Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private A Cultural Exchange 1x1 with Randimaxis

Illiad Easle

@Illiad Easle

Dax gave a smile towards Midget in exchange for his wave.

Oh yeah... I completely blitzed on the fact that he's important around here.  Well, I guess that means there won't be any talking to him; he's got so much else to do - and I'm not even one of his constituents. 

"Uhm, sure.  I've never seen anything here before, so wherever you want to start, we can start."

He stood up, looking ready to go... but the hesitation, nervousness and small-feeling thoughts he was having were still swimming around in his head.

"I guess... you're leading the way, hunh?"  He smiled at Illiad.

• Brohoof 1

@@Randimaxis,

Illiad smiled back, "Alright then, our first stop is Immigration and Customs!" He seemed disproportionately excited for what seemed like it would be a less than enjoyable experience.

Illiad, as Dax had guessed, led the way off the platform with Dax in tow, Midget surprisingly followed behind them. But what drew Dax's attention was what they were approaching. The closer they got to the walls the taller they seemed to be, quickly overtaking the setting sun. In all, they seemed to be about sixty meters straight up, the outside at least seemed to be made entirely of massive blocks of sandstone, faint lines remaining in the wall where the blocks were assembled despite what must have been centuries of weathering.

The sandstone path they traveled directed them towards a pair of doors no less impressive than the walls themselves, they stood a good three meters high on their own, and were an intricate work of wrought iron a full meter thick. Providing an impressive visage when open and an admiral defense when closed. Presently they were open, a pair of guards stood within the open doors wrapped in a more covering form of robe, along with armored plates on their legs and neck. They wore visors to keep out the sand and each had a halberd in their grasp. A line of various creatures had formed without the walls of the city, individuals on the right, and carts on the left.

Looking through the doors they could see just how thick the wall was, it seemed about twice as thick as the doors were tall, and another set of doors stood open on the other side, though the crowd was too dense for Dax to see into the city just yet.

Their group arrived at the end of the line and waited their turn, it seemed to be moving at a decent pace so there wasn't too much of a worry of them waiting without the walls for very long.

Looking at the walls while this close revealed that there seemed to be a wind enchantment blowing upwards from the base of the wall, which also seemed to blow sand off of those waiting to enter the city.

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

Dax stood in line with everyone else, and simply stared at the humongous walls surrounding the city; he tried to get a glimpse inside, but found it futile with the pressing crowd, so his attention returned to the stalwart walls.

Wow... those are WAY bigger than the walls at the quarry.  WAY bigger.  

Dax watched the wind sluicing up the sides, and could feel the slight tug of it on his jacket.

I was a minnow in a pond back home... now?  I feel like I'm in the ocean.

He looked back at Councilor Hoo-

No.  He's spooked, he's nervous, and he's already got enough to worry over; no need for me to make it worse.

He turned to Illiad.  "Uhm... tell me about the wall, Illiad - it's enormous!"

• Brohoof 1

@@Randimaxis,

Illiad looked over at Dax with an amused expression, "Oh you like the wall, do you? Well, it was built not long after the city was first founded by Trojan Horse and his wife Mare Grace, though it wasn't nearly as impressive as it is now. It started out at just a few meters high and only had a few meters of space past the oasis, but it was enough to keep the trade merchants safe as they exchanged goods. As the city grew they needed a bigger wall, so they started building this one, it took a few decades to build and every century or so they put a new layer on the outside to keep the wind from wearing all the way through the wall. Within the wall, there are a number of guard barracks and armories, as well as the customs and immigration offices which we are approaching. This way, even if an attacker breaks a hole in the wall, all they do is provide a new way for the guard to get out of the wall. Though an attack of that scale hasn't happened since the great rebellion a thousand years ago, though with some of the guards on the rebellion's side the walls were less effective than they would have been. In addition, a wind enchantment is engraved into the base of the walls all the way around to keep the sand from blowing up and over the walls, thus the curved shape blows the sand up and away from the walls which keeps all but the most persistent of sand out. It also makes the top of the wall an excellent launching point for experienced pegasi, allowing them to reach the upper air currents with relative ease."

With that, they had arrived at the actual entrance to the walls, the sandstone path becoming a smooth marble walkway as they entered the massive structure. They quickly approached a series of small windows built into the side of the wall where a number of different creatures stood, they approached a rather bored looking mare standing behind a window marked Equestria as Midget moved on to a window marked Troy further down the line. The mare perked up at their approach, though she still sounded bored, "Another Equestrian here to see Troy? That's two today, are you perhaps actually emigrating or just visiting?"

Illiad simply passed Dax's documents through a slot at the base of the window, the mare behind the glass looked relieved that he didn't actually engage in conversation. "Just visiting then it seems. Well Mr. Blackwater, everything seems to be in order." She stamped one of the documents and pushed them back through the slot. She gave a tired nod towards Dax, " Have a great stay."

