S05:E24 - The Mane Attraction  

227 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• I hated it!
    • Nope. Didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was OK
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT .... HOOFSIES <3

I loved the really bad pop song that Rara performs during rehearsal--all auto-tune, synthesizers, etc.  It was hilarious and AJ's response was spot on.  As I hear a lot of contemporary pop due to my daughter, I can attest that a lot of contemporary music is that over-produced and fake sounding.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa

Whoa

That was NOT a bad song, it's just there to show what her manager is making her do to build up her image instead of the things she really cares about, such as  Equestria Our Home and I Am Just a Pony

Although a filly belting out in that deep a voice had me in hysterics

• Brohoof 2

Do we have actual proof that Coloratura hates this kind of music. No? Then it is baseless.

When did AJ make the claim that she hated that kind of music? She said it was weird, and that she changed, and that it definitely didn't seem to fit her, but never did she make the claim she hated it, as far as I remember.

It is common knowledge that an artist writes his or her own songs, I rewatched the scene to be sure Svengallop didn't compliment himself on writing the song, but he was only responsible for the lights, choreography, and voice sound effects. Anyone with a pulse could probably tell you at that juncture that she probably wrote the song herself.

Really?

I would say she has more than one style to offer, as a lot of people seem to really like her first piece. The song change at the end signaled a change that she would not be used by someone else for their own personal gain. But just because she changed her song dismantles nothing.

Of course she's capable of more than one style, but she's definitely behaving as though she was not in complete liberty of what she wanted to; after all, she herself admitted it within her song. That's the point of the song.

"Flashing lights" and tech support are the same thing. He outright stated those were his ideas, but does that necessarily mean the music was his? No, it does not. Artists usually have more than one style of music in their repertoire anyway.

He attributed himself to the music. She attributed him to the music (when he's no longer working with her). And yes, he does actually outright state they were his ideas, as he said that he made her into Countess, not the other way around. There's a lot more evidence for the fact that he made her image rather than she doing it herself.

The fact remains that Applejack was judgmental on a pony she didn't know well at all. That's the main issue, while I'll reiterate my point that it is great she caught Svengallop, I believe it could've been written better to make it seem like Applejack wasn't as judgemental as she was.

She was judgmental of the songs, I admit to that, and she could have had more tact, but she really started actually confronting her about her manager only after she found out her manager was using her. Applejack isn't perfect. Maybe you would have been happier if there was something to address that her disposition had been misguided, but to be fair, other ponies called her out for this behavior and since it wasn't the point of the episode I think that's enough.

Also, you don't need to be so condescending in your reply. We're having a debate here, not you trying to prove I'm an idiot. I'm sorry I made a mistake and missed that it wasn't you who said that but someone else. Please stop using phrases like "anyone with a pulse", or "reading comprehension is important". A simple "I didn't say that" would've made the same point without the undertone that you think I'm a moron.

Edited by Lady Bow
  • Brohoof 2

It could be just me, but the story seemed more simplified for the younger audience than usual.

This episode has its enjoyable moments, though. Mostly Coloratura singing.

EDIT: I was also surprised when I read that Svengallop wasn't voiced by Lee Tockar, but Colin Murdoch (an actor I haven't heard of before.)

Edited by Grepper

Oooh, ooh, ooh... I think I can answer this!!!

Perhaps RaRa wasn't saying AJ was jealous of her fame, maybe she was hinting AJ was jealous of Svengallop being with her? You'll note RaRa never actually specifies what she thinks AJ is jealous of, and in fact only brings up the notion of jealousy after AJ throws Sven under the bus.

The implication being... AJ felt something a little more than just friendship for RaRa back at Summer Camp. Maybe she confessed that to her at the end of the stay, but RaRa told her she didn't feel the same and they should only be friends? It would explain why they stopped writing letters after a while - it was just too awkward.

Of course, I would think AJ would remember her "friend" a little more than she did in the episode if there were still feelings. But maybe AJ moved on?  

I appreciate the effort, but I'll admit that I find that theory a little hard to believe. I don't recall any other indications in the episode that Applejack had a crush on Rara, or that Rara and Svengallop were in a romantic relationship. Also, the flashback depicts Applejack and Rara as being pretty young at Camp Friendship, maybe the equivalent of pre-teens. So Applejack may not have been mature enough to have a crush on Rara, and even if she did, they were still young enough that I think it would be strange for such a crush to be taken seriously many years later.

