S05:E24 - The Mane Attraction  

227 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• I hated it!
    • Nope. Didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was OK
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT .... HOOFSIES <3

I decided to watch the episode. It had good songs, and it was a good episode overall. But if Countess Co- RaRa, was the biggest celebrity in Equestria, and she used to be Applejack's friend, why haven't we heard of her before?

I barely talk with my friends over some of the friends that i have lost sight of in the past. Things like that happen and are not unrealistic.

• Brohoof 3

I barely talk with my friends over some of the friends that i have lost sight of in the past. Things like that happen and are not unrealistic.

Same. Some of my best friends growing up I NEVER see anymore, and I barely ever talk about them unless I'm passing their house, or something.

• Brohoof 2

And the guy was total dickbag. If I found out the manager was like that, I would have dumped him too. She's now the biggest pop singer in Equestria, and SHE decides what events she goes to and doesn't go to. The manager BOOKS it. That's his job. He overreached his power, abused the relationship he had with his client, and paid the price for it. Same relationship with Sassy Saddles and Rarity. Sassy Saddles is store manager, Rarity is store OWNER. Owner > manager. Sassy overstepped her boundaries, and Rarity put her back in her place. Rara is content OWNER Scengallop is a manager. He manages. He doesn't make the executive decisions, no matter how much he may want to.

while that may be so, he worked hard to make her the pop idol she is, whether she wanted to be that pony or not. Lkke Svengallop said, it was HIM who gave her the name everyone associated her with (when she went onstage calling herself RaRa, her audience was confused, because they didn't pay to see anyone other than the corporate owned pop star), he gave her her look, and style of pop music that boosted her to the top. Svengallop owned what HE gave her. Countess has no right to any of that image or name, now that she kcked him to the curb. All she owns is her originality and talent. She can't keep the name, image, and hard work of someone else that made her as stupidly successful as Svengallop got her to be. It was a joint collaboration, and in the end, Countess can't just take all the credit and run.

More AJ!!! I'm so glad to see best pony again! :icwudt: I really loved this episode, the only thing which I would have liked to see was a duet with AJ and Rara at the end. Having said that, bringing her on stage and singing with the CMC was an adorable way to end the episode. I loved the Friendship Camp flashback with little AJ and her guitar!!! <3 I loved that Rara remembered about Apple Bloom and AJ, it was lovely to see the friends being reunited. This season continues to impress me, it's such a shame it will be ending soon. 

while that may be so, he worked hard to make her the pop idol she is, whether she wanted to be that pony or not. Lkke Svengallop said, it was HIM who gave her the name everyone associated her with (when she went onstage calling herself RaRa, her audience was confused, because they didn't pay to see anyone other than the corporate owned pop star), he gave her her look, and style of pop music that boosted her to the top. Svengallop owned what HE gave her. Countess has no right to any of that image or name, now that she kcked him to the curb. All she owns is her originality and talent. She can't keep the name, image, and hard work of someone else that made her as stupidly successful as Svengallop got her to be. It was a joint collaboration, and in the end, Countess can't just take all the credit and run.

And I'd doubt she'd want to use it anymore, anyway. 

Having lived in Hollywood and having known a lot of entertainers, writers, etc., I have to say that I did not find Sven all that over-the-top.  And Coloratura's dependency/ attachment to him was not outside of the real, either.  As for the warped ethics and insufferably superior attitude of Sven.  It's bang on.  Show business managers/agents are commonly some of the most hidebound and obnoxious people on the planet.  They're always prattling on about how, "This is the way it's done!" and "If you don't do it exactly the right way, you'll never work again, and you'll die in dismal obscurity.!"  Never mind that there are hundreds of stories about how people stepped outside the mold and succeeded because they did it their way.  But these dictatorial manager/agent types really believe that they are the second coming, and their clients would die a hideous and lingering death, if they didn't bully them every waking moment.   They often build such a feeling of dependency and gratitude into their clients that the clients believe that their success has nothing to to with them and their ability, and everything to do with the agent.

I've met "Sven Gallop." (Or people just like him)  And he really is an a**hole! 

