Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private A Cultural Exchange 1x1 with Randimaxis

Illiad Easle

1 hour ago, Illiad Easle said:

"You're much stronger than I thought Dax, you made this look way too easy."

Dax shrugged; he'd always been an Earth Pony, so he really had no idea how heavy was too heavy - he'd just never really considered that others couldn't do what he could.  What's more, he wanted to ease Illiad's burden... but for some reason, the Trojan seemed intent on wanting to do it himself.

Why is he wanting to haul the box himself?  Is he upset at me for some reason, or does he feel like its' his turn to carry it?

Dax didn't think too hard on that angle; he decided it was probably better to simply let whatever happened, happen.  Besides, he was so taken by his surroundings, Dax didn't spend much thought on it - he was too busy wondering at the marvels around him.

Soon enough Illiad made a turn past a sign embossed with a triple triangle weave with the word TRUST engraved next to it. Within the design, specifically on each of the triangles, was a word written over and over again; one triangle said Trojan Empire, another Griffon Kingdoms, and the third, West Cervidas.

"West Cervidas," Dax slowly sounded out, "isn't that where the deer have their homes?"

"It's a security measure, given the importance of this place they don't want anything dangerous getting in that they can't put back together after it blows up."

The Blackwater nodded; he had zero clue as to how the magics could tell something like that... but then again, he didn't have any magic, so he simply took it as read that it did its' thing.  He was secretly pleased that apparently Silver's device wasn't explosive or dangerous - not that she would ever MAKE anything dangerous, but more like incidentally or accidentally.

"Shouldn't take long, once they see the schematics they should be very excited to see her prototype."

Dax nodded absently; he was busy staring at the diagrams on the glass, paying special attention to the calculations in particular.  He sat down automatically, his emerald eyes wandering back and forth across the computations, the gears in his mind going a mile a minute.

"You there! Welcome, what brings you to the TRUST this fine evening?"

"Hunh?" 

Dax was taken a bit aback, but gave one of his patented sheepish grins as he gladly shook the proffered hoof, feeling cordial even as he was being somewhat shy.

"Uhm... I suppose I could say 'the train', and I wouldn't be wrong?"

He sincerely hoped his attempt at a joke wasn't missed... or worse, offensive.

"I may not own it, but I sure do run the place, name's Clave Bunsen, and you look like you're here to do some science. I just got word of another colt like you from Equestria of all places, they say he built a rune capable of collecting magic right out of the air."

Dax blushed brightly.

"Oh... OH!  No no no no no... I'm not here for ME, actually - I'm here on behalf of a friend of mine, who sent along an invention for the greater good of Troy; she was told that TrUST would be the place to send it, so here I am.  W-with my other friend, that is."  He pointed at Illiad.

"I'm... not really any kind of scientist, actually.  I mean, I know numbers, that's for sure..." His eyes wandered back to the diagrams again, but snapped back to Clave before he could get caught up in them again.

"Really, I'm more of a... uhm... well, more of a bumpkin among the stars, here.  But it IS nice to meet you, Mister Bunsen - I'm Dax... Dax Blackwater."

His grin graduated from sheepish to broad - after all, he was always hoping to make new friends, right?

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

Clave Bunsen laughed heartily at Dax's comments, "I like your style! Honest, down to earth just like me. I started out a lowly Equestrian salt miner, selling shower curtains on the side, but I caught the eye of destiny! Bought the whole salt mine and turned it into a full scientific research center." He turned to head over to the desk, seemingly interested in the crate they had brought with them, "Life gave each of us lemons, but are you going to make lemon-aid out of them?"

Illiad gave a respectful slight bow as Clave approached him at the desk, to which he laughed and shook his hoof like he knew him for years before taking a look at the diagrams Silver had sent along with the device, he was clearly impressed by what he saw, shaking Illiad's hoof again as he stored the designs in his suit coat. He took a step back before he pulled a piece of paper out of the other side of his coat and offered it to Illiad, before sticking it in his robe when he tried to refuse it.

Then, and likely the most surprising of all, he hefted the crate with just one hoof to take with him back through the doors he came through.

Illiad was still staring after him as he walked over to Dax, "Well, I'd say that went well. Silver just made more money with that thing than I make in a month, and that's was just the bonus he's offering to convince her to sign on, who knows what they'll be willing to pay her for the actual patent rights."

42 minutes ago, Illiad Easle said:

"I like your style! Honest, down to earth just like me. I started out a lowly Equestrian salt miner, selling shower curtains on the side, but I caught the eye of destiny! Bought the whole salt mine and turned it into a full scientific research center.  Life gave each of us lemons, but are you going to make lemon-aid out of them?"

Dax was taken a bit aback at how aggressively charismatic Clave was, and simply stood there while the words washed over him.  Once the brash yet confident stallion moved to Illiad, the Blackwater simply stood there for a moment.

What... just happened, here?  Did... d-did I make a friend?  I... honestly don't know... he's just so... BAM, y'know?

He simply watched, still somewhat stunned, as the two spoke, Clave did his thing, and then departed with the crate. 

Weren't we supposed to... demonstrate it?  Well, I guess it's not necessary... what a strange - but lively - stallion.

He shook himself out of his mental conversation when Illiad came over.

48 minutes ago, Illiad Easle said:

"Well, I'd say that went well. Silver just made more money with that thing than I make in a month, and that's was just the bonus he's offering to convince her to sign on, who knows what they'll be willing to pay her for the actual patent rights."

Dax blinked.  "That stallion... he's... really something."

He then turned to face Illiad.  "Is that it?  I thought we would have to do more, but... I guess not, eh?  Well, that's okay - we do have other places to go and things to do, right?  Still..." he glanced back at the diagrams once more, and the Empathic could feel the young Blackwater's draw to them.  Dax might not have been a scientist, but his education level was most certainly high enough to qualify, and his interest in the maths presented was most definitely on his mind.

Still, since it wasn't his place to get involved - Silver had been given the invitation, not him - he simply smiled up at his friend.  "Okay, so... shall we get going?"

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

Illiad nodded, "Yeah, we need to be at the telescope before the sun rises anyway, can't see much then."

He shook his head as he had still been staring after Clave, redirecting his attention to Dax, "Really there isn't much outside of the lobby that would be safe for the general public to see anyway, I'm sure Silver would have mentioned at some point the inherent danger that comes with an experiment, and this place is full of them."

He walked them back out the way they had come in, passing the moving statues without incident, they didn't even seem to react to their passing. He navigated them through the very clean and organized streets of Alphyns, while Deltrot had been a regular pattern, a sort of series of concentric pentagons with every thing arranged into blocks, Alphyns didn't follow that linear method, instead all the roads curved and flowed into each other, which made it a bit more confusing to navigate while also being calming to actually walk down.

Soon enough they came to a shop by a gateway in the wall, a number of carts stood by that were connected to more moving statues, these of the eight legged variety though without the large platform on the back. They stood absolutely motionless.

A minotaur stood nearby who approached them as they did, "Heya fellers, lookin to get somewheres out on the dunes?"

Illiad smiled cordially and halted as the minotaur approached him, oddly enough he spoke with an accent similar to the minotaur, changing his speech patterns much like he had when he first met Dax's parents "Eyessir, me an my buddy here goin ta outpost, ya tink we could hitch a ride?"

The minotaur's expression seemed to shift a bit more gleeful, and mischievous, as his own accent shifted drastically, down to the posture. "Ahem, Indeed my good sir, my chariots are among the finest in Troy and the very best there is in Alphyns, they'll expedite your journey without any incidents with the local obstacles."

