Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private A Cultural Exchange 1x1 with Randimaxis

Illiad Easle

He sent his glance among the rest, panning across them all, and the thought hit him.

They... want me to win?

Dax had always been an avid player of My Little Munchkin; he'd learned all the strategies, memorized the common cards, spent countless nights planning and re-planning, and had at least three different strategies open for him to win - two of them set up by Carbon himself - and had always prided himself on his savvy mental might to win out in any adventure the game might have thrown at him...

But he didn't want to win - and now, they were almost literally just giving him the win.  It was confusing, mostly because Dax had never HAD anyone be so generous to him before... and here was a group of friends, all looking to give him a win so he could enjoy the game too.  They didn't know he was just enjoying being here at all, and how could they?

They had never seen Dax cry.  They hadn't watched the soul-rending change in him whenever he heard the dreaded nickname called out to him.  They hadn't seen him nervously steel himself to ask Illiad about mares.  They had not the first clue that Daxter Blackwater was as emotional as he truly was...

But Illiad Easle had.

Dax scratched his head, then set down his two remaining cards - both quite able to win, but both face down, in the typical way someone does when they 'fold'.

"Ummmm... I don't think I can win with any of these cards, but... but YOU can win, Illiad!  And you winning is good enough for me!  So... I g-guess I'm... uhm, out?  I tried, so..."

He even let a little ribbon of disappointment out, just for Illiad's sake, but also wound a band of happiness & satisfaction around it; he wanted the Trojan to see Dax was taking the loss well.

"... sorry - I guess My Little Munchkin is one of those things I'll just have to work at!"

He sat back and smiled his sheepish grin at the rest of the table, taking a small slice of satisfaction from knowing that he had the skills to win this game every time... but he chose to let his friend take the victory. 

As a true friend should, he thought.

• Brohoof 1

@@Randimaxis

Illiad, and Glen to her credit, looked touched by the move, though Play rolled his eyes in good humor. "You see, we have this rule here,"

"The newbie gets to win."

Glen added herself to the twins usual banter, "And since you're the new one..."

Illiad shrugged, "Whether you accept the win or not, the game is over for this week." He tossed a potion card onto Dax's side, boosting him enough to easily clear the monster.

Despite loosing, all the others seemed to have had a great time playing, even Carbon who clearly had little experience in the game itself had a large smile on his face as he was now fully opened up to the group. A huge contrast from the shy stallion who had first greeted him.

"Now," Illiad said as he deftly, but carefully, sorted out the cards into their boxes, "I think we forgot the conversation somewhere along the way in that game, and given Dax so graciously won, it's only fair that he ask the first question to the group."

The card table was removed from the center as all eyes turned expectantly to Dax to see what question they might ask him, as well as planning what questions they could ask in return. 

• Brohoof 1

The earth pony was genuinely touched at the gesture; he knew friends were supposed to share... but he had no idea they would share as a group!  Completely out of surprise, his emotions were high and grateful, not to mention he now felt so welcome and accepted among them... there may have been no words for how Dax Blackwater was feeling fight now, but Illiad didn't need words to know the young stallion was both overjoyed and humbled from the group assembled here.

He considered the question carefully; what would he ask about?  There were so many things to inquire after - Troy itself, the observatory, the concert, the radio tower, Midget Hooves, the marketplace, Deltrot itself... but, of course, he knew what it would be.  He would ask the question that he knew would be answered with smiles, goodwill and pleasant memories.  The question that would give him even greater insight as to how to make friends.

"Okay, then - my question is easy... but I'm sure you'll enjoy it!"

He beamed a flash of a smile, then kindly spread his hooves to them.

"Tell me how each of you met Illiad - at least, what you're willing and able to tell.  You don't have to give up any secrets, but it would be really nifty to hear what brought the lot of you together with the common link of Mr. Easle, and how he's touched the hearts of each of you..."

Dax's smile and eyes shifted to face Illiad.  "... like he touched the hearts of me and my family."

@Randimaxis (I just realized I don't have to do the full bracket tag to tag people, man that's going to save me some time.)

The group seemed happy with the question, each with a smile as they thought about their first encounter with the emphatic stallion.

Play was the first to speak up, "Well, if we go in chronological order, I was the first to meet him, but you already know my story."

Swift was next, "I was his mail carrier his first day here in Deltrot, he was a shy one, and clearly not one looking to make friends 'cause of what happened in Canterlot, but Play told me to get him acquainted with town so I asserted myself to do it."

"You dragged me outside." Illiad said with a smirk.

"Like I said, by the end of the tour we were well acquainted, and within a few weeks he had started making friends again."

Glen followed, "I was one of those first friends, Swift had me meet Illiad since he wanted to explore out on the dunes, and Swift didn't want his newest buddy getting himself killed."

Illiad just gave a halfhearted glare in response,

"So I took him out there, and sure enough he had an absolutely terrible time getting up each of the dunes, got attacked by silt scorpions as well as stepping on a baby stone crab which did not take too kindly too him."

Illiad rolled his eyes

"So I carried him home to patch him up. Imagine my surprise when he's back at my door not two nights later saying he wanted to do it again!"

Carbon was next, "Well, I'm still a fairly new addition to this whole friend group, I just moved in here to Deltrot about a year ago. But Illiad was kind enough to help Swift show me around, and we've been friends ever since." He shrugged, "I guess it's not as flashy or fun as the others, but it was good enough for me."

Then each of them adopted a new pensive look as they thought of a question to send back to Dax.

Play: "What's the quarry like? OR better said, What's it like to live on a quarry?"

Swift: "I'd like to know more about your family, what they're all like."

Glen: "First impressions on Troy? How does it compare to what Illiad told you about it? And be honest, I want to know if you found something lacking after Illiad's description."

Carbon: "You mentioned a Blackwater emerald earlier, what makes them different from other emeralds?"

• Brohoof 1

Dax gave a bit of a chuckle.  

I was expecting one question at a time... but actually, I like it this way - answers to everyone, and it gives me more of a chance to talk.  And Oglevy was right, the little fuzzball; I DO like to talk!

His eyes lit up as he began to speak.

"Wow, uhm... th-thank you.  I... I don't really get to share much, so it's kinda like a treat to answer questions!  Illiad asked me a few of them while he was in the quarry, and through his letters... but I really don't get a lot of chances to regale others with what I know.  So, like I said, thank you.  All of you."

Sweet Luna's Crown, Dax... don't start crying!  I mean, they'd be happy tears, but... DON'T START!

Though his thoughts may have seemed harsh, he was actually grinning as he thought them - there was no way he could completely explain what life had been like for him, isolated and studious, without bringing the mood down... so, instead he simply decided to share the GOOD stuff, which he was MORE than eager to hear what they thought.

