Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private A Cultural Exchange 1x1 with Randimaxis

Illiad Easle

On 1/18/2020 at 2:39 AM, Illiad Easle said:

"I'm glad to hear that Dax has managed to find a friend in you, You do well as an example of both Troy and Archback to Equestria."

Dax grinned; he was glad Wind was getting the attention, and knew Illiad was just as pleased to meet others as he himself was.

"Welcome, to the Trojan United Science Trust. Future Scientists, Heroes, Olympians, you're here because you are the future of Equis. I'm Clave Bunsen, I run the place."

He nudged Wind.  "I met him earlier; he's just as gung-ho about his work offstage as he is onstage!  Seemed really busy, though."

"Thank you sir, now... if you have any questions about TrUST as a whole, now is the time to ask."

The Blackwater turned to the young pegasus again.  "Hey, do you think they have some sort of program that might let you work with your brother directly?  It might be worth it to ask!"

The entire experience had left Dax with a feeling that, were he to choose, he'd want to work with TrUST in the future; even if he had to take on the family business, it didn't mean the two had to be mutually exclusive, right?  But past that, he wasn't even sure if he could come up with anything on his own to prove he had what it took.  Still... dreams are dreams, and as it was recently proven to him, dreams aren't always a good basis for reality.

Dax motioned for Wind to speak up, hoping they had a program that could bring the two brothers closer together - if he'd have had a chance to work alongside Harcourt, he'd have jumped at it.  Maybe Wind felt the same way?

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

On 1/24/2020 at 12:38 PM, Randimaxis said:

"I met him earlier; he's just as gung-ho about his work offstage as he is onstage!  Seemed really busy, though."

Wind nodded, "My brother told me about him, says he's like that all the time, super passionate about everything. He says sometimes his ideas are rather strange, but more often than not they lead to some amazing discoveries. Probably why he's in charge."

On 1/24/2020 at 12:38 PM, Randimaxis said:

Hey, do you think they have some sort of program that might let you work with your brother directly? 

Wind smiled, but with a bit of disappointment, "They do of course. They've got a number of student researcher positions, but those are reserved for those studying at the university given how many want to work here, So I can't join in just yet. But once I get in there my brother says I'll be a shoe-in here."

Surprisingly there weren't many questions from the student group, so the presenter continued. "Alright then, we at TrUST hope you all had an inspirational time here. Follow the lines to the exit and remember, the future starts with you!"

With that the group started getting up to follow the teacher and their chaperones back out of the room, then down a short hallway back out to the front area where Dax and Illiad had first encountered the tour group. The teacher seemed surprised at how late it had gotten, the sun already starting to peak up over the walls of the city. "Well Mr. Easle, it seems we won't have time for your commentary at the moment, but I do hope you'll be able to come by some other time?"

Illiad nodded, "Indeed, we've got a train to catch right about now anyway. I'll have Consular Hooves or one of his secretaries get in touch with you to sort something out. Regardless I'm glad we were able to join in and help out."

Wind turned to follow the rest of the class as they made their way out, but turned back to bid farewell to Dax, "I'll write to you once I get home, so you may have a letter waiting for you when you get back!"

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2020 at 10:17 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"They do of course. They've got a number of student researcher positions, but those are reserved for those studying at the university given how many want to work here, So I can't join in just yet. But once I get in there my brother says I'll be a shoe-in here."

"With what I've seen, you'll be right next to him - you've got a world of potential, and I'm sure you can do it!"

Dax had experienced what it was like to want to live up to a big brother's expectations; he hoped Wind would achieve everything he wanted to, and sent up a silent hope for just such a thing.  The encouragement part?  THAT, he got from Illiad.

On 1/25/2020 at 10:17 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"I'll write to you once I get home, so you may have a letter waiting for you when you get back!"

Dax smiled broadly.  "Awesome!  And you'll have a reply soon after I get there!  It was great meeting you, Wind!"

Okay, so... Princess Luna, Illiad, and Wind... who, if what I started to hear from his teacher was any indicator, might actually go by the FULL name of Tail Wind.  If so, he's gonna be working on planes before he knows it!

The Blackwater made his way over to Illiad with a grin on his muzzle.  "Illiad, thanks for bringing me here for the tour - it was nifty to see things a bit more closely than last time, and I made a new friend in the process!  And learning is its' own fun!"  He gave another look back at the other students... and though there was a slight pang of yearning, as he'd only known a year of public schooling, he was glad to have had the opportunty to get a glimpse of what it was like to be a part of a class.

A glane at the windows told Dax the sun was coming up.  "It's getting light out... we have to go back, don't we?  I wish the night was longer, sometimes; it feels like there's so much more to do, and yet I can almost feel time slipping away from me.  I'll hate to leave Troy when I do, but we have to see if we can fit as much as possible into the trip as we can!"

"Oh," he stopped short, "I almost forgot - Wind said they mentioned us on that radio-thing; could we maybe go back to that station place tomorrow?  I mean, if there's no other plans, that is.  And I'm STILL all up for making dinner for you and your friends at least once!"

Dax Blackwater - an adolescent on his way to adulthood, with all the charm of a well-mannered colt.  

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

12 hours ago, Randimaxis said:

and I made a new friend in the process!  And learning is its' own fun!" 

Illiad nodded with a smile, "Of course! I'm glad it was able to work out so smoothly after our rather quick pass through earlier."

I wish the night was longer, sometimes;

Illiad smirked at that, "Now you're talking like a true Trojan, I also hope we can fill the trip to the brim with memories."

could we maybe go back to that station place tomorrow?

Illiad thought about that, "Hmm, if I remember correctly we've got the concert tomorrow, and I imagine the events surrounding that will take most if not all night... but I think the day after something could be arraigned. Glen mentioned wanting to take us out on the dunes that day, so it may work out that you could cook for us then."

Illiad led the way back out of the city the way they came, they weren't the only ones headed for the train, and quite a few of those gathered on the platform got on their train to Deltrot, "There's not much housing in Alphyns," Illiad explained, "So a bunch of creatures work here, but live in the nearby cities of Deltrot and Troy." The ride back to Deltrot, and in fact their full journey back to Illiad's house was rather uneventful, unless Dax had a question. 

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

"Hmm, if I remember correctly we've got the concert tomorrow, and I imagine the events surrounding that will take most if not all night... but I think the day after something could be arraigned. Glen mentioned wanting to take us out on the dunes that day, so it may work out that you could cook for us then."

"The concert... I'm really looking forward to it - I've never been to one before!"  Dax gave a slight giggle at the prospect; his eyes were alight with excitement... and perhaps a bit of foal-like wonder for what was to come.  "And I'd love the chance to cook for you and Glen!  She was so nice when I first met her - I'll have to figure out what sort of veggies I could use to-..."

Wait; I don't have the money to buy all the ingredients I'd need... I spent it all on... her freedom...

