Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How crap are birthdays?

ManaMinori

I like birthdays...

I mean, if it's your birthday, you get to enjoy that day more than most other days! :D

It'll always be the same date, and it's a nice way to keep track on how good you are at staying alive xP

Plus, it gives you a reason to go out with friends and have fun ^^

I like my birthday :) I just hate accepting the fact I'll be 25 next April  :(

Well, you were born a month later than I. I'll be 25 next March  :lol:

Birthdays are okay, but I really despise the question,"How does it feel to be XX years-old?"  Plus, generally, I'm not a huge fan of big parties.  I'd rather just get the immediate family and a friend or two together for cake and pizza.

Food and cakes are the only redeeming factors of my BD, otherwise, I would hate them because of those questions. I'm very reserved and I don't like being asked too many personal questions 

Why don't you like birthdays? You at least should think of it as just another day rather than hating it. I personally like birthdays because it's satisfying to have a higher age number.

The reason I don't like them as much as an average day, it's because of the constant phone calls to wish me HB all the time or make bothersome small talk.

One thing else, some say your birthday is to make your day special, but why it has to be your BD to make a day special anyway? :huh: . I only need some free time, no commitments and cash to make a day special  :please:

Well.... I love birthdays. Everyone's birthday.

I don't really think of birthdays of "hey, let's celebrate the fact that you're older." I think of birthdays as the holiday of you. A celebraation of the fact that you exist and get to be a part of the world. A time to be happy about all the wonderful things about you as a person. To me, that's a great reason to celebrate.

Also, I adore planning parties. Any kind, really, but birthday parties are one of the most fun. Parties are my life. They bring joy to my heart. X3

• 4 years later...

I don't care about birthdays. I don't think I've really celebrated mine in years. I do like being wished a happy birthday, though. It's nice to know that people outside of my family care enough to remember, on the off chance it actually happens. Oh, and presents are fun, though it's mostly in the form of Amazon gift cards in recent years.

• Brohoof 1

I usually don't celebrate them, but I do still enjoy them for the most part. Especially this year, when I finally decided to invite people over for once since it was my 30th. As for acting my age...I don't, probably. Lots of people around my age seem to enjoy talking about finances and the like, and honestly that bores me to death. I enjoy watching kids' shows, reading kids' books, watching Let's Plays on Youtube, and generally doing all kinds of things that have absolutely nothing to do with being a productive adult. I can be one, if I really have to, I just don't really enjoy it.

And how I've changed, well, I mainly just got more confident and physically stronger. I'm still the same insecure nerd I've always been, just better adjusted in general than I used to be, and much more able to let things slide.

Birthdays are cool. I don't see why they shouldn't be?
Even if you are older, you still gain 1+ year of your life to the credits, that you can be proud over :squee:

• Brohoof 1

I used to enjoy my birthdays up until my 16th birthday , that was in November 2017 , days before my father got sick :/ 

After that, for some "odd coincidence" all my birthdays have been trash.With all this virus going on , this might be the third year my BD is trash lol.

(edited)

Almost all holidays have been a non-event for me for several years. Birthdays especially since I turned 18, partially because the exact number stops mattering very quickly after that milestone (I still forget whether I'm 28 or 29 sometimes and have to recalculate >_>).

Mostly that's because there's nothing special to do with any holiday. I'm already doing what I want to do pretty much every day, and there isn't anything I'm putting off because it's expensive or only fun once a year or whatever. All I did this year was take my whole birthday week off, because I had vacation days built up and no reason to spend them on any other week.

I should probably clarify that I don't have any negative feelings about any of this, unlike some other posts. There's nothing annoying or traumatizing or existentially angsty about birthdays for me. It's just another pretty good day in a very long series of pretty good days.

Edited by Ixrec

(edited)

Well no one's going to celebrate it for me, might as well do it myself!!!

So just a story of mine, I was suicidal since I was 10.  I never thought I'd make it past 25, or at least I hoped I wouldn't live past 25.  I'm turning 29 this year.  On my 25th birthday, I figured that since I made it this far, I might as well celebrate in my own way since no one really celebrated my birthday for me.  My mom stopped celebrating birthdays with parties when I turned 13, after that we'd go to a restaurant and have a nice meal but that was it, no parties, no presents, nothing but a nice meal(she usually took us to a fondue place called Melting Pot, I highly recommend going there it's really good!!).  I'm 4 years past my "expiration date" and since no one really celebrates my birthday for me, I might as well do it myself.  I normally just try a new recipe for my birthday.  I've been celebrating my birthday since I was 27, my first year I got cake for myself from a local grocery store but I got sick from all of the frosting on it(even with taking a lot of frosting off of it it was still too sweet for me), the next year I made myself a pie, this year I'm going to try to make Bougatsa!!  I think maybe I should try buying myself some presents or something?  I could just wrap them up too or something lol...  Normally I just buy myself a game or something idk.

I don't want to treat my birthday as just another day anymore, I've come so far these days and I've done so much for myself.  I've improved as a person and I should celebrate my achievements each year.  Sure, I might just be another day older but I've survived and that's the important thing.  I'm too stubborn to give up on myself like that anymore.

Edited by Thuja
forgot to add something

I have very little interest in celebrating my own birthday. It’s nice to have a cake or some small gift, but it seems like much ado about nothing. When it comes to imposing all-out celebrations on others for their birthdays, I’m all for it...assuming I remember said birthday.     

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I love my birthday as well.

I don't have parties, but it is still always fun for me. I wake up to texts from my best friends wishing me a happy birthday, I open presents with my family, and then we usually go to dinner with one friend. 

It's always a blast, and the simplest things can make you so happy. My birthday is actually next month, and I'll be 21.

Unfortunately, the dinner part will be out of the picture this year, but I don’t need ti worry. I love my friends and family, I love what I have.

The simple things always make the best memories.

I love my birthday.

Edited by Emerald Heart

I love birthdays. That's one day out of the year that I truly get a break from some of the things that stress me out.

Growing up, my birthday was the week after the last day of school, which I absolutely loved as I didn't have to go to school on that day. Now, however, my birthday (at least at first) seems like any other day. The only exception is that I get spoiled with a birthday dinner and some money to spend on books/anything I want to spend my birthday money on, with the addition of free desert and coffee.

I enjoy them myself – not quite as much as when I was a kid, but they're nice in any case. :grin: The only downside is getting older, which I imagine will feel worse when I'm actually old. :please:

• Brohoof 2

• 3 years later...

Yes I'm the opposite now. I hated my birthday in my teens because they stopped throwing me a party once I turned 10. Birthdays became depressing and lonely. Now as an adult I love them because I dedicate the entire week to myself. I do something I want everyday for the entire week. 

Yeah, my family just won't let it go. I'm trying hard to get them out of the gift giving for adults. It's exhausting and expensive constantly having to buy gifts for more and more family as everybody has kids. And nobody really needs much so they always want those damn gift cards. That's just trading money. It's just more efficient to use your own money the way you want to.