Illiad seemed to straighten himself out to match, "Ah yes, that sounds quite right, real top shelf if I do say so myself, a real spot on and top notch job Minty."

The name as he pronounced it was odd, something more akin to Mnty.

The minotaur looked around and behind Illiad before being engulfed in golden fire to reveal an upright changeling who lowered themselves down to four legs and gestured around a corner, he spoke with a much more normal tone now, "Alright, how'd you know it was me?"

Illiad laughed, "Who else can maintain that pose? You're the only one I know with the legs to even try to be a minotaur."

The changeling in question did in fact have rather strong looking legs, even on four legs he stood a full head higher that Illiad, and then some, he was likely the tallest pony Dax had ever seen.

Illiad continued, "Anyway, this is Dax, if you haven't heard of him already."

Minty looked impressed, "The one that saved Mystic?" He turned to Dax, extending a hoof, "An honor to meet you, I'm Mounty, m n t y."

(I came up with this whole thing on the spot, Mnty and Illiad aren't friends, just acquaintances.)

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/27/2019 at 4:20 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"Really there isn't much outside of the lobby that would be safe for the general public to see anyway, I'm sure Silver would have mentioned at some point the inherent danger that comes with an experiment, and this place is full of them."

With everything I've seen in Silver's workshop over time, I have NO doubt that there's a lot of potential for calamity here.  Dax nodded, moving alongside his friend and trying to keep himself focused on where they were going, instead of the TrUST headquarters around him.

I hope I get to see this place again someday - maybe I'll even have something to offer them myself by then!

He walked them back out the way they had come in, passing the moving statues without incident, they didn't even seem to react to their passing. He navigated them through the very clean and organized streets of Alphyns, while Deltrot had been a regular pattern, a sort of series of concentric pentagons with every thing arranged into blocks, Alphyns didn't follow that linear method, instead all the roads curved and flowed into each other, which made it a bit more confusing to navigate while also being calming to actually walk down.

The Blackwater took it all in, fascinated at how the feel and flow of the city seemed streamlined.  It was more like they were drifting down a river than walking down a street; Dax felt a bit like an errant leaf, sliding along a lazy creek, headed toward who knew what future.

Troy is so incredible... why in the wide, wide world of Equestria would Princess Celestia ever NOT want her ponies to see all this wonder?

Outwardly, it was almost as if his head was attached by ball-bearings, the way it swiveled on his neck to catch as much of the scenery as possible.  There would be no hiding the fact he was definitely a tourist, yet the honest look of wonder on his face would send all but the hardest hearts into a smile.

"Heya fellers, lookin to get somewheres out on the dunes?"

Dax, head full of childlike wonder, turned and was about to speak to the minotaur, when Illiad beat him to the proverbial punch.

"Eyessir, me an my buddy here goin ta outpost, ya tink we could hitch a ride?"

"Ahem, Indeed my good sir, my chariots are among the finest in Troy and the very best there is in Alphyns, they'll expedite your journey without any incidents with the local obstacles."

"Ah yes, that sounds quite right, real top shelf if I do say so myself, a real spot on and top notch job Minty."

Dax put on a grin, but one that was a bit worried, as if he was waiting to see where this... strange encounter... was going.

Though it should have been among his first suspicions, Dax had no clue about the nature of this exchange - except that Illiad seemed to know this individual.

"Alright, how'd you know it was me?"

"Who else can maintain that pose? You're the only one I know with the legs to even try to be a minotaur."

Dax's face was as honest as his heart; he was stunned at first, then became all smiles as he realized he was about to meet yet another changeling!  He'd hoped, when writing his first letters to Illiad, that he might have the chance to meet one... but he had no idea he'd be meeting so many, or that they would all be so varied and charming. 

He was delighted at the prospect, even if it did intimidate him a bit with the realization of exactly how many folks in Troy might have been changelings underneath.  Not that he had any issue with such; it was more like his mind was sort-of playing spy games with itself, "who's the changeling" and so forth.

This day alone was worth the entire trip to Dax... and it wasn't even over yet!

"Anyway, this is Dax, if you haven't heard of him already."

H-heard of me already!?  Wait, why would he have-

"The one that saved Mystic?  An honor to meet you, I'm Mounty, m n t y."

-... oh.  Yeah.  That's right...

Dax blushed hotly.

"An honor?  Uhm, heh, I dunno about that - I mean, I'm really not that big of a deal..."

He smiled his sheepish grin, but gladly took the extended limb and shook.

"... but thank you.  It's a pleasure to meet you too!"

He looked over at the Empath, his little heart alight with simple joy.  "Illiad, who DON'T you know around here?  I guess this is sorta how it felt for you at the quarry, hunh?"

Turning back to face Mnty, "I've already met a number of changelings, and I've been figuring out that each one's different in their own ways... and with what Illiad said, I get the feeling you're no exception to that.  Your legs look quite powerful - is that your specialty?  If so, I'll bet you can run pretty fast, right?"

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

Illiad chuckled, "I honestly don't know most of the ponies, nor the changelings, I just know the ones that cross my path enough, this guy" he gestured to Mnty, "I run into him every time I head out to the telescope."

Mnty smiled at the complement, showing off his fangs, "Yeah, these legs are more for strength than speed, the rest of my 'coon mates went for earth ponies, but I got just enough to be the only minotaur." he raised himself back up for emphasis, "In a way it is a sort of special ability for me."

With another roll of fire he reverted to his minotaur disguise. "Now you two need a cart to get you out there right?" He made an odd series of gestures with his hand, and one of the carts started moving, leaving the line of others to move to the center of the road before lowering itself downward so that they could actually board it. Atop it were a pair of comfortable looking seats.

Illiad lept up and simply laid himself prone on the platform rather than take a seat, "Thanks Mounty, I owe you one. At the concert."

Mounty waited for Dax to board and get comfortable before making another series of gestures and tossing Illiad a box with a rune on it. "You know the drill, have a great time!"

(You can add what you will)

The cart started into motion very smoothly, the platform practically didn't shake at all as it moved towards the wall exit, the doors opening automatically as they approached, allowing them access to the dunes without.

Outside the city there was a slight chill to the air, the moon high in the sky. The cart followed a path lit periodically by magical torches. In the far distance there was a dome perched atop a cylinder.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/14/2019 at 11:07 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"Yeah, these legs are more for strength than speed, the rest of my 'coon mates went for earth ponies, but I got just enough to be the only minotaur."

Coon mates?  Oh... he means CO-coon; heh, that's kinda cool.  Interesting to hear changeling slang terms.

"Now you two need a cart to get you out there, right?" He made an odd series of gestures with his hand, and one of the carts started moving, leaving the line of others to move to the center of the road before lowering itself downward so that they could actually board it.

Dax watched the gestures with interest.  He'd have to remember to ask Illiad later about that, when they had time to themselves again.  He wondered if it was just the signal to move things along, or if it was some sort of trade-sign language; it did seem like Troy was miles ahead of Equestria, and he wouldn't put it past such a nation to have such methods of communication.

"Thanks Mounty, I owe you one. At the concert."

Mounty waited for Dax to board and get comfortable before making another series of gestures and tossing Illiad a box with a rune on it. "You know the drill, have a great time!"

At the concert?  Is he going too?

The Blackwater watched as they made their way out, then became transfixed by the sight of the moon and stars.  His eyes leapt from constellation to constellation, a smile filling his muzzle with wonder as he simply enjoyed the sight of the stars... and savored the idea of seeing more when they reached their destination.

