S05:E24 - The Mane Attraction  

227 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• I hated it!
    • Nope. Didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was OK
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT .... HOOFSIES <3

While I didn't like this episode as much as Crusaders of the Lost Mark, it definitely made my list of favorite episodes.

Rara is certainly the most interesting pony I've seen this whole season, and I hope to see her in S6, although part of me doubts she'll come back later in the show.

Also, I'm just a sucker for episodes containing a song.

When I watch episodes like this, I feel bad for the people out there who don't give this show a chance. This episode was amazing. I feel like the "old friend who was talented is now super famous" premise has been done before, but this episode did a really great job with it. Instead of making Rara a totally unlikeable dick, she ended up still having the kind personality she had when Applejack met her, and making the manager the dick instead. Speaking of Rara, I love her. I hope we see more of her.

The other characters were great too. They were all in character, and I'm glad we got to see other characters besides Applejack and Rara contribute to the story. The pacing was kinda all over the place, but who the hell cares! The songs in this episode were awesome too. Lena Hall is extremely talented and I'm glad she enjoyed being on the show.

The moral hit home for me, especially since I'm going through a pretty rough time right now. I'm gonna miss Amy Keating Rogers. I never really appreciated her that much until after she left. The Magic Inside made me cry for the first time in a while. That is all. 10/10

I still chuckle how younger rara somehow had an adult voice.. at least pitch it up or something..

Haha, this was the exact same thing I was thinking when I first watched the episode.
  • Brohoof 3

Ehhh... the lyrics of the Spectacle "...I'm not just anypony you should know..." and her I am Just a Pony "Because they know, I am just a pony..." they are supposed to go against each other. But I don't see the difference between what Applejack was doing any different than what Starlight Glimmer was doing. Trying to make other ponies mundane and prevent them from showing off their talents, you're just another pony and you're not special. Also wouldn't Svengallop's talent be preparing those props? So he shouldn't do what he was gifted to do and should just go and sit in a corner? He shouldn't be proud of his talents?

If the message was, don't be too demanding (which Svengallop's main problem was) or if there was more conflict shown with Coloratura not wanting to do her performances for whatever reason that would make sense but as far as it's shown it just looked like Applejack wanted Coloratura to be the way Applejack remembered which is pretty selfish.

I actually found Coloratura's biggest problem was that she was a doormat that just followed whatever others told her to do. Applejack ordering her around and her complying to it was no different.

Edited by cider float
  • Brohoof 3

Ehhh... the lyrics of the Spectacle "...I'm not just anypony you should know..." and her I am Just a Pony "Because they know, I am just a pony..." they are supposed to go against each other. But I don't see the difference between what Applejack was doing any different than what Starlight Glimmer was doing. Trying to make other ponies mundane and prevent them from showing off their talents, you're just another pony and you're not special. Also wouldn't Svengallop's talent be preparing those props? So he shouldn't do what he was gifted to do and should just go and sit in a corner? He shouldn't be proud of his talents?

If the message was, don't be too demanding (which Svengallop's main problem was) or if there was more conflict shown with Coloratura not wanting to do her performances for whatever reason that would make sense but as far as it's shown it just looked like Applejack wanted Coloratura to be the way Applejack remembered which is pretty selfish.

I actually found Coloratura's biggest problem was that she was a doormat that just followed whatever others told her to do. Applejack ordering her around and her complying to it was no different.

No surprise, the Mane 6 have made other characters conform to their standards before. Applejack was hellbent on ruining the Countess Coloratura which many ponies enjoyed. Wet blanket just going to be a wet blanket. :smug:

It felt like there wasn't much time which would have done this story good, would have made for a good two part episode.

Svengallop didn't even use the power of contract against Coloratura, which the worst managers would do..

Edited by Singe
  • Brohoof 2

I found this episode to be a "shipping" episode. Right after I finished it I saw deviant art and...

WABAM! Aj x Lady Gaga... Wait RahRah.

How I was like: Ok... Season Finale here we come!

How my brain was like... : 

Sorry for RahRah fans... I still am in love with, "The Pony I Wanna Be."

post-36491-0-25942900-1448604796_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 1

I was kinda reminded of Boast Busters when AJ gave her piece on the rehearsal. 

:wat:: Showmanship, bah humbug. I would even go to a wrestling event and yell fake until security dragged me out.

