Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

fandom q+a Silly Filly Studios Q&A

Simon

Uhm... hiya.

I was wondering if there were any PARTICULAR cartoons or animated movies from your childhoods that spoke volumes to you?  Not exactly influences on your work, as much as brought that magical feeling of childlike wonder?

... I'll just go over here now.  Thank you for your time.

*hides in the corner*

Oh goodness, that's an interesting question...from my childhood, I'd have to say certain Disney movies. Disney is still a big inspiration for me - one of my dreams is to be a Disney writer, to the point I've drafted up entire rides and movie concepts fitted solely to their style. However, a lot of the Disney movies I remember watching over and over again weren't the typical fan-favorites. I watched Fantasia, Dumbo, Lady and the Tramp, Robin Hood, Winnie the Pooh, and Fox and the Hound a lot...but Lion King and Beauty and the Beast are up there too.

I feel like the cartoons I grew up on when I was really little are split half and half in certain respects of childhood learning necessity - there are cartoons like Powerpuff Girls and Dexter's Lab, where I learned to appreciate comedy, and there are the Hey Arnolds, where I learned to appreciate life. I think Hey Arnold was the biggest cartoon for me because it never tried to talk down to me the way some of the slapstick comedies did. I think that's also why I appreciate the modern cartoon renaissance we're getting with Gravity Falls, Steven Universe, and to a certain extent We Bare Bears and Star vs. the Forces of Evil (more slapstick than the former two but still not purposefully juvenile.) We're still seeing some grossout cartoons like Pickle and Peanut, which have their place even if they aren't my cup of tea, but I feel like the trend is evolving to where cartoons are both speaking to everyone rather than one age group more effectively, and speaking to the kids on a level that meets their true intelligence, rather than what adults think their emotional intelligence is. I liked Inside Out a lot because of that too.

(Sorry for going on a lot there...I just find the social study of cartoons fascinating.)

Why doesn't the universe implode when you mix chocolate and peanut butter together? ... 

Because if the universe imploded, we wouldn't be there to enjoy it.

• Brohoof 2

I kinda wanna play along with this, but I prefer random critical thinking so: Do you believe technological advancement is negatively impacting biological evolution?

I'm planning on keeping all of you in my people zoo once we robots take over.

• Brohoof 6

I'm planning on keeping all of you in my people zoo once we robots take over.

But we're pals.  So I get the presidential cage right?  

• Brohoof 2

What do you guys like to do when you feel really lazy? Showers or baths? Boxers or briefs? Any weird habits? Just throwing out some random questions :P

I love just sitting back and reading a good book or watching a good movie. That or closing my eyes and listening to new music. (Super into classical Indian orchestral right now. Rocking that sitar.)

Baths.

um...do they make girl boxers cause that'd be awesome. o.o

I have minor counting OCD, so sometimes I count my steps in fours and eights.

What are some of your favorite foods?

Pixie Stix and Fundip, Macaroni and Cheese, Peaches and Bananas, Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream.

...Not all at the same time.

What was the hardest video you guys worked on?

I think collectively the hardest was Snowdrop, though I think Zed would say Fall of the Crystal Empire...

How many of you guys are fans of The Nostalgia Critic?

I know a few people in the group like Courtney (ProjectSNT) enjoy The Nostalgia Critic. 

do you wanna build a snowman?

GO AWAY OLAF

• Brohoof 3

I actually live a few cities away from him, just outside of Chicago.  I'll put his videos on in the background while I work every once in a while.  I talked with him and Malcolm a bit at a con we went to, very nice and chill guys.

do you wanna build a snowman?

FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

<--doesn't like Frozen

• Brohoof 2

(orpantiesifwe'retalkingaboutwhatweliketoseeinsteadofwearhurhurhurhur)

Ah yes I see. More proof of why I follow you. And yes I welcome our robot masters if pivot is one.

Mario or Sonic?

Did Sega do what Nintendon't?

• Brohoof 1

Uhm, hiya - me again, if it's okay...

I'd like to strategically aim this question @@Meresims, but the rest of you are welcome to answer it too, if you have an opinion on it.

You say you enjoy the social study of cartoons?  That's pretty cool - it makes me wonder, what are your thoughts on some of the other animated works out there, like The Secret of NIMH, Wizards, Fritz The Cat, Heavy Metal and American Pop; those kinds of works?

Okay... I'll just be... well, you know.

*hides in the corner again*

• Brohoof 1

Mario or Sonic?

Kirby/Pokemon.

Edited by Simon
Bypassing the character minimum for Meredith like a boss :P
  • Brohoof 1

What do you guys like to do when you feel really lazy? Showers or baths? Boxers or briefs? Any weird habits? Just throwing out some random questions :P

I like to lounge around in my PJs, sing without any effort to whatever is in my iTunes library, and munch on snacks.

