna feel like I'm actually doing YOU some good, Illiad; you've done so much for me..."

He gave a slight grin, then turned back to start pushing the crate again.

• Brohoof 1

@@Randimaxis

Illiad gave a slight smile in return. "You really are worried about that aren't you? I guess me just telling you not to isn't going to ease those worries now is it? I guess you'll have to believe in yourself before you won't be worried, but if it helps any, I wouldn't have brought you this far if I thought you would be an embarrassment or a disappointment. I have every faith in you that you'll do fine, that you'll make me proud. I just hope I'll be able to show you a good enough time in Troy to match the wonderful time I had at the quarry."

He continued moving boxes, with his magic he was able to speed the work along pretty well.

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

Dax went back to pushing the crate along.  "I'm pretty sure that won't be so hard to do... but okay."

Easy for YOU to say, Illiad - you've got a HUGE number of friends behind you, not to mention Selena, and even Luna herself.  You've got all the support you'll ever need... how can I explain it to you, when you've never had to worry about disappointing the ONE PONY who's ever really put any faith into you?

Dax shoved the last inch of the crate into place, then turned and saw the progress Illiad was making.

How do I explain feeling powerless to a pony with THAT much power?

Nevertheless, Dax tried to help as much as he could.  Simply pushing crates, he couldn't even start to keep up with a unicorn's telekinesis... but for what it was worth, the three crates he DID move were... well, moved.

Trying to focus his mind elsewhere, he started trying to think about the night sky over Troy, and where each star would be during this time of season.  Thinking about the stars always seemed to calm him in the past, and the order and logic of them did so now... he was still a bit down and a bit nervous, but now it was ebbing.

He hoped he'd be able to do even a tenth of what Illiad had done for him and his family; he was simply afraid he was just too small of a stone to make even the slightest ripple in Illiad's ocean, no matter HOW hard he was thrown.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

@@Randimaxis

It didn't take long for them to move the rest of the boxes out of the train and it departed soon after, leaving the two of them waiting with a pile of boxes on the platform.

Already the sun was starting to set, while it wouldn't hit the horizon before they would arrive in Troy, it would be close.

Mr. Manifest returned from the small building, "Alright, your shipment cleared with the Trojan station. You two are good to go. I hope you have a great time in Troy Mr. Blackwater."

With that he nodded and turned his attention towards some of the other ponies moving towards the platform I anticipation of the next train, a few of them dressed in similar garb to what Illiad had written when he arrived.

Edited by Illiad Easle
  • Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

"MISTER Blackwater..?"

Dax took on a strange, amused look.

Heh... the only one who's ever been MISTER Blackwater has been Father... but, I guess it would be me now, wouldn't it?  I don't think I've ever actually considered that ANYPONY would ever call me that!

Is it weird that I kinda like it?

Dax made his way to the same platform as Illiad, and turned to look at him.

"Hey... you looked kinda upset when you came back from the depot earlier - what happened?"

• Brohoof 1

@@Randimaxis,

Illiad looked over at Dax, "Oh? It's just a big hassle to send a telegram at this hour and ensure it gets through. They'd have to go wake up Midget, after all, to ensure it's delivered given it's the middle of the day, and that we'll be arriving in the early hours of the night. But I got that all taken care of so we wouldn't have to deal with all these boxes by ourselves when we arrive."

He sighed, "Yeah, that was fun."

With that the sound of a train horn could be heard on the platform, in the distance, a plume of steam could be seen as the thunderous sound of the engine grew louder. It was certainly much louder than any Equestrian train. As it grew closer a screech could be heard, presumably the train's breaks as it slowed in preparation for the station.

As it grew closer Dax could start to make out some of the details of it, the engine had a large black tank on the front, capped with bronze to go with a number of bronze pipes running the length of the engine back to the cab, which was painted black. The passenger cars as they came into view were primarily black with bronze detailing and the words Trojan Express painted on the side.

It wasn't long before the train came to a halt in the station, releasing one last puff of steam as the engine stopped.

Illiad turned to Dax with a smile as a pair of ponies, these with white uniforms as opposed to the blue uniforms of the ponies from the last train, began to load their pile of boxes onto the train. "Well, it seems our train has arrived."

@Illiad Easle

"Wooooooooooow..."

Dax couldn't help but marvel over the train.

It doesn't look ANYTHING like the other train!  It's not... well... girly, for one thing!  And all those pipes!  Oh, Silver would go NUTS over that thing!

He looked back at Illiad.  "It's so different!  It looks so serious as opposed to the Friendship Express... almost sinister."