"Illiad, I've gotta say that from what I've seen and the ponies I've met, I'm kinda wondering... why did you keep insisting that you didn't have many friends?  I mean, in just the past few days, I've met a number of folks who enjoy your company, or at least seem to.  And even if you don't know someone well, they still seem to respect and acknowledge you kindly.  Your reputation proceeds you, and it's obvious that it's a good one - so, why do you speak like... well..." he blushed a tad, "... like I do, sometimes?  Why do you... y'know... shortsheet yourself, so to speak?"

His grin was a bit sheepish, but openly kind.  "I mean, humility I understand... but come on.  You have quite a few friends - obviously, folks care about you; you should give yourself more credit."

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

Illiad looked pensive at the question, while the cart seemed to almost glide across the path it followed. The stars growing ever brighter and more numerous the further they got from town.

He turned to look at Dax, "That's a complicated question, The short of it is that I don't have many friends, at least by my definition of friends." He looked out at the stars above them, "To me, a friend is someone I can confide in, someone I can trust and be open with. Anyone outside of that, while friendly, are not friends but merely acquaintances." He shrugged, "On the other side I suppose I don't have many friends because I don't want many friends." he shuddered at a thought, but still looked at the stars, "Fewer broken promises that way."

Illiad took a deep breath, "When I accept a friend, I promise myself I would never do anything to hurt them. But it's a promise I know I can't keep."

He looked back over at Dax, "At least I like to tell myself that, really I suppose the incident has quite a bit to do with it all."

In the distance they could see the silhouette of the observatory coming into view, a giant dome atop a short tower on a large flat area, a number of smaller telescopes dotted balconies around the dome.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2019 at 12:43 AM, Illiad Easle said:

"That's a complicated question, The short of it is that I don't have many friends, at least by my definition of friends.  To me, a friend is someone I can confide in, someone I can trust and be open with. Anyone outside of that, while friendly, are not friends but merely acquaintances."

Dax pondered that a moment.  I get it, I do... but that sounds like a kinda lonely definition.

"On the other side I suppose I don't have many friends because I don't want many friends.  Fewer broken promises that way."

The Blackwater stallion lifted an eyebrow... then, after a moment of self-reflection, he presented Illiad with a sympathetic look.  "I... get that.  It's really hard to trust someone when you've been hurt over and over again; a breach of trust is one of the hardest things to overcome."

He then gave Illiad a small grin.  "But I hope it hasn't soured you from trying - after all, letting your fears control your actions isn't how you should handle it.  Risks are required.  Heck, I was scared to death to actually meet you; I only had our correspondence to work with, and you seemed okay... but until I met you muzzle to muzzle, I really hadn't  clue as to what this would be like.  But I was really trying NOT to let my past experiences keep me from making a friend."

"But I get it.  Fewer ways to get hurt, yeah..."

He then looked at his dear friend.  "Just remember; the only limits you'll ever really, truly have are the ones you set upon yourself.  Personally, I think everyone could use a friend like you, Illiad."

"When I accept a friend, I promise myself I would never do anything to hurt them. But it's a promise I know I can't keep."

"No, you don't know that."  Dax looked serious.  "NO ONE knows that.  You can't go through Life, worrying about who you'll hurt - THAT could drive you CRAZY.  I know you - at least, I feel like I do, well enough - and I think that line of thinking will make you batty, if you keep telling yourself that.  All anyone can do is just... try.  We try not to hurt each other, but since no o-... uhm, since there aren't many folks in Equestria who can read minds, there's not much of a way to tell if what you do will help or harm someone."

"But again, don't let it consume who you are, Illiad - don't get so caught up in protecting the world from big, mean ol' YOU that you forget it likes you, too.  I'm not saying 'be foolish'; I'm simply telling you to remember to throw some 'chance' in there will all that 'protection' stuff, okay?"

The smile he gave his friend was nothing but pure kindness.

"At least I like to tell myself that, really I suppose the incident has quite a bit to do with it all."

Dax's ears lowered a bit, but he kept the smile on his face.

"And yet, here you are.  The incident may have helped define you... but don't let it consume you.  You're Illiad-freaking-Easle!  You're a protector!  You can practically taste other's emotions!  You'd go through Tartarus or high water for a true, true friend!  And you're so smart!  ALL this stuff is you, Illiad! He grinned.

"Hey... you pulled MY depressive butt out of the fire - my turn now, okay?  So, no more sad and stoic, okay?"  He pointed at the Observatory, "We're here to see some good friends - up close and personal - and we should BOTH be exited as all get-out over this... well, at least I think I should be!  C'mon - no time like the present to try to chipper up, yeah?"

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

Illiad sighed, but it was more in a contemplative way over what Dax had said, he turned towards him with a slight, but genuine smile, "I appreciate that, thank you."

7 hours ago, Randimaxis said:

"We're here to see some good friends - up close and personal - and we should BOTH be exited as all get-out over this... well, at least I think I should be!  C'mon - no time like the present to try to chipper up, yeah?"

Illiad looked momentarily confused, then his expression brightened considerably, "Oh yes, that's right! I can't believe I forgot!" He stood up, and wobbled slightly at the motion of the cart below them, but quickly steadied himself. "I don't know if I mentioned it already, but there is a big surprise here for you that I'm sure you're going to love." The look on his face made it clear that he was not going to spill the secret.

It wasn't long before the cart came to a stop next to a pair of doors to the observatory, it lowered to the ground to let them off, before becoming as still as the stone it was made of. Illiad tucked the box he had been given into his robes as he gestured inside.

The observatory now towered over them, a dark beacon of science to the stars. It was very quiet, though a fain whirring like many gears could be heard as one of the larger telescopes moved.

Through the doors there was a small reception area, posters for a number of different exhibits they did seasonally as well as posters for classes hosted by TrUST for those wanting to become astronomers that were held here on certain nights. It seemed the observatory doubled as an academy on the stars. Illiad went up to the receptionist, who seemed rather disenchanted by the job, especially as he seemed to be arguing with a small griffon who's robes bore the symbol of TrUST, "How can the grand telescope be reserved? No one reserves the telescope! Can't you tell them to use another one? TrUST takes priority doesn't it?" the griffon spoke with a heavy accent of the northern kingdoms(he sounds like Dexter from Dexter's lab) The receptionist pony simply shrugged, "Sorry, they've got the clearance, it says specifically in the reservation that only the Consul could cancel this reservation."

The griffon seemed dissatisfied, but didn't push the issue, instead turned to go down one of the hallways with a file full of papers tucked under its wing.

The receptionist perked up as Illiad came up, "Hi there! Welcome to the Alphyns observatory, as you may have overheard, the grand telescope has been reserved, but we'd be happy to accommodate you with another one."

Illiad nodded, "That reservation, it's for one I Easle and a certain other correct?"

The receptionist looked surprised, then checked the papers before him, before looking up, "Why yes, It's an honor sir, but I'll still have to request some ID, can't have a changeling steal your spot right?"

Illiad passed over a document from his robes, "Has the certain other already arrived?"

The receptionist returned the paper to Illiad with a nod, "She said you'd be along shortly, and was getting things ready last I checked. I'm sure you know the way Mr. Easle."

With that Illiad led the way, motioning for Dax to follow, as he followed the arrows that said 'Grand Telescope'.

Soon enough they were in front of the doors to the telescope, a number of plaques lined the hall to get there, each with pictures and information about the telescope, how it was built, and some of the first starscapes it had been used to record. In all it was a magnificent work of engineering, as far as the plaques said.

There was a faint humming coming from the other side of the doors, one Dax might recognize. Illiad simply smiled as he watched Dax for his reaction before he gestured towards the doors, "You first."

