Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private A Cultural Exchange 1x1 with Randimaxis

Illiad Easle

On 7/2/2020 at 2:49 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"That... that's an apt comparison I suppose, but I'd refrain from saying it to too many changelings, they might not take the comparison as well as I do. But still, I suppose we are similar to bumblebees in a way, the ponies being like flowers. We go out among them, help them thrive so they can produce 'pollen' that we turn into food. Further, a number of ponies confuse us for wasps or hornets, get scared and lash out.

Still, there are worse things to be compared to, I myself am rather fond of bumblebees, they're very cute up close, they don't want to hurt you, and they help all the beautiful flowers grow. Maybe, when I'm a full queen, I'll have an apiary in my hive."

Dax was relieved her hadn't offended her, but he noted her warning, making sure he wasn't about to say such to anyone else.  However, he could easily see Oracle keeping bees; he could almost picture her standing around her hives, letting the fuzzy bumblebees fly through the holes in her legs, and giggling as they tickled her.

He smiled at the thought, and continued to follow along, wiping his brow when he noticed the heat ramping up.

On 7/2/2020 at 2:49 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"This is the pits! Where we make most the gel for the hive, it's a bit hard to work down here since we have a hot spring in the desert, but it is rich in the minerals we need to survive and they are well compensated. Mother even gives special rewards to those who volunteer to work the pits, special tools for their roles, extra money for the surface, whatever they reasonably ask for."

He watched the activity around them for a bit, then knelt down to inspect one of the pits up close.  He was sweating quite thoroughly, but he didn't seem to mind so much.

"So, this is the emotional stuff that Swift and Carbon let me taste?  Except, I get the idea that dfferent stuff comes from different sources, right?  What emotions make the best gel, if I can ask?"

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

Oracle seemed pleased, glad that Dax was happy to be with her.

2 hours ago, Randimaxis said:

"So, this is the emotional stuff that Swift and Carbon let me taste?  Except, I get the idea that dfferent stuff comes from different sources, right?  What emotions make the best gel, if I can ask?"

Oracle nodded, "Rather, this is what you might call the unflavored form. It's common to all the gels and ambers made by the hive, like soda water before the syrup is added." She motioned towards the end of the hive where the cooled gel was being put in barrels, "The gel gets barreled for transport outside for the harvesters to charge up, then once they're filled they go to the warehouse to feed those who live in the hive."

Oracle led the way back out of the pits as she thought about the third part of Dax's question, "Well, what makes the best gel depends on the hive, while we can eat any type of gel each hive has one or two primary emotions that they prefer, being the ones that formed the majority of their nutrients in the cocoon. This hive is primarily associated with craft and innovation, so Interest and simple Wonder are popular here." She chuckled as she looked over at Dax, "Two that you seem to give off in abundance." She turned her attention back to their path, "As to myself, I'm partial to Camaraderie and Satisfaction, as well as a bit of Love here and there, but who doesn't?"

Soon enough they reached one of the main hallways and followed it slightly upward, "So, from here we'll go to the warehouse, then the nursery and the school, and then" she suddenly stopped as an excited look came over her face as she waved, "Weepy! Over here!" Across the hall was the duo from the concert, the changeling and light grey pegasus mare. The mare herself looked just as new to the place as Dax did, and from what little he could overhear it seemed she was being toured around as well.

The changeling Oracle had called Weepy came over to them when called, giving Dax a polite nod as they approached before bowing a bit more formally to Oracle, who took advantage of the bow to hug his neck, "It's good to see you too princess, did you enjoy the show?" he turned back to the mare, gesturing to Oracle, "This is Princess Delphi, and Princess," he gestured back to the mare, "This is Little Bird, my wife."

Oracle smiled, nodding at the introduction as the mare looked confused at to whether she should bow or how she ought to be greeted, looking to Dax as the only other pony in the hallway for guidance. Oracle then spoke, "I absolutely loved your performance! You even surprised Aunt Sleipnir! And Dax here loved it too!"

Wheepy looked over at Dax with a surprised smile, "So You're Dax? The one we have to thank for our princess' safe return? I've heard good things about you."

• Brohoof 1

On 7/8/2020 at 11:51 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"Two that you seem to give off in abundance."

Dax blushed and gave an awkward chuckle.  "I-is it really that much?"

"As to myself, I'm partial to Camaraderie and Satisfaction, as well as a bit of Love here and there, but who doesn't?"

And just by mentioning Love, she felt a little wisp of it roll off of him; he certainly was feeling a crush on her, but he was trying to be a gentlecolt... well, that and he was utterly clueless about what to do in this sort of situation.  But, knowing or not, he was here, wasn't he?

the mare looked confused at to whether she should bow or how she ought to be greeted, looking to Dax as the only other pony in the hallway for guidance.

Dax, taking the cue from his mother's lessons, gave Little Bird a smile and an honourable bow, his eyes indicating that doing the same would be appropriate. 