His muzzle fell, and Dax slowed his happy gait to a defeated lope.  "Illiad... I don't know that I'd be able to make anything like I wanted to.  I mean, I can still try, but... I was planning to buy the things I'll need to make stuff with, but..."

DAX!  He's an Empath, remember!?  Don't hurt him!

The Blackwater stopped in the street, closed his eyes, and began to take deep, even breaths.  After a minute of this, his mood evened out, and he considered what he possibly could do.

"Well... I mean... heck, if you think you already have enough stuff at home, maybe I could... I dunno... make something up from what's already there?"  His words were seeking answers, but his heart was starting to lighten; he'd made so many things in the kitchen at home; why would this be so different?  His pace picked up again, and though he was still a bit put-out that he wouldn't be able to make what he'd thought of making, he was still attempting to make do with what he possibly had.

He tried not to dwell on it; he didn't want Illiad to feel bad, for any reason.

6 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

"There's not much housing in Alphyns, so a bunch of creatures work here, but live in the nearby cities of Deltrot and Troy."

A city where the workers shuttle in and out all night... it sounds like it'd be a lot of hassle, but they're probably used to it in a place like Troy.

Dax sat down in the seat and stared out of the window for a minute.  After a bit, he turned back to Illiad with a question on his face.  "Uhm... Illiad?  I've been kinda curious... what was on those two scrolls Taps gave you before we left?  Did you read them yet?  And if you did, was it anything you could tell me about... or is it another secret?"

With that, Dax did give a small smile.  Illiad's so full of secrets, I'm kinda surprised he's not under his own lock and key himself!

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

16 hours ago, Randimaxis said:

I'm kinda surprised he's not under his own lock and key himself!

(You might not be surprised)

"The concert... I'm really looking forward to it - I've never been to one before!"

Illiad looked surprised, "Really? I would have thought your mother of all ponies would have taken you to at least an opera or musical theater, if you've been to either of those it's rather similar, just less story involved."

"Well... I mean... heck, if you think you already have enough stuff at home, maybe I could... I dunno... make something up from what's already there?"

Illiad looked a bit concerned, "I mean, sure... we could make do with what I've already got, but I don't have many ingredients that don't double as a meal in and of themselves. And I'd think money would be the least of your concerns, given that blank check Mrs. Goldenrod wrote you in the form of your charge plate. Far be it from me to tell you what to spend your money on, but I thought I'd remind you of that option."

17 hours ago, Randimaxis said:

And if you did, was it anything you could tell me about... or is it another secret?

Illiad looked surprised at Dax's question, "Secret? I've already told you more secrets than I've told anyone else, do you think I'd hide more secrets from you?" He looked contemplative for a moment, "Which reminds me that I haven't read the other one yet, the first one though was what I imagine is Taps' way of saying thank you for my help with, well, everything that happened back at the quarry. I wouldn't be surprised if the other is similar, but it did say it was for me alone, but who knows? There may be something in it worth passing on to you, and I'll let you know after I read it."

It wouldn't take much longer for the train to arrive back in Deltrot, and Illiad would be struck with a thought as he smelled a passing cart on their way in. "We haven't eaten yet have we? I'll let you pick, we could go back to the Candy Bar, we could go to the oasis market, there should still be a few stalls open, or we could eat whatever I've got in my cabinets, what do you think?"

• Brohoof 1

33 minutes ago, Illiad Easle said:

"Really? I would have thought your mother of all ponies would have taken you to at least an opera or musical theater, if you've been to either of those it's rather similar, just less story involved."

Dax shook his head.  "No, actually... Mother usually doesn't go out for musical shows, and she usually goes alone when she does.  No idea why; she drags me to plays and even a few poetry recitals, but she always seems to hit the music shows by herself."

I just sort of thought that she just didn't want a child interrupting her enjoyment of them... but now that Illiad brings it up, I'm curious as to what she'd say if I asked her.

37 minutes ago, Illiad Easle said:

"I mean, sure... we could make do with what I've already got, but I don't have many ingredients that don't double as a meal in and of themselves. And I'd think money would be the least of your concerns, given that blank check Mrs. Goldenrod wrote you in the form of your charge plate. Far be it from me to tell you what to spend your money on, but I thought I'd remind you of that option."

Dax fidgeted with his hooves a bit.

"Well, you're right... I k-kinda DID forget about it... but, it feels..." he sighed, "it feels... wrong... for me to use it.  I mean, what I did for... her... I did because it was the right thing to do.  Not because of some reward, or because I thought I'd get compensated for it, but because it just felt like what would be the RIGHT thing to do.  And I guess... well... I guess it just sorta feels like it would cheapen the deed if I used it.  I know that sounds pretty dumb, yeah, but..."

He looked at Illiad.  "I don't know, Illiad - I guess it just doesn't feel right to me, to take advantage of Ms. Goldenrod's generous nature like this.  I mean, well..." he pondered a moment, "maybe if I just look at it as using it to buy food for you and everyone else, then maybe it wouldn't be so bad, but... I honestly feel kinda guilty about even having it in the first place."

I'm not even sure I'm explaining this correctly; maybe I'd just be better off leaving it at that.

Dax sat back in the seat and loked out of the window again.  "I... might be thinking crazy, I guess, but that's just how it feels to me."

45 minutes ago, Illiad Easle said:

"Secret? I've already told you more secrets than I've told anyone else, do you think I'd hide more secrets from you?"

He slowly turned to look at the Trojan.

"Sorry, I... I just was making a little joke, is all.  No, I don't really feel that way... though the kind of stallion you are, Illiad, it wouldn't surprise me to find out you have more secrets, because you're just the sort of kind and caring individual that would hide anything that might hurt me.  Not that I think you are, I just... you'd do that to spare me.  And that just tells me I really mean a lot to you.  Which, as far as I'm concerned, is the best part of this entire exchange."

That brought a genuine smile to his muzzle; if there was anything about this exchange that Dax would always be grateful for, it would be Illiad.

48 minutes ago, Illiad Easle said:

"Which reminds me that I haven't read the other one yet, the first one though was what I imagine is Taps' way of saying thank you for my help with, well, everything that happened back at the quarry. I wouldn't be surprised if the other is similar, but it did say it was for me alone, but who knows? There may be something in it worth passing on to you, and I'll let you know after I read it."

Dax nodded and grinned.  "Okay.  But if I'm not supposed to know, then I'll understand that too.  It's okay; I know I'm not really supposed to know everything, and... I'm kinda okay with that."

It's a bit like you at the quarry, he thought idly, and me being here.  You came into that little world and shook up everyone and everything there, and your visit will leave a mark that will probably span generations, if not longer... but that's to be expected, as it's just a tiny little world of its' own.  But me, coming into Troy?  It's like I'm a mote of dust just drifting by, and when I pass, there'll be nothing here to show I was even at this marvelous place.

