Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private A Cultural Exchange 1x1 with Randimaxis

Illiad Easle

@Randimaxis

Illiad looked pleasantly surprised by Dax's comment on the griffon, "Well, that's exactly who I was thinking about, given I felt him more than once peaking in through the door to see if we were done. I suspect he only gave us space because Princess Luna was here, and now that she's gone I suppose we should get moving."

Illiad would lead Dax back out the doors they had entered through, and sure enough the griffon was waiting somewhat impatiently outside with quite the stack of papers in his grasp. "Well if you are quite done now?" Despite being phrased as a question it was very much a statement as he pushed past them into the telescope room. "Lights!" he would call out and the lights would darken inside as the door closed behind him.

Illiad seemed nonplussed by the encounter, but shrugged. "He's quite stressed for someone so young, I'd peg him at just older than Oglevy maybe? Certainly carries himself like an adult."

If Dax didn't object he'd lead him back outside, the Moon stood high in the sky and the horizon showed the faintest hints of the sun coming up. The receptionist would bid them farewell as they passed her.

Illiad would board the platform that had carried them over and start it going back to Alphyns once Dax was aboard. "So... It sounded, and felt, like you had quite the experience with Luna back there, want to talk about it?"

5 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

"Well if you are quite done now?  Lights!"

"Yes, I just wanted... to... um... say... h-hi."

Dax simply stood there for a moment, then he sighed.  "I sometimes tend to think that everyone will react nicely, but then I get reminders.  He seemed... smart.  Then again, everyone has their own schedule, so I guess he's in a hurry.  A number of folks are, in Troy.  It's okay, though."

He looked to Illiad and shrugged.  Not everyone will be interested in making friends, he reminded himself.  However, he let the moment go and simply followed Illiad out.  He even gave a polite little wave to the receptionist as they passed.

"So... It sounded, and felt, like you had quite the experience with Luna back there, want to talk about it?"

Dax looked down a moment, woolgathering as he thought about how to answer that question without hurting himself.

"I've had a... well, a crush on her since I was a colt; Father had a number of books on Nightmare Moon, and I read through them all.  She looked so lonely, like I am, and it made me sad to think that even her sister didn't seem to want her.  So, I said to myself that I would be the nicest, kindest and lovey-est stallion for her that I could be.  She seemed to deserve that, especially after her return."

"I got... caught up in the fantasy of it, I guess; I was always the one who charged in to save her, who nursed her back to health when she was sick, or who danced with her at the gala when no one else would.  I saw her as someone who needed to be helped, someone who was hurting that I could cure.  I came to think of myself as someone who would be perfect for her, and I'd do everything in my power to make sure she was as happy as I could help her be."

Dax sighed.  "But, when I finally, really saw her... I saw how dumb my fantasies were."

"She doesn't need me; she's a fine mare in her own right, and she holds her pain very, very well.  She's not some wounded flower that only I can make right again... she's already doing that for herself.  I guess... I guess, when I really looked back at all those fantasies... I realized that I wasn't just wrong - I was a dummy to think that I was capable of providing anything she needed, or even wanted.  I realized, right then, that my fantasies were just that: fantasy."

He looked out of the window, trying to put on a brave face.  "When you form an idea about something or somebody, it can hurt a lot when your thoughts are proven wrong.  In my case, it was the truth I had been avoiding; that I had no right to believe I was what she needed.  She has herself, her friends and even her sister - and with that sort of roster, how in the wide, wide world of Equestria could I have thought I would have anything to offer her?"

"But... it's a good thing it happened," he gave a pained smile, "because it most certainly brought me out of my own head about her, and even though it hurts a good bit, it's still better to know the truth than to keep believing a lie, even a well-intentioned one.  Now, I can put the huge pedestal aside, and see her for who she truly is... instead of seeing her as a damsel in distress."

Dax took a deep breath and shook his head with a rueful smile.  "That probably sounds really foalish of me, thinking the way I was.  I guess I just never had much experience that made me face reality like an adult before.  I've mostly been either pampered or ignored... because of you, I'm finally learning what being an adult is like, and it's hard... but I'm glad it's finally happening.  Thanks, Illiad.  I really mean that; thank you for arranging that meeting, as I'm sure you did."

Now, the grin that came was all genuine.  "Life can hurt me, but I'm not giving up that easily; if I can overcome being a 'Pink-Slip', I can get through this too."

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

Illiad listened attentively, a look of mild surprise on his face as they traveled to the tune of Dax's words.

One Dax was done he gave him a smile, "You've definitely done quite a bit of growing up this past week, I'm both surprised and glad to have been a part of that." He looked up at the moon as he continued, "When I first met Luna, in the Canterlot Archives, the hurt was a bit more fresh. She sought the diamond because she thought it would make things the way they were again. When I brought it to her she realized just how far she had come, how much better she was now for having suffered. Sometimes it takes a reminder of your past to see just how far the future has brought you, and it seems like meeting Luna here has helped you see how you've changed."

The lights of the approaching city began to glow brighter than the faint light of the soon to rise sun, soon enough the walls came into view. "If my sense of time is right, we've got two options. We can either hurry back to the train and spend some time in Deltrot before we need to sleep, or we can get the next train to Deltrot and spend some time looking around Alphyns. I haven't had the chance to see much around here but I think we could find something interesting either way."

• Brohoof 1

9 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

"You've definitely done quite a bit of growing up this past week, I'm both surprised and glad to have been a part of that."

Dax blushed.  "I... guess so, haven't I?"  Imagine that; me, with some self-esteem.  He grinned to himself, though the ripple of warmth was hard to miss for the empathic.

I think I like it.

9 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

"If my sense of time is right, we've got two options. We can either hurry back to the train and spend some time in Deltrot before we need to sleep, or we can get the next train to Deltrot and spend some time looking around Alphyns. I haven't had the chance to see much around here but I think we could find something interesting either way."

"You haven't seen much around here?  Well," he smiled, "then that's something we can share, right?  Exploring together, and making it a memory to recall... I say we stay!"

What's the worst that could happen?

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

Illiad nodded, a slight smile on his face. "Hmm, Oh!" He looked over at Dax, "I noticed you were disappointed when we left TrUST, I could probably get us a proper tour if you want?"

It wouldn't take long for the mobile platform to make it back through the small gateway into the city, coming to a rest alongside the others in front of the office, Mounty was out front, or a minotaur who looked like he did as a minotaur, but judgeing by Illiad's reaction it was the same minotaur/changeling from before. Illiad hopped off the platform once it lowered, passing the control back over to Mounty once he was close enough. "As smooth a ride as ever. Thanks again!"