"So You're Dax? The one we have to thank for our princess' safe return? I've heard good things about you."

Dax gave Wheepy and Bird one of his patented sheepish grins.  "I'm just glad she made it home safely... and what a home!  And, you say you heard good things about me?  Sir, I heard good things FROM you!  BOTH of you!  That was fantastic!  I've never experienced anything like it before - I'm so glad I got to see the performances tonight... and, before I forget, thank you for what you do.  Music is the sounds our souls would make if they could speak... but tonight, I think I heard so many souls singing..."

He closed his eyes for a moment, sighed, and then blushed a bit as he looked at them again.  "S-sorry; it was THAT good, t-to me."

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

They both smiled at the compliment, Bird speaking up, "Thank you, it was certainly a different experience from what I was used to. I'm sure everyone noticed how nervous I was starting out."

Wheepy chuckled, "You were about as nervous as I was when I told you."

Bird rolled her eyes, "And don't even get me started on that! I mean, don't get me wrong, I do appreciate you telling me, I'm just surprised you waited so long. You know how much I love you. But I suppose now I understand why you were so hesitant to talk about us having foals. Nonetheless," she gestured around them, "I'd say this more than makes up for it."

They shared an affectionate nuzzle before turning their attention back to Dax and Oracle, Wheepy speaking up, "So, something we can do for you two? an autograph maybe?"

• Brohoof 1

On 7/12/2020 at 5:22 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"So, something we can do for you two? an autograph maybe?"

Dax got little stars in his eyes, and started to say yes... when he stopped and grinned sheepishly.

"Actually?  Uhm... I h-had a bit of a different fan request, i-if I might?"

It felt like his bashfulness was trying to swallow him in one single gulp, but Daxter Blackwater wasn't the same colt he used to be.  His time with Illiad Easle, as well as his experiences in Troy, had opened him up a great deal; the past few weeks were working their magic on him, making him something greater than he'd had a chance to be before.  Making him a better pony.

"I, uhm..." Courage, Dax - the worst they can say is 'no'...

"I wanted to know if you would, um... m-maybe let me s-s-sing with you, like, a duet?  Like, REALLY quick, something simple, just on the spot?  I really would like to, er..."

Dax, they just finished a concert!  What are you thinking?  They won't want to sing; they want to rest!  Isn't this a selfish act on your part?

He then stopped his thoughts cold with a single line:  This is a once-in-a-lifetime experience, being in Troy... and every possible moment counts.

He looked at them hoepfully, trying not to fan-gush, and totally fan-gushing anyway.  Even if they said no, even if they laughed at him... he didn't want to hide himself anymore.  The changelings here all accepted him - and that lent a freedom to the earth pony stallion that he didn't have anywhere else.  Freedom to be unafraid.  Freedom to express himself.

Freedom to ask whatever questions he wanted to.  "I mean, i-if you're not... uhm, too tired, or... s-such."

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

All three of them were surprised by Dax's request, clearly it hadn't been something they'd expected him to ask. Bird spoke first, "A duet? I don't know..." Wheepy continued, "Besides, I count four of us here, so it'd be more of a quartet, which is more Hex's thing anyway, but I'll tell you what."

He motioned for the two of them to follow as he led the way down one of the smaller hallways, "I was planning on showing Birdie the practice room, where I learned how to play the guitar, so why don't we go together and see what we can make happen?"

Oracle seemed agreeable to the plan, "That's pretty close to the school, which is where we were headed anyway, and I'm okay with being left out of the singing, I don't have much of a voice for it."

After some time the hallway started to gain a somewhat educational aesthetic, like one would expect in the halls of an elementary school, with small snippits of alphabet, art, history, music, and some new symbols that likely related to more specialized education for changelings. They eventually entered a large room through a small hole, revealing a sort of miniaturized version of the amphitheater with a number of practice instruments in a somewhat disorganized array. Wheepy chuckled, "I know it doesn't look like much, but what's more important is how the room sounds than looks right?" He strummed a lyre, and beside the fact that it was out of tune, it could be heard perfectly from anywhere in the room.

Bird and Wheepy sat next to each other on the stage and looked back at Dax, "So, what exactly were you thinking about when you said you wanted to sing with us? Have you heard one of our songs before?"

On 7/16/2020 at 11:49 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"I was planning on showing Birdie the practice room, where I learned how to play the guitar, so why don't we go together and see what we can make happen?"

Dax nodded excitedly; at this point, HE wasn't even sure what was going to happen - but whatever it was, he just hoped it would be fun for everyone, not just himself.

He was a bit disappointed that Oracle wanted to exempt from it, but he also understood being shy - far be it for Dax Blackwater to blame anyone for that.  So he smiled and nodded... after all, just being near her was good enough; he could always imagine her voice.

"I know it doesn't look like much, but what's more important is how the room sounds than looks right?"

He grinned.  "The only image that matters in a song is the one the music paints on our hearts, right?"

