Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

fandom q+a Silly Filly Studios Q&A

Simon

Hiya, do you have any upcoming projects? (Sorry if this question was already asked)

We are hoping to have something smaller out soon, but for now look to StarSign! Here's a link to the teaser https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAvhKmNIzKw

Hey, SFS. Have any of you seen LittleshyFiM's video "Everything wrong with Snowdrop in 2 minutes or less"? If so, what did you think of it?

I like your work btw. I found his video of yours and became curious on whether any of you had seen it.

Yeah I saw it. It made me laugh. The best part was when he said my OC (we had our ponies populate a majority of the class) was like a demon since we forgot to animate her blinking in one scene, haha.

This is a question that any of you can feel free to answer.  What sort of fan artwork in the MLP community do all of you enjoy in particular?  Any artists in particular, or genres of art, be it music, animation, visual art pieces, or fanfiction?  :)

My two favorite artists who aren't involved with our group are the Paper Pony shadowbox makers and JadedJynx. I also love orchestral music like Patrick Poe's stuff...but we snagged him for our group now as our musician, so I don't know if that counts.

OK, this is my last question.

What was your reaction when you received all this support and love from the community.

Thanks for allowing me to take part and thank you Silly FIlly Studios for making me happy.

Now we had a decent fanbase from our first animations like Twilight the Unicorn and Luna's Cutie Mark, so I had expected an okay reaction for Snowdrop...but I'm not gonna lie, it blew me away when I woke up after the premiere and saw the craziness that had ensued. It still blows me away to this day. Everyone's been wonderful and I don't regret a minute of work for you guys.

you said that there will not be any snowdrop sequels but would there be the chance to see her make a cameo in other projects ?

Probably not..we don't really have any pony stuff on the horizon right now. StarSign is sorta taking up every minute of free time as it is.

Who do you like better? Smooze or Button Smasher  :ph34r:

I'm...not...sure who...I'm sorry I have no idea.

• Brohoof 1

HEY PEOPLE, YOU SHOULD GIVE US RANDOM STUPID QUESTIONS!  I LIKE RANDOM STUPID QUESTIONS!  ESPECIALLY ONES I CAN GIVE RANDOM STUPID ANSWERS TO!

SoundRez, Blueberry muffin OR Blueberry cupcake

My most benevolent of greetings to you guys. I'm an avid fan of your work, and I commend you in the highest of ways for your work, such stories, backgrounds, additions, characters, emotions that you all so selflessly bestowed upon this fandom have truly left their mark in many headcanons and hearts far and between these boundaries. Thank you kindly for that.

Now, to finally spew a couple of questions:

Which do you people think is the bedrock for a successful, enjoyable project?

And regarding the artistic facet of these stories, is there any advice you could spare us in matters like animation? The first steps for rookies who would appreciate being able to explore the field?

The tl;dr: the execution.

There are no bad ideas (but that's not to say 'ideas guys' don't earn my ire), how you spin and present an idea is going to determine how successful it is.

This obviously can be easier to do with interesting premises, but again, execution is still key.

Take for example, One Punch Man. It's about a guy who's so strong he can beat anyone in a single punch. He sounds like a total Mary Sue. Except, in practice, the manga and anime are really funny and they introduce faults and challenges to him that have nothing to do with his ability and power.

As far as art goes, when it comes to cartoons, I'd say stylization is the ability to represent anatomy. Most novice artists think that style can excuse anatomical choices--style is actually how you represent anatomical choices, not mask them.

Cartoons need to clearly represent a character's form while still being simple enough to draw repeatedly and move around without looking awkward.

I guess tl;dr, focus both on learning anatomy and also how to represent it.

• Brohoof 1

I got a few questions

Do you prefer Mac or PC? 

Whats your favorite animal?

If you could be any race of pony, what would it be?

If you lived in equestria, where would live? (Ponyville, Canterlot, etc.)

Mac

Corgis

The rich kind

Under a rock on top of the tallest mountain in a spot that has just enough wifi connection to access the internet but its too slow to load youtube properly so I have to run down the mountain every couple of days and run and check the ethernet chord because hikers tend to trip over it...

How has MLP, and in turn, being on Silly Filly Studios impacted your lives personally?

MLP really hasn't affected me that much.  I live with a group of friends who are open about anything and everything so we're all fine with it.  As far as SFS goes, it's given me the opportunity to meet a lot of awesome people and expand my options for future careers.

• Brohoof 1

Do you enjoy what you do? And do you think you'll quit anytime soon? (Btw I love your work, Especially fall of the crystal empire!)

I love what I do for SFS. My irl job, not so much, but it pays the bills.

Do you enjoy what you do? And do you think you'll quit anytime soon? (Btw I love your work, Especially fall of the crystal empire!)

