227 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• I hated it!
    • Nope. Didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was OK
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT .... HOOFSIES <3

It is common knowledge that an artist writes his or her own songs,

You should rephrase that because on the whole it is not true. It wasn't true back in the day and isn't true today. Have you ever heard of Carole King, Otis Blackwell, Kenny "Babyface" Edmonds, the Bryant's, Barry Mann and Cynthia Weill, Allen Toussaint, etc. I know you heard the music and lyrics that they wrote for other performers like Elvis. You want to go more recent ...  J. Holiday, Usher, Yung Joc, Jesse McCartney, Mariah Carey, Ciara, Brandy, Diddy, Mary J. Blige, and Beyoncé all had songs written by The-Dream. Let us take a look at pop ... Madonna was a performer/vocalist ... not a music writer. Patrick Leonard wrote the music while she wrote lyrics. So ... no ... in pop you usually have a few key writers that write music or lyrics for performers. That said, Lady Gaga is a songwriter and actually wrote for many many famous singers and bands before she had her chance. 

It is common knowledge that a famous artist replies on their producer to present them with the best written songs that fit their specific talent and image. ;)

It wouldn't shock me to learn that Sven-o actually had a hoof at playing with her music. ;)

• Brohoof 1

I am pretty sure this whole episode is a tribute to lady gaga - if you go on twitter her handle is even "the countess"

Stefani, aka lady gaga, originally was a woman with an exceptional voice that was ignored because she was normal looking - you can still find her normal albums out under just stefani - and so she changed into something she was not - and now she has put her foot down as she tries to revert back to who she is. It matches right up to the white hair.

https://www.facebook.com/CollectiveEvolutionPage/videos/10153693057953908/?pnref=story

Edited by Chronamut
  • Brohoof 1

Once again the show attempts to, in a single episode, abruptly introduce someone from a main character's past and force me to care about them, and once more it falls flat.

Countess "Rara" (a transparent parody of Lady Gaga; I'm still not sure what her actual name is) has absolutely no personality or depth... there simply isn't enough time in one episode to develop a complex sympathetic character, shoehorned in as an old buddy of Applejack's and tied in the narrative to the equally-important bad guy, AND give a dignified viewer a reason to care.

The episode's pacing and elegance are abysmal. The villain becomes obvious about 10% into the episode and of course has no redeeming qualities whatsoever, whereas Rara is an ingenue with no consequential character flaws, and no plot twists not seen from six miles away are found. There isn't even an obstacle or puzzle -- Rara instantly recognizes Applejack, hasn't lost any of her "nice girl" traits, and her initial anger at Applejack's pointing out how insultingly obviously her manager is abusing his position vanishes into complete cooperation the very next time they speak.

The low point of the episode is thankfully early on. In order to make it clear who Rara is, she performs the world's shortest troll video: about thirty seconds of a Twilight-worthy technically-a-dance with Hard Gay stallions gyrating in spiked black leather, Autotune complete with digital stutter effect -- didn't we already do lipsync in Filli Vanilli?! -- and flipping the entire frame horizontally in time with the music like a Youtube poop.

The episode's story builds in fake drama before suddenly crumbling apart with an abrupt stutter into a thoroughly mediocre piano number slash pony power anthem which suffers from the show's trademark godawful lyrics and the increasingly cringeworthy campiness begun in season 5.

As is unnervingly common for this show, Rara suffers absolutely no consequences for blowing off a longtime manager, completely changing her theme and musical style, and generally alienating the majority of her fan base. Essentially, "Rara" is a Rarity clone -- even the name is similar -- but with none of her depth or charm. Just like the infamous couturier, Rara is on paper torn between success and generosity, but can still have her cake and eat it too without doing anything more than wanting it a lot.

This show used to be far more self-aware than this farce. I wish Rara hadn't gotten lost on her way to Equestria Girls.

Edited by Lucky Shot
  • Brohoof 3

What pony are we going to get next Justin Bieber pony?

