Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Japanese Culture

Codelyy

I haven't been to Japan before and I haven't studied their culture much either, so I can't really give my opinion on this. From pictures I've seen of Japan though, their buildings look cool!

I have a very complicated love/hate relationship with Japan's culture. On one side, I do love their sense of honor and the rich history they have. Japan is also filled to the brim with personality and individuality. Those are great aspects. On the other side of this...Japan irritates me in other ways. They apparently love their cliches, hence why most anime/manga suffer from terrible tropes over and over again. Japan seems to have a fairly sexist culture as well. Girls are always sexualized in media, always having to wear skirts and being "cute schoolgirls" and that is annoying. They also love to portray other countries with only cliches and stereotypes most of the time. While I do appreciate their sense of honor, they do take that too far in every day life. Families seem to often have immense standards for their children and any failure to meet those standards can make people feel extreme shame, hence the high suicide rate. That kind of pressure on people is over such trivial things yet it is ingrained into Japanese culture.

I absolutely love Japanese culture! It has so many diverse aspects ranging from absurd pop culture to deeply rooted tradition. It makes politeness and etiquette central to so many aspects of life and I have to respect something that can be so traditional yet so fun all at the same time. It’s truly unique and I love it.

(edited)

Japan would be fun to visit, especially the Cat Cafe and Fox Islands. But other places in Japan would be nice to see as well.

Edited by Starry Sky

On 11/27/2015 at 3:46 PM, Guest said:

Another issue is Japanese people actually aren't as respectful as you think. In Japanese society, you are pressured to be successful and the ideal Japanese citizen. Fat people are discriminated far more heavily in Japan, gay marriage is not only illegal but gay unions are not even recognized, and suicide rate is sky high due to the high pressure society people live in. While Japan may be technologically ahead by 5-10 years, they are behind as a society by nearly 40.

This is true yeah. They are also a highly introverted society with every strict customs. They are quite sexist in many ways and their laws are quite strict. 

As a foreigner i think it is very hard to fit in. They also have a very strict idea of what consitutes as Japanese. They don't allow dual citizenship unless you are a child born into it and even then they revoke it unless you choose Japanese and revoke any other citizenship you have (unless you are a citizen of a country which doesn't allow u to revoke it)

I do like a lot of the anime and manga. That stuff isn't just for kids. In fact there are so many genres of manga. For hobbies, about animals, life experiences whatever really. It's pretty cool. There is also a lot of cool traditions and festivals. 

I don't really like tokyo though tbh cuz its so narrow and stuff. And i feel a lack of green space. I prefer other places Nagoya, Kyoto and stuff. And there are places I haven't been yet like okinawa and further south id love to visit one day. But yeah I am half Japanese. I mean there are still places i want to visit in tokyo too like a ton but yeah lol 

The obssesed ones with anime and that are otaku tho yuck.. jk. 

Just knowing walking into any building with shoes still on is an offence, makes me think it is too complicated to learn Japanese culture

• 1 year later...

There are a lot of things about Japanese culture that I'm fond of, like their cuisine and their mannerisms, but there are definitley a couple of things that I don't think I could ever get used to.

I have a strong love for everything Japanese truly, the culture is simply amazing. Perhaps it is because unlike the rest of the world Japan has remained true to itself. They don't seem to be as affected by globalization as rest of the world has I mean honestly having been to most of Europe I feel like the differences between countries are slowly fading away there. Meanwhile you have Japan which seems so much more wild and colorful you see it in everything they do. Their media, their country, their culture and definitely their cars. 

Japan set the standard for technology and cars, pretty much everything the world can do they can do better. Their cars are the best in the world, not only that they look amazing. I have a very JDM inspired Subaru and I love the fact that it is made in Japan. To me that is just the highest standard to me the golden standard is Japan. So what you have is a culture that doesn't seem afraid of just being themselves and yes it appears in a funky way. They have traditions that I'm sure in rest of the world would have disappeared simply as people would feel it is awkward. You can have a heavily modified Skyline GTR sitting on a nice set of custom work wheels and you don't have to worry about it being stolen or anything. You can have a random vending machine that will still look clean and nice even if nobody would be using it.

Though I know the world will never be able to copy what Japan has it really has you wonder well how could the world be more like Japan. I'm definitely visiting Japan and considering to even live there for some time too. There is also the car community being so accepting, reason you see so much variety there is because you go to a meet and everyone just comes to enjoy together what they love.

Edited by Fluttershyfan94