It kinda hurts a bit that I can't make any sort of difference here like you did there... but, in a way, I'm kinda okay with that too.  Mostly, anyway.  I still wish I could do even a little bit for you what you've done for me, but I guess I'll just have to be the best friend I can be, and forget about the rest of my feelings on it.  I'm used to being just a passing spark in the world - I just never knew the world was so big that my spark never even made a light.

The thoughts were low and somewhat glum, but Dax didn't let them get to his heart; they were random thoughts in the night, and fleeting in their thinking.  The young Blackwater had much on his mind; Troy, TrUST, home, Luna, Selena, Oracle... and his friend Illiad Easle.  By tomorrow, he'd be fine and dandy, he was sure of it... he simply knew that thoughts, both good and bad, sometimes needed thinking.

Maybe I'll just carry my own light home, and do my best to shine when I get there, he mused... and that thought made him give a small grin.

58 minutes ago, Illiad Easle said:

"We haven't eaten yet have we? I'll let you pick, we could go back to the Candy Bar, we could go to the oasis market, there should still be a few stalls open, or we could eat whatever I've got in my cabinets, what do you think?"

Stirring from his inner monologue, Dax looked at Illiad and shrugged.

"Well, uhm... we... can try to see what there is at your place, I guess.  I mean, if I'm gonna try to cook anything, I may as well get an idea of hat all is there, hunh?  Plus..." he gave one of his sheepish grins, "I don't wanna cost you any more money, honestly... or I'd say the Candy Bar would be nice to visit again.  But no, I think it'd be better if I got an idea of what you have at home, so I can think about what to prepare tomorrow."

Bless him, Dax was trying so hard to just be good and happy... and he sincerely hoped it was working.

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

23 hours ago, Randimaxis said:

"I... might be thinking crazy, I guess, but that's just how it feels to me."

Illiad looked a bit concerned at Dax's words, "Well, I can understand that, though I suppose as long as you don't spend any more than you spent at the market, then I'd hardly think you'd be taking advantage of her."

Nonetheless, Illiad did not press the matter, turning their path back towards his house, he yawned as he walked through the door. "Alright then, let's see what I've got here." He went to dig through the cabinets, "Well, I've got a bunch of ingredients for pancakes, pre-mixed so we'd just need to add an egg there... I've got bread, some raspberry preserves, some honey..." he continued on, listing off ingredients as he found them, he didn't have much variety but he did have a small bottle of cracked red pepper seeds and some ground chipotle peppers along side a number of cereals. Notably the only vegetables he had on hoof were a large bag of carrots.

He looked a bit embarrassed as he looked back at Dax, "I guess I don't have as much as I thought I did. Do any ideas come to mind? I could run out to the market real quick if there's some specific ingredient we're missing." 

• Brohoof 1

"Well, I can understand that, though I suppose as long as you don't spend any more than you spent at the market, then I'd hardly think you'd be taking advantage of her."

He nodded, and mentally began trying to figure out what he could cook from what he'd seen in Troy so far.  When they arrived back at Illiad's place, Dax gave a b-i-i-i-i-g yawn and stretch, smiling as he got inside to hide from the approaching daylight.

Guess all those years of being a night-owl are catching up to me here; the re-readjustment is going to be rough, I can already tell.

"Well, I've got a bunch of ingredients for pancakes, pre-mixed so we'd just need to add an egg there... I've got bread, some raspberry preserves, some honey..."

Dax sat down on the couch and nodded as Illiad listed off the foodstuffs he had.  The young stallion's mind wandered through a few possibilities, and began trying to list out what things were possible with only a few meager ingredients that he might pick up later from the market.

If I can combine the preserves with, say, some flour and dough... then maybe some fresh fruit... add in some apple butter... maybe a Fruit Pizza could be had after all... and if Illiad liked it... then... so will... they... I'll... bet...

5 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

"I guess I don't have as much as I thought I did. Do any ideas come to mind? I could run out to the market real quick if there's some specific ingredient we're missing." 

Dax Blackwater was fast asleep on Illiad's couch.  He'd had a long night, and everything had finally cought up to him.  Granted, he'd be hungry in the morning, but for now?  He looked peaceful and serene as he gave the tiniest of cute snores, his left forehoof dropping down to dangle from the couch's arm as he slept on.

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

Illiad's expression fell a bit when he turned back to find Dax asleep, "Heh, guess I wore you out huh?" He shook his head as he set about, carefully, tucking Dax in. "If you're mother found out I wasn't feeding you, I don't thing the guard could keep me safe from her."

He grabbed a few carrots and Taps' second letter on his way up the stairs, turning out the light and closing the curtains as he went up.

<Aside 3>

Illiad fell asleep reading Taps' multi-page letter, as interesting as it was it couldn't keep him awake long.

Nor could the fear of what might await him in the subconscious.

Illiad found himself back in Canterlot, walking down a street in the evening with Play Write at his side. They were poking fun at each other as they had been prone to before...

"Hey!" An angry shout from further ahead of them, and Illiad fully remembered where he was, but just as before he was a helpless passenger in this ride.

Out from a nearby alley strode his friends, but they looked off. Their eyes seemed filled with an unnatural rage, except for the one in the middle, who had a cruel grin. Illiad took a step back, a fear struck him deeply as Play stepped forward, trying to talk things down as he often did.

"No!" Cranberry Pie shouted, stopping Play's words, "He's clearly got control of him! He must be stopped before he enacts his evil schemes!" Although his voice indicated a level of concern his expression betrayed the jealousy and hatred he truly felt for Illiad.

When the trio charged at him he froze until Play started to drag him along with his magic, "Illiad! Run!"

They ran, but the trio was quickly approaching.

A fork in the road came up, and Play bumped him to go down the other path, "They can't catch up both! Circle around when you can!"

When Play split off, the trio remained focused on him. I didn't see him again until I came to Troy.

The rest of the chase was a blur, the fear, the Adrenalin, the dying hope that Play would come save him, culminated when he accidentally turned into a dead end alley, and was subsequently pinned by the trio. He saw now, looking back on it, that the pair without Cranberry were clearly being manipulated by him, and inwardly he felt a bit of forgiveness towards them.

He was forced by the memory to relive the painful moments of the incident, the moment when his fear and hope turned to a rage of his own, a thirst for true vengeance against those who had hurt him. But the memory continued as he pushed past the breaking point, blasting them and the guard who last time had paid him no mind with the full force of his rage. When he regained control of himself he saw their mangled bodies, compacted against the walls of the alley, the burn marks on his back replaced with the stain of their blood.

This is the power I offer, with the control you lack. Alone you are dangerous, they would have died that night were it not for me. I

The voice stopped, the scene fell away, but the blood remained on his hooves and back. Before him stood Luna, who appeared deeply concerned, but initially said nothing as she embraced a sobbing Illiad. "He grows restless, I felt it too. The longer he waits the hungrier he becomes, I fear it will only get worse until you come to accept him."