To Play: "Well, the Blackwater Quarry is nestled into the Crystal Mountainside, and because of such it's kinda secluded - we don't get many visitors - so it's really a self-contained little town, sorta.  I mean, there's a LOT to see there, but it's all quarry stuff.  There's a lot of work going on every day, but it's not SUPER stressed; the work goes steadily, and the workers?" Illiad felt Dax's mood take a slight dip a bit at that mention, but the others wouldn't be able to tell, and he recovered nicely.  "They take care of their duties well enough, and make enough pay to justify the hard work."

"It's kinda like... well, it'd be like living in a department store, in a way - all sorts of nifty things going on, but it's all within itself and feels kinda disconnected from the rest of Equus at times.  Maybe it'd be like living in your own personal petri dish!"

He laughed at the thought, his eyes shining with good humour.

To Swift:  "My family?"  Dax gave a slight chuckle.

"Well, I have Father, Mother, and a little brother who's just as annoying as you'd think.  I have a big brother too, but..."

He did his best to hide his feelings, but of course the Trojan Empathic would feel the tang of loss from him.  "... he's traveling abroad."

"My Father runs the quarry, and he's ALL business; HIS quarry, HIS rules, NO exceptions - that's his motto.  But besides that, he's firm but fair - he honestly does his best to run the place as efficiently as possible.  For an earth pony, he's a little bit of a... well, a stick-in-the-mud, but even with his eternal scowl, he loves us all so very much."

"Mother?"  He blushed a bit.  "Mother still treats me like a foal sometimes, but she means well.  She's an aspiring socialite... but her REAL talent is with numbers; more precisely, she's the quarry's head accountant.  She balances the books perfectly, and keeps a separate account to afford her own... style..."  He gave Illiad a sly grin at that.

"But she's got this high-class air about her, which puts some ponies off... but under all that, she's a sensible - if kinda scary at times - pegasus mare who loves us all.  Though sometimes, I kinda wish she didn't dote on me as much as she does at times."

"My little brother Oglevy is a pegasus, a certified genius... and a pest of the highest caliber.  Still," Dax smiled as he recalled the Fruit Pizza moment he'd shown Illiad, "he can be a cute little booger, when he wants to be.  He wants to grow up to be a Wonderbolt, and with his speed and bravery, he might actually have a shot at it."

"And my older brother, Harcourt..."

... had an argument with Father, which ended in him leaving the quarry for good; we haven't seen nor heard from him ever since.

"... he's always been more of a sociable type, so he's on a traveling tour of Equestria, maybe even all of Equus itself!  He's one of the kindest earth ponies you'd ever meet... but he also thinks he's Celestia's gift to mares, so maybe his ego would be his downfall.  But I like to think it just makes him more interesting."

"Because of past members of the family, we Blackwaters have an undeserved reputation for being... well, kinda... 'scoundrelly'?... but I assure you, those rumours don't apply to us.  We might be a tad... uhm, dysfunctional at times... but we're just ponies who live on a mountain, mining and such - and honestly?  I DO have my moments where I enjoy it."

To Glen:  "Are you kidding?  Illiad told me so much about this place... and it's even better than I'd ever imagined it to be!  From the moment I stepped off the train, I was... well, flabberghasted at how BIG it all was!  I mean, it might not seem like much to someone living here, but to a pony who's spent the majority of his life in a gem quarry... it's amazing!"

"The ray-dee-oh tower-thingy?  It's SO incredible!  A-and the marketplace?  WOWZERS!  The Council Chambers were..."

... scary, lonely, and unpleasant - especially after I met Illiad & Midget's opposition...

"... quite a sight, and the fact that Illiad wants to take me to a REAL observatory!  Ohhhhhhhhh..."

He danced a quick, happy little jig.  "I can't wait to see what else Troy has in store for me!"

And to Carbon:  "The Blackwater Emerald is a column of pure emerald, roughly six stories tall, that Father had an artist commissioned for - and that artist made it into a huge helix.  To date, it's the BIGGEST emerald ever found in Equestria... maybe even all of Equus, but..."

He blushed self-consciously, "... I'm really not trying to brag.  OH!  But as to what makes them special?"

Dax cleared his throat.  "The emeralds discovered by the Blackwater Quarry are put through our gem refinery, which has been operative for about 200 years - and because of the special way they're refined - a blend of machinery & magic - they have almost a luminescent shine to them.  That shine is due to the process, and because of it, it would be difficult for anyone to mistake a Blackwater emerald for a common one."

He reached back into his mane and pulled a string out, tied to the small sack he had left.  "Here... see for yourself!"

He opened the little pouch, and poured five emeralds from it; three fully refined and cut beautifully, one uncut and smooth one, and a rough, unrefined one.  Each of them were quite green, and Dax was right - though there could be little doubt of their purity, the refined ones had a slightly different hue to them... and, curiously enough, Illiad noticed for the first time that they were exactly the same color as Daxter Blackwater's eyes - a shining, almost glowing green that drew one's eye, regardless of whether they even liked gemstones or not.

Dax smiled, overjoyed that he was able to share his thoughts and opinions... and that they were being taken in by folks who were interested in what he had to say!

Okay, my turn again... guess I should make it count.

"So," he began, "since it's my turn, I'll ask this - what are YOUR opinions of Equestria?  Now," he held up a hoof, "I know that's not exactly a popular subject in Troy, but... well, the only opinions I've gotten have been from Illiad, and I'm sure YOU folks already know how HE feels... but, is that really everyone's opinion?"

Everyone, instead of everypony... I really AM picking up a lot from Illiad!

"How do YOU all feel?  And don't worry about hurting my feelings - I know it's about the situation, not about me.  I'm just curious to hear another Trojan's opinion... or, in this case, opinions!"

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

Everyone seemed genuinely interested in Dax's answers, all nodding politely as he answered each of their questions. The only exceptions were Glen and Carbon, Glen looked surprised at the description of Harcourt, then adopted an expression that she knew something he didn't. Carbon looked absolutely shocked at the description of the Balckwater Emerald. "Six... Th. That's taller than the capital spire!" He seemed like he would go on, but a sharp look from Swift made him stop. Carbon was quickly brought back around by the emerald presented to him, he even retrieved a jeweler's tool to examine it with precision, muttering a number of jewel lingo under his breath before he looked back up at the snikering of Glen and Swift, "Hey, I don't make fun of what you guys do." He turned back to Dax with a very impressed look on his face. "I must say it's the most perfect cut I've personally seen to date, the only better I've ever heard of would be a Trojan Master Diamond, but those are exceedingly rare."

Everyone looked thoughtful as they pondered the question posed to them. Glen was first to respond, "Personally, I think the misrepresentation of races is what spoils an otherwise very great place. The deer for example are practically unheard of, and those that have heard of them consider them savages or primitives, or both. Though I have had the great pleasure of proving the contrary to a number of caravans I've lead through the desert, and to one very lucky Equestrian who caught my eye." She looked at the others with a mock haughty look, "He says he comes from wealth..."