I vote for the name Bustin Jieber.

Not the most thematically appropriate of names...

I am pretty sure this whole episode is a tribute to lady gaga - if you go on twitter her handle is even "the countess"

Stefani, aka lady gaga, originally was a woman with an exceptional voice that was ignored because she was normal looking - you can still find her normal albums out under just stefani - and so she changed into something she was not - and now she has put her foot down as she tries to revert back to who she is. It matches right up to the white hair.

https://www.facebook.com/CollectiveEvolutionPage/videos/10153693057953908/?pnref=story

Yeah I was really getting the Lady Gaga vibe for a good part of the episode. The songs though were amazing to me. Probably on my top song list for favorites this year for MLP. 

Yes, the part that was missing in the middle was a full falling out between AJ and RaRa after AJ first made the accusations against Svengallop.
Usually, a character has to jump through a couple of hoops to win the trust of the dissenting party.
Though I give benefit of the doubt to it, since their friendship still seemed strong enough for RaRa to not completely ignore the claims.
She may have known deep down that honest AJ wouldn't intentionally do her wrong.

Great episode with a awesome story and epic music. I really love "The Magic Inside", my favorite song from S5. Lena Hall is an phenomenal singer and actress. The other songs are good too (I hope on some epic remixes from "The Spectacle"). Thanks Amy Keating Rogers for her work on MLP and her brilliant episodes. 

• Brohoof 3

So that first song is "supposed" to be good?  Hmmm.  I don't see it and I disagree.  It seemed like a parody of really bad over-produced pop music to me.  Jaw-droppingly bad, actually, but in a very funny way.

The only good thing left on these shows is the songs. The writing has gone down terribly but the songs remain okay. 

But to be a bit honest and stop lying to myself the songs have gone down too, they're just not as memorable as before. 

Edited by cider float

Great episode with a awesome story and epic music. I really love "The Magic Inside", my favorite song from S5. Lena Hall is an phenomenal singer and actress. The other songs are good too (I hope on some epic remixes from "The Spectacle"). Thanks Amy Keating Rogers for her work on MLP and her brilliant episodes. 

You aren't the only one wanting those remixes.  :please:

It took me eight watches to finally realize it was Sweetie Belle who levitated the triangle up at the end. When I'm unobservant....geez, am I unobservant.  :P

• Brohoof 1

Man, cannot get enough of The Magic Inside... didn't notice RaRa's tears during the song first time I saw it, makes things really touching. Dunno if I could listen to the song without that visual now. :wub::(

• Brohoof 2

I loved the song where it ends the note in E-flat (Eb) in "The Magic Inside" and A-flat (Ab) in "Equestria, the Land I Love" by Lena Hall as the voice of Countess Coloratura! :D
Also, I fall in love and happiness at the ending part when Applejack and Countess Coloratura hug at each other! :wub:

• Brohoof 1

Man, cannot get enough of The Magic Inside... didn't notice RaRa's tears during the song first time I saw it, makes things really touching. Dunno if I could listen to the song without that visual now. :wub::(

I know right?!?

That's what made that song for me, the emotion that poured out of the screen when she started crying.

I was like "Sing it gurl! Sing it!!"

Edited by Luffyiscool
  • Brohoof 2

The only good thing left on these shows is the songs. The writing has gone down terribly but the songs remain okay. 

But to be a bit honest and stop lying to myself the songs have gone down too, they're just not as memorable as before. 

I don't know, I feel like the song didn't really live up to this episode. I would have found the episode to be pretty good, if only the true-to-herself song was not so horribly bland. It still is a better middle-of-the-road episode from this season, though. There are much better, but there are also much worse.

Octavia's silhouette was amoung the orchestra behind Rara during "The Magic Inside." I love that this show includes details like this.

I'd say this episode makes my Top 10 all time favorite list, but MLP has so many good episodes it is getting tough to choose only 10. Not a bad problem to have if you ask me.

Edited by ElegantNerd
  • Brohoof 1