Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does anypony have an explanation for the way time works in Equestria? There is the annual ceremony known as the "Summer Sun Celebration", where Celestia raises the sun, so with this in mind, we can conclude that if the have seasons, they must have years as well. In the first Equestria Girls movie, Sunset Shimmer said that the portal opened every 30 "moons". Knowing that they have regular daytime and nighttime cycles, should we assume that one of these "moons" that Sunset was referring to is the equivalent to one year? It seems plausible at first, but that would make Sunset at least 30 years old, or 30 moons, so she wouldn't be in Canterlot High. However, we do see Fleur Dis Lee attending CHS, so maybe her human counterpart is also a lot younger than her pony self, but the Mane 6's counterparts are all respectively the same age. Maybe Fleur Dis Lee is just in an odd relationship with Fancy Pants.

Perhaps I am viewing this wrong, and one "moon" just symbolizes one full lunar cycle, but if that was the case, Sunset wouldn't have needed to wait so long to steal Twilight's crown, unless of course, she was just waiting for the right time to strike. Here on Earth, the moon is always the moon, no matter what angle it reflects light from, but maybe in Equestria, only a full moon is considered a moon.

There are other examples of moons being mentioned as a unit of time, and maybe a moon is a year, and they just have really short seasons. I'm obviously having trouble putting the pieces of this puzzle together, and any theories and/or suggestions would be dearly appreciated. All thoughts and opinions are welcome and are to be respected, so please don't hold back any thoughts that you feel may be valid. You sharing your ideas is the only way we will figure out this broad question! Thank you everypony for your help!

Hasbro says that the 1st 3 seasons were 1 year.  I've got a thread trying to put them in order, but I haven't posted in it since last June so it is buried.  IMO, it is tight but physically possible.  For instance, the 1st EQ Girls movie has to take place between Magical Mystery Cure (S3 E13) but before Princess Twilight (S4 pilot) because T is an alicorn but still has "the big crowny thing"

As to "How long is a moon?", the usual assumption is "Same length as on Earth".  However, this bumps in to the fact that AJ says the pilot was an Apple Family Reunion (ICR where.  Could be Apple Buck Season).  Granny Smith says every 100 moon for reunions (In Apple Family Reunion) & this would mean 8+ years after the pilot.  If you assume 1 moon = 1 week, the timing is a bit off but closer.  It still begs the question "Why didn't Apple Bloom remember she was at that reunion?"  I go w the idea that Granny & AB were right & AJ misspoke herself.  There were a LOT of Apples in the pilot but it wasn't an official reunion.

Still, there is a bit of confusion over "Exactly how long are a month & a year compared to Earth?" If you go w 13 months of 28 days =364 days & Hearth's Warming is between calendars, that makes 365 days.  If not, you get into the question "Why does Luna make the months different lengths?"