Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

fandom q+a Silly Filly Studios Q&A

Simon

TGmvQaF.pngComic by SFyr

Welcome and thank you for joining us for Poniverse's November Fandom Q&A!

I am extremely proud to welcome this month's Q&A guest, Silly Filly Studios, the creative minds behind some of the fandom's best animations like Snowdrop, Fall of the Crystal Empire, and, of course, Donut Steel. They've also recently announced the launch of their new original animation project, Starsign. If you haven't checked out their animations, I highly recommend them!  I want to start off this Q&A by thanking SFS Animation for generously agreeing to spend some of their night with us!

As always with our fandom Q&A's, the thread will be open for questions from 5 pm PST to 8 pm PST.  During that time, some of the staff of Silly Filly Studios will be answering all the questions you guys throw at them!

As an extra special bonus, we'll also be giving everybody a chance to win their very own plush of Snowdrop by Lunar Shy! Entering is super easy.  All you have to do to enter is make a donation to Poniverse's annual charity drive, Making Christmas Merrier, before the end of the Q&A!  Making Christmas Merrier aims to provide toys during the holiday season for the children at the BC Children's Hospital.  You can read more about this event and the cause behind it here.  If you're not able or do not wish to donate, you can also earn an entry by simply asking a question during the Q&A tonight!  The winner of the plush will be contacted by private message here on MLP Forums within the next 24 hours for shipping information. The plush is a pre-order item so it is expected to ship sometime at the beginning of 2016.

This thread will only be open for 3 hours, from 5-8 pm PST so be sure to get your questions in for Silly Filly Studios to answer!  (Questions asked shortly before 8 pm may or may not be answered depending on whether our guests have time to stay).

Without further ado, have fun, chat and ask all those questions you've ever had for Silly Filly Studios!

First question time!

Since there's a few of you, I guess I'll go with a practical question to start things off:

How did each of you get involved in Silly Filly Studios and what do you do?

• Brohoof 8

Evening Silly Filly Studios team members, and thank you all very much for setting aside some time to join us this evening! :muffins:  Seeing as I'm a fanfiction writer, I figure I'll go with a writing question for you all; for some of your bigger projects like "Snowdrop" and "Fall of the Crystal Empire," how have you gone about identifying what subjects and themes you'd like to hit upon and cover?  Has it always been a goal of yours from the start to, despite the fact that your works are obviously fanon material, write and contribute stories that could theoretically fit into the canon of the MLP universe?  :catface:

Ho, jeez where to start... I got involved through back when the team was still working on project Saturation. I was brought on as a voice actor to play the role of the grizzled guard captain, whose only real descriptor was, and I quote, "Walter Beck". I auditioned in some big shenanigan where a whole bunch of people sent in auditions and posted them to Youtube, and mine was selected. Eventually we moved on to form SFS and I was grandfathered in.

Since then I've expanded my role in SFS. On top of voice over work I also do:

-Script Editing

-Script writing

-Audio editing (sometimes)

-Storyboarding

and a few other things.

I play a role in our upcoming short, and I'm super stoked to stut my stuff.

I'm also the person responsible for the abomination known as Donut Steel. I wrote both scripts and played the titular character. Go me.

Edited by Charlemane
  • Brohoof 5

Hey there SFS :P

First of all, I really like your stuff. I'm always amazed at what quality creations come out of this fandom! :D

Now, I wanted to ask you, as a future animator (I hope x) ), how did you find the motivation to carry on animating when you first started out? I can only guess how tedious it must be if something didn't go correctly.

Secondly, do you see yourselves choosing animation as a full time career in the future?

• Brohoof 2

First question time!

Since there's a few of you, I guess I'll go with a practical question to start things off:

A long while back right before season 2, there was basically this ridiculously stupid idea by one of my friends to make some kind of fan film for MLP. It was dubbed 'Project Saturation.'

I figured it'd be worth a shot to try so I agreed to help out. There were 3 of us originally, and we recruited a bunch of people as VAs, artists, etc. My mentality was I wanted to see how far we could get, and if it failed, we'd still be a group and could make other things.

Well, lo and behold the project did blow up, but it was from someone pretending to be someone they weren't to try and get in someone else's pants. They 'died' and their 'brother' informed us of this. The person they were getting in the pants with happened to be the director of the project, and he pretended to commit suicide to 'expose' this person.

tl;dr that was a giant drama bomb so we all splintered off and formed a new group, then called Silly Filly Studios, now called SFS Animation, and basically continued with the plan to keep making stuff together as a group.

Hey there SFS. :)

What was your inspiration to get into animation?

Egoraptor and Chris O'Neil (shocker, I know)

How did you get into MLP:FiM :)

I can't even really remember at this point. I started watching sometime before season 2 and stopped watching after season 3.

• Brohoof 3

Hey guys! So a few of us will be answering the questions tonight - we'll do our best to answer each one XP

Killjoy - I got involved with SFS way before we were even titled Silly Filly. I was brought in as an understudy for Fluttershy to be used in the original project the group was creating.That project fell through, and I stayed on the team to help make smaller animations. I do a few different things for the group - I voice act (Fluttershy, Snowdrop, a few Pokemon in Pokemon Shaming, and a voice in the new Starsign project), write (Snowdrop, as well as helping in bigger writers circles such as Pokemon Shaming and Starsign) and do some creative direction, primarily on Starsign.