The friends rolled their eyes, "They all say that,"

Play was next to respond, "I only lived a short while in Canterlot, and I know enough to say that they clearly don't speak for all of Equestria in regards to how the country itself is. However, they are, at least the "nobility" the worst ponies I have ever met. The only exception I found among them were Illiad's grandparents, who self identified as being different from the rest of the bush, the pinks among red roses as they said." (I expect Dax would pick up on that to mean that Illiad's grandparents are members of the Rose noble family, historically founded by Red Rose. Meaning Illiad himself could claim the noble title of Rose. While they weren't as influential as, say, the Sparks (Of which house Twilight pertains as a descendant of Incandescent Spark) they were still less than a thousand steps from the throne, if only just barely.) He shrugged, "I would say that the ponies themselves, outside of those I just mentioned, are a decent enough sort, only misguided because of what they've been taught, and often closed to new ideas, but a good enough sort once they can accept what you tell them."

Swift and Carbon looked at each other and shrugged before Swift spoke up, "Well, neither of us really have any practical knowledge of Equestria, outside of what they teach us in school." Swift seemed to be preparing to give a small lecture on exactly that as Glen rolled her eyes, which Swift returned as he settled back down in his seat. "Basically, it's another nation, dominating most of the northern continent up to where it borders with the griffons and the Crystal Empire. They are very secluded, not entirely friendly to outside nations, especially those that follow different ideologies. They strive for independence, trading only when absolutely necessary, which has been growing scarcer over the years as other nations simply refuse to trade with them. They typically don't get tourists, and very few of them leave their borders." He shrugged, it's a bit detached, but that's what I know, again I don't have any experience to base an opinion off of.

That said Illiad turned to Dax, "Well, I think a good question to be posed to you, given that it's getting late. What is your opinion on changelings?"

• Brohoof 1

He listened as the others spoke, taking stock of their answers as well as their actions.

Wow... it just keeps sounding like everyone really dislikes Equestria; even those who've never seen it feel like it's oppressive and aggressive.  Maybe Illiad was right all along... maybe Celestia IS a selfish, jealous and spiteful princess.  But that would mean... would mean...

Dax tried not to show it, but it was at least a bit obvious to the others (and definitely to the Empathic) that hearing these things hurt.  However, Dax wasn't about to curl up in a ball and cry; he'd already heard his friend's opinion, and had steeled himself for the response.

It just... hurts... to know we've all been led by lies.  Royal lies.  What if... w-what if Luna feels the same way, but the Trojans don't see it?  What if the Mane Six are nothing but puppet heroes?  What if all the talk of Harmony and Friendship was nothing more than... pointless propaganda?

He swallowed hard, fighting the lump in his throat.

... what if there's nothing good to hope for from my homeland?

For what it was worth, he didn't take personal offense... but it's never easy to hear that the one you thought was a hero was nothing more than a paper tiger.

"Well, I... I see.  Okay, well... yeah.  I... kinda figured as much.  It's okay."

The changeling question.  He decided to focus on that, and not even acknowledge the strife going on inside him.

"Changelings?  Well, even though some attacked Canterlot,"  ... it even hurts to mention it... "I still happen to think they can't ALL be bad.  It's impossible - there aren't absolutes, and the gray areas tend to be more the rule than the exception.  So it occurs to me that there must be changelings who aren't aggressive.  When I said so in my letter to Illiad, he confirmed what I thought - and told me he'd be happy to take me to meet some!"

That brought a genuine smile to his muzzle; he was going to meet REAL changelings!

"So, with Illiad's word, I feel really optimistic about the upcoming meeting - I'm eager to see what they're like, and what your changelings have to say about the other ones.  Plus, as much emotion as Illiad said I put off, I'm fairly certain they'll like meeting me, too!  At least, I hope so."

Getting late; did that mean no more questions?  Well, maybe that's for the best right now.  I'd ask about other things, but... maybe I should simply wait until I have questions that pertain more to Troy itself.

Dax grinned.  "For what it's worth, you all seem like great friends - Illiad's so lucky to have you - all of you!"

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

Glen in particular seemed interested in Dax's answer.

(Forgot to add that to the last post, but it wont matter as I spoil the surprise here. False foreshadowing aside.)

Illiad gave his customary slight smile, nodding at Dax's answer before looking towards his friends, "Well there you have it, I clear him as the insider, the double blind went great, and he even befriended a pair of changelings on the train." Wait, a pair?

Illiad looked back at Dax, "I think he's ready now."

The others looked amongst themselves with smiles to their faces while Play stood up. "As exciting as I remember when I got the reveal, I must be off already." In response to the sighs and rolled eyes, "Hey, someone's got to prepare Illiad's next press release." And with that he bid them all farewell and left.

The other three, Glen moving between Swift and Carbon with a smile like she was inside on a joke, stood to be side by side across the table from Dax, they all adopted a sort of predatory grin as Illiad moved to Dax's side, whispering in his ear, "No sudden moves, they may act it but the attack has put them well on edge as of late."

Before Dax could question what Illiad meant, the room was bathed in a golden glow greater than the first rays of the sunrise out the window. 

A golden fire engulfed them, starting at the top of their heads and working downward towards their hooves, revealing little by little the pocked carapace, the pointed teeth, the amber eyes...

When the glow died down Dax was faced with Changelings, the ones on the edges seemingly mirror images of each other, though the one where Swift had been had larger wings, and the one where Carbon had been had a much larger horn. They both had solid amber eyes, their head fringe, wings, and tails matching in color as well. Their carapace, while still black, was several shades lighter than the changelings that had attacked Canterlot.

The changeling in the middl... no wait, there was just Glen smiling there, "Whoops! no changeling deer!" she laughed at her own joke as she moved around the table to ruffle Dax's mane, "Well I'll see you guys later, I've got a date with that equestrian I was talking about, and I'd hate to be late!"

With that she too bounced out of the house, leaving Dax, Illiad, and a pair of changelings, the predatory grin had softened into a bit of an unsure expression as they awaited Dax's reaction to effectively realizing he had spent most of the day with Changelings.

(If Dax didn't look away during the transformation he would likely have noticed that Glen didn't transform as well, but that isn't as funny.)

• Brohoof 1

Dax waved as Play left. 

Illiad has a twin... and that twin is campaigning for him.  Almost makes me think Mr. Consul has a bigger battle on his hooves than he thought he would.

The thought made the Blackwater smile.

When the others started acting weird, Dax wasn't sure what to make of it.  He kept looking back and forth between them, trying to figure out where this was going and what was going to happen.

... they didn't figure out I knew the game, did they?

However, with a bright flash of light, the truth became clear as day.  Swift the mail pony and Carbon the jeweler BOTH turned out to be changelings - right under Dax's muzzle.  Though he'd kind of been expecting some sort of secret reveal at some point, he hadn't the first clue that it had been happening all along.

At first, he simply sat there staring at them both.  Even Glen's tousle had only elicited a slight, disconnected wave from Dax.  But once the reality settled in...

"OH, WOW!"

If Dax had been dynamite, he'd have exploded twice - then every little piece would've shot fireworks into the sky.

