Most Improved Character in Season II

Whiteshade

Most improved character for season 2  

65 users have voted

1. 1. Vote. For Science.

• Twilight Sparkle
    • Rainbow Dash
    • Pinkie Pie
    • Diamond Tiara (because nopony is voting AJ)
    • Fluttershy
    • Rarity
    • Spike
    • CMC

Thankfully, answering this question isn't easy. One of the great things about this season was that everyone got development, even Granny. I was going to vote RD because she, as someone pointed out, showed she had other priorites more important than winning in the episode "Hurricane Fluttershy" but then i remembered she has always put her friends before her interests so that particular action didn't mean development.

I voted for Fluttershy, but I hesitated a lot before doing so. While she did improve, she doesn't keep much of that development. Pity, I would have loved some flutterrage at the finale.

Wow, I've never heard someone refer to Rainbow Dash as "Rarity" before.

But seriously RD went from being super hard headed and always having to get her way to being a much more compassionate, caring pony, while still retaining that personality i love so much about her. Second probably was Rarity, I can actually understand where she's coming from on most of her problems now.

Spike is the most improved this season in contrast to season 1. Even though he did vastly improve in season two, it all started with "Owl's Well That Ends Well", a season 1 episode, in which we saw more of Spike's personality - an effective stepping stone for his character heading into Season 2. Prior to that episode, it felt like as if he was just a side character to the Mane 6 and didn't really get much attention, but Season 2 really developed his character through local events such as the infamous "Ponyville rampage" and most definitely in "Dragon Quest" and as a result, he is viewed as a "Mane" character rather than just an assistant to Twilight. Quite steadily, he went from being just a baby dragon with the typical "side character" persona to a real character with real feelings on the world, such as his crush on Rarity, and his understanding of his biological form of a dragon which contrasts with his "pony" persona, which he fully respects after "Dragon Quest". Not only did this bring Spike that much closer to the Mane 6, but it shows you that you have to be a certain "race" in order to act a certain way (in his case, a pony - since he was brought up by a pony). This understanding deepened his relationships with the ponies and ultimately viewed himself and others in a different light - not for what they are, but who they are. A very mature understanding for a character who's deemed as just a child, so in regards to character development, this is not the typical form of development (as in, other shows) you would see in such a character of his depiction, which is a baby dragon.

Edited by Devin McCourty
  • Brohoof 1

I'm ambivalent about Fluttershy's "development." She became more assertive, yes, but, in a trite aphorism, at what cost? Fluttershy is charming because she is shy and caring; "Flutterage" is reserved for only when her friends get hurt or if cute animals reject her. The circumstances of Fluttershy growing a backbone, i.e., "Putting Your Hoof Down", are not the best.

Absolutely. While it was nice to see Fluttershy becoming assertive and all, it was at a rather costly purchase.

However, I did very much respect the fact that she rose to challenge and occasion in "Hurricane Fluttershy" where she was the X-factor in getting the water to Cloudsdale... but other than that, there's nothing too much to note for her. Or maybe it was just the extreme lack of Fluttershy for the most part in season 2. I'm currently pondering on whether they'll focus more on FS than the others for next season.

• Brohoof 1

Absolutely. While it was nice to see Fluttershy becoming assertive and all, it was at a rather costly purchase.

However, I did very much respect the fact that she rose to challenge and occasion in "Hurricane Fluttershy" where she was the X-factor in getting the water to Cloudsdale... but other than that, there's nothing too much to note for her. Or maybe it was just the extreme lack of Fluttershy for the most part in season 2. I'm currently pondering on whether they'll focus more on FS than the others for next season.

Fluttershy did indeed get the short end of the stick this past season. Either the writers found it increasingly difficult to write stories involving her as the central character or they wanted to emphasize the other members of the Mane Six. Whatever the case may be, her development was not as smooth as Twilight's. Aside from "Hurricane Fluttershy", Fluttershy either received no significant attention/development or was turned into a caricature of the "beware the sweet and quiet ones" trope. Season one was far kinder to her.

Season one was far kinder to her.

Probably because season 1 wasn't as dynamic as season 2. Season 2 had much more flair to it in regards to giving the audience what the want, but like you said, this "flair" ultimately cast Fluttershy off the side. However... when the time was right, having Fluttershy and some of her newfound traits in an episode made that episode that much "darker" or enhanced the overall mood of it.

Spike is the most improved this season in contrast to season 1. Even though he did vastly improve in season two, it all started with "Owl's Well That Ends Well", a season 1 episode, in which we saw more of Spike's personality - an effective stepping stone for his character heading into Season 2. Prior to that episode, it felt like as if he was just a side character to the Mane 6 and didn't really get much attention, but Season 2 really developed his character through local events such as the infamous "Ponyville rampage" and most definitely in "Dragon Quest" and as a result, he is viewed as a "Mane" character rather than just an assistant to Twilight. Quite steadily, he went from being just a baby dragon with the typical "side character" persona to a real character with real feelings on the world, such as his crush on Rarity, and his understanding of his biological form of a dragon which contrasts with his "pony" persona, which he fully respects after "Dragon Quest". Not only did this bring Spike that much closer to the Mane 6, but it shows you that you have to be a certain "race" in order to act a certain way (in his case, a pony - since he was brought up by a pony). This understanding deepened his relationships with the ponies and ultimately viewed himself and others in a different light - not for what they are, but who they are. A very mature understanding for a character who's deemed as just a child, so in regards to character development, this is not the typical form of development (as in, other shows) you would see in such a character of his depiction, which is a baby dragon.

Great post McCourty and I agree that Spike has improved dramatically in season 2.

I give the writers extra credit in developing his character more for this community. I like how the relationship between him and Rarity get deeper in the episode "Secret To My Excess," and go so far Spike admitting the crush he has on her with tears of happiness. A very touching moment in that episode.

I love the new season, I love the old season as a matter of character change. Rainbow Dash had an improvement, she is more relatable and has more screen time. She has some of my favorite MLP content from mlp season 2. I don't know about rarity. I think she may be better. I don't know though she was my fav (mane 6) in season 1 but rainbow took me by storm in season 2. She is just SO AWESOME. Even though if there was a derpy poll I'd vote yes. But that would depend on which form tbh.