"So, what exactly were you thinking about when you said you wanted to sing with us? Have you heard one of our songs before?"

"Well, actually no - tonight is the first time I've ever had the chance to hear this kind of music; I've been to operettas, musicals and choral performances before... but something like this?  This is so new to me, a-and I just love how the sharing of the music is so complete when it's live like that.  But, um..."

He gave another sheepish grin.  "... I guess I wanted to share too?  I'm just willing to try anything, if you have any songs I know, or... um..." 

Dax mumbled something... then, realizing he mumbled, he claered his throat and said it again.  "I said, or I could... uhm, sh-share oneIf you want."

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

@Randimaxis

Bird and Wheepy shared a look, then shrugged before turning back to Dax with kind yet curious expressions, "Far be it from us to discourage a fan from growing their talents." Wheepy continued, "There's a song or two I could play... I think they've got the sheet music for it around here somewhere..." his amber magic passed over the nearby books before pulling a pair from the stack, he brought one to himself and the other he passed to Dax after opening it to a certain page. "These two are ones I quite enjoy, and they'd be easy enough for you to sing I think. But if you've got another that I could play we'd be happy to oblige."

Wheepy would set to tuning up the guitar with help from Bird while they waited for Dax to make a decision. Bird chuckled as she looked over the piano, "Looks like you're not the only one who hides talons in their hooves to play, there's more than a few dents in these keys."

Wheepy laughed back, "It's certainly a useful feature to have."

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/7/2020 at 1:20 AM, Illiad Easle said:

"These two are ones I quite enjoy, and they'd be easy enough for you to sing I think. But if you've got another that I could play we'd be happy to oblige."

"Oh, I, uh... h-have something in mind, actually... it's something I got from my family's history; it was written before I was born, but... I think it was very cute.  Uhm, if you don't mind, I'd... like to share it with you?  It's kinda simple, but I like it."

Dax grinned sheepishly, but he knew it was a song that was sweet enough to be worthy of such a musical duo.  When they were ready, Dax claered his throat seriously... but he wore a small smile as he began to sing...

As he sang, Dax made little motions to accompany, but kept his eyes closed the entire time; he didn't want to see everyone looking at him and lose his nerve.  The song had been written in one of his ancestor's journals, and it had always struck him as a happy little tune - one he'd wanted to share, yet didn't know who to share it with.  He felt certain they would enjoy it... or, at least, he hoped in his heart that they would.

When he finished, he was blushing a bit... but his smile was wider than the sky.  "Was it okay?" he asked.

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

As Dax was reciting the song it wasn't long before Wheepy started to quietly pluck along on the guitar, before Dax had finished he had figured out a calm bouncing tune to accompany the words.

Once Dax finished the trio on the room applauded politely, Bird smiled with a somewhat impressed look, "That was quite good, you say you memorized it from your family history? That's impressive."

Oracle nodded in agreement, "I'm glad to hear that your history is as important to you as mine is to me."

Wheepy was about to add to the praise when a noise came from the entryway, a changeling head poked through the opening and looked about at the ones gathered, "Um... if it wouldn't be too much trouble, I've got this room reserved for my class in a few minutes, so if you wouldn't mind..."

Wheepy and Bird nodded, "Of course! We'll get out of your way right now."

They stood up to leave, setting the instruments and books back where they had gotten them before offering a hoof for Dax to shake as they went to leave, "An honor to meet you Dax, if there's ever anything we can do to help in the future, you need only ask."

With that, If Dax didn't stop them, they'd head out of the room. Oracle would motion for Dax to follow as she too made for the door, "As much as I loved music class, I don't intend to sit through it again. There's more hive to see and I don't know how much longer Illiad's willing to wait."

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Illiad Easle said:

"That was quite good, you say you memorized it from your family history? That's impressive."

Dax grinned broadly; he was always happy to hear that his time and effort on his family's past was appreciated, and by musicians, no less!

"It was written by my great-great-great-great grandfather, Paxton Blackwater - one of the Blackwaters who had a kind history to him.  I'm glad you liked it!"

Dax had often wondered if, somewhere on the manor grounds, he would ever find the actual toy referred to in the song... but so far, his efforts had been in vain.  Still, the little ditty had stuck in his young head, and he'd carried it with him all the way to Troy - and shared it with those who would enjoy it.

Paxton himself probably would've approved of it, Dax was sure.

5 minutes ago, Illiad Easle said:

"Um... if it wouldn't be too much trouble, I've got this room reserved for my class in a few minutes, so if you wouldn't mind..."

Dax jumped.  "OH!  Sorry sorry sorry..."

6 minutes ago, Illiad Easle said:

"An honor to meet you Dax, if there's ever anything we can do to help in the future, you need only ask."

An honor Really?

"No, no - the honor was all mine, I promise!  Thank you so very, very much for sharing your music with me, and I'm glad I could share in return!"

Dax shook the offered hoof, and waved as they went on their way.  he hoped that he could hear them again someday... yet he felt that, even if he didn't, he'd never forget what he'd listened to tonight.