"Sweet Luna's Crown, I HAD NO IDEA!  Oh, WOWZERS!  I mean, YOU-" he pointed to 'Swift', "a-and YOU?"  then to 'Carbon'.

"Ohhhh WOW!  I'd say you've gotta be kidding me - BUT YOU'RE NOT KIDDING ME!  They're already here... AND THEY'RE REEEEEEEAL!"

Dax laughed loud and hearty, his mind and heart awash with excitement, surprise, and all-around wonder as he just kept looking at them, with the biggest smile Illiad had seen yet plastered all over his face.  His emotions were running high and mighty; the Blackwater had been working on self-control for his empathic friend, but the current situation completely robbed him of all control, and he was putting out waves of excitement and happiness that would've made the ocean hesitate to come to shore.

"WOW!  I can SEE the differences!  Swift - is your name REALLY Swift?  Oh, it doesn't matter - Swift, I can see that your wings are a focal point for your anatomy, which would possibly mean that you have either pegasus genetics in your history, or since you specialize in pegasi, your wings have grown as a direct result of repeated transformations!  This could mean changelings take on traits after repeating the same changes, which means it's possible there are sub-categories and sub-sub-categories possible!"

"A-a-and Carbon?  Carbon Copy!?  How did I NOT pick up on that before?  That should have been a direct giveaway, but I never even considered the connotations of such a name as that!  And your horn is emphasized too!  Unicorn specializations!  Honest-to-goodness noticeable separations between changelings, which could possibly be used to identify specific members of a hive, which means that entire hives might be able to become identifiable... and that could lead to changelings being accepted!  Familiarity brings security and knowledge of the known would be... uhm... uhhhhh..."

Dax now realized he had been practically babbling at all of them, and his Mother's spectre stared down at him from above - and the stare said he was making a scene.

The Blackwater, who had actually gotten out of his seat to proclaim his amazement, sat back down with forced patience, and did his best to rein in his exuberance... then, he remembered that Illiad had mentioned the way changelings made it easier for him to bear stronger emotions.  Which meant, chances were, he didn't have to control himself at all...

However, he didn't want to appear to be a wild stallion, with no sense of propriety or shame...

Dax gave up one of his patented sheepish grins, and had the sense to blush a bit.  "S-sorry - I'm pretty sure some of that stuff I said was probably wrong, but..."

His eyes sparkled with fascination.  "... but it's HARD to keep your head when you meet the fantastic, and realize you've been around them all day!"

A blink, a sardonic grin, then:  "Was this Illiad's idea?"

@Randimaxis

To say the changelings were blown away by his reaction would be a bit of an understatement.

But also very accurate in the literal sense, as they were in fact blown a bit backward, as was Illiad himself, by the immense wave of Dax's excitement.

Swift and Carbon had found themselves rather bodily thrown back into the couch, and Illiad, though not physically pushed like the changelings, had elected to take a number of steps backward, with Selena forming a shield around him until Dax had managed to calm down a bit. At which point Selena retracted, now glowing brilliantly green like Dax's eyes. Illiad was about to stow her back in his robes before he noticed that the glow was quite clear even beneath the fabric, so he shrugged and pushed her towards the stairs to distance her from his changeling guests.

Carbon looked noticeably ill, while Swift looked only a bit unsettled, eyeing Dax with a bit of a shocked, yet impressed, expression.

Illiad then warped in an odd looking barrel from somewhere, which Carbon looked especially pleased to see as he flung himself towards it, burying his head in whatever was within it.

"Woah," Swift was the first to respond verbally, "THAT, was intense."

There was another brief pause before Carbon threw his head back out of the barrel gasping for breath, his face now covered with a glowing amber gel-like substance. "Woooooo...." He looked over at Dax with the cheesiest grin he had ever seen. "That was a rush."

Illiad warped in another barrel for Swift, who connected to it with a beam of amber light from his horn as his body visibly relaxed. Both barrels were now also illuminating the room with a slight amber light.

"So," Illiad looked over at Dax. "I'd say he took it very well wouldn't you?"

Swift nodded, "I'd say, now wonder Oracle took such a shine to him. He shines brighter than You, when he wants to." He sighed as he took a more comfortable position on the couch he had been thrown onto. "Don't feel bad about that by the way, there's no way you could have known what your emotions were capable of." Carbon seemed to be preoccupied cleaning the goo off his face. "Well, to answer some of your questions, and clarify some of your statements, My name is Oh-dis O-D-Y-S, and he" pointing at Carbon "'s Eddy, O-E-D-Y." Odys smiled at Dax, "Yeah, just about all of us have a four letter name for... reasons. Makes us get creative on how to say it, and keeps us all unique."

Illiad decided to add in, "You were really close on the relation of appendages to what they do, but in reverse."

Odys, "Changelings are typically hatched with what we call, predispositions. Both physical, which is the same in an egg group, and mental, which varies. As you noticed I have larger wings, and a masculine build, thus I predisposed male pegasus, though I can still effectively pose as any equine race." As if to emphasize a roll of fire passed over him, leaving in his place a VERY attractive looking unicorn mare.

(There is so much more to say, but I'll let Dax react here, and ask more specific questions about what just happened.)

Dax jumped up, concern pouring from him like a fire hydrant.

"Oh!  OH MY GOSH!  Are you okay?"

His eyes darted back and forth between them all, seeing what he'd done.  He knew he was highly emotional... but he didn't expect THAT!

"I'm sorry!  I'm so, so sorry, I..."

Suddenly - abruptly - Dax gave a laugh.  "Wow - I didn't know it was anything like THAT!"

Though his concerns ran high, he visibly (and emotionally) calmed down when Swift... er, Odys... said not to worry; if he had thought he'd really done them harm, he might have reacted badly.  But seeing them smile and reassure him went a long way towards helping him understand he hadn't done any real damage.

Still... I have GOT to practice the 'river' thing Illiad told me about at the tent; if I did that to just TWO of them... I'd hate to see what would happen to an entire hive!

He took a deep breath, calming himself enough to keep from being high-strung... but his excitement was still there, gradually going from a blast to... well, to a flow.  He allowed himself to BE exuberant, yet made sure he didn't fly off the rails again.  Though there were still eddies and ripples under the surface, it was obvious that Dax was taking Illiad's advice to heart, and he seemed to be getting the hang of it.

He listened to the explanation... but when Sw-ODYS changed into the lovely mare, Dax gave a blush, and his emotions told them all that he most certainly noticed the change.

"Whoa... uhm, I mean... w-w-well, what HAPPENED?  Why did you go flying from... from just little old ME?  I mean... are emotions really THAT powerful?  Are MY emotions really that big?"

Dax was a bit worried, but was also directly curious as to the explanation of how he could have caused such a thing; he'd always just thought of himself as an earth pony - and, to him, this was as close to magic as he'd ever thought he would have.

@Randimaxis

Odys changed back to his pegasus self in another roll of golden fire as he settled back onto the couch.

Illiad walked back over to Dax's side, "You remember how the invasion of Canterlot was repelled? A large burst of emotion that physically repelled them."