Mounty simply nodded as he tucked the control away, then turned to Dax with an intrigued smile. "What did you think? I take it you've never ridden on one of those before?"

On 12/15/2019 at 8:13 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"What did you think? I take it you've never ridden on one of those before?"

"No, I haven't - and it was actually pretty cool," Dax grinned.  "There's a LOT of stuff here I haven't ever experienced before, so I'm trying to pay attention to everything I do... not that it's easy!"  

He looked at the mobile platform.  "Um, if it's okay to ask, how long has Troy been using these?  I mean, it'd give me an idea of how far Trojan technology has come, and I do love history!"

Honestly, he was still reeling a bit from having met Princess Luna... and from TrUST... and just about everything else he'd experienced since leaving home... but still, the young stallion was still making a valiant attempt to see, hear and do as much as equinely possible.

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

Mounty looked thoughtful, "These? Well I know the minotaur have been using them for a good long while, centuries probably, but in Troy we're just barely starting to bring them in. Most of Troy uses the steam carts, which are nice pieces of machinery to be sure, but they require special roads to operate while these can travel most any terrain out there."

Illiad would chime in, "A steam cart is what we rode when we first got in to Deltrot, the cart that brought us from the gate to my house."

Mounty would continue with a smile, "It's good to hear that you're so willing to learn. When it comes to technology Alphyns has been on the forefront since it was founded, and it is the third oldest city in the Empire."

If Dax had no further questions, Illiad and Mounty would bid their farewells and he would start leading them back along the streets to the TrUST building they had recently visited. "So, anything in particular you want to see in TrUST?"

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

"So, anything in particular you want to see in TrUST?"

"Well, actually... I'm really just curious about the whole thing; we took Silver's invention there, and it felt like the place just flashed by me so fast.  I don't even know if there's anything more to see there, but I figure that if there is, you'd know.  You seem to know them fairly well, Illiad - IS there anything else there that I'd be allowed to see... or is it one of those places that has to keep secrecy for the good of the nation, or something like that?"

He gave one of his sheepish grins.  "I really have no idea if that's even a thing... but Troy seems so... exclusive... that I guess I have to ask.  Or maybe it's just how I see it as an Equestrian myself, I don't know.  But I guess what I'm wondering is if there's anything more there that... that I'd be allowed to see?"

Dax was rather unsure as to how he should feel about essentially feeling like a stranger in a strange land, one that had it's reservations about his homeland.  He wanted to see and do as much as he could, but he was starting to feel as though this wonderful country was so filled with amazing and miraculous things... but would always cast a judgmental eye on him and his country.

Dax had met a number of others so far, and they all seemed to be okay with him... and yet, there was still the overlying feeling of 'you aren't one of us' that seemed to pick at him from the proverbial backseat, so to speak.  He couldn't help but feel as though Equestria was basically being punished for what Celestia had done, and that even though he was more or less accepted on his own merits, he would always be initially seen as 'Equestrian'... which wasn't very appealing to the citizens of Troy.

Princess Celestia, he mentally sighed, I guess we all get to pay for your sins, because things like awesome floating panels would be great for us to have... but I don't think they'll ever feel the want to share, thanks to you.  How sad that is.

Outwardly, he simply gave a shrug.  "I mean, Troy's so advanced, I don't think I even know what I'm missing."

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

Illiad thought for a moment as they walked, "Well, I'm sure there's at least something more than the lobby they'd be willing to show us. I've heard they get quite excited to show off whenever someone new might join them or move in to Troy."

On 12/22/2019 at 2:15 AM, Randimaxis said:

"I mean, Troy's so advanced, I don't think I even know what I'm missing."

Illiad would look over as he thought on what to say next, "Missing? Well, while there are some things here that are different from Equestria, or at least my experience in Canterlot, most of it is in comfort and quality of life, small things. The steam carts are essentially a smaller version of the train, and the panels are really more of an exception when it comes to Trojan advancements, at least as far as I know."

With that they had arrived at the TrUST building again, now that the moon was starting to set there was a bit more activity around, including what looked to be a school group of various races just a few years younger than Dax. The one that looked like the teacher was busy speaking to one dressed as a scientist as the students milled about. Until the teacher caught a glimpse of Illiad. The teacher was a tall griffon, standing a bit higher than Illiad, but she approached with a kind, yet intrigued expression.

Illiad noticed that he was being approached, and stopped to face the one approaching. The griffon gave what looked like a casual version of the Trojan greeting, which Illiad returned.

"Excuse me, you're Illiad Easle, right? The one running for Vice-Consul?" the griffon asked, most of her students had turned their attention to them, more than a few had their curious eyes on Dax.

"That's right, how can I help you?"

"Well, my class and I are here learning about how TrUST operates on an international exchange of ideas between cultures. And I heard on the radio that you were doing something similar," she looked over at Dax and smiled, "I would suppose with this young pony." she turned back to Illiad, "I was wondering if you would be willing to speak to my students sometime? Perhaps when the exchange is complete, on how intercultural relations can benefit others?"

Illiad thought on this for a moment, looking between Dax, TrUST, and the teacher. "I have an idea, you're about to do the tour right?" she nodded "What if we joined you for the tour, and afterwards both Dax and I could offer some commentary to your class on how our exchange compares to the work TrUST does."

He turned to Dax, "If, of course, that's okay with you?"

"Excuse me, you're Illiad Easle, right? The one running for Vice-Consul?" the griffon asked, most of her students had turned their attention to them, more than a few had their curious eyes on Dax.

Dax gave one of his nearly-patented sheepish grins and a little wave.  He looked over the whole group, seeing the diverse children all in the same class, and had a tiny twinge of recollection at his (disastrous) attempt at school when he was younger. 

I wish I'd gone to a school like this; it would have been fun to meet and make friends with all the different sorts here in Troy. 

"What if we joined you for the tour, and afterwards both Dax and I could offer some commentary to your class on how our exchange compares to the work TrUST does."

"If, of course, that's okay with you?"

He looked between the teacher and the class, then gave a hesitant smile and a nod, accepting the offer.

"I'm not exactly certain what sort of insight I could offer ma'am, but if you feel that your class could learn from Illiad's exchange, then I suppose it wouldn't be a problem.  In fact," he grinned at Illiad, "I'd be curious myself to see what he'd have to say as well.  He's well-spoken, so I think your class is in for a real treat."