8 minutes ago, Illiad Easle said:

"As much as I loved music class, I don't intend to sit through it again. There's more hive to see and I don't know how much longer Illiad's willing to wait."

Dax nodded, and followed her out of the room.

"I've actually done quite a study on my family's history..." he then sighed slightly, "even the BAD parts, which are more than I'm happy to admit... but some, like Paxton, were wonderful ponies, and set examples that others would love to follow, I'm sure.  If you ever come out to the quarry, I'd be happy to tell you all about them!"

He then gave an embarrassed grin.  "I-if you like, that is - I won't push."

He felt like he could talk with Oracle about everything...

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

Oracle blushed at the invitation to come to the quarry, "Oh!? I'd, um... I'd love to see your home some day, hopefully soon." She shook off the embarrassment as she walked, the other changelings were watching them with interest as things in the hive were settling back to their regular routines in the wake of the concert. "Let's see then, I think the warehouse and the nursery are the only things I have left to show you... If there's something you'd like to know though don't forget to ask!"

Along the path she took the changelings walking around them started getting smaller until they were generally about Oracle's size, with the occasional full sized changeling among them. These smaller changelings seemed to be grouped together in sets, each set being almost exactly identical outside of small variations in their hole patterns.

Soon enough they arrived at a doorway flanked by two changelings in guard attire who stepped aside for Oracle and Dax to pass. The room was humid, but not terribly so like the gel pits, the room was like a larger version of the tunnels, the walls lined with evenly spaced cocoons with sets of changelings in various stages of gestation. Some looked about ready to burst, but even before they were officially 'born' Dax could see the subtle differences among the foalings inside.

Oracle seemed calmed by the room as she looked lovingly at the unborn foalings surrounding them. "Isn't it beautiful? I can hardly wait until I've matured enough to have a nursery of my own like this..." 

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/27/2020 at 12:25 AM, Illiad Easle said:

The room was humid, but not terribly so like the gel pits, the room was like a larger version of the tunnels, the walls lined with evenly spaced cocoons with sets of changelings in various stages of gestation.

Dax looked with awe at all the... well, 'pupae'?  'Larva'?  He wasn't sure what to call them - but it was sort-of a half and half of both fascinating and creepy... however, he fascination won out over the creepiness, and his natural curiosity took over.

Those are lives in there; changeling lives.  They could grow up to be LITERALLY anything they wanted to... and I'm somewhat relieved that they will be a part of a hive that doesn't wish to prey on others for sustenence.  These might be spies and infiltrators, yes... but they won't be enemies.

At least he hoped not.

On 8/27/2020 at 12:25 AM, Illiad Easle said:

"Isn't it beautiful? I can hardly wait until I've matured enough to have a nursery of my own like this..." 

Dax smiled.  "Well... it'll take a lot of time to fill a chamber like this.  Not to mention crafting a chamber of this size; you'd have to have a HUGE cavern to do something like another hive - and I kinda get the feeling there's not too many of those type of places here in Troy... though I could be wrong."

The quarry mines might be a good locale... IF they weren't constantly being mined, of course.

"How many eggs at a time does a queen lay?" he asked curiously.

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

15 hours ago, Randimaxis said:

Dax looked with awe at all the... well, 'pupae'?  'Larva'?  He wasn't sure what to call them - but it was sort-of a half and half of both fascinating and creepy... however, he fascination won out over the creepiness, and his natural curiosity took over.

Oracle picked up on his mixture of emotion and looked a bit down, "I... I know it's nothing like how ponies make more ponies. To be fair... I suppose I was just as, if not more, uncomfortable learning about how that works than you are now."

"Well... it'll take a lot of time to fill a chamber like this.  Not to mention crafting a chamber of this size; you'd have to have a HUGE cavern to do something like another hive - and I kinda get the feeling there's not too many of those type of places here in Troy... though I could be wrong."

There was a bit of a sad smile as she shook her head, "No, there's no caverns like this in the San Palomino, which is why Mother is the only queen in this area, besides Queens tending to keep their distance. No, I've been raised in preparation to be one of the first queens in Cervidas, specifically in Zebrica, that's why I pretend to be a zebra on the surface. I've been trained since emergence on Zebra culture and the like so I can have the best possible chance of a successful insertion once a good hive location is discovered. But even if I can't find a good cave we're pretty great diggers, maybe not as fast as Diamond Dogs, but our networks tend to last longer."

She seemed sad about her destiny, there was a certain longing in her gaze that Dax would have to be blind to not notice.

"How many eggs at a time does a queen lay?"