Odys chimed back in, "Depending on a changeling's attunement, certain emotions are more powerful to them. The changelings that attacked Canterlot were attuned to Love, thus it affected them as strongly as it did." He gestured to himself and Oedy, who still had a goofy grin to his face as he slowly continued to clean the glowing amber gel from his face, "Our hive is attuned more towards appreciation and satisfaction, emotions which the both of us work to cultivate in the world so we can feed off of it. As excitement and appreciation are closely related... Though really if I had known you were capable of such outbursts I'd have had a few more of us waiting outside to collect it, the more of us there are the better we are able to collect it." He shrugged, "Though I wouldn't be surprised if all the changelings in this side of town felt that."

Illiad smiled and nodded, "Now, do you have any questions for them?"

( I didn't mention it in the last post, but Carbon is cleaning off the gel by eating it. Pretty major detail there that I completely forgot to put in. )

Edited by Illiad Easle
Forgotten detail
  • Brohoof 1

E-every changeling... in... town?????

Dax blinked, the wonder in his eyes asking millions of questions; then, with a grin, he knew what to say.

"I do."

"First, I wanted to know if you'd tell me how Illiad found out about you - specifically, the two of you.  Secondly, I'd like to ask about what that gooey stuff is on Carb-... Oedy's face - the stuff that made you better?  Then, if it's okay, I'd like to know how Ms. Glen found out, because I'm sure THAT'S a fun story."  

He grinned; Glen's upbeat attitude and snarky savvy reminded him of his brother Harcourt, so naturally he found her more likely to have discovered them on her own. 

"And any other questions I have, I think I'd like to ask after I decide how to... if that's okay?"

That, combined with the flow of his emotions that were free from restraint or overabundance, had bolstered his courage enough for Odys' words to sink in and take root.  He might have stayed quiet and nervous, had Dax met them two weeks ago; this was a side of the young Blackwater that he'd never really explored before, due to his proximity to his parents or the pestering of his younger brother.  It was the realization that he'd been needing for years, but with Illiad's help and advice through the past week (not to mention what Dax would start to call 'The River Technique' in his own mind), he only needed enough confidence to ask how to help again.

The punishment from Luther had severely stunted this aspect of him, but through his time with Illiad - as well as a certain star he knew - Dax had now begun to realize he'd been afraid of TRULY helping others.  Illiad had hit the nail on the head when he said that he didn't have to be afraid of making friends - and what did friends do for each other?

"But I was also wondering, since Illiad said the whole hive might want to meet me... would it be possible that... uhm..."

Don't lose it now, Stripes, echoed the eldest Blackwater sibling's words in his mind.

"... m-maybe you could prepare ahead of time for that visit, and I could let you... uh, collect... it from me?  If that's okay with you," he looked to Swift, "and you," to Oedy, "and you too, my friend," to the Empathic, "and, of course, everyone else?"

He gave his trademark sheepish grin... but somewhere inside him, he knew this was a first step down the path of self-healing.  

And I can't think of a more appropriate place to start changing than among changelings.

"Anything else you'd like to ask me... or is it too early - or too late?  I'm... not quite used to the nocturnal thing yet."

@Randimaxis

Odys seemed to really like explaining things, though that was no real surprise after the whole guided tour he had taken Dax on earlier. He smiled warmly as he continued, "To answer them a bit out of order..." he paused, a bit of a serious look coming to his face. "Illiad... did not find out under the best of circumstances."

"It was around the Canterlot invasion, I had noticed empathicly that a few of my friends gave off no emotional energy while sucking in the surrounding emotions like little black holes." He shrugged, "I thought it just a quirk of theirs, nothing too special." His face became serious as well. "Then the attack came, I was in Canterlot at the time, this was after I got my diamond and Princess Luna had asked me to be there against the threat they had gotten on the royal wedding. I had been looking for a missing VIP when it happened. Changelings swarming down all around, each and every one of them a black hole of emotion."

Odys looked a bit down as he spoke, "When Illiad came back, I knew something had happened, that he knew the truth. But he had an open mind like yours. He asked us to stay away for a bit until he could come to terms with it, then he asked us directly what we knew about it, turning to learn even more about us and coming to meet our queen after a week of having found us out."

He nodded, confirming to himself that he had said everything he needed to, "Glen on the other hoof..." he laughed, "Now was she surprised."

"I had been given permission by the local queen to seek out others with an open mind like mine, to see if the general populous would be accepting to their presence in a more open manner, and Glen had turned up positive."

"We did a reveal to her pretty much exactly how I did it to you. In fact she's only known for a few months now, almost a year actually."

"Odys had quite a bit of explaining to do, and tons of questions to answer to prove he was the same Swift she had known for the last, what, 15 years?"

Odys nodded, "Just about that long now. I remember when she was just a little fawn, a thestral had adopted her back in Cervidas and carried her over here to take care of her."

Odys idly scooped up a bit of the gel Dax had asked about, and was about to try it when he remembered Dax's question. "This gel is the main source of food we changelings eat in the hive. it's mostly water, but it gets charged with emotional energy so that we can digest it as, contrary to popular belief, we don't just eat emotions right out of the air. And, after all, we still have a physical body to support outside of just energy intake."

He held out a small portion of the gel to Dax, "Here, try some! It's perfectly safe."

(Feel free to put in his reaction to it, texture is like jelly, flavor should be light, I'll let you decide what excitement tastes like to Dax, but the flavor should be very subtle yet recognizable.)

In response to the question about visiting the hive, Odys just gave a knowing smile, "Believe me, preparations are already well underway for your visit in two days. You wont have to worry about a thing in regards to collection, if we couldn't handle that in our own hive what sort of emotivores would we really be? As to questions for you, I just have one. What do you really think about Oracle?" The smile on his face said he already had an idea as to the answer.

On 11/30/2018 at 2:28 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"Here, try some! It's perfectly safe."

Dax reached out gingerly with a hoof and took some of the strange jelly into it.  Giving it a wary once-over and a sniff, he stuck out his tongue and touched the tip to the blob on his hoof, taking it i and giving it a taste.

... wow, that's... it tastes like...

"... Zap Apple Jam - or at least, close enough!  Wow, that... th-that's kinda nifty."

Did this stuff come from ME?  Is this, like... I'm eating my own emotions?  That's... a little disconcerting, but also more interesting than I thought.

He grinned back at the three gathered there; they had surprised him thoroughly, and it wasn't at all an unpleasant surprise.

On 11/30/2018 at 2:28 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"As to questions for you, I just have one: What do you really think about Oracle?"

Oracle...

Though his voice wouldn't respond at first, the blush that crept up on his muzzle spoke volumes.

I never thought that... a mare would want to kiss me... especially the way she did.  Her lips were so soft... and they tasted slightly sweet, like the lingering touch of honey... and her eyes, lovely to gaze into... her smile was incredible, and she was so very kind... and lovely... 