Regarding the discussion among @@takai, @@Dark Qiviut@, and @@Truffles, I largely agree with @@takai's and @@Truffles's points. I don't think that Applejack or we can definitively say that Coloratura was unsatisfied with the Countess Coloratura persona and style of music, or that Coloratura was manipulated/intimidated into accepting them, or that it would be right/good to abandon them because they aren't the "true" Coloratura. Svengallop does say that he came up with the idea of Countess Coloratura and designed her show. But it's possible that (1) Coloratura genuinely likes the Countess Coloratura persona, the design of the show, the style of music she's performing, etc., even if she didn't come up with them. And even if the Countess Coloratura persona and style of music aren't Coloratura's first preference, it's possible that (2) she derives more pleasure from satisfying all the fans of Countess Coloratura and her highly-produced dance-pop than she would from having a different public persona and performing a different style of music; and/or (3) she derives more pleasure from the fame and fortune that go with being and performing as Countess Coloratura than she would from having a different public persona and performing a different style of music. I don't think Applejack or we can definitively conclude from what we saw in this episode that Coloratura was manipulated or intimidated by Svengallop into accepting the Countess Coloratura persona and style of music against her "true" wishes.

In light of this, I think it's not clear whether Coloratura's transition from the dance-pop star Countess Coloratura to the traditional pop singer Rara is the right or good decision to make. If any of (1)-(3) above are true, and if the transition results in a large-scale abandonment by her fans and decrease in popularity, then the transition might be a net negative decision for her, even if we or Applejack might like the "new" Rara better. And I'm not sure that the applauding/cheering for Rara's performance of "The Magic Inside" can be taken as evidence that Coloratura's transition to a traditional pop singer would result in her remaining popular. For one thing, the audience at a charity concert with many other artists performing isn't necessarily representative of Countess Coloratura's fans in general. But even with whatever fans of Countess Coloratura are in the audience, it could be that they felt compelled to applaud her performance, even if they didn't really like it, because all of the performances are for a charitable cause. Or maybe Countess Coloratura's fans in the audience enjoyed the performance as a one-time thing, but would generally still prefer that she continue to record and perform the highly-produced dance-pop for which she's known. So, again, it doesn't seem like Applejack or we can definitively say that Coloratura would be better off, or more "true to herself", by abandoning her career as the dance-pop star Countess Coloratura for a career as the traditional pop singer Rara.
  • Brohoof 2

Well, that was quite the sight! Lady Gaga pony played by Lena Hall, awesome songs that could give Let it Go a run for its money and more info on Applejack's past and references to other Rogers episodes. Noice. Yeah, Svengallop was quite an unbearable a-hole, but it's still a worthy episode for Miss Rogers to leave the show. Goodbye Amy, may Celestia and Luna be with you as you work for the great empire of Mickey Mouse.

I do wish the show would give us some more background on AJ and Ra Ra. They also should give us more of the songs that Ra Ra did when she had her stupide manager. That one song was really cool. Though I don't understand why the unicorn had to put magic at her voice box for the first part. I could do that on my own.

I'm up for more songs from Rara and her Countess days. I did kind of feel like a traitor with how much I loved The Spectacle. It was like Rainbow Rocks, where I couldn't help liking the Dazzlings songs more. Not to say I didn't enjoy The Magic Inside. It's right up with the Lost Mark songs for me (top spot). Hasbro really needs to realize that it can make millions if it deployed the Great and Powerful Ingram through full commercial albums. I've bought all the albums they've put out so far. Even the limited physical copy remix album.  :squee:

I just realized Applejack's nickname for Coloratura, Rara was from Gaga. 

She made a good performance and has been given a good reputation thanks to Svengallop. But her real self is so boring, not a very interesting character without her Countess Coloratura alter ego.

If it wasn't for Svengallop she would of ended up as boring as... dare I say Applejack. Thought Applejack is still more interesting than Coloratura's true self.

Edited by cider float

I loved the really bad pop song that Rara performs during rehearsal--all auto-tune, synthesizers, etc.  It was hilarious and AJ's response was spot on.  As I hear a lot of contemporary pop due to my daughter, I can attest that a lot of contemporary music is that over-produced and fake sounding.

