Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Lauren Faust no longer directs Medusa

Mesme Rize

If Lauren is the kind of person that wishes to have 100% creative control over her product, she may consider going indie as others have suggested. While I can mostly blame Sony for being crap for why she left considering Sony's track record, at some point she either has to accept compromises to her vision or just decide to go indie where she has little issues with creative control normally.

Edited by Nuke87654
  • Brohoof 2

Indie is the best way for her to go. It would give her the chance to at least do something with Milky Way & The Galaxy Girls.

Edited by Singe
  • Brohoof 1

Well, judging from her track record of leaving many shows lately, I say it's possible she's quite difficult to work with. But it's might not be all her fault, as big corporations are rarely flexible with control over their stuff. But then again, I'm more inclined to think Faust needs to learn how to work with those corporations in the future or go indie 

• Brohoof 1

This is rather dissapointing, I hope that whoever her replacement is does something good with it. As others have pointed out Sony is run by a bunch of pencil pushers who don't understand the creative process, but it seems like nearly everything Faust gets involved in ends with her leaving due to "creative differences" which tells me that Faust is likely very adamant about her vision and likely fairly opinionated and perhaps a tad stubborn. I think it is time for her to go indie, with how many fans and connections she has she can easily set up a Patreon or Gofundme or something and raise some money for an independent animation company.

• Brohoof 1

Did Faust actually say she left MLP for creative reasons? As I understand it, she left because her contract was up. This was because she was only signed for two seasons because Hasbro initially only wanted 65 episodes of the show. (M.A. Larson has said repeatedly they thought the season 3 finale was going to be the last episode.) It was only after she left that the Hasbro board discovered there was such a thing as bronies. By then Faust was working elsewhere, though.

Well there goes one of the only few films from Sony Pictures Animation that I was at least mildly interested in.

With this gone and Gennedy Tartakovsky's Popeye movie gone the only movie that I actually somewhat care about is his Can You Imagine movie where he is the director and the writer.  But who knows when that will be released and whether or not it will get canceled as well.

Did Faust actually say she left MLP for creative reasons? As I understand it, she left because her contract was up. This was because she was only signed for two seasons because Hasbro initially only wanted 65 episodes of the show.

Then that explanation doesn't make sense because the 65 episode mark wasn't until season 3, which would be long after he contract ended. She has stated to people in the past that she had creative differences with Hasbro, which to be honest with you... Creative differences is just a fancy way of saying "I didn't like what they were doing". Which it's a job, so that's natural to happen, but you can't quit every job just because you are holding out for that one perfect job that lets you do everything you want and not one thing you don't want.

I could care less about Faust going indie to be honest with you, because I probably won't watch her content. She did a decent job with MLP, but MLP isn't "amazing" to me. So I'm not going to line up for more content with her because the episodes that Faust actually DID direct weren't really the best episodes in the world, and not every character she churns out is amazing either. Them's Fighting Herds gave me a pretty good example of how Faust only knows a few character archtypes:

Arizona - Farm girl who relies on brute strength and honor.

Applejack - Farm girl who relies on brute strength and honor.

Paprika - Always happy, peppy smile monster.

Pinkie - Always happy, peppy smile monster.

Pom - Shy girl who is often put into situations that require her to be braver than she is. Also animal lover.

Fluttershy - Shy girl who is often put into situations that require her to be braver than she is. Also animal lover.

Oleander - A diligent mage that is intelligent and often thinks outside the box.

Twilight - A diligent mage that is intelligent and often thinks outside the box.

Velvet and Tianhuo are slightly more original, but even they share a lot of similarities with Rarity and Rainbow.

Velvet - Elegant and high society.

Rarity - Elegant and high society.

Tianhuo - Pride driven.

Rainbow - Pride driven.

These are the same characters we got with MLP wrapped in different wrappers, and what's more annoying: no male characters? I get that Faust is a feminist and all, but being completely against any representation of male characters is not equality or showing young girls how to be empowered.

Them's Fighting Herds gave me a pretty good example of how Faust only knows a few character archtypes.

I've always thought that might be deliberate.

They wanted to use the MLP characters, but couldn't. So they remade the MLP characters in different forms.

I've always thought that might be deliberate.

They wanted to use the MLP characters, but couldn't. So they remade the MLP characters in different forms.

