• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Hmmm......

3 out of 5....

_
Its alright. Its good. Its fine... bla bla bla.

I like tank... RD actually gets rather annoying in this episode.. And not in a  good way.

Its not a episode I go out of my way to watch, but its one that I don't mind watching.

_
Up side: tortoise love...

Down Side: Needs more Alicorns.

• 8 months later...

I liked this Episode, it was a fun race and i also liked, that it showed a bit more Animals than usual. I just disliked Rainbow Dashs Personality in this one. Sometimes she is just so full of herself, that it honestly annoys me, not as much as Pinkie Pie, but Rainbow Dash has become the second worst Pony to me.

• 5 weeks later...

This is blatantly terrific. Rainbow's still kinda selfish and rude in this, but never too mean-spirited, and she's also at her absolute most charismatic. The animals are cute, the script is laugh-a-minute, and there's a joyous momentum to all of it that I just find irresistible. Plus, Rainbow Dash didn't need to be humiliated to learn her lesson. It was just an accident which came from her not paying attention, and the episode doesn't even overemphasize her overconfidence. Of course, the moral isn't really about pets - it's about people, about the value of perseverance. Otherwise, this is one of those episodes where talking further would just involve me listing great gags, so here's a few observations I had this time:

• It would have been funnier if they had used a real eagle call. 
  • I need gifs of Rainbow Dash saying "pause for dramatic effect" and "dun dun dun!"
  • Wow, Rainbow Dash saying Twilight would "never qualify to be her pet" sure is a roundabout way of calling her a nerd. 
  • Oh, Fluttershy references the song they sang earlier. Is this the first time a character acknowledged the musical numbers?
  • Shout out to the moment when the falcon shakes Tank's foot(?) and walks sadly away. Good sportsmanship. 

Score:

Entertainment: 10/10

Characters: 8/10

Themes: 9/10

Story: 9/10

Overall: 93/100

• Brohoof 3

• 3 months later...
On 12/13/2015 at 11:43 AM, Dracu98 said:

am I the only one who thinks that rainbow dash was kinda acting like a dick in that episode? she saw the passion, love and care tank felt towards her, and yet she decided to pick a pet based on their skills. that's not how you pick a pet, that's not how you treat a future family member. I really felt sorry for tank, and I hope rainbow dash really realised how horrible she's been acting, 'cause otherwise, she wouldn't deserve a pet as wonderful and great as tank.

It depends on what you are looking for in a pet. Wanting one that flies makes perfect sense for a flyer.

I wish she had taken the falcon. Tank winning was just too predictable. Besides, he seems to knock himself around a lot in future episodes, and that’s just no fun to watch. I know Rainbow crashes a lot, but it seems wrong with the tortoise.

Twilight making a comment on Rainbow not knowing what pets are for is pretty funny since she got hers as an extra helper.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

This one's mixed. The song is one of the best of the show and there are many entertaining moments, but a lot of the episode is repetitive and boring. And there are a lot of moments that feel like they're trying too hard to be cool, like talking about "radicalness". There's also the fact that Tank being Dash's pet is both incredibly obvious and really contrived. I don't quite think this one's bad, but it's not very good.

Score: 4/10

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

There are quite a few good things here. The first act is pretty entertaining, especially with that song, the second act has some solid jokes, and the third act is kinda exciting.

The issue is with how repetitive the second and third acts are. The different events all have the same structure to them and it gets old. Same goes for the race in Ghastly Gorge. The ending is cute, but there's also a problem with how quickly Rainbow warms up to Tank. It's not set up horribly since saving Rainbow is a very big moment, but I just wish the scene with Tank saving Rainbow went on longer.

Score: 6/10

1 hour ago, bigbertha said:

There are quite a few good things here. The first act is pretty entertaining, especially with that song, the second act has some solid jokes, and the third act is kinda exciting.