"I can't, I can't do it."

"Even We were less than perfect for the task, yet we remain. You too shalt prevail. Once his hunger is satiated, he will grow to be the truest confidant thou ever hast had. But the road is steep and the price high. Fear not, for it has been traveled before, and will be traveled again."

Luna opened the scene to show a glimpse of the future, the two friends who had been consumed by rage made whole. "Some yet may be saved, but only with his help can they escape the charge of justice. You need him to provide their mercy, without which they will suffer even as you have seen."

Message passed, Luna allowed Illiad to pass into a dreamless sleep.

The next morning:

It was quiet in the house when Dax eventually woke up, the sun was just starting to set but there was a distinct chill in the house, it was like the night before, unusually dark, but this time Illiad's door was open.

If Dax went up to check on him he'd see the darkness growing thicker as he approached, Illiad laying prone on his bed, asleep, but surrounded by a darkness that seemed to permeate him.

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

He grabbed a few carrots and Taps' second letter on his way up the stairs, turning out the light and closing the curtains as he went up.

The letter was written in fine, cursive script that one would find from a noble, not a (supposed) mailpony.  And it read as follows:

Once upon a time, in the olden days of Equestria, there was a filly who had a small, but very poor family.  This family loved her so very much, but they hadn't even a bit to their names.  They worked hard, and so did the filly, to make ends meet.  Often there was struggle, and more than a few nights did the filly and her family went hungry.  But they had each other, and they had love, and they were happy.

But then the plague came, and many ponies got sick.  The filly's family got sick as well, and they didn't have the money needed to buy the medicine they desperately needed.  And so they passed from this world, but Fate left the little filly behind, all alone, to fend for herself.  The filly didn't know what to do, and so she tried to live on the streets.  She spent many nights being cold, hungry, and alone.  But the streets did teach her a few things about Life, and she somehow survived for a while.

The filly became hungry - the worst kind of hungry.  She became hungry for the fortune of others, and began to steal for her meals.  More than that, she began to HATE the ponies she robbed, and so she began to hurt them as well.  She wouldn't cross the line and end their lives, but there were times she came very close to doing so.  Then, one of the ponies she tried to rob ended up being faster than she was, and he managed to hurt her badly.  He was cruel, and dragged her back to his home... where he did terrible, unspeakable things to the poor filly.

But word got out about what he was doing.  And on the very night the wicked stallion was going to finally finish her life for good, that was when a beautiful, gracious alicorn came to her rescue.  The alicorn was noble and kind, and actually ended up having to FIGHT the stallion for the little filly's life.  Though the stallion was wily and quick, he was no match for the alicorn's might, and he was defeated, and sent away to dwell in the dungeons, which he stayed in until the day he died.

The filly, however, was broken.  She had been the target of the stallion's awful temper and was close to death.  The alicorn saw the filly's state, and showed her mercy beyond mercy.  She brought the little filly to an orphanage in Canterlot, where the filly was cared for, fed, and medically mended to the best of the doctors' abilities.  But she was still unable to use her lovely wings, and she had a number of health issues... but she still loved the alicorn for her kindness.

As the years passed, the filly decided she was going to be a good filly from now on, and she wanted to thank the kind alicorn for what she'd done for her.  So she began to train herself to be strong, and ended up being stronger than anyone ever thought.  She wanted to be brave, and she ended up being braver than the bravest Manticore hunter.  She wanted to be fast... but her wings wouldn't work right.  So she put wheels on her hooves to make up for it, and took her new name from them, as her old life and old name meant little to her anymore.

She managed to impress the Captain of the Royal Guard of Canterlot, and he began to train her to do the best job she could.  She became one of the best guards that had ever graced Canterlot's hallowed halls, even taking over for the kind captain as he retired.  She became well-known and well-respected - so much so that, when the alicorn had a plan to help protect her subjects from magical things that could harm them, she naturally chose the filly, now a mare, to be one of the twenty-five subjects she had chosen for this special duty.

The mare was loyal, and wanted to do right by the alicorn who had saved her, so she agreed.  The alicorn put her in charge of a wondrous magical Closet, and assigned her a number of others to help her.  But before she started her new work, the alicorn gave each one of the leaders of these new positions an artfact to assist them; to the loyal mare, she gave a clock that imbedded itself into her heart.  The clock fixed the mare's wings, and made her as healthy as she was before the awful stallion had hurt her.

But the alicorn warned her that the clock would make her live longer than she was supposed to; the mare didn't mind, as long as she could serve the alicorn's needs and help her when she needed her.  The alicorn then told her to protect this Closet with all her little might, and the mare accepted the task.  The magical Closet became her life, and those under her became her closest friends.

But time moved on, year after year, and decade after decade.  Time moved on, but the loyal mare did not; she remained as she was the very day the clock was given to her.  Her wonderful friends, slowly, all got old and eventually, the little mare found herself alone.  What was worse, the magical Closet had still needed to be guarded, even if the little mare was the only one left to do so.  The alicorn hadn't forgotten her, no, but when her subjects discovered one of the other magical secrets, the entire group of special beings were officially disbanded, leaving no one to help the little mare when she was all alone.

And when time moved on and centuries passed, the little mare found herself so very alone.  She tried to make friends outside of her duty a few times... but each time, there was pain and there was sorrow to be had for all her yearning. 

The first time was a simple stallion who the little mare thought was so very handsome... but he ended up unable to keep his greed in check, and he tried to take things from the magical Closet.  Those things he stole made him into an EVIL pony, and the little mare had to not only fight him, but end his life as the things he took had forced him to try to destroy Equestria.  She defeated him, ended his poor life, and the little mare cried as she buried him, alone and far from the small villages and towns that were coming into being around her.

The second time was a young mare that was much like the little mare herself was once.  She was clever and had suffered much, but turned out better for the wear.  But the young mare discovered an artifact; a hat that gave her the power of an alicorn.  That hat caused the young mare to believe she was supposed to replace the alicorn that had saved the loyal mare so long ago.  It took the combined might of the loyal mare and many of the magical things inside the Closet to stop her, and it ended up costing the young mare her life.  The loyal mare buried her next to the handsome stallion, to make sure they would keep each other company.

The third time was a stallion who tricked the loyal mare into believing he loved her.  The stallion continued to play his games with her until he managed to get into the magical Closet, which he'd secretly found out about from being a spy in Canterlot's archives.  When he got inside the magical Closet, he took up an awful stone that housed a maniac; that maniac took control of him, and the loyal mare had to fight for her life to make sure the horrible maniac never escaped again.  But the process trapped both the maniac AND the stallion together.  Over time, the stallion rotted away, leaving only the maniac imprisoned in the stone.