• Brohoof 4

I really loved this episode. I really liked Pinkie in this episode, the way she acted in certain scenes was hilarious and pretty cool. I also felt sorry for her when she had to follow certain orders from Sven Gallop. It was really nice getting some backstory on Applejack and Coloratura at the Pony summer camp. Coloratura was a pretty interesting and an awesome character in my opinion. I liked how she was able to stand up to Sven Gallop after finding out how he truly felt about her career. I really liked the songs in this episode, they were really catchy and addicting to listen to, in my opinion. Just like Rarity becoming a character I've come to enjoy this season, I've really come to respect and enjoy Applejack in this season as well. All in all I found this episode to be really enjoyable and awesome, and I can't wait for what's to come in the season finale of season 5. 

Edited by Dynamo Pad

I will have to start with some critics of overall season - How many AJ or Apple family episodes did we see this season? They were many, after the last time we saw AJ, Applebloom or Big Mac episodes, I thought they would be done. I am lesser fan of AJ but I still like AJ a lot, and yet the episodes were an overdose. Like some mentioned, barely saw Fluttershy and havent seen RD episode for quite a while. Anyway, this was the last single part episode, so let's see what the 2-Parter will prepare.

Also it seems that most like some musical episodes, as nothing big happened other than some relationships and the episode's votes revealed much higher results than episodes that imo were having more interesting or funny things, like even the previous episode about mccolts and hooffields, this episode isnt my type but I still liked it, just not loved it. It was a heartwarming episode.

And to get into the details of the episode, yes Lady Gaga is the only one that came to my mind when Rara started singing (no not because of her name, only cause of the song), before listening to her song, I was expecting some rock song cause that's what she looked like as as singer but it was more like Gaga. Also I expected rara to feel AJ like a total stranger and in the end to apologize but the plot went into diff direction with that manager, I dont find any trouble in that but it wasnt predictable to me, which is good.

And the episode I watched was cut or it ended indeed suddenly after the CMCs sang with her.

Edited by ImtR

Oh, and the Countess' costumes and mane were great!

I know, right? I wanted to see her perform in the one Rarity had her in...  :ooh:

I think we will see her in future episodes, consiering that it will not be as easy for her now.

I hope so! Not sure though...Shores got into more than one episode so maybe.  :fluttershy:

I will have to start with some critics of overall season - How many AJ or Apple family episodes did we see this season? They were many, after the last time we saw AJ, Applebloom or Big Mac episodes, I thought they would be done. I am lesser fan of AJ but I still like AJ a lot, and yet the episodes were an overdose. Like some mentioned, barely saw Fluttershy and havent seen RD episode for quite a while. Anyway, this was the last single part episode, so let's see what the 2-Parter will prepare.

Also it seems that most like some musical episodes, as nothing big happened other than some relationships and the episode's votes revealed much higher results than episodes that imo were having more interesting or funny things, like even the previous episode about mccolts and hooffields, this episode isnt my type but I still liked it, just not loved it. It was a heartwarming episode.

And to get into the details of the episode, yes Lady Gaga is the only one that came to my mind when Rara started singing (no not because of her name, only cause of the song), before listening to her song, I was expecting some rock song cause that's what she looked like as as singer but it was more like Gaga. Also I expected rara to feel AJ like a total stranger and in the end to apologize but the plot went into diff direction with that manager, I dont find any trouble in that but it wasnt predictable to me, which is good.

And the episode I watched was cut or it ended indeed suddenly after the CMCs sang with her.

I was expecting rock songs, too

And while I'm not a fan of AJ, it's nice to see her interacting with others outside the 6 clique, or family members

BEST EPISODE EVER !

I'm so hoping they'll do a Funko figure of RaRa

(was it a reference to Lady Gaga or something? I mean those looks though, the vessel entrance and stuff...)

yes, she's Lady RaRa, as everyone has already made comparison to

Oh, and if they make a figure of her before unicorn SUNSET shimmer, so help me, I will unleash Tirek on Hasbro Headquarters!

Edited by Nightmare Muffin
  • Brohoof 1

Hot damn! That was a good one!

Usually when I comment on an episode, it's to say I'm mildly disappointed, and while I felt that the episode moved a little fast, I didn't see that as a bad thing, but a good one.