I was stupefied at how she kissed me... and it was my FIRST kiss, too... there's a longing inside me now, one I've never experienced before, that calls to my heart and bids it to find her again, to learn about her, to get to know her, to feel the touch of her kiss once more.  I want to share everything with her - my home, my family, my entire existence... I want to spend years in her embrace, the two of us living on nothing else but the sweet rush of love, our lives full and complete with happiness for the rest of our days together...

What he actually said was, "She's.... uhm... nice.  Really n-nice.  I only met her the one time... but..."

... I want to know her forever...

"... it was really... uhm, nice."

The blush on him redoubled, and the others there could almost see the red beneath his black coat.

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

The changelings and his friend, though honestly they were all his friends at this point, looked between themselves with knowing smiles. Illiad chuckled as he nudged Dax playfully, "Come on, we all felt how you really feel, didn't we."

Swift snorted with a smug grin, "Yep, looks like he considers dear Oracle more than 'nice'."

Carbon seemed to have finally recovered at that point, and donned his typical disguise again. "It's clear to me that he's quite infatuated with her. More than I've witnessed in anyone else so far."

Seemingly to save him from continued embarrassment, Illiad remarked on the time, "Well, it is getting pretty early, I think it's time Dax and I went to bed. We've got to be up a bit early to get out to Alphyns in the evening to meet up with TrUST."

Swift seemed impressed by that, but didn't comment on it as he got up, "Well Dax, It's been a pleasure to officially meet you." Carbon followed suit, and soon they were both out the door and into the slowly brightening sunrise.

Illiad turned back to Dax, "So, did you sleep comfortably enough on the couch? Or would you like to switch it up this time?"

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Illiad Easle said:

"Come on, we all felt how you really feel, didn't we."

"Yep, looks like he considers dear Oracle more than 'nice'."

"It's clear to me that he's quite infatuated with her. More than I've witnessed in anyone else so far."

Oh, Sweet Luna's Crown, they can all FEEL it in me!

Dax simply gave another of his trademark sheepish grins... but inside, he was secretly thrilled that he actually had friends - multiple friends - to razz him about it, even as softly as they were doing.  He didn't try to hide or deny it; he simply gave a bashful chuckle and tried (and failed) not to blush harder.

"Well Dax, It's been a pleasure to officially meet you."

"A-and it's been wonderful to meet all of you, too!  I have to admit, I'm kinda jealous of Illiad, that he could have so may wonderful friends... heck, my family has plenty of money, but Illiad is the richest unicorn I know.  I hope I get to see you again before the week's out - I really enjoyed meeting you.  ALL of you."

With a kind smile and a wave, Dax watched them go.

Wow... when I came to Troy, I had lots of bits, but only one friend... now, I have almost nothing, but I've grown richer by far.

"So, did you sleep comfortably enough on the couch? Or would you like to switch it up this time?"

"Actually..." he smiled a bit.

"Actually, I wanted to watch the sunrise.  Out front, if that's okay.  Once that's done, I promise that I'll get some shuteye - and the couch is actually fine by me.  I've spent enough time sleeping in my tent to appreciate having a couch to sleep on in the first place, so don't worry.  I will wish you a good ni-... uhm, I mean, day... and I can HARDLY WAIT to see the Alphyns Observatory!  Oh, the stars I'll see!  It's more than a dream come true... it feels like..."

... a miracle...

"... like I have the best friend in all of Equus.  Thanks SO much for this opportunity, Illiad - I'm glad YOU were the one who wrote to me."

@Randimaxis

Illiad looked touched by Dax's words before the smile grew larger on his face, "Actually, I know a better place to see it than out front, follow me."

Illiad turned to lead Dax up the stairs to his room, which wasn't very organized like it had been in the dream form, random items were strewn about on shelves and floor space, though there were still clear paths throughout. He led Dax out to the balcony that sat above his porch, there wasn't much of a view here, Dax could see by the shadows that the sud was rising almost directly behind them.

Illiad turned to Dax with a slight grin, "Alright, we're going to teleport, be ready."

He gave Dax a few seconds to prepare himself before gripping him with a forehoof, a flash of light later and they were both atop the roof of Illiad's house with a clear view of the sun just starting to come over the eastern wall of Deltrot.

The top of Illiad's house was not entirely barren however, it contained a large black barrel, large enough for a couple grown stallions to fit inside comfortably, as well as a strange box with a number of evenly spaced slits horizontally along each side.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

"Actually, I know a better place to see it than out front, follow me."

Awwww... I wanted to make a sandcastle... oh, well.

Dax looked around once they reached the landing.  The view might not have been much, but to Dax, it was still something new.  He was about to say exactly that, when Illiad spoke up.

2 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

"Alright, we're going to teleport, be ready."

Dax nodded, grinned, and steeled himself for the spell, shutting his eyes.  I'll make it a surprise for myself, he thought.

When he did open them, he was struck by how... different... it was from here.

He'd spent most of his lifetime in the mountains, and had certainly had time to see a sunrise - a few of them, in fact - but there was something about watching it from here that made it... different.  Special.  Was it because he was watching it from another country?  From a lower angle than he was used to?  Were the sand dunes more conductive of the light than the sides of the Crystal Mountains?

No... none of that stuff; I'm watching it with a friend - THAT'S the difference.

His smile slowly came on, like the sun itself, until he was beaming almost as brightly.  

After a moment, his eyes slid sideways, scanning over the barrel and the weird-looking box.  He casually pointed a hoof in their direction and turned to face the Trojan.

"Uhm... what're those for?  Is that a rain barrel?  And what's that box-thing?"

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

Illiad looked over in a bit of surprise, "Those things?" he chuckled, "I forgot they're not so common in the mountains."

He moved over to the barrel first, "You have the right idea here, though it doesn't collect rainwater so much as it doesn't really rain outside of the oasis. no point in dropping water were it isn't going to do much good. So they pump the water from the oasis into these barrels up on the roofs of the houses every so often so that everyone gets their share of the water, as well as individual water pressure in the house." (It's very common in Mexico, at least where I was.)

He then moved to the box. "This is a sort of swamp cooler, or so they tell me it's called. A small pump wets a bunch of thatch which lines the walls, then a fan pulls air through the thatch and into the house. It cools off a few degrees when it gets really hot, but it's not all that effective at the peak of summer." He chuckled, "My first few days in Troy were awful because of that. You know how hard it is to sleep when it's HOT?"

He sighed as he looked back to the sunrise, "I got this box installed because of it, it isn't too common around here, but there's a few who use it."

He sat down on the roof and yawned, "Just let me know when you're ready to get down."

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

"This is a sort of swamp cooler, or so they tell me it's called. A small pump wets a bunch of thatch which lines the walls, then a fan pulls air through the thatch and into the house. It cools off a few degrees when it gets really hot, but it's not all that effective at the peak of summer."

"Kinda like how part of the Blackwater Manor is partially in the mountain; it's something to keep it cooler inside, except this requires water, right?"

Hunh... kinda neat.