In addendum to an earlier post, I'd like to go more into depth on Svengallop, the manager.

This character's on-screen portrayal and characterization were stereotypical and grating. I know there's such a thing as characters that are intended for the audience to hate, but you at least have to make them interesting to watch. What really sucked some of the immersion out of this character was how upfront and obvious his motivations were. He has the same uptight, haughty tone of voice that pretty much every typically spoiled money-grubbing character has and is so very over-the-top in his threats that his progression feels somewhat predictable in that sense.

However, I like how the episode really makes up for it double-time in terms of his role in the episode. Rarity tries to take the other side as a fellow artist who has worked hard in pursuit of achieving aesthetic pleasure. Many of her arguments are true in this context, even if noticeably rehashed from her insistence about Chrysalis as Cadance in "A Canterlot Wedding". When Coloratura does send Svengallop packing, the loss of his talents as an asset to her success is made clear. Even when the episode doesn't do a good job of making Svengallop a believable character on his own, it does a very good job considering his side of the argument. Failing to consider the merits of the opposing side of the argument is something that helped to land "Trade Ya!" on my list of least-favorite episodes through Twilight and Pinkie's subplot, and happens in a few others.

They missed an opportunity at delivering a really good moral regarding Svengallop's attitude that I mentioned in my earlier post. While the values of hard work and holding an altruistic attitude are very high for this show, there's a really good message here about the trouble of having one but not the other. Svengallop does put in a lot of merit, however he doesn't do it for the reasons he should be doing it. Instead of collective benefit, he uses the respect and power gained from hard work to justify demanding spoils from those with lesser power than him. There could have been some mention of this, but unfortunately Svengallop is disposed of too quickly for this to become apparent.

In addition, DrWolf did posit in his review of the episode the idea that Coloratura was so used to admiration that she didn't notice that she was being used. However, though this makes sense for Coloratura, and Rarity's attempt to understand Svengallop's position on the issue made sense, Svengallop's cliche characterization makes his motivations and attitude transparent, and would paint Rarity and Coloratura as naive to continue to consider the possibility that Svengallop isn't what he portrays himself to be, especially considering that Rarity almost got used herself in a similar fashion ("Canterlot Boutique").

This shows how much flat characterization can compromise the potential of a really good character, and why MLP needs to focus on developing its antagonists more. If Svengallop had been more subtle to begin with and slowly built to become more conniving and manipulative as the episode went on, Applejack's suspicions, Rarity's understanding, and Coloratura's blind loyalty would have held more merit than they did with the episode we have.

• Brohoof 1

In addendum to an earlier post, I'd like to go more into depth on Svengallop, the manager.

This character's on-screen portrayal and characterization were stereotypical and grating. I know there's such a thing as characters that are intended for the audience to hate, but you at least have to make them interesting to watch. What really sucked some of the immersion out of this character was how upfront and obvious his motivations were. He has the same uptight, haughty tone of voice that pretty much every typically spoiled money-grubbing character has and is so very over-the-top in his threats that his progression feels somewhat predictable in that sense.

However, I like how the episode really makes up for it double-time in terms of his role in the episode. Rarity tries to take the other side as a fellow artist who has worked hard in pursuit of achieving aesthetic pleasure. Many of her arguments are true in this context, even if noticeably rehashed from her insistence about Chrysalis as Cadance in "A Canterlot Wedding". When Coloratura does send Svengallop packing, the loss of his talents as an asset to her success is made clear. Even when the episode doesn't do a good job of making Svengallop a believable character on his own, it does a very good job considering his side of the argument. Failing to consider the merits of the opposing side of the argument is something that helped to land "Trade Ya!" on my list of least-favorite episodes through Twilight and Pinkie's subplot, and happens in a few others.

They missed an opportunity at delivering a really good moral regarding Svengallop's attitude that I mentioned in my earlier post. While the values of hard work and holding an altruistic attitude are very high for this show, there's a really good message here about the trouble of having one but not the other. Svengallop does put in a lot of merit, however he doesn't do it for the reasons he should be doing it. Instead of collective benefit, he uses the respect and power gained from hard work to justify demanding spoils from those with lesser power than him. There could have been some mention of this, but unfortunately Svengallop is disposed of too quickly for this to become apparent.