"Almost."

He grinned as he made his way towards the passenger cars.  "C'mon - I can't wait to see if the inside's any different!"

• Brohoof 1

@@Randimaxis,

Illiad smiled, grabbing the bags that were their personal belongings from the pile of shipping boxes to take with them on the train. "Don't go too fast now Dax."

At the entrance to the passenger cars, they were stopped by another black uniformed pony. Illiad retrieved the pair of boarding documents from his robes and presented them to the pony. After a quick glance, they were stamped and the pony stood aside to allow them to board. "Mr. Easle, Mr. Blackwater, a pleasure to have you aboard."

The inside of the train car was about as different from an Equestrian train as the exterior, the seats were a bit wider, but they all faced the same direction as well as there being a smaller amount of space between the rows. There were two chairs per row to each side of the aisle, and each row had a window. The car was well lit, making the car seem a bit roomier than it actually was. Above the seats were shelves, on which Illiad lifted their personal bags before taking a seat in the row under them. He gestured to the seat next to him as he placed the boarding documents back in his robe. "So, do you think the inside is as cool as the outside?"

The seats on this train though, were decidedly less comfortable than the Equestrian ones, despite being a bit bigger.

@Illiad Easle

MIS-ter Blackwater!  I don't know that I'll EVER get tired of hearing that!

Dax practically pranced up the steps... then stood there for a moment as he looked at the interior, marveling at it's sheer difference.

"A-HEM?"  said a stallion stuck behind Dax; the Blackwater jumped.

"OH!  So sorry!"  He moved aside.  The other stallion gave him a hard look.  

"Say, weren't you the one who fell on me in the other train?"

Dax's blush turned up, and he quickly made his way to seat and sat down.  The stallion made an annoyed sound, then spoke sidelong at the mare behind him.  "Some ponies are just born klutzes, right?"

The rest of the passengers started filing in, taking their seats.

• Brohoof 1

@@Randimaxis

Illiad sighed, but didn't seem disappointed in the slightest, as he gave Dax a slight tug with his magic in the right direction. "You're really going to want to be seated before the train starts moving this time. It's a bit less forgiving than the last train."

Sure enough, it seemed the pony that had checked their boarding documents was already prepping for the train to get going.

@Illiad Easle

Dax sat down, looking guilty.

Maybe that pony's right - maybe I AM a... a... a klutz.  An annoyance...

But, I CAN'T keep thinking like this!  What if Illiad were to figure out how I REALLY feel insi-

Wait...

OH SWEET LUNA, OF COURSE HE KNOWS!

He facehoofed himself, gave a sigh, then looked over at the unicorn.

"I... am... so... sorry, Illiad."

He sat back in his seat, and spoke low, his voice husky with meaning.

"I know a number of the workers in the quarry, that's true... and they're friends, of a sort... but YOU are the only friend I've ever made by my own choices.  My own effort.  You have no connection to the quarry, my parents OR emeralds... and you're here in a way to teach me... but not because it's your JOB."

"Illiad... you're the ONLY friend - REAL friend - I've ever made.  And I am constantly, deathly afraid that if even one thing goes wrong, exactly the WRONG thing to go wrong... then I'll possibly lose the only friend I've ever made on my own.  And I don't WANT to do that."

"Does that make me seem kinda... well, needy?  Maybe.  But that's because I've seen other colts, other stallions and... and mares... all hanging out together, having fun, talking about stuff.  And there's some part of me that DOES need that; you've done all of that and so much more for me - WITH me - that I just... I just..."

His eyes swiveled to meet his friend's.

"I know it's silly... but I'm just nervous about the trip - but not because of where it'll take me."

Those big, bright emeralds shone with a spirit that was shaken, but aware.

"What makes me nervous is what path I choose once I'm there.  I mean, I'll just be me, I guess... but I just hope it's enough."

He gave Illiad one of his sheepish smiles, the metaphorical thundercloud following him starting to break up.

... whew, THAT felt better...

• Brohoof 1

@@Randimaxis

Illiad looked surprised at Dax's sudden outpouring of his inner fears. Then his expression softened to a caring smile, the surprise quickly returned as the train lurched into motion, the platform quickly disappearing from view, then the whole town of Dodge fell away as the train turned south into the barren wasteland that was the San Palomino desert.

He regained his composure and smiled again, "I was wondering when you were actually going to tell me what was bothering you, and I'm glad you did. I don't think I'll ever really understand what it's like to be in your position, though when I crossed this desert the first time, I was about your age actually, my only friends had betrayed me, attacked me for being different, and I vowed as I watched the desert pass that my friend group would be as barren as the view out that window."