Yet somehow her later down-to-earth performance was just as much of a bore, and just as "seen it a thousand times before".

I guess there are only a handful of songs I've really ever liked from this show (Find a Pet, the Flim Flam Brothers song, Bats), but this one's songs just really made me feel sour about the episode.

Although my attention was drawn from the Lady Gaga style song because all of the flashing, I had to look away.

>"Band Nerd for Life"

>Heartfelt power ballad comes on full of soaring vocals and orchestra/piano

>Not loving it

Wut

Band = An instrumental ensemble of brass/woodwinds and percussion.

Song in the show = American Idol vocals with the most generic background piano and strings ever imaginable. (Even though it's not supposed to, it all sounds very mass-produced)

I'm failing to make the connection/supposed contradiction here.

Edit: I may be a little harsh on the vocals, I'm not saying they're bad... I'm just not a vocal person, really.

Edited by Envy

In an episode like this, Applejack having to develop wouldn't work. Like how the first four seasons were about learning lessons, season five is partially about spreading those lessons to others in need. Coloratura needed to be told and learn to live as herself because Svengallop manipulated her into living a façade. This episode plays into AJ's strengths.

Which explains why I didn't enjoy this episode very much, no? I was expressing my preference for episodes NOT like this one. Episodes which play into Applejack's strengths are less interesting to me than ones where she has to have an internal struggle and develop, or where we learn something about her character (personality wise) which we didn't know before. Particularly AJ, since she generally has less room for development than the others of the Mane Six. (Which is the basis for all the annoying "AJ is a background pony" jokes - thankfully, those are rare these days.) 

Full review: http://thebeardedreviewer.com/friendship-is-magic-s5e24-the-mane-attraction

Funny, if AJ's wisdom was so necessary for this epic friendship problem, why didn't the cutie map summon her to wherever RaRa lives? Woulda coulda shoulda.

Maybe because the map would only tell them to go to places if the opposite couldn't be true. Cases where it would need to give the mane six the first push.
In this case, RaRa came to Applejack, and the rest was history. Who's to say that the map can't tell when it's not necessary to glow?

Band = An instrumental ensemble of brass/woodwinds and percussion.

Song in the show = American Idol vocals with the most generic background piano and strings ever imaginable. (Even though it's not supposed to, it all sounds very mass-produced)

Really? I thought it was full of personality and soul, like true friggin music. That was kinda the point of it.
I definitely got teary eyed when the girls did.

And to be honest, using terms like generic and mass-produced for something like this, which was made to be OPPOSITE of the ACTUAL mass produced song we heard earlier in the episode, just makes me assume you're a hipster.

Edited by Luffyiscool

Full review: http://thebeardedreviewer.com/friendship-is-magic-s5e24-the-mane-attraction

Maybe because the map would only tell them to go to places if the opposite couldn't be true. Cases where it would need to give the mane six the first push.

In this case, RaRa came to Applejack, and the rest was history. Who's to say that the map can't tell when it's not necessary to glow

Eh I have no idea. Which is why I can't stand the invention of the cutie map. It introduces too much margin of error in storytelling and lends to plotholes. Absolutely unnecessary device for a kids show. If the cutie map calls them when needed, then AJ should have kept her mouth shut in this case, RaRa was just fine on her own.

I appreciate the effort, but I'll admit that I find that theory a little hard to believe. I don't recall any other indications in the episode that Applejack had a crush on Rara, or that Rara and Svengallop were in a romantic relationship.

I agree, I was taking the leap to this idea since a lot of fans immediately shipped them (yeah I know, everypony gets shipped at some point) and also the show is usually pretty low key about showing any kind of relationship beyond friendship (with BigMarble being a rare exception) so any hint - no matter how trivial - at anything romantic between two characters makes me stop to think whether it's possible.

Also, the flashback depicts Applejack and Rara as being pretty young at Camp Friendship, maybe the equivalent of pre-teens. So Applejack may not have been mature enough to have a crush on Rara, and even if she did, they were still young enough that I think it would be strange for such a crush to be taken seriously many years later.

My first crush was on a girl in kindergarten when I was five, so that's why I thought it was plausible. :)

I suppose my thinking here was both of them were over it, but RaRa might have remembered said crush back in camp and jumped to conclusions that AJ wasn't over it and that's why she thought AJ was jealous around Svengallop.