Illiad already was on to the Trojan window to get his own documents examined, though his weren't stamped like Dax's had been. And just like that, they had cleared immigration. Looking inward now they could just start to see what the city within the walls looked like. The marble streets were mostly clear despite it only being early evening, but those that wandered the streets were of all different varieties, ponies of the four races, as well as griffons, zebras, deer, buffalo, camels, minotaurs, thestrals, even a small dragon and a diamond dog could be seen. The buildings here were tall works of marble and glass, though some of the upper floors seemed to have just curtains instead of walls, perhaps to provide better airflow during the hot summer days. Further inward, they could see the shimmer of the central oasis with the lights that were already beginning to come on as the sun set past the far wall, upon which stood another tall tower, one made of metal and ending in a point like a tall needle reaching for the sky. A number of circles adorned it in some odd fashion.

A cool wind blew against their backs, seemingly ushering them inward to a whole new world.

(Yes, it is a radio tower standing on the far wall, the Trojans have invented the radio.)

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

Dax had been ready to say... well, something to the mare behind the window.  Then the papers passed by, and he saw how the Customs mare seemed like she'd rather ignore him than talk to him.  He said nothing at all as the papers were finished up, and simply followed Illiad out into the streets.

Gee, it's wonderful to meet you too, lady... thanks for the warm... wel... come...

The marvelous city stretched out before him.  The colors, the sounds, the weird and unique-looking buildings... all seemed to simply burst with strange and wondrous things all around him.  And the multitude of others here?  A varied cornucopia of beings, all living in harmony, all within the magnificent walls of Troy.

... how could I even think I'd rate a footnote in such a place as this?  Heck, everything here makes the quarry seem so small... so unrefined...

He simply looked around in awe.

... so insignificant and unimportant.

Chances were, he wasn't exactly talking about the quarry anymore.

But he didn't want to appear ungrateful or rude, so he threw a smile on, and turned to the unicorn.

"This... is... amazing.  This has GOT to be the most folks I've ever seen in one place!  And so many different folks, too - it's the biggest melting pot EVER!"

• Brohoof 1

@@Randimaxis,

Illiad seemed to take quite a bit of pride in Dax's words, "Yep, one of the few places in the world where so many races actually manage to get along well enough to reside in the same city. Don't get me wrong, it still has plenty of problems, when you have so many different cultures and ideologies there's bound to be some clashes. Oh, and don't let the lack of conversation back there get you down, most creatures around here aren't really early-risers is you will, if you'll remember this place is nocturnal for the most part. Thus official functions try to keep conversation to a minimum in the early hours of the evening."

Illiad walked forward down the marble street, despite being made up of many small stones it all seemed to flow seamlessly between them, even the passing carts didn't seem to make too much noise as they rolled by. They were walking towards the center of town, and the oasis there. It was a pretty empty space, though a number of gravel pathways wandered about the greenery surrounding the oasis. A number of stalls had been set up, and a few creatures were seemingly in the process of setting up others as well.

"This is the Trojan Grand Marketplace, during the night this place is filled with stalls containing anything you could want, and even things you never knew you wanted, all it takes is to look for it. Now they're just setting up, but when we pass by again later in the evening they'll be in full swing."

Across the lake and beyond the sparse collection of stalls on the far side stood a rather impressive marble building with a large number of columns, flanked by two equally impressive buildings, though they were still a bit far off to make out the details.

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

He nodded and smiled.

"It's just amazing that so many folks can live side-by-side like this... Troy really is an amazing place!"

What have I gotten myself into?

"And nocturnal... I do think you told me that before, didn't you?"

This... this is what Equestria SHOULD be like.

"Oh, I simply can't WAIT for the stars to come out!"

But it's not... it really isn't...

"So much to see... I don't know that a week would be able to cover enough!"

And according to Illiad, it's all Princess Celestia's fault.  She who speaks of friendship and harmony so much...

"Say... what's that iron spire for?  Is it art?  It's REALLY big for art!"

Why did I ever think I'd fit in here?

"IS it art, Illiad?"

As long as I just keep quiet and do what I'm told, I'll cause no problems, make no waves, and leave no mark.

"C'mon... what is it?"

I don't belong here... not with all these wonderful folks.

• Brohoof 1

@@Randimaxis,

Illiad started to look a bit unsure, "Well, I mean it isn't too different from any Equestrian city, just a bit more diversity. Really I've found the culture of living here is pretty similar to living in the row housing in Canterlot. Unlike a small area like your quarry, there is hardly the expectation of knowing everyone else. To stand out here you have to really try, that's why most just blend into the crowd, just be part of the bigger picture."