Through the doors was a large circular chamber like the plaques had described, a marvelous work of machinery supported a giant telescope mounted to the ceiling of the dome, which turned as the telescope did so that only a small part of the dome had to be open to the outside elements. The telescope could even move up and down with a range of nearly 90 degrees. A number of smaller telescopes stood stationary around the edges of the dome and out on a balcony without the dome.

But in the center of it all was the very Princess of the Night. She stood staring in the same direction as the giant telescope, away from the doors Dax had entered from, allowing him a moment to watch.

2 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

"Oh yes, that's right! I can't believe I forgot!  I don't know if I mentioned it already, but there is a big surprise here for you that I'm sure you're going to love."

Dax's grin picked up a notch.  "R-really?  A surprise?"

Normally, surprises aren't exactly very kind to me... but it's a surprise from ILLIAD!  That must mean it's gonna be incredible; I hope it's something I can show off to Silver when I get back!

"Well, as far as surprises go," he said with a smirk, "you're gonna be hard pressed to find anything bigger and better than meeting the Changelings the other day!"

"How can the grand telescope be reserved? No one reserves the telescope! Can't you tell them to use another one? TrUST takes priority doesn't it?" the griffon spoke with a heavy accent of the northern kingdoms.  The receptionist pony simply shrugged, "Sorry, they've got the clearance, it says specifically in the reservation that only the Consul could cancel this reservation."

Dax watched the griffon go his own way, and stared after him a bit.

"Illiad," he said, "after we get a good look... maybe we could... c-could let that griffon have the chance he wanted?  I mean, I kinda feel bad that we're disrupting someone else's work... but, I mean, I guess you'd know better than I would if that would even be feasible?"

He shook his head.  "Maybe when we leave, we could try to find him?"

"Hi there! Welcome to the Alphyns observatory, as you may have overheard, the grand telescope has been reserved, but we'd be happy to accommodate you with another one."

"That reservation, it's for one I. Easle and a certain other correct?"

"Why yes, It's an honor sir, but I'll still have to request some ID, can't have a changeling steal your spot right?"

"Has the certain other already arrived?"

"She said you'd be along shortly, and was getting things ready last I checked. I'm sure you know the way Mr. Easle."

Dax gave his friend a puzzled look.  "Another friend?  Illiad, if I didn't know any better, I'd almost swear you're almost parading all your friends in front of me!  'I don't have many friends', my black, fuzzy flank!"  But there was no malice; he smiled beatifically as he followed along with the Trojan.

Soon enough they were in front of the doors to the telescope, a number of plaques lined the hall to get there, each with pictures and information about the telescope, how it was built, and some of the first starscapes it had been used to record. In all it was a magnificent work of engineering, as far as the plaques said.

Dax looked at every chart, read every plaque and gazed at every picture.

"Wooooooowwwwww... Illiad, this... is... HUGE!  It's incredible; so much history behind it!  I mean, it was built by... a-and it's viewed... and the sheer NUMBER of discoveries its made..."

Dax looked as if he were seriously considering the idea of possibly making the telescope into his betrothed.

"I can hardly WAIT to see it for myself!"

"You first."

Through the doors was a large circular chamber like the plaques had described, a marvelous work of machinery supported a giant telescope mounted to the ceiling of the dome, which turned as the telescope did so that only a small part of the dome had to be open to the outside elements. The telescope could even move up and down with a range of nearly 90 degrees. A number of smaller telescopes stood stationary around the edges of the dome and out on a balcony without the dome.

The stallion's eyes went W-I-D-E as he took in as much of the amazing contraption as he could.  Illiad could feel the awe and wonder pouring from him; he was spellbound by the sheep scope of the thing, and the smile he wore said he was now officially a full believer in the miracles of Troy.

But in the center of it all was the very Princess of the Night. She stood staring in the same direction as the giant telescope, away from the doors Dax had entered from, allowing him a moment to watch.

Dax froze as soon as he laid his wide eyes on Luna.

Two things happened, and it was most certainly something Illiad would take note of:

Externally:

Dax stared a moment, the smile dropping into a look of pure shock... then, slowly, he stepped lightly forward.  He got about five strides from the Princess of the Night before he stopped.  He simply looked at her - his eyes drinking in the entire fact that Princess Luna, THE Princess Luna, was standing right here. 

The observatory was completely forgotten as he blinked a few times, then timidly took a step closer.  His muzzle was poker-faced, and he looked as though he believed that a single word would make her vanish before his eyes.

Internally:

Wha... how... I... this... she...

No.  NO.  This can't can't CAN'T be happening!  I-I-I... I'm NOT WORTHY!  I'm... I-I-I'm... I'm... 

Oh, Dax.  Daxie, Daxie, Daxie... you always wanted to have a chance to speak to her, smile at her... maybe if you felt confident, you'd even try to woo her, but... b-but...

She's... p-perfect...

I don't deserve such perfection.  I never will.  I... I... 

... I... never... will...

... never...

... never...

... never...

Though he appeared simply stunned on the outside, inside he was experiencing his very first heartbreak.  For what it was worth, he showed not a single sign of it... but knowing Dax, Illiad could guess that THIS incident might try to take the place of 'Pink-Slip' on the Blackwater stallion's mental Wall Of Shame.

Unable to speak.  Simply staring.  His heart tearing itself in two... and he just stood there.  His muzzle looked so pleased... but his heart felt so very miserable.  

I'm... afraid... I... this... she's so... I was a fool of a foal to think I... I...

He put on one of his almost-patented sheepish grins.  "Uhm... y-your M-... M-... M... m-m-Majesty?"

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

Princess Luna didn't immediately turn around at Dax's words, though she did stop her humming. "Strange, while we are used to awe in our presence, even inadequacy. Countless times fear has been common," she turned to face Dax, her face a mixture between concern and intrigue, "Only once before hath a stallion had such shame in my presence."

Illiad too looked very concerned at Dax's sudden shift of emotion, and came up to his side, he looked questioningly at Luna, though she shook her head, coming closer to Dax and lowering herself to his level. "We doubt very much that thou hast besmirched thine honor as he." She gave a slight smirk before her concerned demeanor renewed. "What is it that troubleth thee?"

(I imagine that while she acts aloof and serious in public, she likes to be much more personal in private scenarios)

• Brohoof 1

"Strange, while we are used to awe in our presence, even inadequacy. Countless times fear has been common, only once before hath a stallion had such shame in my presence."

... SHE'S AN EMPATH TOO!?!?

A beat, then:

OH NO... if she can read my feelings, then she.... she can... can TELL I... I... I...

Dax sat down hard on the floor.

"We doubt very much that thou hast besmirched thine honor as he.  What is it that troubleth thee?"

She... she HAS to know.  All those dreams... the dances, the picnics, the theatres, the vacations together, the... m-my dreams... she... oh, I just... how do I...

Dax, at that moment, looked over at his friend, Illiad.

Over the past few weeks, the unicorn had corresponded with him.  Had come to meet him.  Had done so very, very much in the quarry.  Had even managed to reach his family.  Illiad might not have realized it, but his presence had done wonders to all that Dax had ever known.  The Trojan had continuously spoken well to him, had nurtured his capacity to think about his emotions, and had granted him a courage he had never before known.

Illiad.  HE wants me to speak, I'm sure of it.  HE isn't even upset with me for this - he's concerned for me.  And he believes in me, I'm sure of it - or he wouldn't have invited her here, with me... to... t-to MEET me.  It almost physically hurts to look at her, but... but...

I have to face this.  I have to make Illiad proud.  I have to SHOW him what he's changed in me.

Dax didn't cry.  He didn't give the weighty sigh he usually gave, and he didn't slouch.  He didn't run away, and he didn't cower in fear.

