Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Friendship Games Could of been better

Buck Testa

I liked the final cut of friendship games, but the more I run into the deleted scenes of this movie the more I feel like a better movie was supposed to be there 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EPC2uDESqk

In these deleted scenes and the original version of Twilight's song there was more character interaction, more development, and an Entire subplot that was entirely annexed from the final cut that really would of Developed Sunset even more than she already has been.

I mean that duet alone made one of my least favorite songs from that movie have so much more impact.

Part of me wants one some fan group to animate these and make what the movie was supposed to be, but that would probably be C&D'd to oblivion.

If the movie had these scenes, it would of definitely been better, I'm at least sure on that.

What are your thoughts on these deleted scenes?  

My thoughts on the deleted scenes are this: I'm glad they didn't make the cut. Notice, in both videos, it's centered around Sunset struggling to choose whether to return home or stay in the human world. That conflict would have been too much. The movie itself had enough problems with Sunset struggling to understand/control the magic and Twilight causing things to get worse PLUS the rivalry, Twilight being blackmailed, and other side conflicts. This sort of Conflict needs to be acknowledged in another movie.

Though I think the scenes were still brilliant. I think the only reason why it was released to us is because the writers wants to put the "Where should Sunset end up" war at rest. I am one of those who support Sunset staying where she is but I also want to see her visit Equestria a few times as well (her pony version is adorbs). 

I agree the movie could have been better, but these scenes would not have been the key to make it better....but it would have made things even more cluttered. 

They probably cut those scenes so they could move them to Legend of Everfree where they will actually bare fruit and be relevent. They deserve more than just being isolated within a movie that is not concerned with them.

Anyway, besides the cut scenes, I think, like the first movie, Friendship Games could have benefited tremendously from an extra 10-20 minutes. Primerily so the Shadowbolts could have more characterization, poor Lemon Zest only had two lines and those were on the bus. They also should have explicity stated what caused Twilight to turn evil, though I assume it was because the magic merged with the negative feelings she was constantly experiencing.(Fear, Alienation, Loneliness, Sadness, Anxiety, Stress).

I was expecting some malevolent entity to be forming within Twilight's magic eating device, i feel that would have been a better option than just having Twilight go evil for no explained reason, then we could have had a "purified" form of Midnight Sparkle who teams up with Daydream Shimmer to kill/banish it.

• Brohoof 1

Primerily so the Shadowbolts could have more characterization, poor Lemon Zest only had two lines and those were on the bus

Could be worse, could've been like Sunny Flare, who I keep forgetting about :P

While I agree they could've improved on a lot of areas, I don't think it was the deleted scenes. I think they could've saved the homesick Sunset subplot for another movie. I agree with @@Evil_Emperor in that they should've given some better focus on the Shadowbolts given how heavily they were advertised(they were the things I was looking forward the most  >_> ), and personally they should have kept Human Twilight in Crystal Prep and have less screentime for crabby old principal

FG is my favorite of the EQG trilogy, but the things above could've helped it personally

Edited by Megas75

Sunset Shimmer singing about the weight to return home or stay sounds more like a music video short.

Friendship Games fumbled on the rival Shadowbolt characters who should have had their own shorts to introduce them prior to the movie.

Edited by Singe

I think we can live without Sunny's homesickness in this movie for now, but one big aspect that I didn't liked about the movie are the Shadowbolts. They had way too little spotlight and characterization shown in comparison of how heavily advertised they were 

• Brohoof 1

I agree whole heartedly! I was sad when I saw the entire little subplot with Sunset that was cut from the film. It feels like they basically pushed her aside to make more room for Twilight's character which sucks because I kind of felt Twilight was bland and boring while Sunset has always had room to develop. But Tara Strong is the "celebrity" voice talent so they always seem to make excuses to give her more of the spotlight sadly.

That and the duet would have been cool. It'd be cool if it popped up in a soundtrack or something because to be honest with you... The music in that movie was weak without that song.

This subplot could have been great!

Especially seeing how the duet version of what more is out there being better than the original.

But I guess the writers wanted to save it for Legends of the Everfree.