He sighed, "That iron spire up there? That's the Lunar Radio broadcast tower. They talk in an office here in Troy, and that tower broadcasts it to the receiving towers in the other cities and outposts so everyone in the nation with a radio can hear what they're saying here. It only works one way, but it makes it pretty easy for the Consul to make announcements to the whole nation without sending just a form letter."

He stopped, them having arrived at the far side of the lake and at the very front of the building they had seen from before. It was an odd shape this building, before them stood a large entryway which they could see extended into a hallway towards a large circular room that had two other hallways extending off of it which connected to two other, albiet smaller, circular rooms. Columns were evenly spaced along the exterior of the building, and windows dotted the hallways to the sides while the circular rooms remained fully enclosed.

"And this is the Trojan Capital Council Chambers where both the Council of Troy has their meetings as well as the Trojan Grand Council, of which Midget here is a member representing Deltrot." Midget gave another wave at the attention being brought back to him, revealing that he had still been following them the whole time.

" If um... If you want to ask me something... I wouldn't mind talking about what I do... if you're interested that is."

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

Dax turned to look at Midget.

"Well, I... I kind of figured you...  well..."

He sighed.

Maybe the truth'll help; try that.

He took a large, shaky breath, blew it all out in a gust, then closed his eyes.

"For what it's worth, I promise you that I'm just as nervous as you are - maybe more, because I want so badly to try to make a good impression on the folks who are important in Illiad's life.  He's the best friend I've EVER had, and it's important to me to try to be a good friend back to him by NOT embarrassing him... and from all he's told me, you're one of the most important - and loyal - friends he has, Mister... Councilor Hooves, sir... and I get the idea that you feel the same way about him."

Mister..?  Oh, I hope he's not offended!

"But I also know what it means to be afraid - trust me on that one - that things might go wrong.  Well, I, for one, am actually really glad to meet you, as Illiad's told me so much about what you've both been doing here, and how important it really is... and in my opinion, someone who does what they do for the betterment of all is someone of worth and kindness."

Am I coming on too strong?  Not enough?

"In that vein, Councilor sir... I would very, very much like to hear what you do here, because it's important to both of you... and I'd like it to be important to me, too."

Please, dear sweet Luna, don't let this blow up in my muzzle...

He gave the pegasus a bashful grin.  "... sorry if I said too much.  Sir... Councilor... Councilor, sir."

Oh, good grief.

• Brohoof 1

@@Randimaxis

Midget dug at the ground a bit, though the marble roadway prevented him from having any lasting impact. "Oh, I don't know about all that." He looked more directly at Dax, "I'm not nervous, just shy. Being nervous would imply I have doubts as to my personal security around you, but there is nothing about you that I could fear. Further, I hardly think I'm the most important or loyal friends that Illiad has, he has Princess Luna and Swift for those spots. Though I suppose I can concur that he fills those spots in my life. "

He paused for a moment, "As to what I do presently, I represent the council of Deltrot in the Trojan Grand Council, thus I propose, argue, amend, and vote on bills based on how they would affect Deltrot as well as the rest of the nation. The citizens of Deltrot voted for me to represent them in these matters so that they would not have to have a part in all these matters directly."

He gave a slight smile and shrugged, " It doesn't sound like much when I say it like that, but it really does take a good chunk of my time as it is. Meetings are an endless part of my job, which reminds me, we need to get into a meeting pretty soon."

Illiad nodded as he gestured up the steps into the large structure, "You'll be able to wait inside while the meeting occurs, I promise it won't take too long."

With that he led them up the steps into the building, opening the large doors to reveal a small entryway with another set of doors on the far end. They closed the first doors behind them before opening the second doors, revealing their function as a way to keep the wind from blowing directly into the main structure. Through the second set was a marble hallway with a few plate glass windows interspersed in the columns that seemed so prevalent in Trojan architecture. The hallway led directly into a large round room, rows of seats in amphitheater arrangement surrounded a podium in the center or the room, had it a speaker they would be facing away from the door they came through. Directly across from their entrance was a set of box seats, seven sets, in fact, each labeled with a city in the nation. Namely: Troy, Alphens, Spartrot, Æther, Deltrot, Omarega, and DelPhi.

Other exits to the room were situated to either side of the boxed seats, Illiad leading them through the one on the right. Through the door was a longer hallway with doors instead of windows along the sides, indicating that this hall served to hold a number of offices. There were also benches every so often, next to one of which Midget opened a door labeled 'Counselor Midget Hooves, Deltrot.' and went inside, propping the door open for Illiad to follow inward.

Illiad turned back to Dax and gestured to the bench, "Please wait here, either on this bench or at least in this hallway. I promise I'll be back out in just a moment and I'll be with you for the rest of the trip okay?" He waited for Dax to respond, not wanting to leave the colt alone if he didn't want to be alone.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...

