Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have you experienced any bullying for being a brony?

Ed Lyons

Have you been bullied or have had people be mean to you for being a brony? I would like to hear. As it affected your views on the show? Did you stop watching it for a while? Share your story.

when i first became a brony, i got  a little bit of it from this one guy in 8th grade, but now in high school, people don't bully me because of that. I even have a friend who is a junior, that is a pegasister.

I have never been bullied for being a brony.

Fortunately, all of my friends are pretty mature and don't make fun of others for their interests.

As of yet I've had very little trouble with admitting to being a massive Brony. Ok I've had a few  a strange looks from people at times when I tell them, and was more scared about coming out as a Brony on-line than in the real world. The internet can be such a cruel place when people don't have to stand in front of you face to face and tell you what they think.

I'm an older Brony, and it wouldn't surprise me to find out that I may be the oldest one here, which does mean I expected allot more hassle then I ever got, but I don't think age is a major factor if you truly have a passion about something. And I really do have a  passion about MLP FIM.

The reactions I get from people when I first tell them is usually one of surprise, which is closely followed by nervous laughter, and then one of keen interest. I would say that I have introduced quit a few people to the world of MLP FIM and what it has to offer.

In my experience, those who choose to hassle others about their interests and passions, normally have something to hide. More than once have I found people looking at MLP plushys in shops after berating me for being a Brony.

In person, not at all, since most people who know me well know that I'm a sucker for cute things and assumed I liked MLP by association.

Online, however, my word, Appeal to Ignorance has never been more prevalent. It was bad enough to where I almost quit being a fan, but then I learned to ignore the trolls. They're a waste of time and my ultimate goal is not to impress someone who may end up being a bigger loser than me.  :lol:

nope, however there's only 2 friends outside the forums that know i am one so i haven't really had the experience of know what my friends would think. if someone verbally bullied me, i would not give a care in the world, but if they tried to push me around im not afraid to block and defend.

if my parents found out... oh my. raised in a very conservative farm family in Iowa, you can just imagine what my dad would think...

This is for all the bronies that have been teased for being bronies, you tell the person who is bulling you " it brings me happiness so shut the f### up " or some variation of that. If they continue to tease you then they are just complete doosh bags and if someone hears you say the comeback, then everyone will focus on the bully because the bully is knowingly teasing you for being happy. As long as your proud of what you are the cant tease you without looking bad when viewed by the masses.

• Brohoof 2

as a brony no

but as a school student who was 6 foot tall and did not play sports, smoked or got drunk yes i was for about 8 years

i get frendly ribbing from my friends but hay its just fun between us

I keep it to myself, and for good reason.

There's something about ponies that make some people lose all sense of rationality.

Hmm... Sounds like somthing that I'm having a blast with, I've started talking to a little figure of rainbow dash i have without realizing it, luckily she doesn't talk back to me yet, but I swear that she's watching me or something, but I'm naturaly superstitious so I guess I'm just being Paranoid!

I get teased about it by some irl friends, but I don't really remember if I've ever been bullied or not.  If I was bullied I wouldn't really care, because that won't stop me from liking the show.

I get teased about it by some irl friends, but I don't really remember if I've ever been bullied or not. If I was bullied I wouldn't really care, because that won't stop me from liking the show.

Amen, that is exactly what I'm trying to say, be proud of it, because your part of a much bigger picture, if your proud of it, then the herd is stronger, if you accept it, then the herd gets stronger, if you deter all who tell you that you should be ashamed then you have something to be proud of, which makes the herd stronger!!

• Brohoof 1

Well, I can't comment on anything on YouTube without hearing "Bronyfag" or "Horsefucker" but that really doesn't bother me. I just ignore it and everything turns out fine. 

Edited by Best Poni

Most of my friends know that I watch MLP, and only one of them seems truly against it. She tried to show me up for it in school once because she found my Pinkie Pie plush when she was visiting my house the week before. Luckily, nobody else seemed to mind (in fact, a good deal of my other friends said they kind of liked MLP too). So, although that's not something a true (true) friend should do... she didn't exactly mean it in a particularly malicious way. That's the only instance in which I was indeed bothered because I'm a pegasister/brony, so I'd say that I certainly haven't been bullied over it. Though I have no doubts that, if more people knew, I would be picked on big time. I don't understand why anyone deems it acceptable to have a problem with someone else's interests though! :twi:

I have never been or seen bullies period in my schools. Everyone just seems to accept your interests and will sometimes ask about them but never will they pick on me. Being the smart, quiet kid in class means I've had friendly people on my side regardless.

Most of my friends know that I watch MLP, and only one of them seems truly against it. She tried to show me up for it in school once because she found my Pinkie Pie plush when she was visiting my house the week before. Luckily, nobody else seemed to mind (in fact, a good deal of my other friends said they kind of liked MLP too). So, although that's not something a true (true) friend should do... she didn't exactly mean it in a particularly malicious way. That's the only instance in which I was indeed bothered because I'm a pegasister/brony, so I'd say that I certainly haven't been bullied over it. Though I have no doubts that, if more people knew, I would be picked on big time. I don't understand why anyone deems it acceptable to have a problem with someone else's interests though! :twi:

I'm not sure that person is your friend if she is truly against what you like. More imoportantly, a good friend wouldn't ever try to show you up in-front of other people just because you like something either unusual or something you don't demographically fit into. Edited by Rainbow Dash Boy
  • Brohoof 1

Never been really bullied about. A lot of people find it strange but they are also interested in why I like it. I even made one of friends half-brony (as in she likes the show but she isn't extremely into it). Then again, I go to a school with filled with strange people. It's a very accepting environment.

I'm actually very open about being a Brony. The only times I've been questioned was when someone at school asked me why I consider myself a Brony when I'm a girl... I just explained I don't like the separate terms for each gender and she was cool with it.

However, I do get uncomfortable at a certain friend's house when her sister is around. Her sister often makes fun of my friend for watching the show, and even though she hasn't targeted me about it, I'd rather not talk about ponies with her around.

My family is actually pretty fine with me watching the show. My mom has even watched a few episodes with me and seemed okay with it. The only part with my family that bothers me is when they sing the theme song in a mocking kind of way whenever I watch the show. Other than that, they don't really bother me about it.

Wasn't really bullied, but rather peacefully teased by my buddy who I know for almost 7 years now. He saw a Lyra picture on my phone theme and asked me "Dude, don't tell me you watch my little pony.". I replied with yes without thinking and he just started smiling and slapping me on the shoulder and shouting "NO WAY! HAHA". But no, he didn't bully, we are very good buds. And we had a beer 2 minutes later.  ^_^

I had been called a baby and a kindergartner a couple times in high school but I ignore it because annoying high schoolers talk out their ass.

A couple years ago my EX-best friend got mad at me because I was "embarrassing her" for dressing up as Fluttershy to school on Halloween.

AND I've gotten some mean comments and replies online but they just move on because I barely even read them before ignoring them..

My brony experience has been pretty much entirely positive let alone those few incidents.

Edited by RainbowPastel

• 1 month later...

Nope. Just some teenagers squealing "DERPY!! <3" from a distance when they saw her on my bag.

And this guy behind the counter at the sandwich shop asking me how I liked the Season 5 Premiere when I walked in with my Mane 6 Shirt on.

Entirely positive.

need

to

live

there! Its not worse than a few glares from time but this place seems to embrace it!