"That's kinda neat," he said with a grin, "I was sorta wondering how folks here kept cool during the day."

"My first few days in Troy were awful because of that. You know how hard it is to sleep when it's HOT?"

"Well, it can get hot in the mountains during the summer - but I'm fairly certain you've got it a lot worse here than I do.  Still, it's pretty cool... heh, literally!"

"Just let me know when you're ready to get down."

Nodding, Dax turned and let his view sweep across the horizon.  He also sat and leaned forward, head propped on his forehooves as he simply admired the view.

"Y'know Illiad?  I know you said I'd get tired of sand pretty quickly... but really, I've never seen this much of it at once; it's like actually seeing how many stars are in the sky - not just looking up, but really seeing them.  The amount of sand out there... it's incredible.  Maybe given enough time, I'd just take it for granted too... but until then, I have to say that the sight of all that sand is just as fascinating to me as seeing the market, or the radio tower, or just about anything else here in Troy."

He gave a slight chuckle.  "I wanna build you a sandcastle before I leave - it may not last forever, but while it's here, it can remind this land that I was here.  And you too, Illiad."

... because, with so many nifty things, and varied races, and amazing advancements... I'm afraid I'll just be another pony passing through; YOU changed the quarry forever...

He gave a sigh, but kept his mood to himself; he had no want to worry Illiad - he wasn't depressed... simply a touch of melancholy.

... me?  The sand won't even remember my hoofsteps.

He continued to gaze out at the sunlight racing along the dunes and houses.

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

Dax probably wouldn't realize it, but this time was Illiad's turn to have fallen asleep. By the time Dax would turn back to his friend, he would be laying flat on the roof, blissfully unaware of the world around him.

Dax would need to wake him up if he wanted off of the roof, and even if he could make it back down without Illiad's help, he wouldn't want to leave his friend out here to bake.

(Assuming he wakes Illiad up gently)

Illiad stirred to wakefulness, seemingly a bit surprised to find himself on the roof before he remembered why he was up there. "Oh," he was still clearly quite tired, "let's get down then."

In a flash they were back in Illiad's bedroom, himself on the bed with Dax on the floor next to it. No sooner was the teleport complete than Illiad was back to being peacefully asleep.

(Dream sequence #2)

"... I can mark your outer shell whenever I wish... but to mark your conscience with a death? THAT will leave scars that EVERY ONE will notice - scars of your WEAKNESS, your FAILURE... and the life, the single life, that causes this scar will be one you don't even like - the irony is more than I could ever have hoped to plan."

What? The quarry... Havoc... This feels all too familiar.

The Jinx-Thing wrapped the end of its tail around Redd Handid, holding him like a constrictor-type snake about to feed, as he sunk down towards the ground. As he did, Redd was brought to follow suit - he looked exhausted, yet each almost-yawn was stifled by a slap across the mug with that wickedly nasty tail. Redd was simply lolling in the grip of a mad creature.

However, Illiad was powerful enough to sense that Taps was in position on a high-wall, just opposite of the Jinx-Thing... and she had a number of magical items on her - including one buried inside her very heart, it seemed; the bright pulse from inside her was easy to see for the ultra-powered Empathic Trojan unicorn.

That must be what has been keeping her alive all this time. How did I not notice it before?

And she had a spell prepared that would turn that horrific thing back into a bauble... if Illiad could keep its' attention.

"You truly believe I have ANY other goal than causing as much damage as possible? Even my own freedom is forfeit, should it mean my work will cause utter chaos!"

The Jinx-Thing lowered its' voice until the bass rumble from it shook the ground and vibrated even within Illiad's chest.

"For I am HAVOC; and I now loosen the dogs of Tartarus!"

... and with that, he twisted his tail to the left quickly, and an audible > SNAP < filled the gap between the two combatants.

Havoc smiled at Illiad.

Illiad could still feel, thus it was only auditory. An illusion meant to distract him, to put him off kilter and attack haphazardly. It wouldn't work on...

But there was no emotion.

Not a whiff of anything, fear, despair... just dead air...

Like the pony in Havoc's grasp.

It struck Illiad like a physical blow. Redd Handid was dead.

Illiad drifted downward as the shock of what had happened took him, the anger and rage of the others, those who had not loved Redd in life, now sought revenge for his death.

No, not revenge... something more.

The ripple of shock, sadness and hate at the idea of Redd having been killed began to settle in on the other workers... and their hate began to grow into a presence that almost felt like some sort of slimy, black presence in the Empathic's mind. Illiad could feel that ball of hatred, almost sentient in its' raw power, filling his mind with the idea of vicious, cruel murder upon the gemstone draconeq-

"NO!"

The voice of Dax Blackwater rung out from below and behind the Trojan, and the enthusiasm began to shine like a small sun.

"It's a TRICK! Redd's ALIVE! Don't let that thing fool you!"

But as Dax turned to look at Illiad, all his hope and enthusiasm faltered, fear and despair entering his heart as he realized the truth for himself, the previous sun of energy darkening until it too began to add to the writhing mass within himself.

He began to agree, the dark power swirling around him, he wanted that draconequis dead. No, death would be too good, to live suffering in every moment the pain it had caused others. He felt the power growing within himself to cause exactly that, make it feel all the pain it had caused, make it suffer for every one of its misdeeds, leave it trapped to suffer forever!

He was about to do it too, strike it with all the dark power at his command.

But he faltered, hesitated.

Havoc was gone, replaced by the same dark entity that accosted him in the caves. "FOOL!"

"WE BOTH KNOW HOW THIS ENDS!"

The scene shifted forward in time to the moment when Taps finally finished the job that Illiad couldn't

"ILLIAD! YOU DID IT!"

Dax came running towards his friend, his heart singing with happiness and relief. The rest of the Blackwaters were right behind him, all coming his way...

Taps moved up next to the Trojan, and out of the corner of her mouth, she whispered, "Keep your eyes on the ground, Easle... trust me on this one."

All this happening around him, yet whatever Havoc had done to him, he felt... wounded.

The attack on his abilities, had it succeeded, would have killed him instantly. As it was there was still a good chance of VERY bad things happening if he didn't fix it fast. Especially with all the others coming at him with their charged emotions.

He had to bug out of there fast.

His breathing grew ragged as his horn sputtered from the pinch on his abilities. Already the restricted magical pathway was being overloaded, He looked around, trying to find a place far enough away to keep the quarry safe if and when he blew, he spotted the vault, where he had removed the magical protections, if he put them back up with him inside... It just might contain what he was about to do.

With a bright flash he teleported away, his pained and fearful expression the last those nearby saw before he...

But he didn't manage to complete the teleport spell. Some dark force behind him held him back as the rush of emotions began to crash over him.

"You are weak without me."

Illiad could feel the energy welling up inside him, but it wasn't emotion. It was darkness, his own despair.

"Yet you can never escape me."

Illiad fought hard to keep it all contained within him, but the darkness kept growing.

"I'll kill you, and everyone you care about, if you try to keep me in."