@@Randimaxis

(There's been a large skip here, a document will soon be posted to connect it all back up.)

Illiad and Play looked at each other for a moment before turning back to Dax as they walked inside the house,

"I suppose it does seem a bit odd."

"It really was a one in a million chance,"

"But a pure coincidence nonetheless."

"We both thought it odd at first,"

"You were far more nervous about it than I was."

"Hush up, we just played along"

"And so that's what the ponies in Canterlot accepted"

"Most still think we're twins"

"And we like it fine that way"

"But to show you the key difference..."

With a pair of flashes, one blue, and one surprisingly golden in color, the two ponies were standing now without their robes. Illiad Dax recognized, down to the scars on his back, and the fresher ones scattered about from his stay in the quarry. His mark was just as Dax remembered.

On the other side was Play Write, his coat flawlessly groomed and almost shining in the low light of the house's interior. And there Dax could see his mark, rather than the complex cross Illiad had, Play's mark was simply a quill pen on parchment, which seemed to indicate, in line with his name, a talent in writing.

Plus of course, there was that strange other color of magic thing, most unicorns magic was the same color as their eyes. Both both of their eyes were blue right?

(This line is for next time, Dax would likely not pass the perception check to see it, and would then ask Play about the difference in magic color, who would point out the eye color ring. Truth is he wears contacts that change his eye color to further enhance the twinness. (Or so he tells people))

On closer inspection, Dax could see that Play's eyes seemed to have a faint gold ring, a detail that once he noticed, he could now tell the two apart, with a bit of looking.
  • Brohoof 1

A Changeling, maybe?  Or just a spell of some sort?  Separated at birth?

Dax's head spun with questions, but he opted for something that caught his eye a bit more.

"Oh, Illiad... those scars, the new ones... it really WAS that bad, wasn't it?"

Dax gave a slight shudder as the specter of Havoc loomed large in his mind - the inky black draconequus may have been vanquished, but the memory of that horrific creature would occasionally haunt Dax's dreams for some time to come... but the moment passed in a split second, and the Blackwater shook it off.

"Yeah... you're so very close, but NOT the same, now that I look at it - and you both just... found each other?"

Dax began to wonder if maybe there was a twin of his own out there somewhere... but almost instantly felt bad for them, as they might be mistaken for HIM; he banished the thought as soon as it formed.

"How did you first meet?" he asked with a smirk.

@@Randimaxis (I haven't typed that tag in so long!)

Play's eyes went HUGE at the mention of scars, and a gasp that likely could be heard from the street as he spun to inspect Illiad, rather closely at that, whist muttering to himself just loud enough for the others to hear him. "Oh this could be bad for your image, What did you get yourself into? What were you thinking! And with your next appearance so close there's no way it will all grow back out in time." He finally stepped back and sighed, "At least the robe covers it well enough, I didn't notice it earlier but we'll still have to deal with that fallout once they get pictures, have to explain to the press why you getting injured on a cultural exchange to Equestria is NOT proof that they can't hold a civilized discussion."

Illiad just rolled his eyes at Play's antics, "You worry too much. I went to a rock quarry after all, 'I partook in the local culture to the point where it left its mark on me for the better, both mentally and physically.'"

Play looked at him sidelong as he turned back to face Dax, "...And that's why I write your speeches."

It was all of two seconds before they were both softly chuckling at apparently their own inside joke before they reasserted themselves and focused back in on Dax.

"How we met?"

"Well I suppose it went just like you described."

"We found each other in Canterlot,"

"I had just moved up from Troy and looking for a place to stay,"

"I was getting a bunch of strange comments as to why I was looking to move out."

"Eventually he found me,"

"Right outside of a rental agency,"

"Had a line I sure he had been thinking up all day,"

"'So I guess you're the reason everyone thinks I'm moving.'"

"A bit surprising to be greeted like that,"

"As surprising as finding someone basically your body double."

"I was worried he'd be mad,"

"But I'm a nice enough guy,"

"Even offered to rent out his room to me,"

"Really hard to convince my mom."

"Dad thought it was hilarious"

"On board from the moment he saw us together"

"So the next day I moved in"

"And became part of the family."

They both looked over at each other as if pondering for some detail they might have missed, before nodding and turning back to Dax. "That about sums it up."

Play decided he'd ask a question of his own as he moved rather gracefully to take a seat on one of Illiad's couches. "So Dax, I would love to hear what you think about Illiad. What kind of pony is he in your eyes?"

• Brohoof 1

The back-and-forth speaking would have normally made anyone's head spin... but after having spent time around Beck & Call, Dax wondered if Play would be disappointed that the young Blackwater wasn't confused in the slightest?  

Asked about Illiad, Dax's heart gave a fierce rush of pride and joy.  Don't overdo it - no need to embarrass my best friend in front of HIS best friend.

