Broniesinarms

62 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

I think this episode is just a whole lot of fun. I like how in the end Rainbow Dash finds a loophole inside of her own rules for the tortoise to win.

Edited by Dr. Eggnog
  • Brohoof 2

I love the irony in this episode, it was cute. RainbowDash isn't my favorite character though and I sorta enjoyed seeing her ego get hurt when she got stuck under that rock :P

But I love her and that turtle

• Brohoof 2

I love the irony in this episode, it was cute. RainbowDash isn't my favorite character though and I sorta enjoyed seeing her ego get hurt when she got stuck under that rock tongue.png

But I love her and that turtle

You're right, Rainbow Dash's ego did need to be shaken up a bit.

The turtle's so sweet though. Uh, I mean, the TORTOISE is so sweet.

But anyway, this episode was just plain amazing.

• 2 months later...

I think Tank is a great foil in this episode for RD.

the turtle/tortoise gag never got old

find a pet song is def in the top 5 best songs of MLP... idk but it makes me think of broadway a lot... I guess because of the speaking parts inbetween the lyrics

• 1 month later...

This episode maybe my favorite episode in the season (beside the Iron Will one because assertive Fluttershy is best of many Fluttershy) and maybe the whole show... for now. The thing I like the most in this episode I think is the song. 

I'm more surprised by the fact that people on this topic actually expected Scootaloo to make an appearance by trying out for Rainbow Dash's pet :blink: (unless y'all were just being sarcastic lol).

As much as having a falcon as Dash's pet makes sense, none of the other pets noticed Dash's trouble because of their strong desire to win, but thankfully Tank was there to save her and even lift her to the checkered flag. The hare didn't win the race.

• 2 months later...

"May the Best Pet Win"... *nostalgic sigh* I like this episode... I like this episode A LOT!!! img-1379355-5-xtWXQl1.png  Not just because it's a damn good episode, which it is, but this episode holds a very special place in my heart for nostalgic purposes.  But we'll get to that in a little bit.  "May the Best Win" is the first of two Rainbow Dash-centered episodes in a row in Season 2, and admittedly, probably the better of the two.  It was also the first RD centered episode since "Sonic Rainboom" way back in the middle of Season 1, so it was quite nice seeing RD get the spotlight once again (not that she's not constantly trying to get in the spotlight anyways laugh.png).  So, let's get going with this review!

So, the first thing that of course makes this episode work is that it's a great Rainbow Dash episode period.  Rainbow Dash is, well, basically Rainbow Dash the whole episode; she's brash, loudmouthed, awesome, uber-confident, and to top it all off, she's looking for a pet with the same exact qualities.  Yes, it seems the writers realized that they'd given every one of the Mane 6 a pet except for RD and decided to rectify that, so off Dash goes looking for a pet (after a delightful musical number, but I'll talk more about that later).  So of course, the whole idea of holding a contest to get a pet is quite ludicrous, seeing as that's not the purpose of a pet, but the reason it works here and also Rainbow Dash doesn't come out looking extremely shallow and douchey is, quite simply because early on in the episode you know she's going to learn a lesson, that she's going to in the end discover what having a pet is really all about, and furthermore why you should befriend somepony in general to boot.  And of course she does, she learns a great lesson that, while it seems like something she should've known by now given everything that had already happened in the show, doesn't make you annoyed at her that much mostly because, like I said, you know pretty much from the beginning that she's going to learn it.  How do you know she's going to learn it?  Well it's all thanks to a new little addition to the show simply known as... TANK.

tank_by_brainchildeats-d4mpza7.png

Look at him... bask in his glory, because no matter how hard you try you will never be as cool as the tortoise called Tank!!! img-1379355-5-xtWXQl1.png   OK, admittedly I may be exaggerating just a little, but the dude's undeniably awesome!  This little-engine-that-could from the moment he first shows up never, ever quits trying to win Rainbow Dash's affection, even when faced with overwhelming odds given the competition in Rainbow's contest with standards he simply can't meet, at least not on the surface that is. wink.png   In the end, though, despite RD's misgivings and complete lack of confidence in this tortoise's ability, Tank proves himself to be the perfect fit for Rainbow Dash as a pet: absolutely loyal, tenacious, and possessing a winning attitude that fits perfectly with Ms. 20% Cooler.  By the time I'd first finished watching this episode, Tank had not only won over RD's affection, but mine as well; I love this little guy, and while he may not be my favorite out of the pets (like the Mane 6, I don't really have a favorite out of the pets... though I do have a least favorite... bucking Owlowiscious KUbAnTY.png), there is no other pet that I could see more perfect for RD, and to his credit he's the only pet out of the bunch who's had an entire episode in which he's been a costar and we got to learn a whole lot about his personality (AND NO, I'M NOT COUNTING "OWL'S WELL THAT ENDS WELL" BECAUSE OWLOWISCIOUS DOESN'T HAVE A PERSONALITY, ALL HE SAYS IS "HOO"!!!!!!!!!! angry.png).  So yeah, all in all Tank was a lovely addition to the show and its character line-up, and me, I'll always love the guy.

rainbow_dash___tank_tortoise_by_mystical

Chopper-tortoise is bucking awesome and adorable simultaneously!!! wub.png img-1379355-5-xtWXQl1.png 

Finally, what else makes this episode work.  Couple things.  Animation is impressive as usual, especially the sequences involving the dozens of animals we usually don't see featured in the show.  The comedy is solid, lots of physical humor with the animals along with RD's usual hilarious over-the-top behavior and personality.  As I said, the lesson that you shouldn't choose a pet or your friends based on shallow traits like physical prowess, but rather on how winning their attitude is, is a very good one, especially for RD to learn, even if she should've learned it by now anyways, and overall the way it's learned is executed very nicely.  And then there's one big thing that I've got to mention: the song.  Oh boy, the song!