What he DID do was look up at the lovely Princess... and speak.

"Your Majesty, I... h-have been... I mean, I... I just..."

COURAGE.  He swallowed nervously, took a deep breath, and unleashed a rapid-fire stream of words.

"Your Majesty, I've had an enormous crush on you for a long time, due directly to your being the most beautiful mare I've ever seen in my entire life.  However, I am also a huge fan of your work with the stars, as they've been my only friends for a long time, until Illiad came along - and the very night sky I cherish is the same sky you paint in with the radiant shine of cosmic light.  I am awed by your presence, and I am humbled for being doused in the wake of your exquisite beauty.  However, I have to admit that, seeing you with my own eyes, you are... p-perfect... and I am just a subject in your kingdom; I'm not going to fool myself any longer in thinking that I would ever be able to dedicate myself to one so incredibly perfect... I'm a Blackwater, and though I'm finding my own worth in a number of ways, thanks to Illiad, I am also painfully aware of how... inadequate I would ever be to even consider to lo... lo... to consider to be roman... romant... to consider... t-to consider myself worthy of ever sharing ourselves together.  I can only hope that there shall one day be a stallion who could be the one who would heal and hold your heart... but, in finally seeing your magnificence, I have awoken from my foal's dream, and... a-and... and I'm ashamed that I thought myself capable of... of s-such a thing.  Please, your Majesty - forgive my heart and mind, because I'm certain that pain and sorrow are the LAST things you'd want to experience from any one of your subjects."

The outpouring of Dax's truest heart was awkward... but courageous.  He'd just openly confessed his crush to the one he had eyes for, and at the same time declared himself unworthy of her.  Though his eyes watered up a smidge, he didn't cry - but the sheer weight of embarrassment alone almost felt as if it threatened to burst his heart.

Dax knew he would never be what she needed.  He was ashamed he'd ever thought he would.  But, he was also ready to accept that fact; had this happened before he met Illiad, Dax might have run away crying, screamed in anguish, or even simply passed out on the spot.

As it was, he felt as though the slivers of his heart were pooling at the bottom of his hooves... but he was no longer any sort of coward about it.

After his long, almost run-together confession, he looked down at the floor; he was too ashamed to look the Princess in her beautiful eyes.

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

Luna's laugh was soft, but caring, as she lifted his chin with a hoof, "Thy honesty is... refreshing. As before only one stallion hath born their heart as openly as thee." She lowered her hoof, the kind smile still on her face, "We know of thy dreams of us, and are flattered, however thou dost surmise correctly, our heart belongeth to another not unlike yourself. Thou hast not done wrong in this, thou needest no forgiveness."

She closed her eyes for a moment, Dax could feel a lifting within himself as Luna neutralized his shame. She opened her eyes again, "Already thy heart openeth anew, ready to accept another." She nodded, "Thou wilt treat her well, we are sure."

She tilted her head to the side, a curious expression to her face. "Thou art about as old as he was, perhaps a bit older, and it leaves no doubt in our mind that thou art descended from his work."

She turned to face the sky, gesturing out, "He too loved the stars..."

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/21/2019 at 12:14 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"Thy honesty is... refreshing. As before only one stallion hath born their heart as openly as thee.  We know of thy dreams of us, and are flattered, however thou dost surmise correctly, our heart belongeth to another not unlike yourself. Thou hast not done wrong in this, thou needest no forgiveness."

Crushed.

He had no idea what to say, what to do, what to even think... but he couldn't just stand there.  He had to say... or do... something

But what?  What could he do that wasn't going to be awkward or sad?

"Already thy heart openeth anew, ready to accept another.  Thou wilt treat her well, we are sure."

Dax had no idea where to point his shame-filled eyes, so he simply looked down at the floor.

"Thou art about as old as he was, perhaps a bit older, and it leaves no doubt in our mind that thou art descended from his work."

Part of Dax wanted to ask who... part of Dax remembered Selena's story about Luna and the suitor-turned-slave-then-freed... and part of him was so hurt from his own thoughts, he didn't want to ask who.  

He struggled with the bleak dark spot in his heart, battling against what felt like chains of searing fire, trying to hold himself back from drifting into his typical ocean of depression.

"He too loved the stars..."

The stars... 

Dax, even in the midst of feeling as if he simply wanted the world to swallow him up and bury him as deep as possible, HAD to push through.  He HAD to do his utmost best not to make everyone present as miserable as he felt.  Heck, he had to MAKE himself feel better... or at least force himself to cope with what he was feeling.

Dax stepped forward, slowly making his way toward the massive telescope.  The stars...

"... they... th-they're beautiful; who wouldn't find them... e-e-exquisite..."

The Blackwater shoved HARD against the sour, ugly emotions that were trying to eat him alive.  For strength and courage, he focused on the ONE thing he knew wouldn't have any pain for him.

"I used to have a telescope that had a magical jewel affixed to it - it allowed for magnification to a fine point, and it was enchanted to never require oiling.  Of course, I treasured it completely.  Father had brought it home for me after one of his trips to Los Pegasus.  I couldn't wait to try it out, so I actually took a nap until nightfall."  He chuckled.  

"When I awoke to the night, I rushed from my room and went all the way to the top of the manor's roof.  But, when I got there and looked up... I just stared at the beauty of the night sky.  I was maybe... six summers?... but I held an appreciation and fascination for the wondrous scattering of such glistening, glowing gems in the vast expanse of sky above me..."

Dax looked down and a small grin slowly rolled onto his features as he thought back to that particular night.

"I... a-actually forgot about my new telescope, I was so transfixed by the view.  Eventually, I recalled my present and set it up with the greatest care, making sure that it was safe and secure before I started stargazing.  One look through the eyepiece, though... and that was my night.  For years, I returned to the roof with 'scope in tow, and just marveled at their magic... appreciating them every moment.  I..."

A soft chuckle escaped him.  "I guess I started talking to them right about the time I attempted to go to a public school; it didn't go well, and I got in a fight just for being a Blackwater.  When Mother and Father told me I wouldn't be going back there again, I... well, I'd wanted friends so very, very badly.  It felt like I was trapped in the quarry, and without the chance to go to regular school... well, I just started talking to the stars."

He still gave nopony any eye contact, but the pain in his heart was slowly, methodically being packed away, neatly and carefully.  

"They never answered - I never expected them to, anyway - but I guess I didn't really need answers from them; their presence was enough to keep me company.  I loved staring into the night sky with that 'scope, and spent probably way too many nights up there, just watching those sky diamonds while I told them my troubles, hopes, fears and dreams."

His brow suddenly furrowed, but the amused smile stayed put.  "Then Oglevy broke it."

"He wasn't really ever a careful sort, but he had... curiosity.  He'd seen me frequent the roof, and had watched me going back and forth with the 'scope on my back.  I guess he simply decided he'd see what all the fuss was about.  So, one day, he snuck into my room while I was being tutored and crept away with it.  I hadn't a clue until about dusk, when I went to prepare for the night's viewing.  Naturally, I panicked a bit - and searched nearly the entire manor looking for it."

Closing his eyes, he let out a sigh.  "The roof, of course, was the last place I checked.  Which is where he was.  But no telescope."

Now he looked up at the other two present, and the look on his muzzle was bittersweet.  

"He was bawling his eyes out.  He'd gotten to the roof no problem, and had even figured out how to set it up... but he didn't account for making sure it was steady, and it had fallen off the roof.  He'd tried to catch it, but... h-he just wasn't fast enough.  And I could tell he really, really felt guilty about it.  I... d-did shed a tear or two, but..."