I aint stoppin' anytime soon. :Y

What we collectively and individually work on gradually changes over time, but at the end of the day I'm still arting and animating, and that's what I plan to do.

I just want to say thank you and keep up the good work SFS!

No, thank YOU for being awesome fans of awesome stuff!

SoundRez, Blueberry muffin OR Blueberry cupcake

...put the cupcake in the muffin

Definitely.  These days it's very hard to make a living off of doing what you love, so if you have the chance to do it then go for it and don't let go!

• Brohoof 1

HEY PEOPLE, YOU SHOULD GIVE US RANDOM STUPID QUESTIONS!  I LIKE RANDOM STUPID QUESTIONS!  ESPECIALLY ONES I CAN GIVE RANDOM STUPID ANSWERS TO!

Well if you insist...  :comeatus:

Is a cake made of muffins more of a cake than a pie made of cupcakes?  :toldya:

• Brohoof 3

MEMJ0123 It's funny that you should mention theatre because I was actually involved in a local theatre for 5 straight years recently where I was in several variety shows and plays.  Thanks for the advice.  :)

Edited by FlutterGuy999

Well if you insist...  :comeatus:

Is a cake made of muffins more of a cake than a pie made of cupcakes?  :toldya:

To answer this question we have to ask ourselves; What is a cake?

By definition, Cake is a form of sweet dessert that is typically baked. In its oldest forms, cakes were modifications of breads but now cover a wide range of preparations that can be simple or elaborate and share features with other desserts such as pastriesmeringuescustardsand pies.

Typical cake ingredients are floursugareggsbutter or oil, a liquid, and leavening agents, such as baking soda and/or baking powder. Common additional ingredients and flavourings include driedcandied or fresh fruitnutscocoa, and extracts such as vanilla, with numerous substitutions for the primary ingredients. Cakes can also be filled with fruit preserves or dessert sauces (likepastry cream), iced with buttercream or other icings, and decorated with marzipan, piped borders, or candied fruit.

SO, if we go by this definition then that would mean that pies are technically cakes as well.  Therefore, the cake made of muffins and the pie made of cupcakes would be equal to eachother as far as amounts of Cakeitude go...

...But I like pie.

• Brohoof 3

Under a rock on top of the tallest mountain in a spot that has just enough wifi connection to access the internet but its too slow to load youtube properly so I have to run down the mountain every couple of days and run and check the ethernet chord because hikers tend to trip over it...

Why dont you just get one of those T-Mobile things where it gives you better celuar connection in your house and just watch them off your mobile/tablet?

Why dont you just get one of those T-Mobile things where it gives you better celuar connection in your house and just watch them off your mobile/tablet?

But that requires money!!!!

Hey SFS! I'm a huge fan of your animation!

Anyway, do you guys have a daily routine that you run through or is it just straight into the animations?

Edited by VinylWubs

Hey Silly Filly.

Which cola do you prefer?

Pepsi or Coke?

Hey Silly Filly.

Pepsi or Coke?

Cherry coke~

Okay I dont know if there is a limit on questions so I will make this my last.

My favorite Animation you all did was Muffins.Pon (I know random choice).

But what you YOUR favorite project you worked on.

My favorite project so far? If unfinished projects count, StarSign is my personal favorite.

Hi Silly Filly Studios!

What was the inspiration for Snowdrop?

I have answered this some already so I'm gonna make a reeeeally short version (since I'm falling way behind on answering! haha)

Studied abroad in Australia. Missed snow from home. Watched Sonic Rainboom with bf's little bro that day. Remembered the snowflake factory. Wrote story on snow. Wrote four more drafts of it to finished version.

Which do you people think is the bedrock for a successful, enjoyable project?

I've seen writers disagree on what makes the best story or project. Some say plot and some say character. I have to say that I'm on the side of character. As much as I love Snowy there are so many things that I've learned over the years that make me tear my hair out when I watch clips of it. So many things I want to change about her and make better. It's a common issue writers have with finished projects, wanting to change things..but she's flawed in certain ways I wish she wasn't, and not flawed in ways she should be. Good characters create a project. A good plot is nothing without interesting characters driving things home; in contrast, good characters could make three hours of skipping rocks into an epic adventure. If it comes to spending more time on plot or character for a project, character will make it more successful and enjoyable in the long run.

What advice can you give to me as a possible,e writer and getting into fan fiction writing ?

So with writing, if you want to write fanfiction just because you've made stories about it, great! That's where I got my start - though it was reeeeeally bad fanfiction, lemme tell you. I'm glad Quizilla kicked the bucket so nobody can find my old fanfics. But don't fall into a trap where you write fanfiction just because fanfictions get noticed more in fandoms. Write what you want. Just let it all spill out onto a word document. Be wary it's gonna be crap the first time around, and the second, and the seventh time around too. As you write, you'll improve...so just write what you want and your style and stories will grow in time.