Oracle shook herself from her ponderings as Dax's question, "Oh? It depends really on the state of the hive. A hive tends to have three main phases: The Start, where it's just the queen and a few changeling defenders from their mother to get started, the first few batches are small, one two or three are common as the emotional mixes are tried to see what works best given what is in abundance in the area. You don't want a full batch based off an emotion that was running high because of a certain event to have it die out over time, but you also can't wait a full year to start producing or you risk failing to fully insert in the area. Once the hive's core emotions are established the hive enters the Expansion hive where the queen focuses on getting as many changelings gestating as possible, this is easiest if the changelings born in the start have matured enough to gather energy on their own so the queen can focus on producing, I think then the queen can make up to two dozen eggs in a batch? They use much larger cocoons than these for that. Once the hive has expanded far enough that they reach... about 5 to 10 percent of the total population of their area, the hive goes to Homeostasis, the queen reduces production to replace deaths and keep up with the growth rate to maintain proportionality with the populous, about a half dozen to a batch. Occasionally they may need to go back to Expansion in the case of a major tragedy or explosive growth in the area, but those cases are rare."

"Thankfully rare, Expansion is a real hornache."

Oracle looked surprised and turned around to find that her mother, had come up behind them with a bit of a coy smile.

Permu looked to Dax with a curious expression, "How are you enjoying our city? I've heard from my guards that you've been a wonderful source of awe and respect thus far, perhaps we should start offering guided tours to our trusted guests. If they're even half as well cultivated as you we'd hardly need to extract from the surface."

Oracle seemed relieved that her mother wasn't angry at her.

Permu moved over to caress one of the cocoons with a loving expression, "You were telling him about how we reproduce weren't you?"

Oracle stumbled a bit, "W...well, more like the logistics surrounding it, not the process itself."

Permu looked back at Dax with a penetrating stare, seeming to evaluate him similar to how she had stared him down in the office at the bank. She soon nodded with a smile, "Would you like to see for yourself?"

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2020 at 12:57 AM, Illiad Easle said:

"I... I know it's nothing like how ponies make more ponies. To be fair... I suppose I was just as, if not more, uncomfortable learning about how that works than you are now."

"Oh!  No no no no... it's just... different," he assured her, "a-and I just wasn't prepared to see something like this - of course, that's been almost this entire trip!"

He placed a hoof on her shoulder.  "Don't be upset, please; I just wasn't expecting something like this, is all.  I'm not adverse to it, I promise... I just need time to soak it all in."

"No, there's no caverns like this in the San Palomino, which is why Mother is the only queen in this area, besides Queens tending to keep their distance. No, I've been raised in preparation to be one of the first queens in Cervidas, specifically in Zebrica, that's why I pretend to be a zebra on the surface. I've been trained since emergence on Zebra culture and the like so I can have the best possible chance of a successful insertion once a good hive location is discovered. But even if I can't find a good cave we're pretty great diggers, maybe not as fast as Diamond Dogs, but our networks tend to last longer."

You know, Dax... there's miles of caverns at the quarry...

He shook the thought out of his head for now; there would be little chance that his Father would allow such a thing, and even if he did, it would certainly have to be a secret... which might end up backfiring against the quarry itself.  The place was so full of folks, there'd be little chance of hiding any secrets there.

"Thankfully rare, Expansion is a real hornache."

Dax jumped a bit as he heard the Queen's voice.  He quickly moved to where he could see her - and more importantly, where he didn't have his back to her; not out of fear, but more out of not wanting to be rude to royalty.

"How are you enjoying our city? I've heard from my guards that you've been a wonderful source of awe and respect thus far, perhaps we should start offering guided tours to our trusted guests. If they're even half as well cultivated as you we'd hardly need to extract from the surface."

Dax gave one of his sheepish grins again.  "Well, er... I just wanted to be certain that I didn't cause any problems, Your Majesty - that, and I'd love to be invited back sometime."

IF I was ever allowed to, he ruminated.

"It's just all so much wonder and mystery to take in... but Oracle's been explaining a lot about it, and it helps keep my curiosity sated!  She knows quite a lot about the hive, naturally, and she really seems to enjoy sharing about it!"  He then blushed.  "Kinda like how I talk about my family history, when I'm back home; we're a lot alike, in that way!"

He sent a kind smile to Oracle after his words, letting her know how much he appreciated her detailing of the goings-on within the hive.... aaaaaand because he also found it cute that she was as excited as she was about it.  Of course, he also just found her CUTE, but that was beside the point.

"Would you like to see for yourself?"

His muzzle caught a BIG blush, and his embarrassment was difficult to hide; when she said 'reproduction', his mind went directly to how ponies reproduce... but it only took a moment for him to realize that it was probably quite different than he'd learned about pony biology, and his blush went from shocked to just plain embarrassed.  

"Uhm, heh... sorry; when you said reproduce, I thought... er, never mind.  Y-yes, though - I am quite curious to see what you mean, Your Majesty."

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

20 hours ago, Randimaxis said:

"Don't be upset, please; I just wasn't expecting something like this, is all.  I'm not adverse to it, I promise... I just need time to soak it all in."

Oracle smiled, "I'm... I'm glad you're not disturbed. You wouldn't've been the first, which is why, when we do show creatures around, we don't often show this room."

