Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is the weirdest food you have eaten

Sporemane

Of course, weird is relative, but relative to the culture I grew up in... probably the weirdest would be octopus. When I got so deep into anime/manga that I taught myself Japanese, I made a point of trying a handful of Japanese foods at least once, and the okonomiyaki place I tried happened to include octopus in theirs. Didn't have a strong opinion on the taste either way.

Also, is it just me, or are half the posts in this thread about octopus? Maybe that one shouldn't count as weird any more :huh:

When we lived in the Philippines I tried 3 things at a neighborhood bbq that pretty much convinced me to never try anything unusual ever again.

I was maybe 7 and they had the usual bbq meats (a really big boar roasting on a spit that smelled insane) but also several trays of different kebabs.

So I'm hungry af and the boar is going to take a while longer so I try these kebabs, first one was ok a little weird but nothing too extreme.

Second one was stringy and made me gag right off, I asked right off what it was, that was cat meat the first was dog. So then I started blasting.

After throwing up several years worth of food, I was going to leave screw this weirdness, but they talked me out of it and said try this balut, it's an egg you like eggs.

Hmm ok I'll try balut... hands it to me and the smell knocks me down, I throw it like a grenade and run screaming home. No ma'am I am never trying weird stuff ever again!

On 11/26/2015 at 1:25 AM, Samurai Equine said:

Peanut Butter, Jelly, Ham, and Cheese sandwich. That's right, all 4 at once between the same two pieces of bread. Nothing to separate any of those ingredients.

Not gonna lie, I'm slightly intrigued?  Wouldn't have ham though, don't really like the texture, maybe with turkey or chicken or something? :huh:

8 hours ago, Thuja said:

Not gonna lie, I'm slightly intrigued?  Wouldn't have ham though, don't really like the texture, maybe with turkey or chicken or something? :huh:

Sure. Replace the ham with whatever deli meat you prefer. It's the same effect either way. :) 
Not sure if this is accurate since I'm an American hearing this second-hand, but I've heard that in some places in the world, they do put a layer of jam in a regular meat and cheese sandwich. So maybe what I ate wasn't too far off; they just don't normally include peanut butter.

• Brohoof 1

13 hours ago, Samurai Equine said:

Sure. Replace the ham with whatever deli meat you prefer. It's the same effect either way. :) 
Not sure if this is accurate since I'm an American hearing this second-hand, but I've heard that in some places in the world, they do put a layer of jam in a regular meat and cheese sandwich. So maybe what I ate wasn't too far off; they just don't normally include peanut butter.

That's interesting, never heard of using jam in a sandwich normally!! :o

• Brohoof 1

• 11 months later...
(edited)

I've eaten escargot,frog legs, octopus, squid, toasted crickets, tripe, czernina (duck blood soup) and some really weird Polish dishes I can't even pronounce or spell. It's all 'normal' to someone somewhere, except maybe the crickets. That's just for 'fun.' 

Edited by Dreambiscuit
  • Brohoof 1