Time seemed to freeze for a moment as Illiad reached the breaking point.

"Is this what you want?"

A brilliant explosion issued from Illiad's horn, blasting all those around him with the combined and condensed emotional and dark energy he had tried to contain.

He struggled to rise, but even from the ground he could see the effects, all of them were dead, frozen in a catatonic state of fear and despair.

"Enough."

The image faded from his vision, and with Selena's help from his memories.

Illiad lay on the ground between two forms, to one side the glowing form of Selena, on the other a pony's shadow.

"You're hurting him."

"He's resisting, won't accept me."

"He just needs more time."

"We both know he doesn't have more time. If he doesn't learn..."

(Dream sequence over.)

(Dax would have been awoken in the middle of the day by an intense feeling of fear and despair, combined with flashbacks of the Havoc incident, especially Illiad's suffering.)

• Brohoof 1

On 12/11/2018 at 12:23 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"Oh," he was still clearly quite tired, "let's get down then."

Dax again was caught by surprise at the teleportation spell, but adjusted well enough as Illiad climbed into the bed and went right back to sleep.

For a time, he simply looked about the room, taking in the few things that were there while his mind wandered.

I'm a long, long way from home... and more or less on my own here.  Illiad's a great host, and meeting his friends was wonderful; even Midget was so nice, I had no idea what to say to really show my true appreciation.  Heck, there could never be a way I could ever show them all how much this means to me... how deep inside I feel so grateful, so pleased to know that I'm accepted among others.

He gave a soft sigh.  Not wanting to wake his friend, Dax slowly and carefully stepped until he was out of the room, then made his way downstairs.

So why can't I just feel happy?

He went over to the couch and sat, leaning back a bit and settling against it as he continued his inner questioning.

There's so much here - a LOT more than at the quarry - and I guess I just feel... insignificant?  Is that it?  

He sighed, but his muzzle wasn't frowning; he was mulling things over, not letting it weigh him down... which was his usual stance.  He found it refreshing, simply wandering in his own mind's personal desert instead of the mire of sorrow he knew so well.

Well... maybe.  I mean, when anyone enters the quarry grounds, the whole place knows about it before sunset; here, I don't think anypo-... anyONE will really even notice me.  Is it really so big here that a single pony can get lost in the shuffle?  Is it so busy and bustling here that there'll be nothing to show for my time spent in this wondrous place?

He shook his head.

No.  I can't let that get to me.  

I've seen so much during my time here, it's just overwhelming me, is all - in the short time I've been here, I've seen more than I have during my lifetime in a gem quarry... does that really surprise me?  THIS is the real world, after all; everything and everyone so busy and bustling, and each one trying to make things happen.  So much activity, so many things to get done, so much work to make it all possible... it's like the ant farm Oglevy had - well, until he poured its' contents into his tutor's bed, that is - and there's so much going on, I guess I'd really have to strive to stand out, hunh?

But... 

Again, he tried to banish the coming thoughts with a headshake... but these were stuck fast, and he decided the best way to be rid of them was to think them anyway.

But I don't think I can.  I mean, here I am, a simple Earth Pony, and in the short time I've been in Troy, I managed to lose almost every bit I had... I really showed how pathetic I can be to the Consul... I almost had the few gems in my possession stolen from me... and I think I may have honestly embarrassed myself in front of Ms. Goldenrod...

Then, a small smile peeked out, like a ray of sunshine from behind the clouds.

... but I DID make new friends... and I've seen things that would make the others back home gape with awe and wonder... heck, I even saved a changeling from a life of slavery... and...

His smile grew wide and dreamy now.

... and someone actually kissed me.  Wow.

The two emotions he was feeling mixed with each other - and, of the two, satisfaction won out.

Maybe I don't need to make an impression here.  After all, I'm just visiting a wholly different nation; Illiad only had to wow a quarry, which isn't nearly as big as it looks from the inside.  Me, making an impression on an entire NATION?

He chuckled, and spoke aloud to himself.  "The Blackwater Quarry needed Illiad Easle... Troy doesn't need me.  A-and... and that's okay."

He still wasn't completely convinced, but it was better than stewing in his own brain about things he couldn't change - and now, he was beginning to realize it for himself.

So I'm not important like Illiad - but I'm important to my family.  So I'm not powerful like him - I have enough strength to get by with.  So I'm not a big deal at all here - probably for the best, seeing as how Troy seems so very wrapped up in its' own problems.

He began to lie down, giving a grand yawn and a stretch before he nuzzled against the back of the couch.

Who am I to want to be special here?  After all, this place is special enough.

That thought framed his mind as he drifted into sleep.

On 12/11/2018 at 12:23 PM, Illiad Easle said:

(Dax would have been awoken in the middle of the day by an intense feeling of fear and despair, combined with flashbacks of the Havoc incident, especially Illiad's suffering.)

The stallion's eyes popped open, and in his bid to come to his hooves, he rolled off the couch and hit the floor with a dull thud and a yelp of surprise.

Illiad!

Dax made his way up the stairs and reached Illiad's room... but he was hesitant before simply going in - he had no idea if it would be welcome or not.  The Ons had told him that the Trojan hadn't approved of others entering his room at the manor without forewarning - but this might have been an emergency.

Dax decided discretion was the better part of valor, and spoke from the doorway.  "Illiad?  Are you okay, Illiad?  What's wrong?"

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

There was a bit of shuffling behind the door, and Dax could hear heavy breathing on the other side, though it seemed to calm a slight bit at the sound of Dax's voice. "I... I'm fine... Did I wake you?"

The shuffling grew closer before the door cracked open for Illiad to look out, it was surprisingly dark inside his room, while the rest of the house had at least a faint glow to it from the sunlight above them, no light seemed to be getting in to Illiad's room at the moment.

And Illiad himself was clearly having a rough night.

"I'm... sorry I worried you," he gave a slight, yet tired smile. "But I guess we really both need some sleep if we're going to properly enjoy tomorrow right?"

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Illiad Easle said:

"But I guess we really both need some sleep if we're going to properly enjoy tomorrow right?"

Sleep..?  The way you look, you don't even seem to want to close your eyes!

Dax gingerly stepped to the doorway and looked at Illiad for a moment; it shook him to see such a powerful figure in such a state.

"Illiad... I'm not worried about sleep - I'm worried about YOU."

With a deep sigh, he took a few tenative steps into the room and fixed a caring and concerned look on his muzzle.

"It's... i-it's about something bothering you, isn't it?  Something like that couldn't be just a passing nightmare; I could feel your fear from downstairs, y'know.  Maybe you didn't mean to let it out, but..."

He now strode forward, placing a comforting hoof on Illiad's shoulder.

"... but you did.  And as a friend, I want you to tell me what's eating at you inside.  I don't know if I can even help, but... but I wouldn't be a good friend if I didn't want you to feel alright.  Please... talk to me.  Tell me what's going on inside - it's okay, really."

Dax ventured a small grin.  "I'm here for you."

• Brohoof 1