Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

cwhip9

Well we all know how being an Alicorn works with the princess's, and among many questions that keep popping in my head is twilight. Ok namely the mere idea of being immortal and probably the biggest challenge being immortal has to deal with...sanity.

Think about it your seeing your friends grow old and die a lot so it'll were down on any pony even Luna and Celstia I could imagine. So with death and time being a constant dance with being immortal how do you think an immortal keeps there sanity?

lets bite in shall we?

Well we all know how being an Alicorn works with the princess's, and among many questions that keep popping in my head is twilight. Ok namely the mere idea of being immortal and probably the biggest challenge being immortal has to deal with...sanity.

Think about it your seeing your friends grow old and die a lot so it'll were down on any pony even Luna and Celstia I could imagine. So with death and time being a constant dance with being immortal how do you think an immortal keeps there sanity?

lets bite in shall we?

I think you'd have to first accept you're cursed to live forever watching people come and go and history repeating itself. The sooner you do that, the sooner you'll create a mindset of seeing it as a blessing instead of a curse. Next you'd give yourself an immortal mission: a goal that'll live as long as you do. Whether it's to pass on knowledge so that one day your efforts will make the world a better place (which could take a thousand lifetimes) or if it's to ensure the world you've grown to love stays safe. Basically....have something to hope for and it should be that last thread holding you onto sanity. A purpose.

Like how Celestia simply strives to keep Equestria safe. It seems she also has a goal to pass on her wisdom and knowledge on other ponies who have the potential to become greater than her.

Luna strived to redeem herself atm but before them, I suppose she was striving to not live in her sister's shadow. Whether the hope is for something dark or bright....it's still enough to not make them go completely nuts. Once you lose it, you're corrupted. Example: Luna being exposed to becoming nightmare moon.

Edited by Silver Stream.
  • Brohoof 1

I honestly don't see the issue here.

I've seen tons of family members die: People do that, its what people do. My pets die every 15 years or so: I get a new one. Does that drive me insane knowing my pet's going to die? No, I accept that I will outlive my pet, and people accept that they will outlive friends and family.

Being immortal really shouldn't be as much of a problem as people think IMO.

I honestly don't see the issue here.

I've seen tons of family members die: People do that, its what people do. My pets die every 15 years or so: I get a new one. Does that drive me insane knowing my pet's going to die? No, I accept that I will outlive my pet, and people accept that they will outlive friends and family.

Being immortal really shouldn't be as much of a problem as people think IMO.

I get what you mean, but being immortal surpasses outliving a pet. Unless you everyone you associate yourself with as a pet, losing people over many many many many lifetimes can become unbearable. It's very easy to say it's no big deal because despite you losing a lot of those who you hold near and dear to your heart, you still lose them through one lifetime and soon your life ends as well.

It doesn't take a genius to understand how hard it can be living in general. You gain some, you lose some, people die, people are born, you have great days, and you have bad days. Some have lived through wars, while others live in paradise. History is repeated, things change while other things never seem to change. 

To forever be stuck in the loop of "life" it can drive you insane. But it depends on the individual I suppose. While losing a pet isn't a big deal for you because you can mourn and easily get another one, losing a pet could be a huge deal for another. Again, it depends on the person. 

Going to point out if no one else has yet, Meghan McCarthy said on Twitter that Twilight won't outlive her friends (there's some debate over what exactly that means, though).

Re: Celestia and Luna, though, I had the idea at one point that Celestia doesn't often get close to people (because of this), and Philomena - being a phoenix - is her one constant.

There's also the matter of family to think about, though, not just friends. If you think about Blueblood and Faust's quote explaining his relationship to Celestia (great-great-great-great-great-nephew, descended from their maternal first cousin if I'm understanding the quote right)... That means Celestia's had to see generation after generation of nieces and nephews being born, growing old and dying.

I believe for those that have seen it the current DR Who is a great example as the Las who played Aria Stark (Ishilda or something) has been given the gift or curse of imortality and as the years and centuries have passed she has but forgotten almost everything as time as blurred together, remembering via diaries. I would assume that vampires would also suffer from such a problem. But a Objective a goal to focus on I would assume would help a lot otherwise why bother? If one was immortal you need to put all that time to good use otherwise why do you get such a gift? I could never even begin to consider what pain and loss Celstia and Luna have felt but they must push on for Equestria more than themselves.