Dax now looked over the awesome telescope, taking in the gears and other intricacies within.

"... but I forgave him.  It'd been the best telescope ever, and one-of-a-kind, as I've never seen another advertised or heard it spoken about.  It was the only one I'd ever known, it'd been one of the best friends I'd ever had... but... Oglevy was devastated.  He knew what it meant to me... and he'd done the wrong thing anyway, costing me one of the best things I'd ever owned.  But, compared to his teary-eyed sobbing, it felt hollow - like I was being unduly mean because of it."

"Regardless, it was two months before I was able to finish building my own to replace the one I'd lost.  Granted, it didn't have any gems or fancy lenses... but, I made it from scratch.   The first time I looked through it, I cried - I hadn't realized just how much I'd missed them.  I mean, yeah, I sat on the roof without it each night and just looked up... but it just felt... impersonal.  Like making friends with someone behind a thick pane of glass.  The 'scope helped me to feel... closer to them."

Dax couldn't - wouldn't - speak about his heartache; it was too much to bear at the moment, so he'd done what his own Father was an expert at - he'd packed it all away inside him to deal with later, and put on the bravest face he could.  It was all he felt he could do - if he tried to address that pain so soon after it first struck, he'd be a weepy mess within seconds.

Please... talk about the stars... not me, not my hurting, not my shame... just... just talk about the stars with me.  Please.

"I... really do want to thank you for putting the stars into the sky for us all; even if no one else appreciates it enough to tell you... I do.  Thank you, your majesty."

He tried on a sheepish grin... but it felt too heavy, so he simply put on a regular grin and shook his head at his own follies.  But the pain in him was down to a dull nub, though the excitement and enthusiasm was now more muted than when they'd first arrived.

Yes, Dax had his heart shattered... but he wasn't going to let it keep him down; Illiad had instilled that in him, and now he was using it to keep him afloat and buoyant in the stormy sea of his heart.  He didn't want to set Illiad nor Luna with any further worry for him, nor did he want them to hurt because of his own pain... so instead, he silenced his tears so he could be sociable, and he lifted himself up out of his despair.

It wasn't perfect... but it was a significant change for him.

@Randimaxis

Both Illiad and Luna had impressed expressions at the end of his speech, Illiad's a bit more obvious than Luna's. Illiad gestured for Luna to continue as he moved to read some of the informational plaques that lined the lower walls of the observatory.

Luna looked upward at the stars through the glass at the top of the observatory's dome, "The stars, they instilled a similar sense of wonder in us when we wast thy age. They were there long before us, and may well continue to shine after our mantel has been passed on." She looked over at Dax, "We assume Easle hath told thee of the stars which aided in our escape? They weren't the only ones."

Her horn glowed brightly as a few distinct stars moved about in the sky, if one hadn't been watching they would be missed entirely.

Her horn stopped glowing as she looked to the sky again, the moved stars forming a new constellation. "Most of the stars thou seest are beyond our power to control. In an effort to further beautify and brighten our night we sought out gems, cloud diamonds, that could shine as bright and lifted them into the sky. In times past we used them to forewarn of impending disasters, but now very few understand their meaning."

She looked sad at this, but looked over at Dax. "We art sure their meaning would not be lost on thee." Her horn glowed again as a small book appeared, it was old and worn, but still in good condition. It bore no title on the cover, save for the silver mark of a star on the black binding. "This is,  a dictionary of sorts. It will explain to thee what the arrangements mean, and where in the sky to look for them." She gingerly passed the book to Dax, then gestured to the giant telescope, "Now, which of all of thy friends is thy favorite? It is time that thou shouldst become better acquainted with them."

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/15/2019 at 5:03 PM, Illiad Easle said:

Her horn glowed brightly as a few distinct stars moved about in the sky, if one hadn't been watching they would be missed entirely.

Dax watched the stars all the time; he knew the very second when something changed, and was awestruck by the sheer POWER behind the magic... and such a casual gesture from the alicorn to produce enough power to move stars... the sight was both fascinating and a tad frightening.  He considered the power of Nightmare Moon, the darkest creature he'd ever known... then his thoughts wandered into making comparisons.

...and I now loosen the dogs of Tartarus...

Dax gave only a slight shiver, refocusing himself - no need to go down that path.  Princesses were more powerful than he'd ever truly contemplated before; he hoped he never saw the likes of anything so powerful - gone wrong - ever again.  Of course, he was certain that, if HE felt that way about power gone awry, then Luna...

Oh, I so bad for her - she must be quietly miserable over what happened, and with what I've been told of the reality of that change... the balance being so far out of control... that she became... and power... balance... oh... ohno... wait...

For the first time ever, Dax glanced lightly over at Illiad Easle... and gave a slight tremble of fear.

No matter WHAT comes, I have to ALWAYS do my best to keep him balanced... because I think I finally have a clue as to what the alternative could possibly be... and it scares me to my very soul.  But don't worry, my friend, he thought, I'll be there for you when nopony - no ANYONE - will brave it.  If she had known such a friend, she would have possibly had the help she'd needed to maintain the balance, Celestia or no.  She was a living example of what might happen when one being with such power falls from grace, alone.

His heart took a steely stance within him, and he silently made the most important promise he felt he'd ever made...

Illiad would NEVER know that feeling, as long as this humble Earth Pony draws breath, I swear it.

"Wow... th-that's... woooooow..." was all he managed to say aloud.

Her horn stopped glowing as she looked to the sky again, the moved stars forming a new constellation.

He wondered what she'd call this one; he simply assumed she'd named them all.

"Most of the stars thou seest are beyond our power to control. In an effort to further beautify and brighten our night we sought out gems, cloud diamonds, that could shine as bright and lifted them into the sky. In times past we used them to forewarn of impending disasters, but now very few understand their meaning."

Dax nodded.  "But it's not lost entirely, Your Majesty - think about the fact that farmers still use it to tell the seasons apart, and many find it more reliable than a calendar.  Plus, Winter Wrap-Up is usually precluded by the appearance of Persepegasus in the northwestern sky... a-at least, from my rooftop in the Crystal Mountains, it does.  Maybe we aren't able to, uhm... 'scrye'?... the heavens like unicorns used to... b-but the art is still alive in our genetic memories.  We may not know it anymore... but we still can feel it."

He grinned, genuinely - he remembered the word 'scrye'!

"We art sure their meaning would not be lost on thee."

Her horn glowed again as a small book appeared, it was old and worn, but still in good condition. It bore no title on the cover, save for the silver mark of a star on the black binding.

BOOK!  Dax's gaze grew sharp and attentive, his eyes locked on the tome.

"This is,  a dictionary of sorts. It will explain to thee what the arrangements mean, and where in the sky to look for them."

There it was.  Right there.

For much of his literate life (which was most of it), Dax had fallen in with the dreamers in the world, and had naturally had his own little dreams and fantasies.  Like the one where he would find a doorway to another world, and would have a place to go whenever he felt miserable... or the one where he acted gallantly and saved the coincidentally dark-coated Princess from the evil wizard from using a mysterious map located within a musty tome...

But today, he was living one.  The one where he would find and learn a lost knowledge, one that was sorely missed and highly respected.  An archivist's dream.

The surprise that filled his features was evident, and his mind raced with the idea that he would be so worthy to receive such a gift! 

"I... I... th-th-thank you, Your Majesty.  I... don't think words exist that can really describe what an honor this is... I..."

He then looked the Night Princess directly in the eye.  "I promise, I'll learn everything this book can tell me.  I'm just..."  The steely look faltered, and his sheepishness shone through.  "... y-yeah.  Thank you - this knowledge is in good hooves."