The fourth time, the loyal mare thought she could help out another mare in need, and she used things in the magical Closet to help heal the mare's sicknesses.  But when they were healed, the mare wanted to tell EVERYONE about the loyal mare's miracle.  This attracted the attention of an evil changeling queen, who sought to gain entry into the magical Closet for her own benefit.  After much fighting, the loyal mare finally managed to wipe the changeling queen's mind of the magical Closet... but she also had to wipe the mind of the once-sickly mare as well, leaving her alone yet again.

The loyal mare was left close to death herself by this act, and was actually looking forward to dying at last.  Except it wasn't to be, as a dour but kind stallion found her, and carried her to where she could be healed.  In exchange for his kindness, the loyal mare agreed to help him with parts of his business.  After she managed to move the contents of the magical Closet to his home, she then set up shop there, and decided that words would be her downfall... so she refused to speak them at all, save to a chosen few.

Now, this very day, the loyal mare continues to watch over the magical Closet and all its' belongings... but, due to a mistake she made, she now has at least ONE friend she can trust.  And that makes the loyal little mare happier than anything else has in a long, long time.  And she hopes the friend sees her as a friend as well, because she needs one.  More than air.  More than life.  More than almost anything in the world.

Thank you, my friend, for reading this.  I hope it helps you to understand.

- Steel Wheels -
Former Elite Captain of the Royal Canterlot Guard
Head of Princess Celestia's Magical Closet
Formerly Known As Little Star
Friend-In-Training

Please destroy this after you read it; no one else is to ever know the truth.

Illiad fell asleep reading Taps' multi-page letter, as interesting as it was it couldn't keep him awake long.

When Dax awoke in the morning, he yawned, stretched, then smiled as he saw the blanket Illiad had undoubtedly given him.  He got up, gave another stretch, then smacked his lips a bit while he scratched his mane comfortably.  Waking up, he decided to check in on his best friend, making sure he hadn't fallen asleep at the table, or in some other place that wasn't his bed.

Today's gonna be a great day, I can just feel it!

However, as he went upstairs...

Dax saw the darkness growing thicker as he approached, Illiad laying prone on his bed, asleep, but surrounded by a darkness that seemed to permeate him.

He gulped softly.  He knew what this was.  

"... uhm... Mister Ven-... uh, Mr. V?  Is... i-is that you?"

He didn't expect any answer, but he was going to ask anyway.

"That, uhm... 'thing'... you told me about... is... is it going to be today?"

Dax hoped he was getting the right idea, but he was also fully aware that he knew very little when it came to the more mystical and arcane things in the world.  He remembered that he'd offered the dark stallion his friendship, and he'd meant it; he was unsure if the stallion had bothered to accept it, but that didn't mean he was going to let it go.

"If it is, I'll... I'll try.  But I hope you're... uhm, y-you're okay, too.  I'm not so scared to see you around him anymore..."

Mostly, anyway.

"... but I can see you; you might wanna hide again."

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

(Very much enjoyed the letter, it explains quite a bit about her and how she acted.)

The darkness shifted a bit at Dax's intrusion, and more at his voice, individual shadow beings forming up out of the accrued darkness. While they didn't have eyes, Dax had the distinct impression that they were looking at him curiously.

14 hours ago, Randimaxis said:

"That, uhm... 'thing'... you told me about... is... is it going to be today?"

Illiad shifted on the bed, and the shadow creatures looked back at him, before turning wordlessly back to Dax.

14 hours ago, Randimaxis said:

"... but I can see you; you might wanna hide again."

In the quiet Dax would be able to hear, or more accurately feel, a low hum in the air as the remaining darkness coalesced into a clear silhouette on the wall behind Illiad. The shadow gestured, and the creatures quickly dispersed, leaping into the true shadows of the room and out the windows into the darkening streets. Illiad's mouth moved, but the voice was that of the darkness from his dream the prior night. "He's drawn attention, they play for his favor. But he does not yet know it. Today is not the day, and it cannot be told you until it is time."

The silhouette turned to face him, and instead of the perfect darkness there was a singular glowing eye that seemed to stare straight into his soul. "You are a good pony Daxter Blackwater, None call for me against you."

That said, Illiad began to rouse from his sleep, and the remaining darkness was absorbed into himself, leaving the room in a normal amount of light. It didn't take long for Illiad to spot Dax loitering at his door, and his expression was mixed between fear, embarrassment, and relief. "Um, I don't know what you may have seen or heard in this room, but I assume you shouldn't tell anyone about it."

He yawned, stretching on his disheveled bed before stepping in the direction of his bathroom. "Give me a minute, and I'll be downstairs."

• Brohoof 1

On 2/13/2020 at 11:27 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"He's drawn attention, they play for his favor. But he does not yet know it. Today is not the day, and it cannot be told you until it is time."

Oh, that can't be good...

Dax nodded wordlessly, knowing that such a creature was a part of his best friend, and that Illiad HAD to find a way to balance and accept him.  He just didn't know where to begin; he was at least confident that, whenever that time came, he'd know what to say.  At least, he hoped he would.

"You are a good pony Daxter Blackwater, None call for me against you."

He visibly relaxed a bit.  I'm pretty sure folks have to know you exist to think such things, but it's good to know I haven't made anyone THAT mad.

"Um, I don't know what you may have seen or heard in this room, but I assume you shouldn't tell anyone about it."

Dax smiled.  "Illiad, it's ME; I wouldn't give up anything like that.  Don't worry so much about... that stuff... with me.  I'm your friend, and friends stick together."

"Give me a minute, and I'll be downstairs."

"Right-o - I can start something for breakfast while you gather yourself."  He grinned impishly before he left.  "And with all that sweating you've been doing, you might wanna get cleaned up a bit, too."

A little teasing about his being nervous about me won't hurt, he thought.  Plus, it makes light of a, uhm, DARK situation.

Giving a slight chuckle over his inside joke, he made his way down to the kitchen and started looking through the cupboards there.  It wasn't long before a delicious scent began to waft through the small house, and Dax's whistling could be heard clearly.

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

About fifteen minutes later Illiad came down the stairs, tail wrapped in a towel and body wrapped in a fresh robe, he sniffed the air curiously, "Now what sort of magic are you wielding? Because my kitchen has no right smelling this good."

He would come over to see what Dax was preparing, he seemed in a better mood at least. "Are you excited? There's more than a few surprises in store for you today!" In fact he seemed rather chipper.

His attitude soon revealed itself to be a mask as he sat down at the table, waiting for whatever Dax was making to be ready, his face became one of worry as he looked over at Dax, "Out of curiosity, Did you see anything? In my room? Because I don't know what you might have seen which made you so worried."

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/21/2020 at 8:33 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"Now what sort of magic are you wielding? Because my kitchen has no right smelling this good."

"Well," he started shyly, "I just have a sense of what some of the stuff you had tastes like, and I tried tasting the rest; it wasn't long before I had some ideas, and I just got to putting it together.  I'm not even sure what some of it is, but I know what tastes good - to me, anyway - and I kind of... e-experimented a bit."