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

The teacher griffon smiled, "I'm sure it will be! This actually works out quite perfectly, one of my students is home sick so Ta- Wind was without a partner, if you wouldn't mind working with him? They're supposed to take notes on what they learn." She turned towards the students, "Wind!" and motioned over to herself.

A pegasus that had been previously sitting alone while the others chatted came up to the teacher. "Yes Miss Brook?"

"Wind, this is Dax." she motioned towards Dax, "He and Mr. Easle here are joining us for the tour so he'll be your partner."

"Oh, I guess that's fine. It's nice to meet you Dax." He awkwardly extended a hoof out to be shook.

The first thing Dax might notice about the pegasus, apart from his apparent shyness, was how his tail moved, he wore it a bit longer than most stallions, in fact it almost rivaled the fillies in his class for length and apparent care. It was split right down the middle in color, two distinct shades of brown, and further... the colors seemed to move independently, almost as if he had two tails.

Dax wouldn't have much time to dwell on this though as the scientist had moved to the front of the group to get all of their attention. "Alright, welcome everyone to TrUST, we have a number of exciting things to show you today, one in particular that came from a colt not much older than you all, which goes to show that you're never too young or too small to have big ideas. And with TrUST the help you need is never too far away."

With that the scientist led the group of students through the front door, the teacher moving to the back of the group to keep an eye on the whole and to ensure that none of the students wandered off. Two more adults entered the group, most likely parents given the reactions of the students they stood closest to, to help in chaperoning the group. The entryway seemed to have a very different atmosphere from when they had entered earlier, the wall writings a bit simpler, the researchers a but cheerier as they returned the students waves as they walked. They passed the reception desk and turned down a hallway which was blank wall on one side and large windows into test areas on the opposite side. "This here is one of our many testing areas, where local researchers attempt to reproduce experiments sent in from scientists all over Equis to verify their findings." Looking in the first window they could see a deer using a mechanical arm to mix chemicals from behind a blast shield while a minotaur took notes on the reactions as the mixture changed colors.

In the next room there was a single gem stood on a pedestal, a unicorn researcher held it in her magic for a moment, then cast a ball of light spell on the far end of the room. As the students watched, the gem on the pedestal, which was still glowing even after the unicorn released it, grew glowing wings like that of a butterfly, and began to float after the ball of light as the unicorn led it around the room. "This here" their guide continued "Was sent in by a colt from Equestria who discovered it after studying Minotaur runic magic, and combined it with Unicorn casting potential. A true example of the cooperation that TrUST aims to achieve." 

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2019 at 1:11 AM, Illiad Easle said:

"Oh, I guess that's fine. It's nice to meet you Dax."

Dax reached out and shook the hoof with a grin on his muzzle.  "Nice to meet you as well - I hope I can keep up!"

Noticing the strangeness of Wind's tail, Dax gave it a curious look... but said nothing yet; he wasn't sure if this was something typical for Troy, or just a unique pony.  All the same, he was fairly surprised he'd been asked to join them, so he chalked it up to 'things to ask about later', and turned to watch the tour commence.

"Alright, welcome everyone to TrUST, we have a number of exciting things to show you today, one in particular that came from a colt not much older than you all, which goes to show that you're never too young or too small to have big ideas. And with TrUST the help you need is never too far away."

He thought about Silver, and began to wonder if the handimare back home might decide one day to leave the quarry for such an incredible place.  Surely, if she even stepped one hoof in here, she'd be blown away with so much technology, and would absolutely turn into a jabbering mess, so wound up with everything to see here that she'd doubtless speak in her run-on sentences... at least until she'd acclimated.  However, it came with a slightly bittersweet thought:

If Silver ever came here, she'd never want to leave.  She loves the quarry, sure, but... but I'd lose a friend, and she'd be so caught up in her work, that I think we might lose touch.  That... th-that would be terrible for me, though I'd be glad she was happy.  It's a lot to take in - and she'd just get so busy in a place like this...

Though he worried about it, Dax would rather have had Silver happy than to know she wouldn't reach her full potential at the quarry; there, she was the top-of-the-line handimare... but here, she'd be a star.

"This here is one of our many testing areas, where local researchers attempt to reproduce experiments sent in from scientists all over Equis to verify their findings."

Dax's thoughts wandered a bit, seeing as he was no chemist; though the mechanical arm was nifty, his mind sought out other things... and wandered back to the curious tail that Wind had.  He wanted to ask about it, but again, he had no way of telling whether or not this would be a welcome subject to ask about.

He'd seen a number of things already, but with a mind as rapid-fire as his could be, it continued to nag at him.  He didn't stare, but he most certainly wondered if there was some safe way to inquire about the unique colt's interesting trait.

"This here was sent in by a colt from Equestria who discovered it after studying Minotaur runic magic, and combined it with Unicorn casting potential. A true example of the cooperation that TrUST aims to achieve." 

This, Dax paid more attention to.

I'll bet this is where they'll test out the Oasis Maker that Silver invented; Illiad made such a big deal out of what it would mean to Troy... but I have to wonder, with all this wondrous technology and scientific magic available, would it even make any sort of stir at all?  I mean, not like I'd want all of Troy to stand up and cheer, no... but from all the advances I've seen in this one place alone, I can't help but think that it'll just end up on a shelf somewhere.  Silver put so much time and effort into what she did, it would be a shame if all that work was for nothing.

Still, Dax tried his best to pay attention, and was also pleased to hear that there were other Equestrians who seemed to have contact with TrUST; it meant that, even if there were issues between the two nations, that science held no boundaries between them.  A refreshing thought, after hearing so much about how the  two countries had so much held against each other.

Hope for the future, he thought.

"Are you a scientific type, too?"  Dax asked Wing as they stood there.  "I'm not, but I still respect the field."

It was getting easier to talk to others, he noticed; maybe so much exposure to new faces here was starting to help him crawl out of his own proverbial shell?

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

Wind had his pencil firmly grasped in his mouth, furiously writing down notes at each exhibit they passed, they seemed rather detailed for the simplistic style of the questions on the sheet. His concentration was interrupted by Dax's question, but he caught the dropped pencil with a wing before it hit the floor.

5 hours ago, Randimaxis said:

"Are you a scientific type, too?"  Dax asked Wing as they stood there.  "I'm not, but I still respect the field."

"Oh? Sorry, I'm not really much of anything, but my brother works here actually, he's working on a flying machine with an inventor named Diane from Equestria."

The group was walking down an empty hallway, their scientist guide fielding questions from the students in the front of the group as the rest followed behind, discussing the answers to the first few questions on the worksheet.