In addition, DrWolf did posit in his review of the episode the idea that Coloratura was so used to admiration that she didn't notice that she was being used. However, though this makes sense for Coloratura, and Rarity's attempt to understand Svengallop's position on the issue made sense, Svengallop's cliche characterization makes his motivations and attitude transparent, and would paint Rarity and Coloratura as naive to continue to consider the possibility that Svengallop isn't what he portrays himself to be, especially considering that Rarity almost got used herself in a similar fashion ("Canterlot Boutique").

This shows how much flat characterization can compromise the potential of a really good character, and why MLP needs to focus on developing its antagonists more. If Svengallop had been more subtle to begin with and slowly built to become more conniving and manipulative as the episode went on, Applejack's suspicions, Rarity's understanding, and Coloratura's blind loyalty would have held more merit than they did with the episode we have.

A major weakness was a lack of background on Coloratura and Svengallop history. It was obvious where this episode was going to go once AJ gave her piece about Svengallop being proud of his work. Then later reveals by the end how much responsibility Svengallop handled for her. It resolves with an absolute all or nothing between Svengallop and Coloratura rather than some middle ground. Coloratura lets him go while being naive about his job and Svengallop acts like a big baby giving up on the number 1 star he worked on elevating.

Edited by Singe
  • Brohoof 3

So, the fandom (and to some extenct, the writer that wrote it) https://twitter.com/KeatingRogers/status/668105748279259136
have adopted "Equestria, the land I love" as the Equestrian national anthem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m5abHPkdjQ

Equestria, the land I love
A land of harmony
Our flag does wave from high above
For ponykind to see

Equestria, a land of friends
Where ponykind do roam
They say true friendship never ends
Equestria, my home

*DING*

Never forget the DING at the end. The DING is very important... for some reason.

Edited by Persona22
  • Brohoof 3

While I was watching this I could already imagine how much Applejack and Coloratura was going to get shipped.

But knowing shipping it will be done by some random two ponies that never met so it's probably going to be one of those back dancer background male pony with Braeburn or something. I mean they have the same kind of jacket in common.

• Brohoof 1

So, the fandom (and to some extenct, the writer that wrote it) https://twitter.com/KeatingRogers/status/668105748279259136

have adopted "Equestria, the land I love" as the Equestrian national anthem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m5abHPkdjQ

Equestria, the land I love

A land of harmony

Our flag does wave from high above

For ponykind to see

Equestria, a land of friends

Where ponykind do roam

They say true friendship never ends

Equestria, my home

*DING*

Never forget the DING at the end. The DING is very important... for some reason.

Oh my gosh, I love those songs!

My favorite song of the episode was definitely The Spectacle. :ooh:

I still prefer The Pony I Want To Be and The Light of Your Cutie Mark, those songs were awesome! Yay for Diamond Tiara's redemption! :icwudt:

Edited by iNachos10

This was a pretty good episode. Svengallop made Countess Coloratura popular but he's selfish and doesn't care about charity, only personal gain. Coloratura can rebuild her career without him. AJ saw how he treated her and Pinkie and she exposed him for the egomaniac he is.

My review on: S05E24 'The Mane Attraction'

First of all, this episode was AMAZING! Especially that auto-tune pony song part. (Razzle Dazzle) They also introduced Countess Coloratura, also known as Rara, as a really great singer! And this was also Amy Keating Roger's last episode. :( But she made a really great lift off! I wish you all the best of luck, Amy! /) My favourite song from this episode, was a tie between 'Equestria, my home' and 'I am just a pony', both which Rara had sung. It's so emotional! It's the second episode that made me cry. Sorta. (1st is 'Tanks for the memories' when Rainbow Dash was crying, although when Pinkie Pie said "APPLE JACK CRIES ON THE INSIDE, TWILIGHT!" it made me chuckle a bit. Oh Pinkie, good times.) And I love Amy's oc pegasus pony! It's so pretty! My oc's a Pegasus too, you can check out my profile. Good luck, Amy! /) <3

~Aerial Star

P.S, The Mane Attraction was probably her best episode yet in my opinion. I hope everyone else likes it as much as I do, but opinions are things we should respect.

AmyKeatingRogers.png                

Here's another brohoof for all you bronies and pegasisters out there! /)

Edited by Aerial Star

• 3 weeks later...