"Well, er... I just wanted to be certain that I didn't cause any problems, Your Majesty - that, and I'd love to be invited back sometime."

Queen Permu nodded, "You've more than proven yourself a trusted friend of our hive. You are welcome to return whenever you like. I'll be passing my approval along to the other queens as well, you'll find that you now have friends in many unexpected places."

"It's just all so much wonder and mystery to take in... but Oracle's been explaining a lot about it, and it helps keep my curiosity sated!  She knows quite a lot about the hive, naturally, and she really seems to enjoy sharing about it!"  He then blushed.  "Kinda like how I talk about my family history, when I'm back home; we're a lot alike, in that way!"

She nodded again, "As she should, she will need to build her own hive soon enough."

"Uhm, heh... sorry; when you said reproduce, I thought... er, never mind.  Y-yes, though - I am quite curious to see what you mean, Your Majesty."

Queen Permu chuckled softly, "You've no cause for concern, your embarrassment is almost as sweet as your awe. Come, a fresh cocoon was prepared just this morning, it's high time it was filled." She led the way down the rows of cocoons, the changelings inside gradually getting smaller the further they went until they arrived at the empty cocoon in question. A pair of changelings stoob by waiting for the queen. She looked back at Dax, "I will demonstrate first, then explain what transpired."

She took a deep breath before approaching the cocoon, she caressed it almost lovingly for a moment before she stuck her horn into the cocoon until her forehead made contact with the outer shell. She took another deep breath, and the gel inside the cocoon seemed to shift as if something had come out of her horn. After a moment she pulled her horn out, none of the gel stuck to her horn, and the cocoon closed up seamlessly behind her. The pair of changelings standing by then charged the gel in the cocoon with their magic.

The queen turned to face Dax again, "It's not much like pony reproduction at all I will say. Changelings are somewhat unique in that regard. Have you ever wondered why changelings are emotivores in the first place? We are a hybrid breed, half biological, by the eggs the queen deposits in the cocoon, and half magic. That is why emotional energy is so crucial to changeling gestation. We are born of magic, and we return to magic in the end."

The queen turned as if to leave, but turned her gaze back on Dax, "Is there anything else you need of me?"

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2020 at 10:15 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"You've more than proven yourself a trusted friend of our hive. You are welcome to return whenever you like. I'll be passing my approval along to the other queens as well, you'll find that you now have friends in many unexpected places."

Friends... 

Dax had to hold back his sheer joy at the idea that, through his meeting with the changelings, he would now have MANY more friends; when he first signed up for the Cultural Exchange program, he'd just wanted a friend - now, it seemed as though he would have far more than he ever imagined.  Heck, he'd even have friends he wouldn't know until they chose to reveal themselves!  It was like putting a bit in a gumball machine, and getting a possibly infinite supply of gumballs in return!

"I hope I can be a friend to them too, Your Majesty," he said, doing his best to hold back his tears of happiness.

"It's not much like pony reproduction at all I will say. Changelings are somewhat unique in that regard. Have you ever wondered why changelings are emotivores in the first place? We are a hybrid breed, half biological, by the eggs the queen deposits in the cocoon, and half magic. That is why emotional energy is so crucial to changeling gestation. We are born of magic, and we return to magic in the end."

The fascination he felt was matched only by the personal excitement he felt at the thought that he was learning more about changelings than most ponies ever knew before; it was thrilling to be present for the creation process - something else that told Dax he was well-trusted here - and to be able to witness such a thing was almost more than he could bear.  He watched attentively, never once did his thoughts or eyes wander as he watched the miracle of changeling life, right in front of him.

"Thank you for sharing this with me, Your Majesty - this is a moment I swear I'll never forget, and I'm honoured you'd trust me so much."

"Is there anything else you need of me?"

Dax's mood shifted from fascinated... to curious, and perhaps a bit worried.

"A-actually, if I may... I do have a question that you might be able to answer for me... i-if you wish to, of course."

He tilted his head a bit.  "If Troy is so very accepting of other races... why do the changelings still have to hide among them?  Shouldn't they be accepted among the other citizens for who they are?"

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

On 11/3/2020 at 5:11 AM, Randimaxis said:

"A-actually, if I may... I do have a question that you might be able to answer for me... i-if you wish to, of course."

He tilted his head a bit.  "If Troy is so very accepting of other races... why do the changelings still have to hide among them?  Shouldn't they be accepted among the other citizens for who they are?"

Both the Queen and Oracle were surprised by Dax's question, but the queen had a kind smile as she nodded, "That is certainly an interesting question, I presume Oracle has taken you to see the vault and the Remembrance?" Oracle nodded, "When you saw the tapestries, were they of ponies, or changelings?" it was a rhetorical question and she only paused a moment before continuing, "Those depicted were of course changelings as ponies, as ponies that they chose to be. We are part magic Daxter, who we are is fluid. The ability to change our appearance is a crucial part of our heritage, our culture, our very being. Make no mistake, we are not hidden among the ponies, we are integrated into their society. A cog able to change its shape to fill any gap." She paused as she looked at Dax, "Two of the changelings you've met, Odys and Oedi, you know them as Swift and Carbon. Is that not who they are? If anything, I think we changelings have the strongest idea of what it means to be who we are, because of all the ponies or creatures we could be, we've chosen to be ourselves."