Wind seemed a bit more excited the more he talked about his brother's work. "He says that they've almost got the prototype working, and when it does they'll be able to help all sorts of creatures fly like pegasi do, and help pegasi carry more and fly further." He motioned with a hoof for emphasis.

With his increased excitement the odd movement of his tail became more apparent. If Dax were following behind Wind it would quickly become obvious that the colt did in fact have two tails, which seemed to be subconsciously controlled independently. If Dax was staring long enough Wind would take notice, his tails quickly dropping down as his excitement disappeared, but he wouldn't say anything about it unless Dax asked.

Soon enough their group passed through another set of doors into a large communal area, creatures of all types were standing about socializing or exercising, more often paired with different species than with the same. Across the room there was a singular changeling who stood undisguised, his garb looking more military than the surrounding scientists he was speaking to.

Their guide called for the group's attention. "At TrUST, open communication between cultures is crucial for the flow of ideas, that's why we provide the facilities for our researchers and inventors to interact in more than just a lab setting, building bonds and friendships that will further their ideas and efforts. A happy researcher is far more successful than a downtrodden one after all."

Their guide led them to a set of tables, each headed by a scientist of a different species. "Now, we're going to divide you all into five groups, each one going with a different scientist to see some research a bit more specialized to your interests!" there was a cheer from the students as each of the scientists produced a card indicating a field of study, though Wind was headed towards one before he even produced a card. The unicorn scientist that Wind approached seemed to recognize Wind, his card saying 'Aviation'.

Wind motioned for Dax to join him, "This is my brother, Wind Lift." The scientist nodded in greeting.

The other scientists, a diamond dog with 'Geology', a griffon with 'Metallurgy', a minotaur with 'Runiform', and a buck with 'Engineering' were the other options if Dax wanted to follow another group. But Wind seemed intent to follow his brother.

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

"Oh? Sorry, I'm not really much of anything, but my brother works here actually, he's working on a flying machine with an inventor named Diane from Equestria."

"Oh, that's nifty!  We have a engineering type back at the quarry, and she's working on a land vehicle that wouldn't require hoofpower to run... but a flying machine?  THAT sounds really neat!"

Dax smiled.  Y'know... this making friends thing is easier than it looks, once you get over yourself!

"He says that they've almost got the prototype working, and when it does they'll be able to help all sorts of creatures fly like pegasi do, and help pegasi carry more and fly further."

Dax nodded as he listened to Wind, getting somewhat excited himself.  "I'm always astounded at the marvels others can come up with, when they have the smarts to do so; I mean, I have my own stuff I'm into, but I gotta admit, I kinda wish I could do all the technical stuff I see engineering-types do!  But still, it's fascinating to watch folks like that at work!"

Dax could tell that Wind was quite enthusiastic about his brother's work, and was proud to speak about it... sort of like Dax himself had been about the stuff Harcourt had taught him, and bragging about it to Illiad.

With his increased excitement the odd movement of his tail became more apparent. If Dax were following behind Wind it would quickly become obvious that the colt did in fact have two tails, which seemed to be subconsciously controlled independently. If Dax was staring long enough Wind would take notice, his tails quickly dropping down as his excitement disappeared, but he wouldn't say anything about it unless Dax asked.

Well, don't just stand there making him feel insecure, Dax - now's your chance to say something! 

He looked around a bit, then moved close enough to whisper quietly to Wind.  "... umm, I'm not sure how you'd feel about it, so I'll keep quiet if you want, but... I think what you have going on back there is actually pretty cool.  Really, I mean it."

Then, just like that, he cleared his throat.  "So, uhm, what else can you tell me about your brother's work?"

He hoped beyond hope that Wind wouldn't be upset over Dax's words, and tried to give him an out in case he was as insecure about his tails as Dax was about... well, a lot of other things.  He didn't want to shame Wind, but he felt that if he didn't say anything, it'd be just as bad as saying something mean; he recalled when the worker ponies stared at him, and he knew what that felt like.

Hopefully, he wouldn't be upset - he wanted to make a new friend in Wind.

"At TrUST, open communication between cultures is crucial for the flow of ideas, that's why we provide the facilities for our researchers and inventors to interact in more than just a lab setting, building bonds and friendships that will further their ideas and efforts. A happy researcher is far more successful than a downtrodden one after all.  Now, we're going to divide you all into five groups, each one going with a different scientist to see some research a bit more specialized to your interests!"

Dax looked at all the different races of scientific minds gathered here, and marveled at how Troy and TrUST had brought them all together like this.

Woooooooowwwww...

He was almost beside himself with fascination; so many brilliant minds, all in one place!

"Now, we're going to divide you all into five groups, each one going with a different scientist to see some research a bit more specialized to your interests!"

Dax looked about at the other groups; he sort of wished he could split himself up, so he could see them ALL!  But, still wanting to make friends, he instead followed where Wind went, smiling kindly.

"This is my brother, Wind Lift."

Dax nodded back, trying to mimic the gesture to appear friendly.  "A pleasure to meet you, sir - I'm Dax.  Your brother really seems to admire you, and I have to admit that anyone working here is amazing in my book!"

He wasn't certain what to do from here, but he was sure he'd pick up the idea by seeing what Lift would say.

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

19 hours ago, Randimaxis said:

"Oh, that's nifty!  We have a engineering type back at the quarry, and she's working on a land vehicle that wouldn't require hoofpower to run... but a flying machine?  THAT sounds really neat!"

Wind looked interested in that, "You mean, like a steam cart? That sounds cool too."

"... umm, I'm not sure how you'd feel about it, so I'll keep quiet if you want, but... I think what you have going on back there is actually pretty cool.  Really, I mean it."

Wind's enthusiasm still died down a bit, but he seemed rather grateful that Dax was quick to change the subject. "Not much, more of it goes over my head than I would like, but he taught me a bunch about my wings, stuff I didn't know before about how Pegasi use magic to fly and all that."

"A pleasure to meet you, sir - I'm Dax.  Your brother really seems to admire you, and I have to admit that anyone working here is amazing in my book!"

Lift didn't immediately respond to Dax's greeting as Dax wasn't the only student to join them, despite their group being the smallest proportionally. Lift turned to address the small collection of students, "Alright everyone if you'll follow me, I'm Wind Lift and I'll be showing you what we're researching and if you're good you'll even get to help test some things!" That seemed to make the rest of their group excited, Wind especially.

