Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

fandom q+a Silly Filly Studios Q&A

Simon

Batbrony - This is a difficult question to tackle, because each project that we've worked on has been so drastically different from the other. For projects we created like Snowdrop and Fall of the Crystal Empire, it was important for us to at least think of a way we could string it into the existing Equestrian mythos (I worked a lot more on Snowdrop than Fall, so I know I concentrated a good deal on making a story that could fit easily into the mythology when it came to that one, but I know that Zed, who did the Fall of the Crystal Empire script, wanted to try to expand on the original content since there wasn't much Sombra mythos to go on in the first place - he had based a lot of that animation on a Tumblr comic he had been working on at the time.) For projects like Donut Steel, and our parodies like Fresh Prince and the Kerninja and Cookiezard scripts, those are more just trying to have as much fun as possible without worrying too much about breaking some sort of existing character mythology...granted, they are parodies so we get away with that, haha.

Flitterflutter - I like Fluttershy, Lightning Bolt, Derpy, and Chrysalis.

Very cool, thanks for answering.  Concerning your more serious projects, I take a similar approach with my sole fanfic as well; even though it's a crossover (well, more an adaptation than a crossover since there aren't any actual characters from a different universe in it, just similar themes, concepts, and ideas), I've always felt that trying to integrate it into the MLP universe as best I can, despite it too being fanon material in every sense of the word, helps me produce the best serious story I can.  Obviously the approach, as you pointed out, can change when we're talking about parody projects, but serious stories in MLP fanon, yeah, I think no matter what genre you're working in you should try to some certain extent to make it fit into the universe as best you can, even if the premise of your story is fairly outlandish (which obviously "Snowdrop" nor "Fall of the Crystal Empire" were that outlandish for this mythos).

P.S. Kudos for having best pony in your list of best ponies.  This Derp Knight is pleased.  :derp:

From a VA's perspective, sometimes you get tired of the script or the character. Either your voice gives out or you're experiencing fatigue from the project. I find it's important to keep the end goal in mind, remember what made you excited about the project, and what about the character that interests you. Sometimes it's just a matter of discipline, you gotta do the work no matter what, in the end.

I sometimes experience similar fatigue given that I've been writing the same fanfic for over two years now, so I get that.  It's certainly not easy sticking with one concept or story and a limited set of characters in the long term when you might have so many ideas flying around your head.  But I agree, definitely a matter of discipline and forcing yourself to bring these concepts and characters to life.

This is a question that any of you can feel free to answer.  What sort of fan artwork in the MLP community do all of you enjoy in particular?  Any artists in particular, or genres of art, be it music, animation, visual art pieces, or fanfiction?  :)

For someone who wants to get into animation or VA work, what sort of computer programs, equipment, advice, anything would you guys recommend?

For animation, pencil and paper is all you need to get started.  If you really want to get into it then Photoshop and Flash are the norms.  I'd recommend Paint Tool Sai; a lot of artists are using it more now and I use it for my sketches and inks.  If you want to get a tablet than start with the regular Wacom ones, either Bamboo or Inuous.  You don't need the super fancy stuff until you REALLY get into it.

Whay advice would you give to others who have ideas but need to find motivation to create and build them up ? Great work by the way

Watch others, A LOT!  Go watch artists stream, study their movements, look at galleries, watch animation.  My art style is made up of different techniques I've seen others use.  It's a good way to find your own style as well.

For someone who wants to get into animation or VA work, what sort of computer programs, equipment, advice, anything would you guys recommend.

Flash or ToonBoom for animation. They're expensive, but in order to break in, you have spend the money. For voice over, Audacity is a good starting point. It's free, and high quality. If you look around there are a few plugins that work well with it and expand its capabilities. For equipment, the Blue Yeti is a good starting point for hobbyists, and that will run you about a hundred bucks. Keep in mind though, that while the Yeti is good, any XLR mic is better. XLR mics require additional peripherals to be used however, (an audio interface for one). If you really want an in depth explanation, look up how to be an Online Voice Actor on youtube. You'll find plenty of tutorials and suggestions there.

Who is your favorite princess  :comeatus:

And how hard is it to keep replying? 