The Queen would turn to leave, "I hope you find that answer satisfactory, I must be off. Oracle should be able to answer any lingering questions you may have."

Once Queen Permu had left Oracle nodded, "I know it seems like we're hiding, and that is due mostly to the sentiment after the invasion, but this is how we've been for millenia..." She looked like an idea struck her, "Actually, it's on our way to the warehouse anyway, let's go back by the school, if I remember correctly there's a class that's just finishing their first true faces. Maybe they'll be able to explain it better."

If Dax didn't stop her she would lead the way back towards where they had sang together, quickly reaching a room full either of ponies or changelings disguised as ponies, the second being far more likely. The teacher paused their lesson when Oracle stuck her head in, "Princess? to what do we owe the honor?"

Oracle blushed, "Sorry to interrupt Ucld, your group was just finishing their first true faces right? Well, my friend here..." she brought Dax into the room, "Had some questions about why we still disguise even though Troy is so welcoming. I thought maybe a few of your students could express their thoughts on the matter?"

Ucld (Pronounced Euclid) nodded with a smile, "I think that's a great idea, I was going to have them write a paper on their first true face, but I think some could be convinced to speak orally about it instead of a paper."

Most of the ears in the room perked up at that.

Ucld turned his attention to Dax directly, "Is there something specific you'd like them to explain? Or would you just like to hear the basics? Usually they will explain why they've chosen the form they have, and what they think it says about them."

• 2 weeks later...

Dax took in all that Queen Permu told him... but he wasn't quite certain he fully understood yet.  

It still feels like they're being forced to hide who they are, but... he mentally sighed, but I'm NOT a changeling; I guess I can see what she means, but I just can't stop thinking it's not right, somehow, to have to hide like that.  Still, she seems to find it important, and I'm pretty sure the revelation of the identites of changelings in history would probably turn the entire nation upside-down; I may not quite understand it... but I'll respect it enough that I'll keep it a secret.  If it were meant to be told, it would have been told already.  I won't betray their trust like that.

He looked at Oracle and thought, besides, I would NEVER want to cause her any pain or issue - I may not understand your secrets, lovely changeling, but I'll never tell of them.

On 11/5/2020 at 12:44 AM, Illiad Easle said:

"Actually, it's on our way to the warehouse anyway, let's go back by the school, if I remember correctly there's a class that's just finishing their first true faces. Maybe they'll be able to explain it better."

Dax nodded and gave a grin.  "Maybe they could - a school would be the place to learn, right?"

"Sorry to interrupt Ucld, your group was just finishing their first true faces right? Well, my friend here had some questions about why we still disguise even though Troy is so welcoming. I thought maybe a few of your students could express their thoughts on the matter?"

The earth pony gave a shy wave and one of his typical sheepish grins, seeing so many bright young faces at once - regardless of race, the class was filled with cute young changelings, and he fought back an urge to hug them all.

"Is there something specific you'd like them to explain? Or would you just like to hear the basics? Usually they will explain why they've chosen the form they have, and what they think it says about them."

"The basics... might be a good place to start; I'm not a changeling myself, so maybe I just don't understand it all - and in any sort of education, a good foundation is paramount.  Maybe your students could, uhm... h-help me build a proper base for constructing a tower of understanding?"

He blushed a bit at that - it sounded cheesy, even though it had seemed like the right thing to say.  Dax was a bit embarrassed by his lack of knowledge, but he was willing (and eager) to learn all he could... even if he sounded like a doofus in front of the entire class.

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis

18 hours ago, Randimaxis said:

"The basics... might be a good place to start; I'm not a changeling myself, so maybe I just don't understand it all - and in any sort of education, a good foundation is paramount.  Maybe your students could, uhm... h-help me build a proper base for constructing a tower of understanding?"

While a few of the students muttered amongst themselves at Dax's comment, the teacher nodded and turned to the class, "Alright, you've heard the stallion, do we have any volunteers?"