Lift led their group out of the common area and up some stairs to a research area that had a higher ceiling than a few of the other rooms they had seen. There were a few other researchers in the room, but they seemed prepared for the incoming students as they turned from their work to greet them as they entered, making their way to a large contraption in the center of the room. (If you remember Pinkie's gyro-copter from the episode with Gilda, it looks like that.) The machine was loosely tethered to the ground with a few lengths of rope. "Here in the Aviation area we study flight, or more specifically how the flight of pegasi and griffons can be replicated by others. This machine here" he motioned to the tethered contraption, "is a thought experiment we call the Diane machine, after the researcher who sent it to us. This propeller is spun by the hoof pedals here" he gave the pedal a quarter turn and the propellers started to move a small bit, "pushing air down and lifting the machine up much like when a pegasus or bird flaps downward. At least that's how it works in theory. The machine as it is is too heavy for any one pony to power for any reasonable length of time, but that won't stop us from letting you all try! So form up a line,"

The excited students started to form a line, Wind had started to rush for the front, but a subtle glance from his brother sent him to rejoin Dax, who would end up in the middle of the group as the line formed around him.

Lift and the other researchers helped each student up in turn, the other researchers timing how long they managed to keep the machine in the air and how high, the class average when it came to Dax's turn being about 10 seconds and half a width.

(I imagine if Dax really gives it his all, given he's still light but well muscled he'd be able to hold a foot high for a solid 30 seconds, or however long he can full sprint at max resistance.)

• Brohoof 1

25 minutes ago, Illiad Easle said:

"Not much, more of it goes over my head than I would like, but he taught me a bunch about my wings, stuff I didn't know before about how Pegasi use magic to fly and all that."

Dax gave a giggle.  "Over your head?  That's a good pun!"  He then smiled and added, "Well, Silver told me that there was an inherent magic that all pony races have, and that even if it doesn't manifest as, y'know, unicorn-type magic, it's still just as valid!  That's why I don't try to tell folks what they can or can't do - nobody knows what magic really is, so there's no telling what could be out there... and what can be accomplished.  Maybe magic is more of what you want it to be, if you try hard enough."

He then blushed a bit.  "Well, heh... that's how I see it, anyway - I could be wrong."

30 minutes ago, Illiad Easle said:

"Alright everyone if you'll follow me, I'm Wind Lift and I'll be showing you what we're researching and if you're good you'll even get to help test some things!"

Dax followed along amicably enough; he was curious to see what was coming next.  He might have felt a bit crestfallen at being ignored, but it didn't last as he almost broke his neck, looking around so much at as many things as he could!  He again wondered if Silver would ever come home when she saw what TrUST had to offer...

32 minutes ago, Illiad Easle said:

"Here in the Aviation area we study flight, or more specifically how the flight of pegasi and griffons can be replicated by others. This machine here is a thought experiment we call the Diane machine, after the researcher who sent it to us. This propeller is spun by the hoof pedals here pushing air down and lifting the machine up much like when a pegasus or bird flaps downward. At least that's how it works in theory. The machine as it is is too heavy for any one pony to power for any reasonable length of time, but that won't stop us from letting you all try! So form up a line,"

Dax grinned and turned to Wind.  "Silver built something like that once... but it wasn't for flying; when one of the generators blew out at the quarry, she rigged up a device that looked a bit like that for the Earth Ponies to be able to use the winch.  Normally it wouldn't matter, but there were ponies still down in the mines, and they would've been stuck there for a day or maybe more if she hadn't set it up.  This..." he looked carefully at the machine, "looks more complicated than that... but I actually think I kinda understand it."

Dax felt a little ball of warmth in his heart; he actually wasn't completely out of his element here, it seemed.  He'd have to thank the handimare when he got home - without experience with her works, he'd probably be feeling like an idiot about now.

39 minutes ago, Illiad Easle said:

Lift and the other researchers helped each student up in turn, the other researchers timing how long they managed to keep the machine in the air and how high, the class average when it came to Dax's turn being about 10 seconds and half a width.

When it came to his turn, Dax (who had been studiously watching the others to see what to do) got inside and settled himself into place.

Okay Dax, he thought, you can do this.  It's just a big, heavy bicycle; you've got this.  Show 'em what a quarry pony can do.

He began to push the pedals.  It began slowly at first, but he quickly picked up speed as he closed his eyes.  He leaned forward over the handles, and put his back into it.

You can do it, Stripes, the voice of his brother Harcourt floated through his mind, come on - give 'em a show they'll not soon forget!

He didn't even look to see if he'd managed to get the thing off the ground; he was so intent on pedaling that he didn't even consider that he was being watched.  He just put his heart into what he was doing, and praise Luna if he managed even an inch off the floor.  All those years he'd spent at the quarry came back to him - the time he'd spent kicking rocks in the mines (behind his father's back) came back to him as he struggled, sweated, and grunted with effort.

Like quartz, but at a more consistent rate... leg comes up while leg goes down... switching force from side to side, allowing the opposing leg to rest only long enough to reach the apex of the revolution... then increase force... pushing through like a rough mica that gives under enough pressure... steady and stalwart... pressing, not shoving, each leg in turn, like a duet with harmonies... 

He kept going, his entire being focused like a single arrow, racing to its' destination with zero focus on anything more that achieving the goal.

Gotta keep moving... gotta keep... moving... gotta... keep...

Even Dax, the son of a seasoned rock-kicker, had his limits however; before long, he knew he was flagging and, rather than risk damaging the machine, he began to ramp down his pedaling, bringing the entire contraption slowly down until he felt it touch down.  When it did, he let out a gasp and fell back into the seat, panting for breath.

After a few moments, he opened his eyes and looked at the others there. 

"Did... d-did I do it?" he asked plaintively as he pulled himself off the device, looking at it to make sure he hadn't broken anything.

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

17 hours ago, Randimaxis said:

Maybe magic is more of what you want it to be, if you try hard enough.

Wind looked a bit skeptical, "I'm not too much into magic, but from what they taught us in school magic is like air or gravity in that it affects us all, but each form of life has it's way to interact with it on a natural level, or something like that." he shrugged.

17 hours ago, Randimaxis said:

"Did... d-did I do it?

The researchers and gathered students seemed rather impressed with Dax's feat. Lift nodded as he helped Dax dismount, "I'll say, you've got quite the set of legs on you. A few ponies like you and we wouldn't even need my method, which I'll be showing you all in a bit."