"Now, which of all of thy friends is thy favorite? It is time that thou shouldst become better acquainted with them."

Dax gave a soft shake of his head and a half-grin.  "That's not fair - they're all special, in their own way.  But, if you don't mind me asking about a few different dwarf stars, a black hole, maybe some clusters?  May I ask about stars like Betelgeuse, or the Horsehead Nebula?  What about that strange appearance over in SW-209-J6.724?  I mean, it's HUGE - I'm sure you know which one I mean, right?"

Dax wasn't interested in the simple aspects - this little guy knew his stuff!

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

On 7/9/2019 at 2:07 PM, Randimaxis said:

Maybe we aren't able to, uhm... 'scrye'?... the heavens like unicorns used to... b-but the art is still alive in our genetic memories.  We may not know it anymore... but we still can feel it."

Princess Luna rolled her eyes a bit at that comment, "The unicorns hardly cared for the stars, they were to busy looking down to even care. It was the earth ponies like thee that truly cared. As thou sayest, it was the farmers who looked up to see the change of the seasons, to know when to sow and when to reap."

She looked quite pleased with Dax's response to being given the book, "We art sure that thou wilt treat it with the utmost respect, it will be nice to know for sure that someone is reading what we write, instead of simply hoping that it was passed down, though we are sure that at least some of the elder families have treasured the knowledge."

On 7/9/2019 at 2:07 PM, Randimaxis said:

May I ask about stars like Betelgeuse, or the Horsehead Nebula?  What about that strange appearance over in SW-209-J6.724?  I mean, it's HUGE - I'm sure you know which one I mean, right?"

Luna looked confused for a moment, then sighed. "Thou forgetest that we have been away for so long. While we named many of the patterns before, the task fell to astronomers in the time we were away, and as of yet we still have not caught up with all the new names they have been given. Just as the language of the stars has faded, so to have the names we knew of the stars. As well as these, numbers, thou usest."

With a slight smile she gestured towards the large telescope as she began to approach the mechanism to operate it. "Come. Thou wilt have to show us what thou meanest, so that we may correlate our past with the present terminology. In a way, we will teach each other this night, a mixture of new and forgotten knowledge if thou wilt."

By the slightly mischievous look Luna had, it was hard to tell if she truly didn't know what stars the names referred to, or if she were simply feigning ignorance in Dax's favor. Either way, it was clear she wanted him to speak more on this subject he so dearly loved.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/14/2019 at 2:32 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"Thou forgetest that we have been away for so long. While we named many of the patterns before, the task fell to astronomers in the time we were away, and as of yet we still have not caught up with all the new names they have been given. Just as the language of the stars has faded, so to have the names we knew of the stars. As well as these, numbers, thou usest."

Duuuuuuh, he grumbled to himself.  She'd have been so busy with everything else, of course things would have changed after her exile - and she's actually asking ME to show HER?

On 7/14/2019 at 2:32 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"Come. Thou wilt have to show us what thou meanest, so that we may correlate our past with the present terminology. In a way, we will teach each other this night, a mixture of new and forgotten knowledge if thou wilt."

Dax nodded, the look on his muzzle one of both reverence and eagerness.  He trotted over to the telescope, examining the many wheels, dials and switches meant to move it about.  He tested a few, noting what they moved and where, before he looked through the scope itself.

That's where he froze.

Daxter Blackwater had always been an avid fan of the stars, since first paying attention to them.  He'd seen them numerous times, through the lenses of two different telescopes, and had always assumed that what he'd seen had been wondrous and incredible.  That those heavenly bodies were eloquent, subdued and bright, and that he'd seen the best angles and views that the 'scopes had to give.

The view through the massive telescope literally dwarfed the sight from his own.  The detail was astounding, and he found that it almost seemed as if the huge viewer had an unlimited range, as he kept zooming his view in, only to find ever more stars - some he'd never witnessed with his own eyes before!  He was transfixed for a few good moments before realizing there was still someone waiting on him.

"OH!  Uhm... y-yeah - here!  THIS one..."

He focused the lens as if he were a professional at this... and honestly, he might qualify as one... and locked the view onto a massive cloud of plasma surrounding a dot of pure, cold blackness.  He made sure he was seeing the right thing, then stepped back and gestured to the Princess.

"Okay, I've been watching this phenomenon for a few weeks now, though I'm sure it was there long before I noticed it.  It seems like the plasma cloud would be caught in that darkness, but... it continues to expand outward.  I've even been measuring it myself.  In three months, that cloud has grown almost twice its' size - and last I checked, that's highly improbable.  Not impossible, mind you," he grinned, "but highly unlikely.  I was wondering if you knew anything about it?"

He gave Illiad a glance that relayed his enthusiasm.

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

Luna's horn gave off a faint glow, then a beam of light extended from the eyepiece, expanding to form an image of what the telescope showed without having to squint through it. It wasn't as high quality, but they could at least both see it at the same time. "Interesting... It appears much like a dead star, but this expansion thou notest is intriguing. Perhaps it only recently perished? Then this cloud would be the remnants of it, a sort of ghost."

She looked over at Dax, "We would appreciate if though wouldst continue to study this phenomenon. When we return to Canterlot we will review the old charts for the area, we expect that there used to be a star there."

Illiad had made his way to the upper area of the observatory floor, and had been looking through one of the smaller telescopes when Dax looked for him, he turned to look over the balcony railing when he felt Dax's enthusiasm, giving him a look of approval as he motioned for Dax to continue.

"Now," Luna stirred from her thoughts, "We think thou wouldst enjoy to see this." With a glow of her horn she set the telescope in motion, operating some of the larger mechanisms in the process to drastically turn and angle the telescope until it pointed right at the moon. "It's not full, but we should still see..." she peered directly into the eyepiece as she focused it in. "Huzzah!" She stood back with a pleased grin, restoring the image she had projected the first time:

It looked to be the surface of the moon, only in much greater detail than Dax had ever seen it before, it was faint, but there was the faint silhouette of a pony there in the dust, further there were hoofprints leading away from it, and walking all over.

"Well? What thinkest thou?"

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/18/2019 at 12:43 AM, Illiad Easle said:

"Interesting... It appears much like a dead star, but this expansion thou notest is intriguing. Perhaps it only recently perished? Then this cloud would be the remnants of it, a sort of ghost.  We would appreciate if though wouldst continue to study this phenomenon. When we return to Canterlot we will review the old charts for the area, we expect that there used to be a star there."

Dax nodded, the look on his muzzle spoke of the level of seriousness he was taking this task with.

On 9/18/2019 at 12:43 AM, Illiad Easle said:

"Now, we think thou wouldst enjoy to see this."

He gazed through the massive telescope, and his eyes went wide with surprise as he realized what it was he was looking at.  He followed a few of the paths for a moment, simply taking in which ways they wandered, then stepped back and looked at Luna with something akin to concern in his eyes.

"It... looks like where you first came to be in exile.  And I mean that as in, landed there.  It's..." he mentally searched for the word, "bittersweet, I suppose.  It's a symbol that proves you'd been there in the first place, but... b-but doubtless, it's also a reminder of that time, and maybe even the emotions within you that you were feeling on that day.  It's most certainly a historic thing to see... especially because I can't actually GO to the Moon... but it's also a sight that can shake a pony to their very soul."

He gave Luna a slight glance before returning to the eyepiece to stare again.  "But I guess, if YOU have gotten through those emotions, your Majesty, then I'm certain I can, too.  After all, the past might hurt, but..."

He took a deep breath, calming himself.  "But if we can use that past to help define a better future, then we should do so at every opportunity."