Indeed. I also like that they backreference that at the end (when fluttershy asks if they should sing about it again)

1 hour ago, bigbertha said:

The issue is with how repetitive the second and third acts are. The different events all have the same structure to them and it gets old. Same goes for the race in Ghastly Gorge. The ending is cute, but there's also a problem with how quickly Rainbow warms up to Tank. It's not set up horribly since saving Rainbow is a very big moment, but I just wish the scene with Tank saving Rainbow went on longer.

Score: 6/10

I quite like the events - each candidate pet approaches the problem in a different way, and you get to see how the different candidates match up to the list of criteria Dashie SAID she wanted. But in the end, it turns out what she values most wasn't on the list at all, and that is loyalty, literally her element.

Of course that causes trouble later on, when Dashie can't bear to be separated....

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I loved this episode! XD I liked it when RD acted like a total jerk towards the tortoise,  and then her soft side is revealed towards the end. :33 That's what makes her such an interesting character and that is why she's my favorite. :P

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

Decent episode, but I will never forgive Rainbow for choosing that f*cking tortoise.  I hate that Celestia-damned tortoise.  I'm sorry, but I just f*cking hate him.  He's so stupid.  Just because he was the Little Engine That Could doesn't mean she needed to pick him.  She's supposed to have a cool pet that can fly.  She should have chosen the hawk.  I never got over that.

• 7 months later...
On 6/4/2018 at 2:01 AM, Meushell said:

It depends on what you are looking for in a pet. Wanting one that flies makes perfect sense for a flyer.

I noticed that as well. Rainbow Dash lives in a house built on clouds, and she spends most of her waking hours flying. A pet that can fly would legitimately be a much better fit than one that can't, yet she is portrayed as in the wrong for her initial rejection of the tortoise. For what it's worth, quite a few dog owners in real life go jogging with their dogs, and what she wanted out of a pet was basically the airborne equivalent of that.

One would think an animal lover like Fluttershy would know a thing or two about choosing a pet to match one's lifestyle.

Though the episode as a whole wasn't bad, and Tank in his propeller backpack is pretty neat.

• 3 months later...

The animals in Equestria seem to be sentient or at least partially sentient, so I wouldn't really consider them animals to be honest. I feel like RD was extremely egotistical in this episode, sort of insulting those animals which wasn't very nice. While RD seems to 'learn' that several times in episodes, there is no real episode that really hits her hard. I feel like they should have made Tank less obvious, why not RD having both the Hawk and Tank?

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
(edited)

Let's first talk about the turtle tortoise in the room. Yes, Tank winning was far too obvious, but I felt that the episode was built around that. You know that the tortoise is going to win, but how he does it is the question.

I found Rainbow Dash interesting here. On one hand, part of me wanted her to just hurry up and just pick a pet. On the other, I actually really enjoyed her extreme competition. It's so over the top, I can't help but enjoy it. I also love the progression of RD being very critical of Tank, to finally appreciating his will and perseverance. It's simple, but it's a wonderful moment and message.

Of course, "Find A Pet" is an amazing song. Nothing unusual here. :p

Awesome episode overall. :)

Edited by Cash In
Updated thoughts

• 1 month later...

It was a decent episode, though one thing I missed last time was how truly obvious it was that Tank was going to be the pet. I think that however, the competition was funny but it was also a show of her massive ego. Just also proves the animals here are intelligent. My opinions haven't changed since the last time I saw this episode. 

• 2 months later...

So sad S2 has so many great song, because this could've been the best one. The instrumental alone is toptier, and Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash harmonizes really well for some reason.

I like how the different pets tried to gain advantage, only to be ruined by their own hubris (which is how I plan to go out @StrawberryMilk Simp). Only the steadfast and stalwart turtle made it through by being the tank. So everytime I play a Tank in RPG, i'm actually the best player on the team DAVE !

8/10, great Rainbow Dash episode, but that eldritch abomination of all the pets combined still haunts my dreams.