The class was silent for a moment before one of them raised a hoof, one who had been sitting in the back corner. The teacher looked a bit surprised, "Lind?" the changeling didn't wait for confirmation before he came up to the front of the room, he was somewhat smaller than the rest of those in the classroom. He stood at the front of the room and took a deep breath before he began, mostly dividing his gaze between Dax and his peers. There were a few more mutterings in the class before he started to speak, weakly at first but gaining strength and confidence as he went, "It may be a surprise to some, given my prior performance in this class, but this assignment really meant something to me. It gave me a chance to look inside myself and ask, 'who am I?' 'what do I look like on the inside?' I studied each of the races, looked into their cultures to see what resonated with me. I even looked into races that I couldn't realistically be to give contrast to the rest. Then, having picked a race, and it being one with a mark, I went to the Remembrance and the archive, looked at past legacies and marks I could uphold. When I learned of the Thestrals, I felt a kinship to them. They, like me, feel seperated from the rest, like they're not quite a part of the larger set. They are also loyal, brave, true, things I want to be." Amber fire rolled across his form, changing the mostly nondescript stallion he had been into a handsome, if not a bit scruffy looking, thestral, or almost, as he opened his mouth to show a lack of fangs typical of thestrals, "Out of respect to thestral culture, I elected to not try and pose a a full blooded member of their race. Nonetheless, as I read through the archive I came across a bat pony like me, Midnight Twister, who had helped in integrating thestrals into Trojan Society around 500 years ago. Pending approval, I wish to take his name and mark as my own."

The class and teacher were silent as the changeling, now potentially called Midnight, finished his speech, The teacher nodded, "I, um, thank you for volunteering. I'm glad this assignment had such an impact on you."

Midnight nodded with a smile, then turned to Dax, "Maybe if I could explain more directly, this form," he gestured to himself, "Is more than just a disguise. It isn't something to be used and thrown away, it's something special. As important to me as I think your mark is to you. This is who I am on the inside, being shown to the world."

With that he returned to his seat, a much different swing to his gait than when he walked up, there was confidence to him now.

The next changeling to come forward expressed a similar sentiment to the first, he became a hippogriff as he had expressed admiration for the griffons, but lacked the mass to be a full griffon himself, so he became the next closest thing, as hippogriffs did not typically have marks he did not give himself one. When he had finished his speech he also turned to Dax and expressed a more direct opinion, "If anything, Troy being more accepting of all races, including changelings, allows me a greater freedom to be who I am inside. I don't feel like I'm hiding like this, but rather I'd feel like I was hiding if I tried to be anyone else."

After the second changeling the teacher turned his attention back to Dax, "Have we done an adequate job of broadening your understanding? Is there something you'd like to have explained in greater detail?"

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/19/2020 at 11:45 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"Have we done an adequate job of broadening your understanding? Is there something you'd like to have explained in greater detail?"

Dax had listened intently through the descriptions and personal experiences of the students as they spoke up, and he had to admit that they most certainly had chosen well in each instance.  Again, he was awed and humbled by the sort of history that was displayed here, circles within circles as the past is brought forth again.  It was like a form of reincarnation, except also partially a memorial AND a continuation... it was a lot to take in.

The earth pony stallion had a decent history himself... but this?  This went far beyond his own (comparitively) small family tree.

"Actually, I learned a good bit from your students' presentations here, and I thank you - ALL of you - for taking the time to include and explain on my behalf."

He gave a polite bow, then turned to leave... and stopped.

Slowly, he faced the classroom again, and gave a shy smile.  "It's kinda different for those of us who can't change shape - we're stuck with the dilemma of having to be the one defining ourselves outwardly from scratch.  We have to follow who we are inside as well, but those who know us come to know what to expect when they see us - if I'm always an honest pony with the folks in the marketplace, then they'll associate my muzzle with honesty.  Therefore, as long as I continue to be honest - and I will - then they'll look forward to seeing me when I show up.  We have to represent what we want to be, and hope that others see the best in it."

He grinned.  "Our cultures are so different, yet so very many parallels between them - it's really pretty nifty, getting to see all of this firsthoof.  I'm glad you shared this part with me; it does help me to understand a bit more, and understanding is what leads to peace, in my opinion."

He then looked at the teacher.  "Uhm, if... there's any questions, they're okay by me to ask them - unless you'd rather get back to class, ma'am?"

@Randimaxis

(Glad to see you back, now I've got to remember where we were headed.)

Oracle seemed pleased at Dax's response, as did the teacher and the class. Ucld simply smiled and shook his head, "Always a pleasure to nurture a curious mind, but I've got to keep these 'lings on track or they won't be ready for their graduation."

Oracle would lead the way back out of the classroom, once they had traveled some distance she sighed, "I'm... I'm glad you're so understanding of us Dax. I know most ponies would never even give us the time of day, much less listen to our culture and try to understand our ways. I was worried, for a moment after you had saved me, that you might be like them. I'm very happy to see that you really do care."

She followed it up with an affectionate nuzzle before taking the lead again. Come on! There's just one thing left to show you.

Back downward they would go, to an area not far from the slime pits where they made the changeling gel, "Finally getting to the warehouse, it seems like we kept getting sidetracked whenever I tried to get us here."

The room was cool and dry that Oracle led Dax into, not unlike a wine cellar with wall to wall casks of labeled barrels, the vast majority being Inspiration and Simple Wonder, "Looks like we've got a bit of Satisfaction left, my favorite." She dipped a spoon in and brought up a scoop of the amber jelly before holding it out to Dax, "You want to try some?"