Truth be told, it was pretty barren outside, hardly even any tumble weeds at this point, "Swift changed my mind about that, and even though we had a rough patch after my trip to Canterlot during the while wedding fiasco, I decided I wouldn't abandon friendship after it had been brought back into my life. My point is Dax, I make friendships to last. I will never give up on my friends, I wont let you go unless you tell me to, and even then I'll give you every opportunity to come back."

He sighed as he shifted a bit in his chair in a vain attempt to find a more comfortable position.

"As to this trip, well, Troy was founded on the crossroads of trade. From Troy you can go anywhere in the world, be practically anything, a world of possibilities before you if you want them, and I would be happy, honoured even, to offer you advice on where you want to go, on whatever path you'll choose to take. No matter what path you take though, you'll still be you, and that means you'll still be my friend."

He looked out the window for a moment, the wasteland now turning sandy in more than a few places, before turning back to Dax again, "I hope that eases at least some of your worries."

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

Dax's smile grew a little.

"So... basically, this is sorta like that trip, but now it's someone else as you - and you get to be the guide this time?  That's... actually rather poetically ironic.  But also, it kinda... helps."

He watched Illiad squirm in the seat a bit, looked at his own questioningly, then put a hoof over his mouth as he giggled.

"I just realized what you're doing - sorry, but years of sitting in that carriage kinda got me used to hard seating, if you know what I mean."

Maybe this will be good for me.

"Y'know, Illiad... maybe this'll be good for me."

His grin and mood were both genuine as he sat the-

"Whoa - look at all the SAND!"

... aaaand the moment was over, lost in a cloud of enthusiasm as Dax began to gaze out of the train window at... sand.

Yes, sand.

Oh, LOOK at it!  Luna save me, there's just so MUCH of it!  

It looks like it goes on forever, winding hills and dunes leading onward into the far horizon of a distant world... moving inexorably from hill to hill, the warm winds searing past the exposed cheek as the temperature climbs.  GOODNESS, I can only imagine what it must feel like... I'll bet it's NOTHING like the sand back at my campsite by the river!  Will it be a finer grain, or a coarser one?  If it's fine enough, think of the LENS I could make with that!  

Wow, just LOOK at all that sand!  That's incredible!  

It's like an ocean, but made out of dirt - soft, yellow dirt!  It's got so much of a different tone and color then the river sand; I wonder how much of that has to do with geographical location?  I'll have to make sure to get some in a bottle or a jar or something to take back with me - but there's just so MUCH of it!  And all in one place!

"Cool," Dax said.

• Brohoof 1

@@Randimaxis

Illiad smiled at Dax's newfound enthusiasm, Even if it was at something he had grown to despise over the years. "Ugh, indeed, sand."

He rolled his eyes, "Believe me, it gets old really quickly, I wouldn't be surprised if you're sick of it before the end of the week."

Nonetheless, he turned to watch the dunes pass as well, they meant they were about to enter the Trojan train loop that connected the major cities of Troy.

He pointed out the window, the train starting to turn a bit more sharply to the east. "If you look closely you may just see the walls of Deltrot, we'll be headed there later tonight after our day in the city of Troy."

Sure enough out between the occasional passing sand dune they could catch a glimpse of some large artificial structure out in the desert. It was pretty fast away though, already dining back into the distance as a testament to how fast they were actually going, the Lal if scenery in the wasteland had hidden their acceleration.

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

"Wow... from here, they're tiny... but I'll bet up close, they make the quarry walls look small!"

Dax took in every eyeful, his mind working a million miles a minute.

"Illiad... this train's REEEEEEEALLY fast; Father would love to ride on this, I'll bet!  At this rate, we'll be there in no time flat.  This is so neat... and yeah, I'm sure I'll be sick of sand by the time I go home."

I could have some done up as sandpaper, and try to get some of the finer edges of my 'scope sanded down for a proper fit... or, if it really IS coarse, I can easily melt it down in the lens mould, get it just the right temperature and clarity for glass, then carefully balance the edges...

"It's just sand, right?"

Dax felt like they'd be there in minutes, as fast as this fascinating train was going... but he was hoping the view wouldn't be done TOO soon, so he simply kept his eyes on the window.

• Brohoof 1

@@Randimaxis

The distant city of Deltrot faded from view as Illiad thought on a response. "As far as I know it's pretty much just sand, Carbon knows a bit more about it then me given his time working out in mines, I guess I never cared about sand enough to really wonder what was in it, just that I didn't want it in my coat."