"From the moment we started corresponding, Illiad has been nothing but wonderful.  After only one single week in the Blackwater Quarry, he proved to my entire family how absolutely stellar he is - he charmed Mother, impressed Father and managed somehow to enamor my younger brother... not to mention his reputation as a hero is known all through the quarry.  While he was there, he showed kindness, understanding and even courage that rivals the Mane Six themselves."

The smile on his muzzle couldn't have been more genuine.  "Illiad's the kind of pony I want to be, Mr. Write - the best kind."

• Brohoof 1

@@Randimaxis

Play seemed to have materialized a notepad with magic, and appeared to be writing down Dax's comment with a touched expression, hoof to his chest and everything, "That will make a very nice submission to the local papers. A certified true testimony of character, and from a future protectorate no less!" He giddily clapped his hooves together, "Oh he's just going to shoot up in the polls!"

Play froze mid glee as a chuckle was heard from outside, quickly followed by a knock through the door. Out the window Dax could see what was probably a deer, a doe to be precise, with a dainty hoof to her mouth as she giggled. "What's got you so riled up Play? Haven't seen you this excited since"

a pillow hit the window from the inside, and Play had a rather comically angry expression as he pointed forcefully at the doe, who only responded with a fresh round of giggles before Illiad opened the door.

In walked the doe, Swift from before, and another unicorn that Dax hadn't met yet.

Illiad levitated a table in from the other room, which he set in the middle of the couches as each of the guests took seats, the doe and Play seated at opposite ends of one couch, while Swift and the other unicorn sat on either side of the other, Illiad taking a seat in the chair as he looked towards Dax. "Well, you wanted to meet my friends, and what better way to do that than to have you participate in our every-other-weekly game day!" He pointed around the room, each waving at Dax as they were introduced, "Swift, Carbon, Glen, and Play, meet Dax Blackwater, Dax, meet Swift, Carbon, Glen, and Play."

• Brohoof 1

Dax's eyes popped open as he heard the outside voices, then he smiled as he saw Illiad's friends make their way inside.

Oh WOW - they're here!  I didn't expect this right now, but... oh, this is AWESOME!

Dax looked them all over and once introduced, gave a gracious bow - a Trojan bow, no less!

"Good to meet all of you - yes, I'm Dax Blackwater; I'm the one who's been sending Illiad all those letters... and I assume YOU are the ones he wants me to meet!"

He nodded to Swift, who he'd met earlier.  "Hiya... again!"

He looked at the others, acknowledging and smiling at Glen with a slight wave... then, he looked to Carbon.

"Illiad's mentioned YOU a lot... it's nice to finally meet the one Illiad has so much respect for."  He offered a hoof.  "A pleasure, Mr. Copy."

Mother would have told you to stand straighter... but she'd have been proud, no doubt.

"So..." Dax tried not to fidget too much as he asked, "what were you told about me?  I mean... d-do I live up to the expectations, or..."

Dax looked a tad nervous; he shrugged non-comittedly, but he was genuinely curious as to what they would say.  He was pretty sure that Illiad probably had told at least ONE of them about the letters - unless he'd been keeping it secret.

• Brohoof 1

@@Randimaxis

(To give them a description first)

Glen the doe had a walnut brown coat with snowy white dots symmetrically across her body and especially accumulated on her face and flanks, though she seemed to have no mark at all, nor did the dots resemble any sort of image like the lines on a zebra. she had a white underbelly to match the spots from the base of her neck to the tip of her tiny tail that resembled the tail of a diamond dog more than a pony, though hers was more like a wiggly triangularish thing. She had hazel eyes.

Carbon Copy (Kudos for remembering his name) had an almost coal black that bordered on charcoal coat with a straight black mane that was parted evenly to both sides of his face and horn. His tail was conservative in length and similarly straight. His purple eyes seemed nervous, even among clear friends.

(Onward)

Glen acted taken aback, but the look on her face showed no ill will, "What, no pleasure to me? Did Illiad not tell you of all the times saved him out on the dunes? For shame." With a huffy pout she turned away from the group, but a light chuckle from everyone was enough to bring her back with all smiles. "Yes Illiad did tell us a bit about you, at least he told me."

Play took a moment to speak, "Though it was only what you mentioned in your letters, so we really have no idea what he's learned since then about you."

With a soft thunk a small box was placed on the table, "Well you're all about to find out exactly the kind of pony he really is." as Illiad followed the box's example as he sat himself back down in the chair.

Carbon took advantage of the distraction to mumble out a shy response to Dax's praise. "Oh Illiad didn't need to say all that of me, I'm hardly important."