I got a few questions

Do you prefer Mac or PC? 

If you could be any race of pony, what would it be? (Other than alicorn)

PC just cause I'm used to it.

Elephants, otters, seals, kitties.

Pegasus so I could fly.

Cloudsdale cause rainbows.

How has MLP, and in turn, being on Silly Filly Studios impacted your lives personally?

If I wasn't in SFS, I would be lost. I wouldn't know what I would be doing with my life...I wouldn't be voice acting, I wouldn't really be writing anything worthwhile. I would probably be trying to get an editing job (and failing miserably because editing jobs are really difficult to come by.) I wouldn't have my friend group with me. I wouldn't be working so hard trying to achieve my dream to be a professional creative.

Sorta goes to show how if you have good friends by your side anything is possible..Keep your true friends close. They'll be what gets you through anything and everything.

• Brohoof 3

Anyway, do you guys have a daily routine that you run through or is it just straight into the animations?

Run in circles. Stop. Scream. Repeat.

• Brohoof 1

Whay advice would you give to others who have ideas but need to find motivation to create and build them up ? Great work by the way

Sometimes you just need to be disciplined with yourself. Sit down and start doing. Brainstorm, jot out directions you want the idea to take. Look at the things that inspire you. Work on a little bit at a time, go over and revise old stuff, keep improving what you have. Keep writing utensils and paper on you at all times, just in case inspiration strikes.

Who is your favorite princess  :comeatus:

And how hard is it to keep replying? 

I think I'm biased, I just love doing the Celestia impression. I think Celestia is pretty great though.

Also there's so much! I take too long answering questions and there's like 50 more questions when I refresh! Ahhh!

Hey, SFS. Have any of you seen LittleshyFiM's video "Everything wrong with Snowdrop in 2 minutes or less"? If so, what did you think of it?

I like your work btw. I found his video of yours and became curious on whether any of you had seen it.

I did! I thought it was hilarious, loved it!

OK, this is my last question.

What was your reaction when you received all this support and love from the community.

Thanks for allowing me to take part and thank you Silly FIlly Studios for making me happy.

I know I was pretty shocked, and thrilled. I felt so grateful for both the community and for my friends with SFS, both have brought so much joy to my life.

Thanks for the questions!!

Hey Silly Filly.

Pepsi or Coke?

Hey Silly Filly.

Pepsi or Coke?

I have no preference, both are fine.

Okay I dont know if there is a limit on questions so I will make this my last.

My favorite Animation you all did was Muffins.Pon (I know random choice).

But what you YOUR favorite project you worked on.

I really am terrible with favourites T.T I've enjoyed all the projects we worked on!

I got a few questions

Do you prefer Mac or PC? 

If you could be any race of pony, what would it be? (Other than alicorn)

PC, dogs, Earth pony, Ponyville

Being in SFS has really given me the opportunity to develop my skills, and the confidence to carry those skills to whatever I audition for. I've never felt so close to a group of people before SFS, we're pretty tight-knit, it's nice to have people you can talk to who understand the trials you go through career-wise and have similar interests/passions as you do.

I love what I get to do for the team! As long as we're together having fun and doing what we love, I don't think we'll be quitting anytime soon. (Hopefully Star will be a hit. :) )

We have a bit of a routine. We have weekly meetings every Sunday to catch up on everyone's work and assign new tasks to people who have completed jobs. Other than that, we're self-disciplined and work on tasks on our own or in small groups, depending on the assignment.

well it kinda varies.

SFS isn't conventional. We more kinda operate like a giant collaborative effort rather than a singular studio (which is kinda necessary since we're cloud-based).

If we're in downtime between animations, I personally often dedicate myself to my personal stuff, from commissions, streaming, side animations, or running PV02. I usually dedicate a sizeable chunk of time to this as well normally, just cause I don't need to spend every hour working on animation, so long as I get done what needs to be finished by its respective deadline.

However, if there's a deadline I usually am still dedicating at least a few hours each day.

It's usually a bit easier to think of things on a week-to-week basis, though, rather than day-to-day. We meet up once a week over skype so that's when we decide what tasks need to be done by next meeting.

Other people have jobs and stuff so they can't reliably commit their full attention to the group, and one policy we have in the group is RL comes first. Make sure your finances and work and the like are taken care of.

Just under 2 hours left in the Q&A everybody!  

Don't forget to make a donation to MCM or ask a question in the Q&A before the end to be entered to win a Snowdrop plush!

I meant to get this as the first post on page 6, not the last post in page 5 </3

• Brohoof 1