He turned away from the window and back towards Dax as the train shifted from an eastern turn to a western turn. "The Trojan Express is a very fast train, but that isn't too hard when the terrain is pretty much flat the whole way through. Plus it helps with the distance between cities if the train can move it quickly, then the stone crabs can't catch it and the silt scorpions would simply be obliterated if they got in the way. But we won't need to worry about then during our trip, they never get close enough to the cities to cause trouble while we're there."

He sighed again as he leaned back in his seat, "Well, we're almost there. Got any last minute questions before we arrive?"

@Illiad Easle

He grew thoughtful, his eyes pointed to the ceiling as he considered for a moment.

"Well... knowing your friends as well as you do, I was wondering... well, with what you've seen of them, do I have any qualities you think they might like?  I mean, specifically?"

He gave a shy smile.

"I know that kinda sounds a little arrogant, but no - I just want some reassurance that we'll have a chance to... y'know... mesh."

• Brohoof 1

@@Randimaxis

Illiad looked over at Dax and seemed to ponder for a bit. "I hardly think it's arrogant to ask, actually I think it's a great way to prepare yourself."

He paused, seemingly looking the colt over, "Well, I'm sure they'll all like how inquisitive you are, provided you realize when you've entered in to uncomfortable territory. Carbon will likely enjoy your knowledge of gems, Glen's a real explorer and would probobly love to talk to you about camping in the wilderness, and Swift loves whenever someone will listen to his stories. You won't be here long enough to really hit it off with Midget, he is a pretty shy one outside of the council chambers. And I don't think you're quite gruff enough for Steel to really respect you, but neither am I really. But who knows really with any of them, you may just surprise us all."

They could feel as the train started to slow down, they really must be getting close now.

@Illiad Easle

Dax leaned over and tried to look ahead as the station was getting closer.

It was a bit of a trip, but nowhere near as dull as Mother's trips to Canterlot... I wonder what it'll be like?

He seemed quite excited, and full of energy waiting to be used in another nation.

"Well, I guess this is where we find out what Troy has in store for me, hunh?"

PLEASE let it be good!

• Brohoof 1

@@Randimaxis,

The screech of the breaks was heard again as the train began to slow into the station. Out the opposite window from where they had caught a glimpse of Deltrot they could see a small part of the walls of Troy, though the far window was a bit too small to see very much.

Once the train stopped Illiad stood up to retrieve their bags from the shelves above, passing to Dax his bags while putting his own on his back. "Come on, you'll want to see it from outside of the train."

He led Dax out of the train, taking care to not bump into the others that were disembarking. The platform near the train wasn't walled, surrounded on three sides by sand, with a sandstone path leading away from the platform and towards the walled city.

And what walls they were. Even from the platform, the walls towered over everything, the setting sun behind the city showing it's curved silhouette almost like the center of an hourglass where the bottom and top of the walls were thicker than the middle, furthermore the walls seemed to be just one big circle stretching around the city. Swirls of sand could be seen blowing up and away from the sides of the walls, clearly fulfilling their purpose of keeping the sand out of the city. A tall shadow stuck up from the walls, standing like a spire into the setting sun, and casting a pointed shadow towards the platform. "Well Dax, welcome to Troy."

The platform was a bustle of activity, but those gathered seemed to be giving the pair a bit of room, some looking at Illiad with varying degrees of recognition. One garbed in a robe similar to Illiad's original, only with a green sash tied about his barrel, a silver emblem at the side with an image of crossed feathers tucked just out of the way of his wings, came closer with a smile on his face. The pegasus had a mostly dark grey coat, but with a set of light grey splotches along his neck and muzzle, his wings were mostly the same dark gray, but with a few of the feathers on each side being a distinct light gray instead. His mane and tail were a dark brown, longer than usual for a colt, but well cared for. His green eyes seemed tired as he came closer.

"Illiad! I got your message and came as soon as I could, we certainly have much to talk...  about..." Their words faltered off as their attention turned to Dax. Their whole countenance shifting to very shy, complete with a down turned nose and idle digging at the ground. " I forgot you were bringing a guest this week."

Illiad just smiled as he closed the gap a bit more, "It's good to see you too Midget, and yes we do have a bit to take care of." He gestured over towards Dax, "This is Dax, like I told you about before I left, because of him we now have a new financial backer in a soon-to-be independent protectorate, as well as that large set of gifts from them that we'll need to distribute."