After the rest of the students, including Wind, tried and failed to replicate Dax's feat, some disappointed but not by much, Lift called their attention again. "Alright, so you all saw just how difficult it can be to fly this way right? It's this sort of thing that pegasi magic compensates for. The point of this machine is to counteract gravity, and mathematically even the wings of a griffon are not large enough to displace enough air to keep them aloft, as we've tried using scale replicas to no success. Pegasus magic makes up the difference there, but even without it they are able to glide." One of the other researchers motioned for Lift to get a move on, to which he sighed. "Alright, for the sake of time I won't explain exactly how we got to what I'm going to show you, in fact for what you write about our section I'd like you to try and recreate our thought process. Follow me please!"

He turned to lead the group into an adjoining room which housed a machine so strange it made the Diane look like a foal's toy. (It's somewhat reminiscent of a bi-plane) It was made up of a tube that looked to have room enough for three ponies max, with a strange looking harness on the front connected to a veritable spider's web of cables extending out to the pair of protrusions on each side that looked vaguely like bat wings and the pair of similar but smaller protrusions on the back. Behind the harness was a seat and set of pedals just like the ones they had just used, which seemed connected to the propeller situated in front of the harness. Many of the students looked at the machine curiously, some taking notes as they started to draw conclusions to the question Lift had posed them, though Wind just seemed excited to see it.

Wind leaned in to whisper to Dax, "Lift told me all about this, it's got wings like a pegasus to glide without magic, large enough to carry all the weight, and then the machine turned sideways, while not strong enough to lift up, can pull sideways enough to make up for the lack of pegasus magic."

Lift brought the group around to the front of the machine so he could demonstrate the harness, another researcher strapping a pegasus mannequin in to show how they would sit. "This is what we call the Diane-Lift technique, which combines Diane's engine with my own glider design, an earth pony or one with similar constitution powers the propeller from the back, while a pegasus or one similarly capable of flight controls the wings as if they were an extension of their own wings as if they were gliding, achieving a similar effect to riding the wind as I'm told. Minute adjustments made with their wings translate to adjustments in the wing flaps to control their turning and angle just like they would with magic."

The researcher in control of the mannequin showed that by turning the pony wing slightly parts of the connected machine wing angled as well.

"This is of course just a prototype, but with further research this could be something big."

• Brohoof 1

On 1/11/2020 at 6:29 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"I'll say, you've got quite the set of legs on you. A few ponies like you and we wouldn't even need my method, which I'll be showing you all in a bit."

He didn't bother the scientist with any more words... but Dax's smile said that he was glad he'd been complimented... and perhaps had just a touch of pride at having been so successful.

"Alright, so you all saw just how difficult it can be to fly this way right? It's this sort of thing that pegasi magic compensates for. The point of this machine is to counteract gravity, and mathematically even the wings of a griffon are not large enough to displace enough air to keep them aloft, as we've tried using scale replicas to no success. Pegasus magic makes up the difference there, but even without it they are able to glide... alright, for the sake of time I won't explain exactly how we got to what I'm going to show you, in fact for what you write about our section I'd like you to try and recreate our thought process. Follow me please!"

Dax was a bit disappointed that Lift was shooed along in his explanation; the Blackwater had been following what he was talking about, and was a bit crestfallen that he didn't get to go on.  However, he was eager to see what they were going to be shown, so he didn't wonder too much more over it.

When he saw the device, at first he just stared at it; he'd never seen anything like it before, and even if he didn't understand it, he was fascinated with the idea that it was a scientific design that had been brought to life.

"Lift told me all about this, it's got wings like a pegasus to glide without magic, large enough to carry all the weight, and then the machine turned sideways, while not strong enough to lift up, can pull sideways enough to make up for the lack of pegasus magic."

"Cooooooooool..." he marveled to Wind, smiling as he now started to try to look it over and figure out how it worked.  Luckily, an explanation was forthcoming.

"This is what we call the Diane-Lift technique, which combines Diane's engine with my own glider design, an earth pony or one with similar constitution powers the propeller from the back, while a pegasus or one similarly capable of flight controls the wings as if they were an extension of their own wings as if they were gliding, achieving a similar effect to riding the wind as I'm told. Minute adjustments made with their wings translate to adjustments in the wing flaps to control their turning and angle just like they would with magic."

Dax saw it; it was pretty much like one of the paper darts that Oglevy used to make to simulate flying.  When his kid brother threw it, it had sailed along and came to land on its' own because a throw could only go so far - this device kept a constant force pushing wind from behind, while also having the ability to raise and lower parts of the wings to point the craft either up or down, or turn it if they worked in opposing directions.

All the intelligence and acumen of the green-striped pony was most certainly being put to good use as he envisioned what sort of things the device was capable of doing; that, combined with his time helping Oglevy to improve his airspeed, were now coming into full play in this place of science and learning.  Maybe someday, even Dax could find a way to work with TrUST... if they were willing to take him, of course.  He was certain he wasn't in the same league as the big brains here, but he might someday prove to be good enough to help out.

If he ever found himself in Troy again, that was.

"This is of course just a prototype, but with further research this could be something big."

Daxter Blackwater, the colt of a rock miner, slowly raised a hoof as he looked at Lift.  He didn't want to interrupt, but he did notice something that Oglevy's flying darts always had, but this device didn't seem to... and naturally, he thought he might be foolish to mention it, but it seemed as though he might just bring it up; maybe the machine wasn't actually done being built yet, and the part he had in mind was to be added... but then again, he wondered if asking about it would allow Lift to talk more about the device.

"Uhm, isn't there a... t-tail-fin?  When my brother made paper darts, he'd fold up a fin in the back to help keep it stable.  I see the flaps for lift, and understand that, when used opposite of each other, they can turn the device, but... a vertical flap would help stabilize it and make it easier to keep it from capsizing in midair, right?  So, I was wondering where it might be?  Is it being cleaned or maybe repaired?"

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

Lift eventually noticed Dax's hoof, "Ah, a question? Go on then,"

On 1/13/2020 at 2:23 AM, Randimaxis said:

"Uhm, isn't there a... t-tail-fin?  When my brother made paper darts, he'd fold up a fin in the back to help keep it stable.  I see the flaps for lift, and understand that, when used opposite of each other, they can turn the device, but... a vertical flap would help stabilize it and make it easier to keep it from capsizing in midair, right?  So, I was wondering where it might be?  Is it being cleaned or maybe repaired?"

Lift seemed impressed by Dax's statement, while a few of the other students whispered about him being a nerd. A pointed glance by Lift quelled their whispering as he turned back to Dax, motioning for all to follow him as he led them to the area Dax had mentioned. "Very astute observation, it seems you've got quite the eye for detail. At the moment a stabilizer is being designed. As you can see, this craft is designed to replicate without magic what a pegasus achieves with magic, and a pegasus maintains their stability, as we've come to understand, using their tail, however..."

