Sign in to follow this  
Tranquil Claw

Do you think the US monetized system is flawed?

Have you ever wondered what would happen if the dollar never existed and a different system of exchange was adopted? Could you imagine the average dollar or credit being replaced by something else entirely? Do you think that the age old system used to this day is still the best possible system one could have come up with? 

To answer questions like these I like to return to the foundation our currency is built on, representation. More specifically, a representation of what you are in possession of. After a while money started branching off and taking on new meanings like promises to fund this to get back more of that. Banks sprung up and so did debt. Money had evolved from something useful to something potentially dangerous. Cautions had to be taken to warn others of this danger and fear finds yet another material thing to inhabit. Money turned from a use to a trade off over the course of time. Representation was the initial goal of money, what it represents though, is what matters.

Say money instead directly represented the accomplishments of an individual. How would it change and for good or bad?

Say money instead directly represented the respect an individual received. How would it change and for good or bad?

These are just some examples that I can think of off the top of my head. What do you think?

Money doesn't represent anything but the most fluid form of material wealth. And it is very important for smooth and quick commerce as it allows for the convient exchange of goods by giving everyone something that can universally used for everything. It's a great idea but it really is not some horrible thing that fear lives in. Humans have engendered that meaning into money through our nature. What it represents has never changed. What it seems to humans has maybe changed.

Edited by alpinefroggy

Badges

I suppose it's just a factor of lost meaning over time. Something I notice very often, is that things get taken for granted as they age, thus making them seem as if they need something new to make them worth keeping around. That explains why human nature is so good at innovation. Anyways, what it represents is the exact same thing as what it means to humans. When what it means to us changes, what it represents changes.

I can agree that my use of "fear" is a bit extreme, but when I said that, I was referring to the occasion where one loses something or is taught to think of using something as dangerous to themselves. I think you kind of dodged my original question by redefining money's purpose. What I was asking for was, are the added innovations to money like banks and credit a benefit or a deficit to it's original use.