Matron - The idea for Snowdrop came from when I was studying abroad in Australia. The honest truth is I missed snow, and we were looking for some new things to animate at the time. I had watched the Sonic Rainboom episode with my boyfriend's little brother earlier that day, and I remembered the snowflake making factory...thought we could do something with that. I wrote the first draft in an hour or two, and about five drafts later we had the solid script finally settled out.

• Brohoof 2

What type of Anime shows (if any) do you guys enjoy?

YES THIS IS RIGHT UP MY ALLEY

Madoka Magica, Kill la Kill, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Nichijou, Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt, Gurren Lagann, and my personal guilty pleasure: Monster Musume (I am trash and proud of it). Also currently watching One Punch Man.

• Brohoof 4

I'm Jen, voice actor/voice director for SFS. I auditioned and was brought onto the team over 3 years ago specifically for my impression of Princess Celestia. I have since voiced other characters, such as Cumulo Nimbus in Snowdrop, Merry Sew and Hasbreau Agent in Donut Steel, and Magikarp in Pokemon Shaming. I tend to do the deeper-voiced female characters haha!

Ummm, it was at the end of my senior year or high school (I just graduated University this past summer, so that should tell you how long ago that was lol!) There was some drama going on and I basically lost all my best friends. I was all alone and looking for something happy to keep me preoccupied, I already knew about MLP/bronies, so I decided to check the show out, out of curiosity. And I got into it pretty quickly.

I'm not much of an anime watcher lol, but I have a few shows I enjoy! I like Madoka Magica, Kill la Kill, and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. I think there's more but I can't recall them right now!

• Brohoof 4

I got involved due to the number 1 thing in any freelance position; dumb luck.  I went to their panel at Bronycon 2014 and afterwards where they were signing things I went up to them and basically just said "Hi, I just got my bachelors in animation and I"m trying to network with people in the industry, here's my card".  They ended up contacting me the next day because they went to my site and liked one particular thing in my demo reel.  Remember, as a freelance artist, your business card is your most important tool.

Hey there SFS. :)

What was your inspiration to get into animation?

I had no idea what I wanted to do out of high school.  I went to a community college and got my Associates Degree, at which point I said "Hey, I like cartoons, I like drawing, let's do something with that."

I got into the show around season 2.  This as when a lot of people on art sites were using pony avatars and I decided to see what all the fuss was about.

• Brohoof 5

Hey, Silly Filly Studios.

First, I wanna say I'm a big fan of your work.

My question is how long does it take to complete one of your animated films?

It can vary. Snowdrop took like 6 months once we started animating, longer if you count writing and revisions. Fall of the Crystal Empire took about that as well.

Meanwhile Starsign has had light amounts of work off and on for the past year and a half now.

I recently saw the footage you guys showed for the upcoming StarSign series and since I'm a Sagittarius, out of curiosity, is there going to be a Sagittarius character in the series and if so what kind of design would they have?

Yes, but we want to avoid spoiling anything about character designs too early on. : D

• Brohoof 3

I got into MLP during season 2 through osmosis. While screwing around on Facebook I noticed a few close friends of mine were constantly posting memes of the different characters doing things that I thought were funny. Eventually, I got interested enough in the series that I decided to give it a go. Here I am, a few years later.

I like the more realistic styled Anime shows. Classics like Cowboy Bebop (of course), GiTS, anything that has a good coherent story. Currently I'm addicted to One Punch Man.

What is your favorite ponies?

It's a toss up between pegasi and unicorns. Leaning toward pegasi. Or did you mean specific characters?

• Brohoof 3

Hey, Silly Filly Studios.

First, I wanna say I'm a big fan of your work.

My question is how long does it take to complete one of your animated films?

It depends on the project size and quality. For shorts like the Lumiose street it can range anywhere from a few weeks to a month. For things like Starsign, years.

• Brohoof 2

Hey there SFS :P

First of all, I really like your stuff. I'm always amazed at what quality creations come out of this fandom! :D

Now, I wanted to ask you, as a future animator (I hope x) ), how did you find the motivation to carry on animating when you first started out? I can only guess how tedious it must be if something didn't go correctly.

Secondly, do you see yourselves choosing animation as a full time career in the future?

Honestly, having an idea and resolving to finish it is the best thing you can do. And I don't mean like grandiose films or cartoons, just short little gags.

Wanna animate a character flipping a table with spaghetti while screaming obscenities in German? Go for it, that's a great starting spot.

Wanna animate a full length film as your first project? I would proooobably advise against that.

Set your sights on things you can finish first. My first animation I published (that took off) was one of Rarity driving a tank barreling down a mountainside (as a fad response to something Tiarawhy had made with Pinkie in a Trans Am).

As for animation as a full time career, it already is for me. I make my living through work with SFS and personal work.

• Brohoof 3

I was asking about specific charterers, but I relies I did not ask that clearly.

It's a toss up between RD and Sunset Shimmer for me. Sunset kinda grew on me after spending too much time on FimFic.

• Brohoof 1