Typically with episodes like this, where a person is convinced their friend is jealous of them because of something, they tend not to forgive each other and just mope around for a solid 5 minutes before the antagonist pony messes up and the friend of the protagonist sees the truth... But nope, they moved right along with the plot, and even while "Rara" was convinced AJ was jelous, she didn't hold that against her and still spoke to her as a friend, allowing her to prove herself rather than pushing her away and ignoring her pleas.

This episode was great! The songs were relatively short, but not so much to where it doesn't feel like a real song was given out of them, and they pulled the feels train into central station quite effectively to boot!

All in all, I feel this has the makings of a classic MLP episode....

Too bad the good times aren't going to last, though, because next week is the season finale... and that means shit is going to hit the fan in Equestria once more! Can't wait to see it! :3

• Brohoof 2

I really loved the singing in this episode, it was phenomenal. It was really sweet, however, I wish that we could have a had a little bit more of a backstory regarding Countess Coloratura and Applejack. This episode went a little too fast for me, but then again, that was partly due to the fact that it was excellent. I loved Countess Coloratura's design, and the cutie mark crusaders singing a sort of national anthem with Coloratura on stage was really cute. :) 

Yes, but she's still the biggest celeb

I don't care much about current celebrities either, just like applejack. I don't read any VIP news, or care what these celebs do.

AJ seems to be a down to earth pony, who dosen't seem to care alot about current celebs or trends, which is kinda like me. So the fact that she dosen't know Equestrias "biggest celeb" isn't too far off from the truth.

• Brohoof 5

By far, one of the greatest episodes in the season. :D

I despised that manager so much that I even swore at him multiple times because of how spoiled he was and the way he was acting. As I would never want to deal with people in reality who act like or similar to him (especially when it comes to business matters).  :okiedokielokie:

And with that, I'm glad to see that Rara made the right decision to ditch her pathetic and uncaring manager.  :yay: 

Also, her solo song (before the Equestrian National Anthem) close to the end of the episode almost brought me to tears. Lena Hall's singing was that good. :(

Edited by Jonny Music
  • Brohoof 3

THOSE SONGS! Oh my god that episode was amazing, liquid pride was most definitely shed. Lena Hall did so well here and her singing was stunning. And the CMC on stage at the end brought the feels train right home. 10/10 all the way.

sig-4224365.sig-4224365.CUWb-V_WIAIs5q_.

Also Fernando is best pony

sig-4224365.sig-4224365.CUWYIU0WEAA972p.

I agree with you, her voice is absolutely amazing. Apart from "Crusaders Of The Lost Mark", this was the best episode of season 5.

Edited by Josiah_E
  • Brohoof 2

sig-4225599.slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif

This episode was yet another crowning jewel for this season. The relationship between AJ and "Rara" is adorable, and even though Pinkie spent most of the episode flipping out at trying to adhere to all Svengallop's demands (more on him in a minute) and the comedy was more an afterthought for this episode, she was still a joy to watch.

From what I've read, that first performance (The Spectacle) was meant to be a parody of mainstream hip-hop, with strobe lighting, auto-tune and the like. It also bares a striking resemblance to many fandom remixes.

... Soooo... what does it say about me that I loved it anyway?  :please:

But beyond a shadow of a doubt, the "Mane Attraction" for this episode is Rara's ultimate performance of "The Magic Inside." I've lost count of how many times I've watched that animatic, but seeing the final song in the actual episode... *sniff* Excuse me, I need a tissue...

If I really have to search for a negative in all this (because I'm me!) I was going to say that Svengallop was unbelievable 1-dimensional in how much of a despicable jerk he is, if not for the fact that that was the whole point. The guys the purest example of a Hate Sink (a characters whose sole purpose is to be despised) from every known angle.   

Edited by PoisonClaw
  • Brohoof 1

Would be interesting to know how Colorature is faring being her true self now. A choice like that is not without its consequences after all. Such questions can be answered if she and AJ start trading letters again for example. That way we could know how she's adjusted her life from this point on. I'm sure she'll be doing more of the things she loves even if it means living a more modest life.

• Brohoof 1