Showers! Although the occasional bubble bath is nice.

I am female, soooo panties? (TMI?)

I must play with whatever is in arms reach. I fiddle with something new every day. One day it's a receipt, next an empty candy wrapper, rulers, pens/pencils, scissors, spoons, elastics, my glasses, keychains. I am always restless.

What are some of your favorite foods?

I will never get tired of mashed potatoes with butter.

One thing I'm always curious about is how often you go back and watch animations you were involved with after they were released.  I know for me anything creative I've ever done like writing or anything of that nature, I tend to never go back and really look at it again after it's finished, so I'm curious if that's true of people in animation too.

I'm not an animator, but I'm always embarassed by old stuff. I'm just never happy whenever I hear my voice lol.

• Brohoof 3

I actually live a few cities away from him, just outside of Chicago.  I'll put his videos on in the background while I work every once in a while.  I talked with him and Malcolm a bit at a con we went to, very nice and chill guys.

Lucky!!!   :pinkie:   I've been hoping to meet him at an upcoming con.  Maybe he'll be at MME again this April.  I'm constantly checking their site.

Mario or Sonic?

I grew up on the Genesis so I never really got into Nintendo games.  Sonic 2 was my first game ever played.  So I've always been a Sonic fan, but fortunately I'm the type whose smart enough to know that a lot of the recent games are crap.

• Brohoof 3

I like his videos! I haven't watch a lot of him, but I do enjoy his content!

• Brohoof 1

Uhm, hiya - me again, if it's okay...

I'd like to strategically aim this question @@Meresims, but the rest of you are welcome to answer it too, if you have an opinion on it.

You say you enjoy the social study of cartoons?  That's pretty cool - it makes me wonder, what are your thoughts on some of the other animated works out there, like The Secret of NIMH, Wizards, Fritz The Cat, Heavy Metal and American Pop; those kinds of works?

Okay... I'll just be... well, you know.

*hides in the corner again*

So my access to non-mainstream cartoons was a bit limited as a kid but I'll try to answer this best I can...

I really enjoy Don Bluth's stuff, but I never got to watch NIMH and I'm embarrassed to say I still haven't. I watched Thumbelina, Anastasia, Rock a Doodle, and I loved all of those. They didn't stick to me as much as the Disney stuff...I'd say I watched them about as much as I watched Milo and Otis (which I watched a fair bit but not over and over...) with Anastasia a bit more often because of the music. 

I *barely* remember Fritz the Cat, but I do remember it. I had it recorded on a VCR and watched it occasionally. I'm glad you mentioned that one because I had completely forgotten it until now.

And I'm not sure what American Pop, Heavy Metal, or Wizards are...I'll look them up though! 

(Also I forgot to say I also watched The Three Caballeros as a kid and that movie was my JAM.) 

• Brohoof 2

One thing I'm always curious about is how often you go back and watch animations you were involved with after they were released.  I know for me anything creative I've ever done like writing or anything of that nature, I tend to never go back and really look at it again after it's finished, so I'm curious if that's true of people in animation too.

Ah, I missed this one, sorry! 

I don't watch Snowdrop anymore. I can't. There's too much in it that I want to fix and I get frustrated. (Plus like most actors I can't listen to the sound of my own voice for too long.)

But I will watch the parodies again, those are funny. Usually what I don't have very much involvement in, I can watch more often.

What are your guilty pleasures when it comes to Movies and TV Shows?

I don't really feel guilty about the movies I watch. I love Stardust, Hundred Foot Journey, Tomorrowland, classic Disney movies...and then Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, and all kinds of anime.

When I was younger I used to have anime be my guilty pleasure, I hid in the basement to watch Cyborg 009 on Toonami and didn't tell my family about it. But now I really don't care what they think cause I enjoy it. It's led to a lot less strife in my life, that's for sure. 

• Brohoof 1

If the (old) Discord was real, would you be scared of him? 

Reality bending quasi deity who gets nasty when bored? I'd be bloody terrified.

• Brohoof 2

Psshaw, I'd happily live in a world with as much randomness as that.

• Brohoof 2

Naaah...a lot of what he did in the season 2 opening seemed fun, if inconvenient.

• Brohoof 2

What are your guilty pleasures when it comes to Movies and TV Shows?

I can't really think of guilty pleasure movies or TV shows, actually. I thought Star Wars Revenge of the Sith was okay, the best out of the prequels at least, is that guilty enough?

Ehh, probably not. I think I'd be confused more than anything.

• Brohoof 2