Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Street Fighter theoretical question for fun

Steel Accord

So with the trailers for the next installment of one of the best fighting games of all time coming out, I've had Street Fighter on the brain. Anyone who does martial arts in real life knows that weapons feature heavily in many styles, some more than others. While there have been some characters in the franchise that either make use of or are sometimes depicted packing, Vega most notably with his claw but also Eagle (escrima sticks), Fei Long (nunchaku), Viper (taser gloves/jet shoes), Rolento (quarterstaff and grenades), and more; but for the most part the characters eschew weapons.

For the most part I like this creative decision as the fighting styles are just as distinct and stylized, armed or empty handed. Or I can ignore someone going into combat against Vega is NOT going to look like a slasher movie victim because of the comic book-esque nature of the franchise. Just for fun though, what are some weapons you think your favorite Street Fighter characters would use if they decided to go into a fight with some teeth? Be it based in their actual martial art style or just something you think the character would choose to use.

To start:

T. Hawk: Tomohawks. (Hey "TomohawkT. Hawk? Wonder if that was intentional. Yes I know his first name is "Thunder." . . . Which only brings to mind another Native American fighting game character . . .)

Dhalsim: Urumi and shield

Makoto: Katana (not trying to stereotype just that A ) Street Fighter has always used national identity to inform character and B ) she's old school and the heir to an old school.)

Zangief: Hammer and axe combo. (Again, not stereotyping, but Zangief IS a patriot after all.)

Edited by Steel Accord

I think if we turn Street Fighter into a more weapon based fighting game, it would probably look too similar to SNKs Samurai Shodown, which already did this in 1993. So i think Street Fighter should stay the way it is.

With that said, if i should give one of my favorite fighters a weapon, i would probably give Guy a Katana or an Iron Pipe, based on his past appearance in the beat em up final fight.

R.Mika, who will also have her return in V, could have a steel Chair, since wrestlers are known for using steel chairs in a wrestling match.

These are the once that come to my head right now. ;)

Street Fighter isn't a fighting game that can work with weapons. Sure there are a few exceptions like Vega, but for the most part it's always been about different fighters using wacky fighting styles, and the game is built around different fighting styles without weapons in mind. Mortal Kombat was able to get away with using weapons that one time(forgot which game) because that series is more about the excessive violence, and Soul Caliber is a fighting game based on the middle ages/renaissance era or whatever, and was built around the concept of using different styles revolving around the weapons the characters used. You get what I'm saying?

Edited by Megas75

I actually like Street Fighter as being primarily fighting with just feet and fists. There isn't a lot of games like that these days. Nowadays all the kids like games where you have flashy guns and big swords. I would rather they left the last few gems like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat alone in that regard. Sure some do have weapons but it's in the minority and only use them on special occasions which should be left that way.

Street Fighter isn't a fighting game that can work with weapons. Sure there are a few exceptions like Vega, but for the most part it's always been about different fighters using wacky fighting styles, and the game is built around different fighting styles without weapons in mind. Mortal Kombat was able to get away with using weapons that one time(forgot which game) because that series is more about the excessive violence, and Soul Caliber is a fighting game based on the middle ages/renaissance era or whatever, and was built around the concept of using different styles revolving around the weapons the characters used. You get what I'm saying

They used them during the whole PS2 era, with Deadly Alliance, Deception and Armageddon.

Sorry if i needed to be a smartbutt. :P

• Brohoof 1

I think if we turn Street Fighter into a more weapon based fighting game, it would probably look too similar to SNKs Samurai Shodown, which already did this in 1993. So i think Street Fighter should stay the way it is.

I was afraid I would have to repeat myself.

Just for fun

@, @@cider float, @,

Do I honestly need to edit the title so that it seems like I'm not suggesting it but just asking a theoretical question?! 

I was afraid I would have to repeat myself.