The dishes that were on the small table looked and smelled quite good.

"I just hope I didn't misgauge anything and make something you won't like... but I tried everything I made here, and nothing made me gag, so... my guess is that it's at least edible, and I hope to see if you like some of the stuff I came up with."

Dax had always been happy to make food, but making food from unknown ingredients?  That had been a bit of a challenge, and he was looking forward to what his best friend would think of it.

"Are you excited? There's more than a few surprises in store for you today!"

More surprises?  Wow, it makes me feel like I was a poor host in comparison; so many surprises for me, I wish I'd done more for him while he was at the quarry.

"WAY excited!  I can hardly wait to see what's in store for today - and besides, just putting together a mystery breakfast is a great way to start off such a promising day!"

"Out of curiosity, Did you see anything? In my room? Because I don't know what you might have seen which made you so worried."

Do I tell him about Mr. V?  Do I explain how I know he's blocking out a part of himself that could outright destroy who he is if he keeps denying it?  Do I confess that I know about how things are trying to manipulate him, and that he needs to stay alert and aware of what all is happening right now?

Dax gave a slight smile.  "You remember when I told you about seeing shadows around you?  Well, it happened again - but that was all.  I'm kinda worried about you... but at the same time, I also know that you have a unique situation, and that my best way to help you is to be a friend.  Even if I never understand you completely enough to explain everything I see, I can still be there to support my buddy.  So, yeah - no big deal.  If you wanna talk about it, we can... but if it makes you nervous or sad, then we can wait and talk when you feel like talking."

He turned back to the stove to finish up the dish he was working on, pouring the contents into a large bowl and bringing it to the table.

"Besides, we've got a lifetime ahead of us to talk, and I'll always be there for you."  He smiled broadly.  "Now, what're you going to try first?"

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

15 hours ago, Randimaxis said:

"You remember when I told you about seeing shadows around you?  Well, it happened again - but that was all.  I'm kinda worried about you... but at the same time, I also know that you have a unique situation, and that my best way to help you is to be a friend.  Even if I never understand you completely enough to explain everything I see, I can still be there to support my buddy.  So, yeah - no big deal.  If you wanna talk about it, we can... but if it makes you nervous or sad, then we can wait and talk when you feel like talking."

Illiad sighed, "I'm... working through it. Coming to terms with everything you know? If I understand correctly, I think the shadows you saw represent in some way my fears, regrets, and unfulfilled... desires. I've been confronted by my own insecurities, inadequacies. I thought of something now, having to look at it again now I see, they weren't responsible. They don't deserve all the negative energies I've had towards them..."

He shook himself back to the present, "Sorry, I got carried away there."

"I just hope I didn't misgauge anything and make something you won't like... but I tried everything I made here, and nothing made me gag, so... my guess is that it's at least edible, and I hope to see if you like some of the stuff I came up with."

Illiad smiled, a bit more genuinely than before, "As it pertains to your food, well, if you think it's edible that's far better than my usual fare, given my lower skill, so I'm sure it'll be great!"

Illiad would look around the prepared dishes like he hadn't seen food before, settling on whatever dish would look most familiar to him to try first, eating it as he continued conversing with Dax.

"WAY excited!  I can hardly wait to see what's in store for today - and besides, just putting together a mystery breakfast is a great way to start off such a promising day!"

He had a knowing smile as he continued, "You at least will get to experience it on better terms than I did, so it'll likely be more of an experience for you than it was for me, but I've said too much on that already. I would hate to spoil the surprise. But we do have the concert today, something I've been rather excited for, more so when you told me you haven't been to one before! I think it will be quite the experience for you all things considered. Heh, I almost feel bad, no other concert will be able to match it."

Illiad would motion for Dax to start eating too, as he was more than likely too focused on watching Illiad's enjoyment of the dish to think of eating himself. "You'll need your energy for what's to come. Swift and Carbon will be here soon to go to the concert with us, you've got to be early to these things to get good seats after all."

If Dax thought about it, the posters he had seen had all said the concert was tomorrow... So either Illiad was confused, or they were going to be VERY early.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/16/2020 at 11:05 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"I'm... working through it. Coming to terms with everything you know? If I understand correctly, I think the shadows you saw represent in some way my fears, regrets, and unfulfilled... desires. I've been confronted by my own insecurities, inadequacies. I thought of something now, having to look at it again now I see, they weren't responsible. They don't deserve all the negative energies I've had towards them... sorry, I got carried away there."

Dax nodded.  "It takes time to learn how to live with yourself; I'm still figuring a lot of it out, but I was taught that you have to learn to accept what limits you have, and work inside those." 

He grinned knowingly at the Trojan.  "Recently taught, that is."

"As it pertains to your food, well, if you think it's edible that's far better than my usual fare, given my lower skill, so I'm sure it'll be great!"

The dishes set out looked... different, that much was certain.  There was 'green stuff in a bowl', followed by 'grey, gritty stuff' and 'yellowish-orange stuff', and a mixing bowl full of 'red stuff with green sprinkles'... all of this complimented by a tray of 'lumpy brown things'.

Dax really needed to improve his system for naming things.

However, when Illiad gave any of the dishes a sniff, they revealed themselves to be different things:  They became 'minty-scented sauce', followed by 'sharp & cheesy' and 'rich, salty aroma', and a mixing bowl full of 'sweet and savory'... all of which, complimented by a tray of 'citrus baked honey'.

The scents were definitely better naming sources.

Each thing was exotic and different, and even seemed to surprise Dax on a few occasions... but not a single thing on the table tasted less than delicious.  Though he hadn't even known what he was using, the Blackwater had managed to create some truly tasty dishes out of scraps in Illiad's kitchen.  It was a bit of a wonder he didn't have a culinary cutie mark...

"You'll need your energy for what's to come. Swift and Carbon will be here soon to go to the concert with us, you've got to be early to these things to get good seats after all."

Dax's smile redoubled.  "Oh, cool!  I'm glad they're meeting us to go along - it'll be good to see them again.  OOH!  And I never did give anyone their presents, did I?  Would it be a good time to give them theirs when they show up?"

The concert's supposed to be tomorrow... yet, here we are preparing for today?  I gotta sneaking suspicion that Mr. Easle is up to something...

Dax looked at his friend and smiled.  I can hardly wait to see what it is.

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

10 hours ago, Randimaxis said:

"Recently taught, that is."

Illiad chuckled, "I suppose my own lessons are finally rubbing off on me. Taking my own advice after giving it to others, who knew it would be even more effective this way?"

However, when Illiad gave any of the dishes a sniff, they revealed themselves to be different things:  They became 'minty-scented sauce', followed by 'sharp & cheesy' and 'rich, salty aroma', and a mixing bowl full of 'sweet and savory'... all of which, complimented by a tray of 'citrus baked honey'.

