Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do the ponies eat meat?

cider float

Hi ho, hi ho, and once more, here we go. Various mutations of this idea keep coming up, like the continual outbreaks of some non-fatal but annoying disease.  >_>

No, the ponies are vegetarian. Any ham sandwich or codfish oil references are due to the fact that this is a cartoon and that sometimes, real world things creep into the dialogue and/or animation via the dialogue writers and/or animators, who are omivorous humans. You're reading too much into it. Stop.

And if I seem overly harsh, blame the dozens of members who have brought this sort of thing up before you.

• Brohoof 4

ponies don't eat meat, twilight does in equestria girls though

Nah, the burgers Twilight and Fluttershy take in the cafeteria scene actually look greenish and a little different from the other nearby burgers; I'm thinking they picked up veggie burgers.

I think that was just Discord being Discord. Random, crazy and all around messing with reality. Not once have we seen the ponies eat meat. Seems they have plenty of alternatives, like veggie burgers. 

Hayburgers, actually - Remember?

Hayburgers, actually - Remember?

Eeeeeeeeh close enough. XD Hay is not entirely viable for humans since we cannot exactly digest it but it is for the ponies. :3 Veggiehay. Surprisingly enough I did not remember about it being called Hayburgers. Weird of me.

ponies don't eat meat, twilight does in equestria girls though

Nah, the burgers Twilight and Fluttershy take in the cafeteria scene actually look greenish and a little different from the other nearby burgers; I'm thinking they picked up veggie burgers.

A visual to confirm the different burger types:

7t7SCdS.png

• Brohoof 5

Nope because if the did eat meat, then they would not have gotten sick when those " Baked Bads " were Made ( as pinkie pie has dubbed them ) as almost all of that was at some level Edible, dirt is Digestible ( it's not fun though ), worms are as well, but they are meat so The ponies got sick because their bodies were having a hard time digesting there "food", and since spike ( an omnivore ) was able to eat it without Geting sick, it points to the worms being the culprits, as the rest of the ingredients were somewhat Digestable.

• Brohoof 2

Daring Do  Unless school cafeterias have changed since I went to school, the mere fact that the alleged meat was greenish doesn't mean it was vegetarian.

Sister Hooves Social, Sweetie cooks eggs for Rarity.  Thus, ponies are NOT 100% vegetarian.   If EQ ponies are like Earth horses, they can't completely digest meat, but it isn't poison to them.  We can't fully digest Mexican food & we still eat it.

Also, AJ has pigs.  It is possible they are used for hunting truffles (expensive mushroom, pigs used to hunt it IRL) & for composting.  It is also possible they are used for lard (The ad department calls it shortening, but it is still lard)

• Brohoof 1

Also, AJ has pigs.  It is possible they are used for hunting truffles

Eeep! *runs and hides* :o (j/k, I knew what truffles were. :) )

since spike ( an omnivore ) was able to eat it without Geting sick, it points to the worms being the culprits, as the rest of the ingredients were somewhat Digestable.

*high fives Spike* Isn't being an omnivore great, Spike? :D

Omnivores are awesome!

It so great when you can eat anything!

Omnivores are awesome!

It's like a culinary dream.

(Sung to... you probably can guess the song. :) )

Yeah, feeling kind of silly this close to the finale... please don't suck, please don't suck, please don't treat Spike like an imbecile, please don't suck...

Eeep! *runs and hides* :o (j/k, I knew what truffles were. :) )

*high fives Spike* Isn't being an omnivore great, Spike? :DOmnivores are awesome!

It so great when you can eat anything!

Omnivores are awesome!

It's like a culinary dream.

(Sung to... you probably can guess the song. :) )

Yeah, feeling kind of silly this close to the finale... please don't suck, please don't suck, please don't treat Spike like an imbecile, please don't suck...

The finale could not be more deceiving if it does suck, the Trailer looks downright Epic.

• Brohoof 1

I think ponies will use animal products but they don't eat meant. We've seen them eating cake and pastries, which have butter, milk and eggs. Maybe some ponies eat meat, but I'm sure most are vegetarian.

• Brohoof 1

Eggs are a source of meat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i_LwevxJYs

Its a matter more of diet than belief I think, still odd considering horses usually shouldn't eat stuff like cakes and sweets but eh.  :huh:

The whole meat eating thing comes down more about the show's targeting of a younger demographic than anything else. It apparently sends a bad message to tell kids that their favorite characters eat sentient cute little animals, but its fine to have them eat the unborn chicks of chickens.

For the record, ponies aren't above killing animals if they need or want to. Kind and compassionate Fluttershy did so with some fish several seasons back.

Feeding_the_ferrets_S1E07.png

• Brohoof 3

For the record, ponies aren't above killing animals if they need or want to. Kind and compassionate Fluttershy did so with some fish several seasons back.

Awesome find! Considering she talks to insects which are lower on the evolutionary scale than fish, I wonder what it felt like for her to murder some poor fish that were just coming or of torpor?

I suppose it's possible, however, that these fish were already dead - frozen and preserved in the ice and she goes around during Winter wrap-up and finds these unfortunate souls and puts them to good use for the other animals?

Edited by Truffles