@, @@cider float, @,

Do I honestly need to edit the title so that it seems like I'm not suggesting it but just asking a theoretical question?! 

I gave you an answer and it was also just for fun.

I just said that it was done before. :P

The T in T.Hawk means Thunder.

Oh yeah I knew his name, I just thought it was serendipitous that his abbreviated name was also the name of a weapon typically associated with the people of the first nations like himself.

I actually like Street Fighter as being primarily fighting with just feet and fists. There isn't a lot of games like that these days. Nowadays all the kids like games where you have flashy guns and big swords. I would rather they left the last few gems like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat alone in that regard. Sure some do have weapons but it's in the minority and only use them on special occasions which should be left that way.

Again, I also like that, this was just a theoretical question from an actual martial artist who also likes games that feature them prominently. I was simply musing that, if characters besides Vega and company were to be armed, what would they prefer to use as unique to their training or personality?

You get what I'm saying?

See above. I'm the idiot for wording the title wrong.

Do you have an answer to what I'm actually posing as a question to fans of the franchise? 

Fei Long - anything Bruce Lee uses

He already is often depicted with nunchaku which Bruce was famous for using in his movies, but he also sometimes used a staff and one time he used little wooden stakes to disarm gunmen in Way of the Dragon.

Chun Li - Sword

. . . . Yes? What kind of sword. You might as well have said "weapon" for how much that narrows it down. 

. . . . Yes? What kind of sword. You might as well have said "weapon" for how much that narrows it down. 

I don't know if they have a proper name, but those ones you often see in kung-fu movies or in Chinese stuff?

I don't know if they have a proper name, but those ones you often see in kung-fu movies or in Chinese stuff?

That still doesn't exactly narrow it down as different systems of Kung Fu include different kinds of swords. And yes, they DO have proper names. Thousands of years of history with them, you know?

Dao

chinese_dao_sword.jpg

Jian

sh2429.jpg

Edited by Steel Accord

• 2 weeks later...
I made a thread like this earlier but unfortunately people seemed to focus more on the title and either skimmed or didn't even read the actual post. So here's my re-try with a more exacting title.

Edited by Steel Accord

I think Cody should totally use a crowbar or pipe to go along with his Axel from Streets of Rage look. :lol:

What about Guy? He's from Final Fight too, though I could see him going with a sword

• Brohoof 1

Is Cody from Final Fight? I didn't know. I don't really care for Street Fighter or know much about it but Cody is one of my favorites to play in Street Fighter IV. <.< >.>

Cody and Guy both originated from Final Fight. In that, you could pick up pipes, swords, or knives as weapons in addition to the character's moves.

I could see Guile using a carbine, because of his military background.  But if you meant a non-firearm, then I could see him using a hunting knife. :sneer:

Well a better option might be a military issued knife rather than one used for hunting.

• Brohoof 1

Well a better option might be a military issued knife rather than one used for hunting.

Ah, I see. Thanks!

I have played Resident Evil not too long ago, and I am still playing it. One of Chris' weapons was a hunting knife, and that was what I had in mind when I wrote that. Its description says that Chris used it since its Air Force days, so my mind made the connection between him and Guile :P

Anyways, a military knife does make more sense :)

• Brohoof 1

Ah, I see. Thanks!

I have played Resident Evil not too long ago, and I am still playing it. One of Chris' weapons was a hunting knife, and that was what I had in mind when I wrote that. Its description says that Chris used it since its Air Force days, so my mind made the connection between him and Guile :P

Anyways, a military knife does make more sense :)

Either that or an e-tool or maybe even a tomohawk if T. Hawk wasn't already using one since both weapons are used by the army. (Actually I don't think we ever learn what branch or division Guile even serves in. Is he army, marines, infantry, special forces?)

sig-4234391.Glock_Feldspaten.jpg

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

While this forum does allow similar topics, this was a complete duplicate topic. As the more recent one had a more complete title, the older topic was merged into the new one.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...