In this case, RaRa came to Applejack, and the rest was history. Who's to say that the map can't tell when it's not necessary to glow?

I was wondering about this as well. RaRa was definitely in a bad situation with Svengallop long before she came to Ponyville, so why didn't the map send AJ to go help her out sooner? It implies the map can see the future and knows when a troubled soul is going to cross paths with one of the element bearers, eventually, and won't bother sending them out, leaving the character to suffer in the interim.

Of course the real reason is because of show production schedules and having multiple writers, but I'm just saying... :)

The map didn't glow for Twilight rekindling her friendship with Moon Dancer either.

Exactly!

If the cutie map calls them when needed, then AJ should have kept her mouth shut in this case, RaRa was just fine on her own.

This was one of the other arguments I was going to make as to why AJ could have kept her nose out of RaRa's business and slept with a clean conscious: The map didn't say there was a problem, so there wasn't anything that needed fixing... But I agree, it's a problem having the cutie map as a plot device.

• Brohoof 1

That was nice!

They took a pretty cliche theme, but they really pulled it off. Lena Hall fit the role perfectly, and the ending was just amazing!

I also love seeing the mane 6 interact with other than others of the mane 6 as friends. It really satisfies me, and makes them feel much more like real people

• Brohoof 2

Do you think this is a good episode to show newcomers?

I think it is. It shows that there is high quality in this show, that it doesn't live up to its stereotype, and that ponies can sing rather fabulously :3

• Brohoof 3

The Mane Attraction

Plot and Characterization

"An old friend of Applejack's has become a huge pop star and Applejack fears that the singer's manager does not have her best interests at heart."

Pretty basic and straightforward plow with the manager taking advantage of  the product he created with Coloratura for his own gain, and it had an alright message as far the moral goes but a little bit weaker compared to the past several episodes in this department. One of the more predictable episodes in quite some time.

Applejack was rather straight forward while calling things out as they are, and it was nice to see more of her past with her backstory with Coloratura.

Coloratura was handled pretty well in regards to her Countess persona, and also her real self while struggling with some confidence issues as played the part of the Countess to the point where she might have been starting to believe herself it after her manager walked out on her.

Svengallop, or was the classic sleazy manager taking advantage of his client to better his own gain. Similar to Zeb the Zebra from G1, but  Svengallop may be worse as he was not working for anyone else.

Everyone else was kind of there with Pinkie Pie, Rarity, and Twilight playing some of the more notable minor roles with Pinkie Pie handling the demands, Twilight using her skills to expose the manager, and Rarity trying convince Applejack over the creative process behind Countess Coloratura. The CMC’s were there too.

9/10

Animation and Music

The music was pretty decent for an episode taking place around a charity event concert. I did not care for the first song used in the flashback and also as a reprise in the end of the episode, but the other two songs, Time for the Spectacle, and I am Just a Pony were somewhat memorable..

Animation was quite lovely with all those theatrics in the performances at the concert and initial run through, and seeing Pinkie Pie’s facial expressions as she was being worn down by the manager’s demands was nice. Nifty recording and projection spell used by Twilight as well, but this episode seemed rather toned down in this department compared to other episodes having things stand pop out in terms of such details.

8/10.

Voice Acting and Dialogue

Lena Hall did a nice job of voicing and singing for Colortura, and everyone else  sounded spot on.

There was not a whole lot in terms of memorable zingers, but the dialogue did its job in telling the story while conveying the emotions of such characters by keeping things simple.

9/10

Overall this episode scores a 26/30 or  an 8.7/10 (after rounding up). A little weaker than the past five episodes, but a pretty good episode  for what it is even if it has some flaws that drags it down a little bit for me. A pretty good way to end AKR’s tenure on the show, and a solid penultimate episode for this season, but next week is going to be crazy.

And to be honest, using terms like generic and mass-produced for something like this, which was made to be OPPOSITE of the ACTUAL mass produced song we heard earlier in the episode, just makes me assume you're a hipster.

"Hipster"? Lol. No, you're missing my point. I'm saying it disappointed me because it felt just as mass produced and generic as the song earlier in the episode. That style of song, the way the piano and strings are played/used... It's nothing special at all. A style of pop that I'm pretty sure I've also heard a billion times over.

Seriously, when the background strings showed up I was like "Oh, brother". How cliche can a song get?