"Find a Pet" is not only one of my favorite songs in the second season, but it's also one of my favorite songs in MLP period.  It is also not only the first full length song of Season 2, but in addition one of the most important songs in MLP's history for one big reason: it's the first duet of the show!  We'd had solos AND ensembles before this episode, but never had Daniel Ingram written a full-length duet of all things for the show, and my oh my it's a winner!!!  Everything about it is perfect; the tune is pleasant, the lyrics are awesome, and Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash's contrasting voices make for a lovely and unique duet.

But that's not the only reason this tune is special to me.  Way back in early 2012, before I was a brony, while I was interning out in Washington, D.C., I began noticing how ponies were showing up everywhere on the Internet.  After seeing quite a few memes I finally gave one video a looksy, a parody vid.  This was that vid (WARNING: does not contain foul language but turn your volume down if you watch, especially if wearing headphones!!!):

Thanks to Solrac/Yaplap's incredibly hilarious parody, I was eventually drawn to the actual song itself.  After some more thought and investigation, I eventually began watching the show, and so began my first steps into bronyhood.  So, seeing as "Find a Pet" was in many ways largely responsible for my giving the show a chance in the first place, it will always hold a special place in my heart, as will the episode as a whole.  Not much more to say about the episode beyond that; it's awesome and always worth a rewatch, much like its two costars!!! derpy_emoticon1.png

Rainbow_Dash_and_Tank_nose_kissing_S2E7.

That's just plain adorable. wub.png 

• Brohoof 6

• 4 months later...

This was one of my favorite episodes, as well as containing one of my favorite songs. I love Fluttershy and Rainbow singing their duet. The cuteness meter pegged at over 9000 when Fluttershy opened the song with "Rainbow my dear". I found that really adorable. I liked how Rainbow countered that with "Fluttershy pal."

• 1 month later...

A little weak for the season, good episode nevertheless.

I like the beginning, the Find a Pet song is a classic :D

The biggest flaw is that it's way too much hinted that Tank will become Rainbow Dash's pet. Thus the end is so predictable.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This was a good episode. It involves Rainbow Dash looking for a pet that's the coolest but gets a turtle as a pet instead. And yes, Tank is as solid as a tank! My highlight for this episode was:

• Brohoof 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

This has got to be one of my absolute favorite episodes in the series!  I LOVE IT!  Not only do I like it, but out of all of the episodes of MLP that I have shown my friends(admittedly trying to get them into the show) this episode, especially the song(AMAZING!), is the one episode that I have seen them show the most interest in.  I was showing my friend this episode, and someone walked in the room right at the beginning of the song.  After the song, both of their eyes were completely glued to the screen.  It was just done so well!  Not only that, but Tank is such a sweet character(yes, sweet as in cool, but also sweet as in kind).  Though the entire episode was completely saturated, everything else seemed to simply make up for it.  Gotta love an episode centered around the ponies' loving animal companions! :pinkie:

• 1 month later...
(edited)

I just came back to watch "May the Best Pet Win" because I loved "Tanks for the Memories" so much. Yes, I loved reliving how Rainbow met the little guy that stole her heart! I had forgotten about one of my favorite Rainbow Dash moments as well. It was when she whistled along for a bit to Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries". I found that to be priceless! How in the world is that piece known in Equestria? However, it's a fitting theme for Rainbow.

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the episode was pretty good. RD being overly harsh on the pets, being really demanding, only wanting the best, fit her character pretty well :). I was really entertained, seeing all of these pets competing to satisfy RD  ^_^

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Didn't much care for this episode because of the fact that Rainbow Dash is my least favorite of the mane six (don't be mad Rainboomers, I'm not insulting anyone.)  She is in my top 25 ponies, so at least I don't hate her.  I did enjoy Tank's cute tortoise behavior.  I thought it was sweet and heartwarming how much he wanted to be her pet.  All in all, when compared with other MLP episodes, I'd give it a 4 out of 10.

• 4 months later...

am I the only one who thinks that rainbow dash was kinda acting like a dick in that episode? she saw the passion, love and care tank felt towards her, and yet she decided to pick a pet based on their skills. that's not how you pick a pet, that's not how you treat a future family member. I really felt sorry for tank, and I hope rainbow dash really realised how horrible she's been acting, 'cause otherwise, she wouldn't deserve a pet as wonderful and great as tank.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...