After this statement, he was wondering what would happen next - the princess was more than he'd ever imagined, and yet... this informal situation had placed her in more of a humble light.  Granted, he could still feel the sting of the shards of broken heart he held within, but they were no longer things that would be a focus for him.  It was like the pain of being forced to stop sucking your hooves; it would take time to recover fully, but recovery was most certainly possible.

Besides, wasn't there a certain changeling mare that was taking up room in his heart right now?  

He still felt a bit awkward, hanging around a crush who'd, well... crushed him... but if he wanted to grow up at all, he would have to start with this, he reckoned.  And honestly, Luna was intelligent enough to encourage him to converse on a more intellectual level - something that wasn't exactly an everyday thing in a gem quarry.  He was doing his utmost best to simply start seeing the regal princess as her own person, instead of the trappings of royalty or an active imagination.  

She's simply a pony - an alicorn, true - but just a pony under all that.  And here she is, trying to converse and make friends... with me.  With everything else, I'm not sure why she even sees me as any kind of important, but here she is, treating me like a personal friend instead of a subject.  Wow.

Dax gave a slight grin.  "I really do appreciate your time here, coming to see Illiad while I'm in Troy with him.  You didn't have to interrupt your probably busy schedule to come out here... or, m-maybe you did, because you had to speak to Illiad about..." he glanced around quickly, "...things.  But still, even as remote and isolated as the Blackwater Quarry is, I'm glad I got to meet you personally, your Majesty."

I wish I would've NOT made such a scene, but what's done is done - and for what it's worth, it doesn't seem to be held against me.  Thank Luna for small fav-... oh...

Now his small grin blossomed into a full smile.  "Thank you, your Majesty.  For small favors like this."

@Sixamidnar

10 hours ago, Sixamidnar said:

"But if we can use that past to help define a better future, then we should do so at every opportunity."

Luna nodded sagely, ultimately pleased by Dax's reaction. "Thou speakest wise words. However, we were... a very different pony then. Normally such a feat, to actually set hoof on the moon, would have brought us quite the sense of triumph. To finally be so close to the stars..." she looked wistful. "Alas, the circumstances that caused it all, left us with nothing but anger and shame for our time there. Not a thought towards the wonder it was until it was far too late."

She looked back up at the moon without the telescope. "Perhaps one day some creature will return there, hopefully under more favorable circumstances, such that the wonder may truly be experienced."

She seemed contemplative as Dax thought on his own quanderies, a slight hint of amusement coming to her face as Dax thought on Oracle.

10 hours ago, Sixamidnar said:

"Thank you, your Majesty.  For small favors like this."

Luna looked over with a smile, stirred from her pondering. "We shouldst be thanking thee, few there are who tolerate our presence, fewer still who enjoy it. Nonetheless, we have yet to meet a creature that wasn't important, and thou art no exception."

She looked over at Illiad, who had begun to make his way back down to them. "Thou art correct however, there is a certain matter we must discuss with thy friend. We shan't be but a moment."

With that she would move to intercept Illiad, the two talking in hushed tones towards one of the walls.

On 10/24/2019 at 8:05 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"Perhaps one day some creature will return there, hopefully under more favorable circumstances, such that the wonder may truly be experienced."

And when they discover the sight of where you first came to land, they'll probably make it a sacred site, he thought idly.

"We shouldst be thanking thee, few there are who tolerate our presence, fewer still who enjoy it. Nonetheless, we have yet to meet a creature that wasn't important, and thou art no exception."

Important... am I important?  Internally, he shrugged.  I don't feel like I am, but that's okay, I guess.  I can at least be happy knowing others think I am.

"Your Majesty, I have no idea why anyone wouldn't enjoy talking with you.  I mean, y-yeah... they might still be thinking of the worst of you, but if they still can't stand you after some time just talking with you, then that just means they need to take the burr out of their butts."  He grinned.  "A good friend helped me learn that," he glanced over towards Illiad, "and also taught me not to put too much stock into what folks say.  If they're smart, people will pay more attention to what you actually do, instead of what rumours say you do."

Did... d-did I  just say 'butts' to a PRINCESS!?

Nonetheless, he didn't flinch or turn away; he meant what he'd said... even if he felt embarrassed to that kind of language in front of royalty; his Mother's influence was glaringly obvious.

She looked over at Illiad, who had begun to make his way back down to them.

"Thou art correct however, there is a certain matter we must discuss with thy friend. We shan't be but a moment."

Dax nodded, standing there respectfully as the two of them moved away... but the moment they weren't looking at him, he practically dove for the telescope's eyepiece!

Paying attention only to the vastness of space, he eagerly scanned the heavens for whatever he could visibly see; he was so practiced with his own stargazing that he needed no physical map; the one in his head worked nicely.  However, with the massive instrument he was able to see so much farther than he'd ever witnesses before, even from his old telescope (which had been very well-made).  He spent the next few minutes just viewing, adjusting, marveling and repeating, lost in the myriad cosmos that was currently holding his imagination for ransom.

I could do this for years, he mused with an almost reverent wonder.

• Brohoof 1

@Sixamidnar

Illiad had pulled his diamond out of his robes and passed it to Luna after they had been speaking for several moments, before making his way over to watch Dax with a somewhat amused expression on his face, not saying anything as he let Dax enjoy himself to the fullest.

After Luna had spent a few minutes simply sitting with the diamond in her magic she returned it to Illiad before making her way over to Dax with a kind smile. "With sorrow we must bid thee farewell young Dax, we hope to meet thee again in the future, but until then we anxiously await thy correspondence." She seemed to hesitate for a moment before gently brushing her wing across his back. "Thou hast a kind heart, she is quite lucky to have caught it."

With that cryptic message and a sly smile she began to make her way out of the observatory.

Illiad seemed as well to be getting ready to go, "We can stay a few more minutes, but I get the impression there are others who want to use the observatory before the sun comes up."

• 1 month later...
On 10/26/2019 at 2:00 AM, Illiad Easle said:

"With sorrow we must bid thee farewell young Dax, we hope to meet thee again in the future, but until then we anxiously await thy correspondence."

Dax would most certainly write - every week, since he knew she enjoyed it.  When he'd come into this observatory, he'd harbored a strong crush toward the Night Princess that he'd fostered for quite some time.  Now, he was a stallion who'd been woken up from his dreams of her, and had gotten the opportunity to get to know her as a pony, not just some unattainable royal mare who he'd thought he'd been perfect for.  Granted, it had hurt - and might for some time yet - but he would weather it, and he would surpass it eventually.

"It's been absolutely wonderful to have met you, Your Highness... a-and sorry about... well, earlier..." he stopped, took a breath, and continued undaunted, "but I hope I can still be useful with the recharting process!  And I'll read the book as soon as I get home!  And... and..."

He stopped, took a breath, and smiled calmly.  "And just... thank you.  For all you do, for everyone - thank you."

"Thou hast a kind heart, she is quite lucky to have caught it."

He gave a shiver when her wing crossed his back... but he smiled, nonetheless.  

"Goodbye, your highness... and thank you for coming!"

Beauty like that isn't for you, Dax - she has a life of her own, and it holds nothing for your heart.  But she could still use a friend...

He turned to look at Illiad as he made his way back to the telescope.  And at least my friend has something special with her - and that means she has something special, even if it isn't romance.

"We can stay a few more minutes, but I get the impression there are others who want to use the observatory before the sun comes up."

"Actually," Dax said as Illiad drew close, "I was wondering if we could possibly find that griffon from earlier; I'm sure he'd want to use it, and it would be a good show on our part, right?"

• Brohoof 1