Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival: A complete disaster?

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

So the new Animal Crossing spin off has been released, Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival and it has released to harsh critical and user reviews. The whole game centers around using Animal Crossing Amiibo figures to play a sort of board game that screams bare min mum and it just isn't fun. Having played it, I can safely say that this criticism is well deserved as it takes such a wonderful IP like Animal Crossing and destroys all that was fun about those games to begin with. The only good thing about the game is that it has the presentation down like a science. It looks very much like Animal Crossing. However, the whole purpose of this game is to sell Amiibos and if I recall, this is the first game to require these figures to play the game. At the very least, the figures themselves look very nice and are neat to get if you are an AC fan, but the game, I suggest staying away from it. 

post-8308-0-67417900-1448402287_thumb.png

What are your thoughts on this game?

• Brohoof 1

tbh this year has told me Nintendo has given up on Wii U. So they're padding for 3DS and Wii U until the NX launches.

I really, REALLY wish I could disagree with you, but what you say is pretty much the case. Makes me regret buying a Wii U to be honest. Nintendo seem keen on the NX already and the Wii U will be abandoned like the Wii before it. Which is a shame. Amiibo Festival shows that Nintendo could very well get extremely greedy with the entire concept. 

• Brohoof 1

I really, REALLY wish I could disagree with you, but what you say is pretty much the case. Makes me regret buying a Wii U to be honest. Nintendo seem keen on the NX already and the Wii U will be abandoned like the Wii before it. Which is a shame. Amiibo Festival shows that Nintendo could very well get extremely greedy with the entire concept. 

Notice that outside of delayed games none of the 3ds and wii u games coming out next year from them are made by internal teams.

It's pretty trash and seems pretty dull and uninteresting. If you're going to make a game completely based around amiibos, at least make it good (and it doesn't seem like a very good idea in the first place tbh). I'd only buy it for the Isabelle amiibo but you can get those separately on ebay for like $20 so...unless you're really into the game I certainly wouldn't recommend buying it (and even then the game itself (excluding the amiibos) is pretty overpriced and anything more than $20 seems outrageous with how limited it is)).

And really I'd rather have an actual Animal Crossing game on the Wii U. There's other games on the Wii U worth playing way more than that and the fact that the also newly released Mario Tennis Ultra Smash is getting panned pretty hard doesn't really seem like a very good holiday season this year, at least Xenoblade is looking pretty decent.

• Brohoof 3

I thought the newest Mario Party required amiibos? Could be wrong, but I thought I'd seen that, in fact I'm pretty sure it contributed to my decision not to buy the game.

If this game is so bad though, then I'm very glad I decided against buying it for my partner as a birthday present. Looks like I'll just have to cross my fingers and hope for a new Animal Crossing in the near future that actually sticks to the game style of the series (or give in and buy the wii game to replace my copy that was thrown out while I wasn't looking :( )

• Brohoof 2

It's pretty trash and seems pretty dull and uninteresting. If you're going to make a game completely based around amiibos, at least make it good (and it doesn't seem like a very good idea in the first place tbh). I'd only buy it for the Isabelle amiibo but you can get those separately on ebay for like $20 so...unless you're really into the game I certainly wouldn't recommend buying it (and even then the game itself (excluding the amiibos) is pretty overpriced and anything more than $20 seems outrageous with how limited it is)).

And really I'd rather have an actual Animal Crossing game on the Wii U. There's other games on the Wii U worth playing way more than that and the fact that the also newly released Mario Tennis Ultra Smash is getting panned pretty hard doesn't really seem like a very good holiday season this year, at least Xenoblade is looking pretty decent.

Tbh I'd bet there was a proper AC game in development for Wii U but got moved to NX.

• Brohoof 1

These are really, really sad news. I fell in love with New Leaf and was expecting an Animal Crossing game for the Wii U would be awesome but this... this just finally killed it. My desire to keep my Wii U is gone :(¡

You know, I was hoping Nintendo had the perfect plan to make Wii U awesome but yeah, it seems they have failed. What has been keeping me from selling mine is the next Zelda, but rumors say the the NX is coming next year, and it is a fact that the next Zelda is coming in 2016 too. Maybe Nintendo will release this Zelda game on both consoles?

Pikmin 3 was beautiful, Mario Kart 8 is my favorite, SSB4 is wonderful too! But let's be honest... There's just a small group of good Wii U games. I hope the best for the NX, I truly hope it is good, but I probably won't buy that one on year one :( Can't wait for a new Animal Crossing for the 3DS though!

Tbh I'd bet there was a proper AC game in development for Wii U but got moved to NX.

Think this is the real reason Zelda got delayed as well? :)

I think everyone on the internet called this one. I remember the trailer of this on Nintendo's YouTube getting thumb down nuked the moment the game was announced.

