Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

fandom q+a Silly Filly Studios Q&A

Simon

I just wanted to thank you guys for typing REALLY hard and doing this Q&A for us! Thanks!  B)

I'll send you the medical bill. I hear pushbuttonitis is quite expensive these days.

Why did did you make Twilight the Unicorn?

Why not make it? It was fun! We had all three Charlie the Unicorn scripts and voice work completely finished too so there would have been more...the animator working on it had to focus on school so we never got to animate them, but they were there...probably still floating around in our team dropbox somewhere.

Do you enjoy what you do? And do you think you'll quit anytime soon? (Btw I love your work, Especially fall of the crystal empire!)

Absolutely, vocal work is has been my passion all my life, I don't think I could ever imagine myself giving up on acting and singing and creating content. We make a great team and I do not intend to stop doing stuff for SFS.

Hey SFS! I'm a huge fan of your animation!

Anyway, do you guys have a daily routine that you run through or is it just straight into the animations?

My days never have a routine, I hardly know what I'm going to be doing one day to the next.

Any advice or recommended programs for someone who wants to learn how to draw? I also just wanted to say thanks for all the content you guys put out as sfs and individually. I already preordered a snowdrop plush as a birthday present to myself and can't wait for your next project. Oh and congratulations on 25k subscribers Memj0123!

Any advice or recommended programs for someone who wants to learn how to draw? I also just wanted to say thanks for all the content you guys put out as sfs and individually. I already preordered a snowdrop plush as a birthday present to myself and can't wait for your next project. Oh and congratulations on 25k subscribers Memj0123!

Photoshop - expensive but very versatile, can do almost anything, from video editing to drawing to photomanipulation. This is what I primarily use, and is also what I started with.

Sai - cheaper, prefered by a lot of people. Geared towards drawing alone.

Firealpaca - Free, can be built to look like Sai and actually function similar. Probably a good starting point.

Gimp - Also free, can be customized to look like Photoshop.

Manga Studio/Clip Studio Paint - this one is one of my favorites. It's about $70-100, can't remember, but it's REALLY good. I do a lot of linework in this.

Krita - Free, geared towards drawing.

Pretty much any program that has tablet pressure sensitivity will work as a starting point. Just one piece of advice: if you use a stabilizer, keep it as low as you can. High stabilizers lead to lack of line control long term. Fast, confident lines are both more efficient and look better.

Edited by Zedrin
  • Brohoof 3

Is there a way to purchase the Snowdrop plush if we don't win the raffle???

Of course there is! Go to this link to preorder her here

What was the good and the bad from making the youtube channel?

The good? Getting to make animations, primarily. Also making contacts. Going to conventions and see each other and meet our subscribers. Getting feedback on our work, both good and bad.

The bad? Taxes are weird when you're freelance (that goes for Youtube ads or other freelance stuff.) For someone like me who cannot math to save her life, it makes things difficult when it's not on a simple W2. Hate mail that doesn't hold constructive criticism is never fun...but if it's constructive, then we can take it seriously and learn about our craft from a third party's eye.

Photoshop is the norm but there are other programs that are a bit cheaper.  I'd recommend Paint Tool Sai.  I use it for my linework.

• Brohoof 1

HEY PEOPLE, YOU SHOULD GIVE US RANDOM STUPID QUESTIONS!  I LIKE RANDOM STUPID QUESTIONS!  ESPECIALLY ONES I CAN GIVE RANDOM STUPID ANSWERS TO!

If you were a muffin, what flavor would it be?

So while I have a break in answering questions, and since we're at the halfway mark, I just wanted to link some important stuff we wanted to share with you tonight.

I’ve linked it already but the teaser to our next project, StarSign, is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAvhKmNIzKw

We are having a special livestream concerning StarSign on November 28th, so next Saturday, at 8 PM EST/5 PM PST. We’ll be showing some animation tests, a portion of the animatic, and answering questions that day – so come prepared! The link to the livestream will be here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAGdpHy2-0U

And I know this was answered, but if you are not the winner of the Snowdrop plush tonight, you can still pre-order her right here! http://lunarshine.myshopify.com/collections/plush-toys/products/snowdrop-plush-toy-by-silly-filly-studios

• Brohoof 5

You wanna know whats as hard as keeping stars bright? Making that animation, I would think.

I read this comment out loud in the skype call we're having and all the animators and storyboarders started to cry.

• Brohoof 2

Thank you! :D

Also I'm learning to draw myself, and honestly, I would just start with paper and pencil, and then later on move onto the programs Travis and Zed recommended. Do gesture sketches, practice shapes, think of items in terms of their shapes, sketch things every day. That's what's helped me the most.

• Brohoof 1

Apologies for once again interrupting the Q&A, but I just wanted to take a moment to thank everybody while we're at the halfway mark and let everybody know that we just passed the $1,000 mark in our Making Christmas Merrier charity drive!   :D 

Keep the questions and donations coming!

• Brohoof 3

Apologies for once again interrupting the Q&A, but I just wanted to take a moment to thank everybody while we're at the halfway mark and let everybody know that we just passed the $1,000 mark in our Making Christmas Merrier charity drive!   :D 

Keep the questions and donations coming!

YAY!! (That's a lot of money. o.o)

Keep donating everyone! For the children~!

• Brohoof 2

HEY PEOPLE, YOU SHOULD GIVE US RANDOM STUPID QUESTIONS!  I LIKE RANDOM STUPID QUESTIONS!  ESPECIALLY ONES I CAN GIVE RANDOM STUPID ANSWERS TO!

I kinda wanna play along with this, but I prefer random critical thinking so: Do you believe technological advancement is negatively impacting biological evolution?

Edited by SugarfootWillie
  • Brohoof 1

Let's see... any fan art of your own properties that have ever particularly struck you as moving or just plain cool?  And that includes music, art, fics, whatever.  :grin2:

• Brohoof 1