The box on the table was a copy of 'My Little Munchkin' the cover art showed a mini pony wielding a hammer as big as it, a horned hat taller than it, and a chainsaw. 'Beat the monster, Snag the treasure, Trick your buddy!'

It was quickly followed by another, smaller box from Play's direction, simply titled Chanchkin, the picture was of a similarly over armed changeling with a huge grin. It was clearly an expansion to the first game.

Illiad smiled, "We'll all be able to exchange questions between Dax and the rest of us as we see and reveal, the types of friends we really are!"

Swift spoke up though, "Before we begin, I would just like to say that Dax is a wonderful listener and a curious sort, he didn't complain once when I went off on my usual stories about town and even endured the whole tour with a spring in his step. I'm sure he'll be a great friend to Illiad for a good long while, as well as a friend to the rest of us." His smile went a bit dark. "So long as he doesn't take the game to personally that is."

Everyone chuckled at Swift as Illiad unboxed the cards and began shuffling them, surprisingly without magic. He used only his hooves to manipulate the deck much like a professional dealer would, as he shuffled in the cards from the second box he looked towards Dax, "Do you want to learn as you go, or watch a few turns before joining to see how the game works? There's plenty of time for talking as the turns go."

• Brohoof 1

Dax took stock of Illiad's friends... and smiled.

Y'know - they remind me of how varied the crew at the quarry is; different personalities and how they blend with each other.  I think I might just make some friends here, after all.

To Glen: "Illiad didn't really have much time to talk - I was going a mile a minute!  But that gives you the chance to tell me in person & watch him blush, right?"

To Carbon: "Not to hear Illiad speak of you; your name came up the most, followed by Swift's - and he said you know your gemstones.  I'd love to get your opinion on a Blackwater emerald sometime, i-if that's okay?"

To Swift: "They weren't boring old stories to me, Mr. Swift!  Illiad told me how you gave that same tour to him when he got to Troy, and it was like seeing it through his eyes!  Thank you so much for that, I really mean it."

Dax looked at the game for a moment, then shrugged and gave a cheerful grin.  "No time like the present to learn, I suppose!  I'll bet you're all GREAT at it, so I should pick up in no time, right?"

However, Dax was very cautiously keeping his calm, cool and friendly demeanor together for a very good reason - so the Empathic in the room would have zero clue that Oglevy had taught him how to play My Little Munchkin YEARS ago, and had consequently STOPPED playing him when he discovered Dax was TOO good at it.  The Blackwater was well aware of the game's... *ahem* "rules"... so he wasn't about to let on that he was already planning how to work his false facial expressions, his 'nervousness', and his 'innocence' into his act.

Because the rules stated that it was perfectly legal to CHEAT... as long as you don't get caught.  And nobody EVER suspected innocent Daxter of skullduggery.

"So, how do we get started?" he asked with an innocent smile and a calm head.

• Brohoof 1

@@Randimaxis

There was a glint to the eye of both Play and Swift, though it was unclear if they were wise to his ruse, or planned to capitalize on his supposed innocence.

Illiad had accumulated a small pile of cards that he had dealt out while shuffling. "Here's the race cards, everyone choose your starting race."

Play chose the Changeling race from the expansion he brought, giving him the bonus of being able to get the advantage in any applicable encounter due to race while ignoring any racial downside (Like the halfbreed card lets you get the advantage of both races without the encounter downsides 'An enemy that hates elves has no problem with half elves') Except when the downside effects changelings.

Swift took the Pegasus race, giving him a plus two to escape

Glen took the Deer race, giving her the ability to evade traps by discarding a card, keeping the trap by discarding two.

Carbon took the Unicorn race, giving him plus two against monsters for every card he discards in a fight, discard all (minimum 3) to teleport away, leaving the treasure and immediately opening another door card.

Illiad took the Zebra race, making any potion cards twice or half as effective as he chose when he was involved (A potion he plays will be twice as effective, while any potion used against him will be half as effective.)

Dax could choose from any of these races, or:

Earth Pony: Can use any number of heavy items and carry two more cards in their hoof.

Griffon: Carry one extra card and plus one to escape

Crystal Pony: Whenever they draw treasure cards, draw one more

(If you come up with a satisfying racial bonus for another race, you're free to choose it.)

As races were decided Illiad dealt two cards from the door deck and the treasure deck to each player, but no one looked at their cards just yet as they looked to see what race Dax would pick, each taking a small token from a pile at the center of the table to represent their level. 

Glen gave a sinister, yet kindhearted, grin as she nodded, giving Illiad a look that seemed to worry him.

Carbon just blushed and looked away shyly, though his ears and whole persona perked up at the mention of emeralds, "Really? A pure emerald? While I specialize in diamonds I would be happy to look at your emeralds."

Swift nodded with a proud smile.