Midget didn't look any less shy as he looked up at Dax. "It's, uh, nice to meet you, Dax."

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

Dax blinked.

Wow... so this is Illiad's friend, the one who trusts him enough to help him keep Troy safe and well-tended to?  Funny - from the way things sounded, I thought he'd be from Shetland!  He's really shy - I know THAT look - so I'll have to try to be careful in my first impression... they supposedly mean everything...

"Uhm... hiya.  Illiad told me you were really nice, so I wouldn't be so nervous... but seeing YOU nervous... well, it kinda lets me know I'm not the only one who wants this to go well."  

He gave one of his patented sheepish grins, then gave a slight bow.

"It's nice to meet you, Mr. Hooves... I, uhm, hope that I can prove to be a shining example for my family name."

Mother would be SO proud of me right now...

Turning to Illiad.  "I guess the presents will have to wait until things get squared away, hunh?"

He looked again at the pegasus.

Y'know, I should give them time to speak.

"Uhm... I'll go check on the baggage; I'll just be over there."

This'll give both of them a moment to catch up... not to mention maybe help Illiad's friend to feel less nervous - I know when new visitors focus on ME too much, I crumple; this'll give him room to breathe for a moment.

Dax smiled at Illiad, then headed towards where he saw the porters going.

Worst case scenario?  Well, I suppose he could make Illiad send me home... but I don't think he would.  He seems nice.

Dax chuckled softly.  Kinda reminds me of... well, me.

• Brohoof 1

@@Randimaxis,

Midget looked back down as Dax responded to him, "It's, um, the proper term is Councilor Hooves. If you don't mind that is, not Mr."

Once Dax had moved further away, Midget seemed a bit more animated in talking to Illiad, though through the sounds of the platform he could not hear what they were saying.

Over at the baggage area, there was a pair of griffons and a minotaur unloading the boxes from the train into a cart attached to a pair of earth ponies. They were all garbed in a similar style of robe to Illiad's, though adjusted to their respective body types. The minotaur was writing on a clipboard as the griffons moved and inspected the boxes, all the ones that had been from the Blackwater Quarry were placed in one section of the cart, while all the others were either placed in the other section, or on the edge of the platform for passengers to collect at their leisure.

Either the workers did not notice Dax or they were simply ignoring him, he got the impression that they had a system in place and that trying to help move the boxes might not be appreciated.

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

He saw the workers were doing their job efficiently, and figured he'd only get in the way, so instead, he chose to look over his surroundings.

So much he'd never seen before, he sort of caught himself gawking.  He tried to keep in mind that he already looked out of place, and that anyone else wouldn't want to see him with his mouth hanging open.  Snapping it shut, he glanced back over towards Illiad and Midget.

Okay, Dax - calm down.  I mean, you JUST got here - why are you already thinking this might have been a mistake?  You haven't even given anything a chance to happen yet!  Besides, what did you expect?  This trip is supposed to be a secret anyway, right?

He sighed, then sat on a nearby bench and kept looking around and trying not to stare.

I think those butterflies in my belly are turning into bullfrogs.

• Brohoof 1

@@Randimaxis,

Illiad and Midget seemed done with whatever they were talking about and came over towards Dax, Midget still seemed shy until he approached the minotaur. Dax saw Midget, or rather Counselor Hooves, visibly straighten and seem to gain a more powerful and commanding aura. "Excuse me."

The minotaur looked over at Midget, first in annoyance and then in surprise as he recognized who had addressed him. "Councilor Hooves! I wasn't expecting you to address this shipment personally, um." He passed over the clipboard , "Everything looks to be in order Sir, the shipment will be delivered to your campaign headquarters as promised, and the other items will be delivered and held at Deltrot as was directed, if it still pleases you sir."

To see the minotaur go from visually imposing to as nervous as Dax had been, spoke volumes about the kind of respect others had for this counselor.

Midget looked over the clipboard, passed it to Illiad who gave it his nod of approval, then returned it to the Minotaur with a nod. " Everything seems to be in order then, as you were."

The minotaur seemed all too grateful to turn back to directing the movement of boxes. Midget turned back towards Dax and gave a shy wave before turning towards Illiad, " Shall we be off then? Just this one meeting and I won't be bothering you with political matters for the rest of the week. I know how important this exchange will be for our bid so I'll do what I can to ensure you don't run into any trouble."

Illiad sighed and looked over at Dax, "Alright then, I was thinking a tour of the government buildings would be an interesting place to start anyway. Would you be interested in that sort of thing Dax?"

• Brohoof 1