The appearance of the items caused Illiad a bit of hesitation given their in-congruence with the scents that had brought him down the stairs, "Um, you sure you didn't accidentally mix my paints into these? They seem rather... colorful, especially considering what I had in my cabinets." Regardless, despite their vibrant colors they still looked more appealing than what Illiad usually prepared for himself, so he overcame his hesitation to actually try them, seeing if the third sense would break the tie between their scent and sight. Texture was of course to be considered as well.

Illiad wasn't wholly surprised by how well they tasted, they of course tasted even better than they smelled, but he had come to accept that Dax had a talent for making good food.

Would it be a good time to give them theirs when they show up?"

Illiad thought for a moment, "I think it would be a good time actually, it wouldn't be much out of the way for them to drop off their gifts on our way out of the city." But wasn't the concert in the city auditorium? Dax may not be too familiar with how Deltrot was laid out, but the picture of the map seemed to indicate that the auditorium was near the city center.

It wouldn't be much longer before there was a knocking at the door, the same as when Swift had come with the mail the previous day, Illiad looked over to see the pair standing on his porch, "Perfect timing," He'd look back at Dax, "Better go get those gifts ready, I'll greet them to give you some time."

By the time Dax would return they'd have moved to join Illiad in the kitchen, also partaking of the varied dishes Dax had prepared, leaving of course enough for Dax if he hadn't had any yet.

16 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

"Perfect timing. Better go get those gifts ready, I'll greet them to give you some time."

Dax nodded, then dashed his way to his trunk, where he'd been keeping the goods he'd carefully picked to give out - specifically to fetch the Cooler Pack.

Reaching the trunk, he swiftly dug the Cooler Pack out and brushed it off, making sure it was clean and ready.  It had tubes threaded through the vest, connected to a hidden waterskin, with a small access tube which allows for drinks in mid-flight, and it was easily cleanable, yet sturdy enough to last through a few crash landings... and would be perfect to help a mail carrier keep cool in a place like Troy.

As for the other, Dax reached back and fished around in his mane for a moment, then pulled a specific string, and brought forward a small pouch.  Inside it was Dax's last Blackwater Emerald, along with a few chunks of uncut, raw emerald from the mines.  He looked at it a moment, then at the Cooler Pack.

This seems... inadequate.  I mean, Swift will get the pack, and I'm sure he'll at least like it, but... it feels weird, just giving Carbon just another sample for his profession - like giving one guest caviar and one guest a single slice of cheese; how were they supposed to balance out?

Then again... Carbon DOES seem to like his job, so maybe it would end up being something he might actually want - but maybe that's arrogance?  I mean, really putting it to paper, it's like I consider this emerald to be worthy of a gift to someone... but... wait...

He actually grinned.  But it IS worthy of being a gift.  Even if I never really understood the business, I have to admit that Father puts his soul into the mine, and the gems that come from that dedication are QUALITY gemstones.  So... yeah.  TOTALLY worthwhile as a gift.

He looked at it one more time.  "I just hope the gesture doesn't come across as arrogant," he said to himself, gathering the two items and slipping them into his bags before donning them and heading back to where they were waiting.

Seeing them, Dax waved at Carbon and Swift.  "Hiya!  Thanks for coming with us; I really hope it'll be a great time!  And I didn't get to the other day, but I have something for the both of you... if that's okay, I hope?"

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

The group turned to face Dax as he approached, Swift was the first to speak, "Hey Dax! Might I say this food you've whipped up is amazing, I must get the recipe from you sometime."

6 hours ago, Randimaxis said:

"Hiya!  Thanks for coming with us; I really hope it'll be a great time!  And I didn't get to the other day, but I have something for the both of you... if that's okay, I hope?"

Carbon shrugged, "I mean it's more accurately you two who are coming with us, but no matter." They both though looked intrigued at the mention of gifts, stepping away from the kitchen to get closer to Dax, Carbon was hesitant, "Oh? I didn't realize we were that good of friends yet, I didn't bring anything for you..."

Swift just chuckled, "Dax is just the giving sort now isn't he? I'm sure he doesn't mind, after all it looks like he intended it as a surprise." He'd turn towards Dax with his cheery smile. "So, what is it you've got for us?"

• Brohoof 1

31 minutes ago, Illiad Easle said:

"Hey Dax! Might I say this food you've whipped up is amazing, I must get the recipe from you sometime."

The young stallion gave one of his sheepish grins.  "If I knew, I'd tell you - but I just made this stuff out of whatever Illiad had in his cabinets; I'M not even sure what's in them... I guess I just followed my senses of smell and taste.  But I'm glad you like it - heck, I'm glad it came out well!"

Inside, Dax's pride swelled juuuuuust a smidgen.

33 minutes ago, Illiad Easle said:

"Oh? I didn't realize we were that good of friends yet, I didn't bring anything for you..."

Dax smiled.  "Well, I just thought it would be a kind gesture to all of you.  Really, no need for anything in return - I'm just glad to have had a chance to meet all of you!"

35 minutes ago, Illiad Easle said:

"Dax is just the giving sort now isn't he? I'm sure he doesn't mind, after all it looks like he intended it as a surprise.  So, what is it you've got for us?"

Dax reached into the saddlebag on his side, and brought out what looked like a vest of some sort.  "This is what's called a Cooler Pack; it has a resevoir for water, and it's insulated to stay cold... which is a bonus, 'cause this tube lets you drink from the resevoir, as well as circulate the cold water throughout the vest!  It's really sturdy, and it'll keep you cool while you do your routes, and it doubles as a thermos you can wear!"

He smiled.  "It's a gift that's also from our own resident mailmare, who's been doing this a long time; if anyone knows something's good, she would!"

He then reached around and brought out the small sack, holding it out to Carbon.  "I noticed how much you liked the emerald from the other day, so... here: an official Blackwater Emerald, along with some uncut emeralds straight from Father's mine, for your perusal... or collection, if you have one!"

Please let them like it please let them like it please...

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

3 minutes ago, Randimaxis said:

He smiled.  "It's a gift that's also from our own resident mailmare, who's been doing this a long time; if anyone knows something's good, she would!"

Swift looked impressed as he took the vest, inspecting it thoroughly, "Impressive! I think this may do me quite a bit of service. I'll have to wear my wrap a bit looser to fit it, but no one will suspect a thing!" He stowed it away in his own bags before coming over to give Dax a friendly hug, "I'll be sure to put it to good use, though I hope you'll forgive me for not testing it immediately."

6 minutes ago, Randimaxis said:

"I noticed how much you liked the emerald from the other day, so... here: an official Blackwater Emerald, along with some uncut emeralds straight from Father's mine, for your perusal... or collection, if you have one!"