I'm pretty sad about it to be honest though, animal crossing is a fun innocent little franchise. If they had played their cards right, they could have distributed so many amiibo's too. Just think of how many villagers there are, not even just including the random ones.

Unsurprising, Nintendo themselves admitted that they only made this just so they could make Animal Crossing Amiibo

http://www.destructoid.com/nintendo-new-animal-crossing-games-were-made-because-we-just-wanted-amiibo--295722.phtml

The game's biggest failings seems to stem from the complete lack of anything, and the article above only seems to prove it

Edited by Megas75

Oh, that's a real shame... I just bought a whole bunch of Animal Crossing amiibos yesterday, but to hear that Amiibo Festival is the worst game of the franchise so far is really unfortunate. Then again the reason I bought these amiibos in the first place was only for my amiibo collection. That, and they look cute. lol

I believe that this sort of stuff has potential to be fantastic. Not just the Animal Crossing franchise, but also Nintendo as a whole. There are many games on the Wii U that I've enjoyed playing and would consider some of them my favourite games of all time. But since Nintendo said they've given up on the Wii U, as well as how they're producing stuff like Amiibo Fesitval lately, I really am concerned with the new direction they're taking.

Edited by Odyssey

The game simply doesn't look intriguing at all. It isn't on my radar. I guess, I don't even understand how anyone ever expected much out of it.

Don't sell Nintendo too short, though. Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer was actually a very well-made spin-off title for the series. I really enjoyed it.

Edited by Envy

I admit that this game is a complete failure and just a cheap cash in for Nintendo to sell their amiibo stuff (which i never got the hype of.)

But i wouldn't go so far as to say that Nintendo completly gave up. A new Xenoblade and Star Fox are on the horizon and they are worth to keep the Wii U in my eyes. :P

• Brohoof 1

The game simply doesn't look intriguing at all. It isn't on my radar. I guess, I don't even understand how anyone ever expected much out of it.

Don't sell Nintendo too short, though. Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer was actually a very well-made spin-off title for the series. I really enjoyed it.

I have yet to play that one actually. I need to as I heard it was pretty decent. 

DLC should be an alternative for people without Amiibos.

Having the other Amiibos for this game actually doesn't make a difference anyways. All it does is allow you to play as other characters which really doesn't do anything expect slightly change some scenarios a bit, but once you see those once, you have seen them all. The game itself comes with two figures, but those are the only reason to even buy the game as the figures are great. 

Seems like this and mario Tennis have tanked in sales too. Hope this teaches them that lazy spinoffs don't make up for big game delays. But everyone should've figured by now that they've given up on Wii U. they're coasting until NX launch, regardless of what NX is.

Seems like this and mario Tennis have tanked in sales too. Hope this teaches them that lazy spinoffs don't make up for big game delays. But everyone should've figured by now that they've given up on Wii U. they're coasting until NX launch, regardless of what NX is.

Nintendo: *Seemingly gives up on the Wii U.* *Recently releases a masterpiece like Super Mario Maker.*

Nintendo: *Seemingly gives up on the Wii U.* *Recently releases a masterpiece like Super Mario Maker.*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2xDJPc-yaM

Because that was already in development for a while. Announcing NX in march and the games announced at E3 show that the main teams have moved onto NX. Anyone thinking that Nintendo is riding the Wii U train until like the end of 2018 is frankly delusional.

Because that was already in development for a while. Announcing NX in march and the games announced at E3 show that the main teams have moved onto NX. Anyone thinking that Nintendo is riding the Wii U train until like the end of 2018 is frankly delusional.

And now they are releasing a new Xenoblade and Star Fox. Tell me why i should sell my Wii U again? Because i really wanna buy those games.

• Brohoof 1

And now they are releasing a new Xenoblade and Star Fox. Tell me why i should sell my Wii U again? Because i really wanna buy those games.

no one said you should sell it?

I'm just saying g don't expect another 2-3 years of active support for it. 2016 is likely the last year that Nintendo releases games for Wii U and 3DS. No one said you should sell it.

Edited by Bright Honor

no one said you should sell it?

I'm just saying g don't expect another 2-3 years of active support for it. 2016 is likely the last year that Nintendo releases games for Wii U and 3DS. No one said you should sell it.

But you make it sound like nothing interesting comes out anymore, eventhough Star Fox Zero, Xenoblade Chronicles X and Pokken are on the horizon, which dosen't sound like "not caring."

Choice of words is the name of the game.

But you make it sound like nothing interesting comes out anymore, eventhough Star Fox Zero, Xenoblade Chronicles X and Pokken are on the horizon, which dosen't sound like "not caring."

Choice of words is the name of the game.

Whatever floats your boat, bud. All I know is I'm done just giving Nintendo my money. NX is gonna have to earn my pennies.