(I just need to find my copy of Munchkin to get the cards right. I'm editing a copy of Munchkin Legends to story lore to play this game. Actually surprised that you've played it before, or at least seem to know it.)

• Brohoof 1

(I've played Steve Jackson games a number of times over the years, but I'm exceedingly rusty - we can mostly glean over much the actual gameplay.)

Dax picked up the cards, looked at them as if he were studying Igpay Atinlay manuals, and then returned the others to the table.

"Uhm... I think I should s-stick to what I know, so I g-guess I'll just play the Earth Pony."

... my favorite strategic race...

With that, he watched and listened intently as the game was played, showing no sign or hint that he knew what he was doing... yet slowly gathering cards that would allow him to take one DASTARDLY turn in the late game.  He watched closely, acting (and emoting) innocence while he built his hand up, asking questions that a newbie would... yet also listening to their responses & trying to gauge what cards they might have had.

THIS was a side of Dax he never put out much - it was a direct genetic link to Vylia Blackwater's astute and wry mind; the part of Dax that had the potential to be a War General, if properly trained.  Lightning calculations based on what cards he knew & what the potential to win was in each round.  It was also a testament to Dax's growing mental control, as he emoted not a bit when he drew the card that went with the other three (and the hidden one he had as well); he simply looked at it, puzzled, and asked what the heck a "fnord" was.

After a bit, he looked over at Illiad and simply said out loud, in front of them all, in a completely innocent fashion:

"Illiad, did you want to tell them about Silver Studs?  Y'know... the quarry's HandyMARE?"

His smile was sweet & innocent... but Dax had been taken by surprise with Illiad's expansion pack.  He'd not seen these cards yet, and it was throwing off his calculations.  So, in a game of My Little Munchkin, what else would a friend do but draw a lot of attention and focus onto someone to break their concentration?

@@Randimaxis

(Alright, that's much better)

The embarrassment was clear on Illiad's face by the deep crimson that quickly engulfed it. And soon enough everyone's attention was turned to him was particularly intrigued expressions on their faces as well as no shortage of raised eyebrows, which only caused the blush to deepen and Illiad's head to retreat partially into his robes from the embarrassment.

Glen was the first to speak up "Ooooo, looks like he hit a soft spot there." a very mischievous smile, though a hint of genuine interest to her eyes, "Do tell us Deary, what's the future Mrs. Easle like?"

Illiad's embarrassment only climbed higher as he managed to choke out a response, clearly he did not like being put on the spot in front of his friends. They, however, seemed to love putting him up there, "ssssshe's... nice."

Chuckles all around as Play spoke up, "Oh come on, we all know it takes more than nice to catch your eye."

"Yeah, especially since you and Play..."

Daggers were instantly glared into Glen's head by the both of them, making her stop what she was saying with a 'sheesh' and a defensive posture.

Swift was quick to ease the tension back off, "Silver Studs, a handymare you say? Sounds like she must be pretty smart to go catching Illiad's attention, 'specially since the last unicorn he liked skipped town right before he could actually date her."

Illiad mocked a look of hurt, "What's with everyone spilling my love secrets? It's not like I'm the only one who's dating."

Glen retorted, "Well they at least expected me to be dating again, you on the other hoof are a complete surprise."

Illiad sighed and rolled his eyes as he recovered the cards that had exploded from his hoof when Dax dropped the bombshell of a distraction, revealing to everyone that he had a few powerful cards up his figurative sleeve, including a high level monster, a loaded die, and the jumping Gemini. "Very well, Yes, Silver Studs is the handymare at the Blackwater Quarry, and a veritable genius with machinery. She singlehoofedly invented a device that can find underground oases, and honestly that is the small stuff of what I saw in her workshop." A love-struck smile came to his face.

So he didn't notice when all the others got through their monster fights without him throwing potions to stop them, meaning when it came to Dax's turn, everyone else was at level 7 and Glen and Play at 8, while he and Illiad were still 6. Though if he worked quick he could join the others in getting ahead while Illiad was distracted. Perhaps by keeping the conversation going about Silver he could even distract the rest of them?

• Brohoof 1

Dax grinned and looked at the others with excitement for his friend.

"Oh, YEAH!  Silver's really, really smart!  She not only takes care of all the quarry's mechanical needs, but she also designs all SORTS of stuff - like one of the things we have for Troy - that can be incredibly useful.  She's a bit of a mental dynamo... but you'd never know it to hear her say such; Silver's pretty humble about it, but she's gotta be one of the smartest folks I know!"

While he talked, he simply set down the cards he needed to advance a level... then two.  Before he tried to set up his last gamble, he was going to need another distraction - not just for Illiad, but the others as well.  He got a mischievous grin and set his gaze on the Empathic, a sly humour coming off him and directed right at Illiad.

"And from what I saw between her and Illiad, I'll guess she was a pretty good kisser too, right?"