Carbon also looking impressed, but still a bit more reserved than Swift, "Yes, I remember, I got a few from Troy to valuate the other day, said they came from you. I must say they are most impressive, the best emeralds I've ever seen with my own eyes." While he didn't show it much outwardly, he seemed very touched by the gift given how carefully he stowed them away. "I, um, don't know how I can repay you, b but I will!" 

Illiad finished up cleaning and stowing the leftovers, "If we're all ready to go then, we should get going. We want to get good seats after all."

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/11/2020 at 4:37 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"Impressive! I think this may do me quite a bit of service. I'll have to wear my wrap a bit looser to fit it, but no one will suspect a thing!  I'll be sure to put it to good use, though I hope you'll forgive me for not testing it immediately."

Dax gladly returned the hug.  "Well... if you're going with us to the concert, I kinda figured you wouldn't be 'on call' for mail, so it's okay.  Besides, I'm just glad you like it!  I wanted to get something more... 'utlilitarian' than just, y'know, a postcard or such."

"Yes, I remember, I got a few from Troy to valuate the other day, said they came from you. I must say they are most impressive, the best emeralds I've ever seen with my own eyes.  I, um, don't know how I can repay you, b but I will!" 

"Carbon, a gift is a GIFT; you don't need to repay gifts!  I did it because Illiad said you did what you do, and I thought it would be right in line with your interests... plus, you got to examine those emeralds, but you can keep this one."

Sounds kinda like what I'd say, if I were given a gift.

"If we're all ready to go then, we should get going. We want to get good seats after all."

Dax nodded, ready to leave whenever they were.  "Well, then onward, I suppose!" he said cheerily.

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

18 hours ago, Randimaxis said:

Dax nodded, ready to leave whenever they were.  "Well, then onward, I suppose!" he said cheerily

With that the group set off, Illiad locking the door to his house behind them, following about the same route they did when they first arrived to the city. When they got outside the gates there was a golem-cart waiting like the one they had ridden in Alphyns to the observatory, sat atop it was a pony Dax hadn't met yet, but the others seemed to recognize as he waved for them to get on the cart, he helped Dax up onto the cart personally, "Hey there! You must be Dax! Very excited to meet you, I'm Tenor Saxaphone, but you can call me Sax, or T-Sax, or whatever. I'll be your guide today."

Illiad chuckled at Sax's enthusiasm, "Careful Sax, you don't want to scare him away."

Sax didn't seem to pick up on Illiad's humor, immediately turning apologetic, "Oh! So sorry! I didn't mean to be overbearing."

Which in turn got Swift chuckling as he tousled Sax's mane, "Calm down, it was a joke. You did fine."

Sax seemed relieved at that, giving Dax one last friendly smile before turning to set the cart in motion across the desert, it was a good thing the sun was already setting, otherwise it would be quite the hot trip.

Speaking of, where were they going exactly? The city was quickly shrinking into the distance.

(There's time here for talking)

Once the city was a good ways off Swift turned to Illiad and Dax with a somewhat serious expression, "Alright, it's time. Did you bring one for Dax or...?"

Illiad nodded, "Got it right here." He pulled out a pair of blindfolds and gave one to Dax as he affixed his own, "Sorry Dax, but it's part of the surprise that you don't see it coming, even I'm not allowed to see it, so I suppose it's as much a surprise for me as it is for you."

Provided Dax complied and put the blindfold on the journey would continue. After a few more minutes of travel there was a distinct shift in the atmosphere, the warm dry air shifting to a much cooler temperature with a hint of humidity. If Dax didn't know better he'd think they had entered a cave, it certainly sounded like they were in a cave.

It was then that the cart started to turn, up until this point their journey had been in a mostly straight line, but now the cart was making a number of turns before coming to a stop and lowering.

Illiad would remove Dax's blindfold to reveal that they were somehow in a cave, and furthermore surrounded by about a half dozen curious looking changelings besides Swift, Carbon, and Sax who had all dropped their disguises.

Illiad had quite the smile, "Well Dax, welcome to Allagipolis."

"Hey there! You must be Dax! Very excited to meet you, I'm Tenor Saxaphone, but you can call me Sax, or T-Sax, or whatever. I'll be your guide today."

Such a jovial and enthusiastic attitude... I bet he and Knee Slapper would get along just fine.

Dax grinned.  "Nice to meet you too, Mr. Sax!"

"Oh! So sorry! I didn't mean to be overbearing."

"Calm down, it was a joke. You did fine."

Dax nodded.  "Yeah, you did fine; honestly, I'm a bit, uhm... intrigued... that you already knew my name; I kinda thought my whole trip here was supposed to be kinda low-key, but if Illiad talked to you first, then it makes sense.  No worries, Mr. Sax - if I'd have been on my own, I probably would've come to you anyway, because I like your friendliness!"

It was the truth; Dax enjoyed enthusiasm, and Mr. Sax was no exception.

Speaking of, where were they going exactly? The city was quickly shrinking into the distance.

Dax wondered about that for a moment, then decided he trusted Illiad and worried about it not a moment more.  Besides, he had other questions that were a bit more pressing...

"So, uhm... I know the posters said the concert was tomorrow, so I was kinda wondering if you were getting, like, a preview concert?  Something for folks in your profession, getting a look before the public show goes on?  I-is that what's happening here?"

Curiosity was at an all-time high in the stallion, and his fear was nowhere to be seen; he was certain that, with Illiad, he had nothing to worry about.

"Sorry Dax, but it's part of the surprise that you don't see it coming, even I'm not allowed to see it, so I suppose it's as much a surprise for me as it is for you."

Dax took the blindfold and looked at it.  If it were anyone but Illiad, I'd say no way... but, I guess, when in Troy...

He nodded, then slipped the blindfold over his eyes and tied it - tightly.  He remembered games of hide-and-go-seek he used to play with Oglevy; even though the little scamp had always peeked, Dax never had done so - no need to stoop to a foal's level to win - and had the same mentality when it came to this blindfold.

No peeking; I wanna be surprised!

However, once the blindfold was on, Dax got quiet.  He wasn't upset or such... it was more that he felt like it was important not to cause a problem while he was unable to see, plus he was also trying not to fidget nervously.  Just because he was in the company of those he could trust, the fact he couldn't see still worked at his nerves a bit.

"Well Dax, welcome to Allagipolis."

The young earth pony imply stared around him, trying to look at everything at once.

"Wooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwww..."

He'd known Illiad had spoken of meeting changelings, but he had NOT been ready for this!  He seemed to have a head on a spring, because it kept wheeling back and forth to look at everything around him...

Until he realized that he hadn't said anything to the changelings yet.

"OH!  Uhm, hiya... I'm Dax... I... I'm, uh, glad to meet you.  Sorry, I just... woooooooooowwwwww..."

He glanced around a bit more, then looked back at his hosts and sheepishly grinned.  "Eh heh heh... s-sorry.  I just, uhm... get excited."

• Brohoof 1