That sounds like a loaded question. I'm going with Big Mac.

I admit I'm having trouble keeping up.

Mulan, I guess. :Y

Whay advice would you give to others who have ideas but need to find motivation to create and build them up ? Great work by the way

The two options seem to be either tuck your head down and just do it, or reassess your scope. Scaling a project back, or switching to do a smaller one that's more feasible and less overwhelming is probably the best choice.

For someone who wants to get into animation or VA work, what sort of computer programs, equipment, advice, anything would you guys recommend?

For VA work, the ideal is gonna be an XLR condenser mic. You'll need an audio converter to translate the signal to something your PC can read, but XLR mics work awesome. A step below that is one of the higher end USB mics, which can still be good if you treat them well.

You'll also want to make sure your space is treated to dampen any reverb and noise. Bags of laundry can help a lot with that, just pack em along the walls of your room.

Hello there SFS, what is the most challenging project you had to work on and why?

For me, Fall of the Crystal Empire. There were honestly some complications with it, partially dealing with timing and effects.

One animator was really good with visual effects in flash, but the way they were structured was outside of what I had specified, so they were inseparable from the rest of the layers. Removing the effects would mean reanimating everything. As a result, that's why the trailer has some shading, while the full animation doesn't.

There was a lot I wanted to do with it but it started to get less and less feasible. It didn't help that I was getting disenchanted with MLP at the time, and we were having headaches with Youtube's overzealous content ID system.

This is a question that any of you can feel free to answer.  What sort of fan artwork in the MLP community do all of you enjoy in particular?  Any artists in particular, or genres of art, be it music, animation, visual art pieces, or fanfiction?  :)

There's another loaded question. I can't name specific artists that I like from the fandom other than ones everyone already knows. I know there's a great animator named FluttershyTheKind on DeviantArt that could use a lot more love. Tsitira360, a few others.

As for fiction, I admit I spend a bit more time than is healthy on fimfic. I have an account there and I maintain a bit of a library of the ones I like. My name on there is the same as it is here. For the uninitiated, if you're looking for a fun little fic, I recommend checking out anything by Georg.

• Brohoof 1

Hello there SFS, what is the most challenging project you had to work on and why?

The most challenging project for me personally so far? It's got to be StarSign. There is a TON of stuff that goes into working with original content that you don't have to worry about with fan parodies.

But the most fun project for me so far? StarSign. By *far*. 

So for voice acting, start out small and work up to the expensive equipment. There are people out there who think that you can't get professional jobs with a USB mic. That's not true. I use a Blue Yeti and while I would love to have an XLR microphone, it's working out fine because I record in a treated space. The space you record in is just as important as the microphone. So start with a less expensive but still quality mic - I recommend the CO1U or the Yeti - with a stand, a pop filter, and a treated space where you won't be dealing with echos, like a closet full of clothes. Treat the space with soundproof foam, especially in the upper corners where the sound bounces the most. From there you can record with Audacity (free program) and start out auditioning for fandubs on Youtube or voice acting alliance, just to test out your range. You'll progress naturally from there through auditions and gaining contacts, but don't be discouraged if you don't get parts straight away. A lot of the time, we don't get the part either. It's a tough business.

Motivation comes from support and getting to the fun part in your work. Find a support group in your friends to help you with half of it, and the other half just comes from sitting down and pushing through. Learning to push through that first sucky draft of anything is the hardest and best lesson you'll learn working with creative projects. 

Belle, though Tiana's dress is best, and Anna is the most like me even though I'm really sick of Frozen...

(Cadance)

And replying is definitely an interesting experience to say the least! 

• Brohoof 1

you said that there will not be any snowdrop sequels but would there be the chance to see her make a cameo in other projects ?

TBH we're not really planning any new MLP projects atm, so it's not likely.

Hiya, do you have any upcoming projects? (Sorry if this question was already asked)

We'll be revealing more about Starsign next week in our youtube livestream. It'll be at 5pm pst/8pm EST next saturday.

We've also got a small cartoon planned for Christmas, nothing really major.

• Brohoof 1

OK, this is my last question.

What was your reaction when you received all this support and love from the community.