Which kind of comes off as either cheesy or uncreative.

Which kind of comes off as either cheesy or uncreative.

Uncreative maybe, but what do you mean by "cheesy"?

To be honest it might be a selling point to bronies.

They wanted the MLP characters as well. They won't get them, but maybe the idea is that if the new characters are close enough, bronies will see the similarities, feel an attachment, and still give the game a shot.

Uncreative maybe, but what do you mean by "cheesy"? To be honest it might be a selling point to bronies.

That's what I mean by "cheesy". It kind of comes off as a loophole to get around the C&D and like  saying that bronies wouldn't have been interested in more original characters. Like it's the "safe" strategy rather than creating characters so interesting and compelling it'll attract them regardless of them not being like MLP.

They wanted the MLP characters as well. They won't get them, but maybe the idea is that if the new characters are close enough, bronies will see the similarities, feel an attachment, and still give the game a shot.

Yeah and that comes off as playing it too safe. 

That's what I mean by "cheesy". It kind of comes off as a loophole to get around the C&D and like  saying that bronies wouldn't have been interested in more original characters. Like it's the "safe" strategy rather than creating characters so interesting and compelling it'll attract them regardless of them not being like MLP.

Yeah and that comes off as playing it too safe.

Eh, I could take it or leave it.

Yeah the characters are really similar, but the lore is definitely refreshing.

I wonder what the Goat character is going to be like?

She's a really creative thinker, and I feel like she probably is difficult to work with in the others' eyes. 

Maybe she's the type where she wants something to go this way because she knows it'll be good, and gets upset when things don't go her way?

I think Faust might want to look at working with the people who do Cartoon Hangover or maybe working in video games.

I agree with this, by the way. I think that would produce some really good ideas.

I could care less about Faust going indie to be honest with you, because I probably won't watch her content. She did a decent job with MLP, but MLP isn't "amazing" to me. So I'm not going to line up for more content with her because the episodes that Faust actually DID direct weren't really the best episodes in the world, and not every character she churns out is amazing either. Them's Fighting Herds gave me a pretty good example of how Faust only knows a few character archtypes:

Arizona - Farm girl who relies on brute strength and honor.

Applejack - Farm girl who relies on brute strength and honor.

Paprika - Always happy, peppy smile monster.

Pinkie - Always happy, peppy smile monster.

Pom - Shy girl who is often put into situations that require her to be braver than she is. Also animal lover.

Fluttershy - Shy girl who is often put into situations that require her to be braver than she is. Also animal lover.

Oleander - A diligent mage that is intelligent and often thinks outside the box.

Twilight - A diligent mage that is intelligent and often thinks outside the box.

Velvet and Tianhuo are slightly more original, but even they share a lot of similarities with Rarity and Rainbow.

Velvet - Elegant and high society.

Rarity - Elegant and high society.

Tianhuo - Pride driven.

Rainbow - Pride driven.

I'm pretty sure the similarities between the "new" Them's Fightin' Herds characters and the Mane 6 was entirely deliberate, given the origins of the game.

In any case, after two years the groundwork would have been laid up until the third (and supposedly final) season, so there was no reason to keep her beyond that.

Well, after this being the third time she's left a major project over creative differences, it's starting to look like she really is hard to work with-since this seems to be becoming a trend (Sony's track record isn't much better, but still it makes me think).

It also doesn't give me much faith in 'Them's Fightin' Herds', since it occurs to me that drama could be started and kill the project for good this time if that is the case and there are more creative differences between her and the development team or they may compromise their own artistic vision to placate her and try to avoid any of said drama.

I understand 'creative integrity', but as mentioned earlier in this thread-sometimes you have to learn to compromise if you want to keep yourself employed-as much as it may irritate you to do so.

With all of that said, I think I want to see this movie again-since I'm very interested in Greek mythology, but I more or less forgot about this film with all of these other movies being hyped up.

It also doesn't give me much faith in 'Them's Fightin' Herds', since it occurs to me that drama could be started and kill the project for good this time if that is the case and there are more creative differences between her and the development team or they may compromise their own artistic vision to placate her and try to avoid any of said drama.

I don't think there's much to worry about with "Them's Fightin' Herds", last I remember, all she's doing is character designs and character backgrounds. Everything else is on Mane6

• 2 weeks later...