He pointed up towards the mannequin, "While it is relatively easy for us to translate wing motions to the greater wings, we've encountered quite a bit of difficulty translating dock movements to the greater tail. We have a few alternative methods in testing and someday soon we'll figure it out."

The other students began to follow Dax's lead in fielding questions of their own, and Lift directed his fellow researchers to answer them as he came to approach Dax and Wind more directly. "I'm glad to see someone here taking interest in my brother, I assume you're new here?" he turned towards Wind, "Because I thought you told me you didn't have any friends here."

Wind looked a bit chagrined at his brother's teasing, "Well, he joined us with Mr. Easle, part of that cultural exchange thing they talked about on the radio."

Lift looked more impressed as he turned back to Dax, "Is that so? Well then I'm glad I was able to impress, where are you from if I might ask? My brother and I only got here from Archback a month or so ago."

• Brohoof 1

"Very astute observation, it seems you've got quite the eye for detail. At the moment a stabilizer is being designed. As you can see, this craft is designed to replicate without magic what a pegasus achieves with magic, and a pegasus maintains their stability, as we've come to understand, using their tail, however... while it is relatively easy for us to translate wing motions to the greater wings, we've encountered quite a bit of difficulty translating dock movements to the greater tail. We have a few alternative methods in testing and someday soon we'll figure it out."

Dax felt glad he'd been on the right track; though Oglevy had just torn a part of the tail and folded it upward, Dax still wasn't exactly certain how it could be easier to translate into a mechanical form - after all, it's not as though they could simply tear a piece of steel... although, being Troy, he wouldn't be surprised to find out they actually could.

He gave Wind a nudge.  "Watching a brother helps a lot, right?" he said with a grin.

"I'm glad to see someone here taking interest in my brother, I assume you're new here?  Because I thought you told me you didn't have any friends here."

"Well, he joined us with Mr. Easle, part of that cultural exchange thing they talked about on the radio."

They said something on the radio about it?  Wow, maybe more folks know than Illiad even knows about!  Maybe we should swing by that radio... tower... place, and say hello?

The thought ruminated in his mind as he looked at Lift.  "Yeah, I'm... just filling in, I guess you could say."  He smiled.  "Besides, anyone who'd partner up with someone like your brother here would really benefit; he's excited about what you do, and it helps ME to be more excited as well!"

Compliments always help, he thought as he tossed a grin at Wind.

"Is that so? Well then I'm glad I was able to impress, where are you from if I might ask? My brother and I only got here from Archback a month or so ago."

"Archback?  Wow, that's..." He tried to calculate the distance, but couldn't quite figure it out.  "... a long ways from here!  My family actually lives in the Crystal Mountains; chances are, if you folks ever used emeralds in Equestria to hold enchantments, then it was probably from my father's quarry!  I don't think there's really very many in Troy yet, but if they do show up, I'm sure you'll be able to tell the quality right off the bat!"

He pondered a moment, then looked at the device again.  "You're still designing a tail fin?  I don't know about the mechanics of it, but couldn't you just turn a wing on its' side, shorten it and find a way to move it from side to side?  I mean, if the wing flaps can lift, couldn't they do the same thing sideways?"

He then gave a bit of a blush.  "N-not that I'm trying to be a smarty-pants or anything like that; for all I know, what I described might be too basic for this superior design.  I was just thinking about it, is all... we have a handimare back home who does a LOT of mechanical work, and I sometimes watch.  I might not know the actual nuts-and-bolts stuff, but I kinda get it."

He released one of his sheepish smiles.  "Kinda."

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

Wind blushed at the compliments Dax sent his way while Lift simply chuckled at his brother's embarrassment. "Glad to see he can make friends, if he can do it with someone he just met, maybe he can apply what he learned to find some friends that won't be leaving shortly. As far away as Archback is, if i remember my map correctly the crystal mountains are twice as far from here."

21 hours ago, Randimaxis said:

I don't think there's really very many in Troy yet, but if they do show up, I'm sure you'll be able to tell the quality right off the bat!"

Lift thought a moment, "Here no, Troy tries to ensure no Equestrian goods come here, but Archabck has no such qualms. Now that I think of it, I may have seen one or two up the mountain, though I've heard the thestrals have a real thing for them. If your father isn't already, he might want to get in contact with the Fastar clan and trade some to them directly."

"You're still designing a tail fin?  I don't know about the mechanics of it, but couldn't you just turn a wing on its' side, shorten it and find a way to move it from side to side?  I mean, if the wing flaps can lift, couldn't they do the same thing sideways?"

"That's the basic form of it yes, but we can't really finalize the flap until we know how to control it. If we could run it by straps and cables like the wings it'd be done by now, but as you might have noticed, most ponies' docks don't exactly have much surface area for a strap, and further it wouldn't translate well to griffons." He shrugged, "One idea we're looking at is to have some sort of lever or pedal control, it'd take some extra training for the driver, but if that's the option I think it'll work out for now."

we have a handimare back home who does a LOT of mechanical work, and I sometimes watch. 

Lift looked a bit intrigued at that, "Her name wouldn't happen to be Diane perchance? A bit of a stretch I know but I've only known her by her designs."

One of the other researchers caught Lift's attention and directed it towards the clock on the wall, "Shoot, Alright everyone! I hope you all enjoyed the presentation, if you'll follow me we'll be heading back down to the common area so you can finish up your tour."

With that he lead the way, and Wind was close to follow with Dax in tow, back down the hallways to the large common area they had separated the class in. Illiad was there with the teacher, apparently he had gone with the runiform group as the minotaur researcher was involved in their discussion as the students chatted around them. Illiad would nod to Dax and wave for him to join them when he noticed their approach.

"Here no, Troy tries to ensure no Equestrian goods come here, but Archabck has no such qualms. Now that I think of it, I may have seen one or two up the mountain, though I've heard the thestrals have a real thing for them. If your father isn't already, he might want to get in contact with the Fastar clan and trade some to them directly."

There's that Fastar name again, he pondered as he stood there.  Good to know, in case Illiad and I end up among them; if they like emeralds, I'm SURE to make at least one friend there!

"Her name wouldn't happen to be Diane perchance? A bit of a stretch I know but I've only known her by her designs."

"No, no... her name is Silver Studs.  'Diane' kinda sounds familiar... but I can't place it.  Sorry."