Thanks for allowing me to take part and thank you Silly FIlly Studios for making me happy.

On my end, shock and awe.

Thanks for being here. 

My most benevolent of greetings to you guys. I'm an avid fan of your work, and I commend you in the highest of ways for your work, such stories, backgrounds, additions, characters, emotions that you all so selflessly bestowed upon this fandom have truly left their mark in many headcanons and hearts far and between our 'demographic'. Thank you all kindly for that.

Now, to finally spew a couple of questions:

Which do you people think is the bedrock for a successful, enjoyable project?

And regarding the artistic facet of these stories, is there any advice you could spare us in matters like animation? The first steps for rookies who would appreciate being able to explore the field?

Edited by Shadow Beam

Who do you like better? Smooze or Button Smasher  :ph34r:

The snooze button

Hey Silly Filly.

Which cola do you prefer?

Pepsi or Coke?

Hey Silly Filly.

Which cola do you prefer?

Pepsi or Coke?

cherry coke>cherry pepsi

regular though I switch between the two.  Right now I'm on a coke fix.

HEY PEOPLE, YOU SHOULD GIVE US RANDOM STUPID QUESTIONS!  I LIKE RANDOM STUPID QUESTIONS!  ESPECIALLY ONES I CAN GIVE RANDOM STUPID ANSWERS TO!

I got a few questions

Do you prefer Mac or PC? 

Whats your favorite animal?

If you could be any race of pony, what would it be? (Other than alicorn)

If you lived in equestria, where would live? (Ponyville, Canterlot, etc.)

Edited by greencm

What advice can you give to me as a possible,e writer and getting into fan fiction writing ?

I'm responding in more of a general sense for this one. The key to learning how to write is to read. Read a lot. Read until your eyes bleed. The more familiar you are with books, the easier it will be to write them.

And regarding the artistic facet of these stories, is there any advice you could spare us in matters like animation? The first steps for rookies who would appreciate being able to explore the field?

Just get started.  Watch other peoples work and start drawing EVERY DAY.  There's no easy answer to this, it's just all about hard work.

• Brohoof 1

I'm responding in more of a general sense for this one. The key to learning how to write is to read. Read a lot. Read until your eyes bleed. The more familiar you are with books, the easier it will be to write them.

Thank you :) I shall Ted to read a little more

So what were you all doing before SFS and how have those skills evolved up until this point in time?

I was just getting into the fandom, after finishing the first season of MLP. I had let my voice go for a year, but was kinda inspired by the creativity in the fandom to get back to doing what I love- which is singing and acting. I'd made my MEMJ0123 youtube account when I was 13, in 2007, and I just dug it up to upload my pony videos on. So I was mainly just auditioning for pony fan projects, which was incidentally how I got involved with SFS. IRL I was in my first year at University, not knowing what the heck I was doing with my life!

Well, they all had their own challenges. I can't really say which was the most challenging. Some characters were difficult to voice pitch-wise, some were difficult acting-wise.

For Voiceover, start out simple. Audacity is a great free audio-editing program. XLR mics will produce better quality sound, but they are more expensive, so I recommend starting with a USB mic. I started with a Samson C01U, it was great. Get a pop-filter, too. Also making sure you have a good recording environment will increase the quality of your sound immensely. If your space has a lot of echo, you can prop up a blanket around your recording station. Try to be aware of the background noises around you, like cars going by, people walking around, other noises, that kinda thing.

Beyond technical stuff, all sorts of different funny voices are great, but you really want to focus on the acting part. Those funny voices won't mean anything if you can't actually act with them. Take improv classes, theatre, even singing lessons help (especially with tone and range of pitch). Have fun with your voice before you try to make a demo reel. A demo reel won't be useful to you until you have an established vocal strength (like, do you do deep voices best? High voices? Mom characters? Cheerful characters?), as the reel will only contain the voices you do best. Fandom stuff is a great way to learn things about your voice. Get involved in group projects, get to know people, make friends! Connections will go a long way, so make sure you are always professional. Stay away from drama if you can help it. The internet can be a dramatic place :P

I think that's about it for now! Hope that helps a bit! Good luck!

• Brohoof 1