It's strange - I never had friends before to tease like this; it's not mean at all, but more like I'm proud for what he accomplished with Silver... and I want his friends to know it, too.  Maybe this'll help him open up to them a bit more about her.

@@Randimaxis

(Sorry for the delay)

Uproarious laughter around the table as Illiad's blush grew even brighter, even Carbon, who had been fairly reserved up to this point was laughing.

The embarrassment was coming off of Illiad so thick that Dax could swear he felt it like a breeze against him. But that was probably a trick of the imagination right?

It was safe to say that the group was fairly distracted at that point. Given he hadn't drawn a monster to enter the room he could play a two level monster from his hoof, if he had one, and steel the game while they weren't looking.

Illiad was too busy stuttering and failing to assemble a coherent statement, which just seemed to add to his friends' amusement.

(If Dax does play a two level monster however...)

He was quickly disappointed in his goal however, as no sooner had he laid the card on the table than another card landed atop it, a glint in Play's eyes as he moved the monster to be in front of him. 'Standing Stones' read the card, which allowed him to take a monster from another fight and use it as if he had opened the door to face it, the player it was stolen from would finish their turn as normal.

(Just remember that, while cards can get you up to level 9, you can only reach level ten by beating a monster.)

(If Dax does not try to win the game this turn there are no more effects.) 

• Brohoof 1

Dax looked about at the others - Illiad covered in embarrassment, the rest flowing with goodwill and friendship - and internally smiled brightly.

They're all having so much fun together... THIS is what I was hoping would be the reality.  So long have I yearned to actually witness true friendship, and here it is, in front of me at last.  And, through some sort of miracle, I'm actually a part of it - included at last.  I'm not the focus, but I don't need to be; just being here, experiencing this, and being welcome here is more than I'd ever hoped I'd know.

Illiad really has opened up my horizons.  I'd believed the Cultural Exchange would change my life... and I am NOT disappointed.

But...

Dax couldn't help himself; he'd been downplaying himself for so long, it was only natural that he'd feel it again.  However, instead of the downward turn it usually took, this reaction was more of a sideways shift:

... he has so many friends already, and they're all so intent on this game, bonding over their skill & ability, and making grand but innocent fun of each other as they do.  I... I can't win this game; I shouldn't.  I've already got a strategy down for executing monsters, and MORE than enough cards to come out at level 9... but this isn't my game.  It's his; it's THEIRS.  Stepping in and just swooping up the victory would be... i-it'd be awkward, and not to mention whether or not anyone here's a sore loser or not...

No.  I don't need this victory - I'm winning enough just by being included.

With that, Dax reached out to draw... and knocked over the draw pile.  "Oops!  Heh heh... my bad."

Restacking them, he deftly slipped his ace-in-the-hole back into the deck, looked at his own cards and sighed.  Glancing up at the others, he gave a trademark sheepish grin.

"Sorry - butterhooves, me.  Guess it's my go..."

He played a card, but it wasn't going to get him anywhere near a win.  At this point, Dax simply wanted to watch the others doing what they did with each other - and revel in the knowledge that, regardless, he was welcome here.  He was with his best friend, and flanked by even more potential friends... in his mind, he had already won more than any victory the little card game could offer him.

He'd keep himself active, but Dax was no longer even trying to win - he was too busy watching everyone else.

@@Randimaxis

(That was a truly touching scene right there.)

While the other players had been playing casually at the beginning, now that the game was clearly in its final stages the friends were pulling out all the stops, though they were still going easy on Dax and Carbon.

The traps and potions that had been so carefully accumulated by Glen and Illiad respectfully were now being thrown left and right in a sort of team effort to keep the other players from getting their final level. They seemed especially keen against Play, who had now twice been killed by monsters who had been wandered his way.

Nonetheless, it came down to everyone being level nine, typical hoof size of only one or two cards at this point, and no one helping out on fights.

Eventually they would run out of bonus and attack cards, someone would draw a monster that the others simply couldn't modify enough to keep them from winning. And everyone was especially keen on it not happening to the one before them.

Then, just as the game was getting the most intense it had been all night, when casual conversation had dropped to zero, there was a shift in the feeling, Dax could feel it. Illiad, Play, Swift, and Glen all looked at each other, and physically relaxed. Illiad and Swift seemed to do some quick hoof ritual, and it seemed Illiad won whatever their little contest was, as the play turned to Dax.

His door card was a monster, decently leveled, and he could easily defeat it as long as no one else played anything against him.

But rather than the pair of cards that typically followed any low leveled monster, Glens traps having changed Dax's race and gender so often he had lost track of what he was at that point, all the other players just looked at Dax with excited smiles, waiting for him.

Were they really just going to hoof him the match?

A better question though, was he going to let them?

• Brohoof 1