Upon thinking it over, there was one of the Elements of Harmony whose middle name was 'Diane'... but based on who she was, there was no chance it could possibly be her.  Nope.  Not a chance.

"Shoot, Alright everyone! I hope you all enjoyed the presentation, if you'll follow me we'll be heading back down to the common area so you can finish up your tour."

As they headed back down, Dax leaned in towards Wind.  "If you wanna, I can give you my mailing address, and we can keep in touch if you'd like!  It was pretty neat, partnering up with you; thanks for putting up with me."

Though the words were self-deprecating, his eyes (and emotions) said he most certainly wasn't upset or mopey; on the contrary, he was in a fine fetter, and his smile reinforced that.

Illiad would nod to Dax and wave for him to join them when he noticed their approach.

Though he started to trot towards Illiad, he then stopped and turned back to Wind.  "Hey, uhm... you feel like you wanna come over here and meet my best friend?  He's really nice, and he's really smart, too - like your brother, only with other stuff.  I'm sure he wouldn't mind saying hi..."

After all, if you seem to be having trouble making friends, Dax thought, then you could use the practice... just like me!

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

18 hours ago, Randimaxis said:

"If you wanna, I can give you my mailing address, and we can keep in touch if you'd like!  It was pretty neat, partnering up with you; thanks for putting up with me."

Wind looked surprised, "I uh, actually would like that, thank you." He would pass the worksheet over to Dax for him to write the address on the back, once done he would look at it with a smile. "Don't worry, I'll copy it down before I turn this in, no chance I'm going to lose this."

18 hours ago, Randimaxis said:

"Hey, uhm... you feel like you wanna come over here and meet my best friend?  He's really nice, and he's really smart, too - like your brother, only with other stuff.  I'm sure he wouldn't mind saying hi..."

Wind looked a bit less sure, "I don't know, I've heard of Mr. Easle before, I doubt he'd care about someone as unimportant as me, I can't vote for him yet after all, so..." Despite this, he would follow close behind Dax as Dax led the way to Illiad, who would turn from his conversation as they approached.

"Ah, there you are Dax, I had wondered what had piqued your interest, though honestly I shouldn't be surprised. I'm glad to see you're enjoying yourselves, did you two learn anything particularly exciting?"

• Brohoof 1

14 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

"I uh, actually would like that, thank you.  Don't worry, I'll copy it down before I turn this in, no chance I'm going to lose this."

Dax smiled his biggest smile; friendship accomplished!  Wow, I'll have to write to Princess Luna AND Wind too!  This is great!  I hope I have a TON of letters to write when I get back!

"Here, mind if I get yours too?"  He reached back into his mane, pulled a string there, and brought out a rolled sheet of paper, untying it as he held it out for Wind to write on.  "That way, I can write to you as soon as I get home!"

"I don't know, I've heard of Mr. Easle before, I doubt he'd care about someone as unimportant as me, I can't vote for him yet after all, so..."

The Blackwater chuckled.  "Oh, Illiad's not like that; he's in politics to do the right thing, not for popularity or anything like that!  He's really nice, and he likes others just for who they are - heck, he likes me well enough, and I'm not even from Troy!  So no, I don't think he'd even care if you could vote or not; he's just a nice guy.  Here, I'll show ya!"

Dax trotted happily over to where Illiad was standing, a big grin plastered all over his muzzle.

"Ah, there you are Dax, I had wondered what had piqued your interest, though honestly I shouldn't be surprised. I'm glad to see you're enjoying yourselves, did you two learn anything particularly exciting?"

"We did!  Well, I did, anyway - I'm pretty sure Wind here knows more about it than I do.  Illiad Easle," he made a sweeping gesture towards his companion, "this is Wind; he was my partner through the presentation, and his brother Wind Lift works here as a scientist!  I got to see a..." he searched his head for the proper word, "... rotor-thopter, and I even got to try getting it off the ground!  And I did!  It was hard, but I did it!  THAT was fun!  Wind here knows a lot about his brother's work, and I'll bet he could even join TrUST when he grows up!"

Dax was excited, naturally - a new friend always seemed to bring the best out of the little guy.  As Illiad would well know by now.

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

11 hours ago, Randimaxis said:

"That way, I can write to you as soon as I get home!"

Wind looked surprised, more at where Dax pulled the paper from than the request, but nonetheless began writing out his address, before sheepishly crossing it out and starting again, "Sorry, force of habit, I put down our old address, we haven't been here long so, yeah." He passed the paper back once he looked it over again to ensure it was properly written.

Illiad would peek over at it once it was passed back, "Don't forget the Dodge JCT box, just like you did for my letters."

(I'm ret-conning that, in order for mail to go from Equestria to Troy a letter is addressed with the Trojan address, then put inside another envelope addressed to a specific box in Dodge JCT, where the postmaster removes the outer envelope and sends it on to Troy. I don't believe this changes the story in any noticeable way)

Illiad nodded towards Wind as he was introduced, "I'm glad to hear that Dax has managed to find a friend in you, You do well as an example of both Troy and Archback to Equestria."

It was about then that the scientist that led them in the beginning would return to the group of students right behind the final tour group's return. "We will now continue to the final part of our tour, where we will all watch a presentation by the current head of TrUST A. C. Bunsen Burner." The name didn't seem too familiar to the students, but the teacher seemed pleased to hear it. The group was led to a room somewhat like an auditorium which had a max capacity only a little greater than their group. At the very least there was plenty of seats for everyone, Illiad sitting on the other side of Dax from Wind. Just about as soon as they were all seated, the same stallion who had talked to Dax when they dropped off Silver's invention came out on stage.

"Welcome, to the Trojan United Science Trust. Future Scientists, Heroes, Olympians, you're here because you are the future of Equis. I'm Clave Bunsen, I run the place. This lovely mare who's been guiding you is Carol, my assistant. She's the backbone of this facility, pretty as a postcard too."

The scientist mare, now named Carol, blushed.

"There's thousands of tests performed every day here in our enrichment tracks, a few of which you saw today. Now I can't personally oversee all these tests, which is why scientists and researchers like Carol and the others you followed today are vital to this effort of ours, all our cultures and experiences coming together into a mutual trust for a better Equis tomorrow. Each and every one of you could be them one day, doing your part to further science and inspire yet future generations. You're here because at TrUST, the future starts with you."

Clave gave a short bow, and proceeded off the stage as Carol took his place. "Thank you sir, now" she turned her attention back to the students, "If you have any questions about TrUST as a whole, now is the time to ask."

• Brohoof 1