S05:E25+26 - The Cutie Re-Mark  

368 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it

• Hated it
    • Didn't like it
    • Meh. It was OK.
    • I liked it
    • That .... was ....AWESOME! <3

This was a great Season Finale,it kinda sums up what's happened in all the other Finales....along with bringing back previous villains. I was rather happy to see Queen Chrissy back....being my fave villain. She's just so deliciously evil.

I also liked how the mane 6 varied in each altered timeline...was pretty cool to see a "darker" side of Equestria, with Rebel Pony Resistances and the like...and how each of the other Mane 6 fared during each alternate future...Dash with battle scars and a mechanical wing? That was kinda bad ass. Tribal Warrior Flutters and Pinkie? Even more badass...These are sides of the Main characters we never get to really see, other than in fan fics. To see it put in an actual episode was a great depiction of alternative character development.

Also these episodes reminds me of Back To The Future...with Biff going back in time to give himself the Almanac, to predict the outcomes of sports games.Then Marty has to go back in time to prevent it and fix the altered timeline.

Though...one issue that I noticed, was why didn't Twi start to disappear at all(or at least her wings/magic)? I mean...if Dash never did her Sonic Rainboom, she would've never of become an Alicorn and she wouldn't of been in the situation she was in with Starlight Glimmer...in fact they never would've met in the first place.

PS: Applejack said my name. :squee: I'm officially canon.

Edited by :Flutterdash:

Pardon my hatred, but I must get this off my chest. I didn't watch it, but I will make my prejudice here and now, because time travel is involved.

Time travel is innately impossible. I can describe exactly why. Imagine you are reading this post and wish you could travel back in time to have never read this post. You spend about a month and discover time travel. You go back in time and stop yourself from reading the post. Now what? You never invented time travel, so the course of events repeat and alter themselves in an infinite loop. The fabric of reality cannot sustain infinity. Every paradox you ever knew ties right back over into this one.

I feel I should patent this, but I know it's already been done. For the sake of words, this is the Time Travel Paradox. You can't do anything if you travel backwards through time. That's right, kids, Futurama had it right. You literally can't go back in time for a reason or else you paradoxically never had a reason to. And so far, the only possible way to go forward in time is cryogenic freezing.

So kids... Don't F*** with Time Travel. You won't like the results.

And if someone wants to challenge the fact that time will repair itself, good luck. The only plausible reparation is going back to before the time travel occurred, so it never happened in the first place. Thus, the cycle ends where it began: nowhere.

Ok, got that off my chest. now for the epilogue. I understand this is fiction. We can do what we want, but there's a fine line between what is fictionally possible and what is absolute Bulls***. Season 6 better be redeemable or they lost another viewer.

As Discord said once, "Arrivederci!"

Loved the finale! Really glad they didn't go and have Starlight go all evil monster on them and have her be destroyed like with Sombra. Kinda interesting how Twilight's taking her on as a personal student. Wonder if this is the writers trying to possibly foreshadow at what Lauren Faust wanted to happen and have Twilight become Celestia's successor.

Also, dunno about anyone else, but anytime Twilight acts cute or nerdy I just wanna give her a hug! Must be her otaku-esque hair or something.  :twi:

Amazing episode.

Only way it could have been better if time had rewritten Twilight and Spike as well. Then Twilight would be reverted to unicorn and her episodical long struggle against a powerful non-alicorn would have made more sense and her redemption through talking would have had even greater weight.

I hope the Mane 6 stay the Mane 6, even if Starlight were to come under Twilight's tutelage. There's really no need to marginalize Rarity further as the only unicorn nor to incorporate new dynamics with the Mane 6 sans Twilight if most of interactions are going to be with Twilight (yes they will).

I liked this episde, but there's one thing that makes me confused since Twilight discovered some power of her. Where the hay is Celestia? Is Twilight going to be a new goddess? Is she more powerful than Celestia? Ok, Celestia lives longer and has more knowledge, but Twilight seems to be more smart and powerful than her. I don't like this idea at all...

The last scene of this episode made me wanna cry... I thought the show was over!

freezeframe with almost all of the characters looking at you

"goodbye"-ish music

all villains returned, sort of

Starlight Glimmer is a friend now and is singing with them

and the cmc got their cutiemark a few episodes ago

Put them all together and it would be the perfect final episode.

But you know what?

IT ISN'T YASHHH

• Brohoof 2

Though...one issue that I noticed, was why didn't Twi start to disappear at all(or at least her wings/magic)? I mean...if Dash never did her Sonic Rainboom, she would've never of become an Alicorn and she wouldn't of been in the situation she was in with Starlight Glimmer...in fact they never would've met in the first place.

Look again when the Rainboom was first stopped. Filly Twilight can be seen failing her exam.

This means that at that moment, two Twilights existed. And I'm sure that whomever filly Twilight grew up to be, she would have been someone to be found (as a unicorn) in every alternate future (except the one where everything is barren). She just never had a reason to "meet" herself.

Is she more powerful than Celestia? Ok, Celestia lives longer and has more knowledge, but Twilight seems to be more smart and powerful than her. I don't like this idea at all...

Where have you been? People have been making "useless celestia" jokes for years because of how much more capable Twilight is. This is not new.

We can do what we want, but there's a fine line between what is fictionally possible and what is absolute Bulls***. Season 6 better be redeemable or they lost another viewer.

1.) We've had 5 whole seasons with plenty of bulls*** scenarios. We even had another time travel episode in season 2.

2.) Pardon me, but they aren't really "losing" a viewer if the viewer in question isn't loyal enough to even watch a freaking episode in the first place.

• Brohoof 1

Hey guys, I know that the show's purpose is to promote the value and strength of friendship, but am I the only person who felt slightly dissatisfied with the Mane Six's accepting forgiveness of Starlight Glimmer's actions?  I mean she set out to destroy them - I don't care what she says, I would never trust her again!

I hope the Mane 6 stay the Mane 6, even if Starlight were to come under Twilight's tutelage. There's really no need to marginalize Rarity further as the only unicorn nor to incorporate new dynamics with the Mane 6 sans Twilight if most of interactions are going to be with Twilight (yes they will).

I don't see how Rarity is or could be marginalized in any way. Besides, I would think that people who had a problem with Twilight becoming an alicorn would be supportive of getting another unicorn in the mix. After all, that would make the group more "equal." *nudges and grins* I'll shut up now.

Loved the finale! Really glad they didn't go and have Starlight go all evil monster on them and have her be destroyed like with Sombra. Kinda interesting how Twilight's taking her on as a personal student. Wonder if this is the writers trying to possibly foreshadow at what Lauren Faust wanted to happen and have Twilight become Celestia's successor.   Also, dunno about anyone else, but anytime Twilight acts cute or nerdy I just wanna give her a hug! Must be her otaku-esque hair or something

Destruction would have been an awful ending. I think I said it before but the idea of redemption has to keep getting hammered in again and again because too many people still seem to have trouble grasping it. I mean, the point is that no matter what happens, you keep reaching out to people - especially those who are hurt and isolated like Starlight wound up being. And I love Twily too. I must say though that she's had some spectacular alternate hairstyles. Punklight Sparkle! :adorkable:

medium.png

View on Derpibooru (Original source unknown at time of posting) 

• Brohoof 2

Point taken... didn't I explain that part. Where was I?  The time travel spell you're describing, which obviously isn't Starlight's illegal version, had a built-in stopper for such an occasion. The second Twilight caused the other one to panic, time would re-order itself and throw Twilight back to the present, so time itself stays in balance.

I agree that they technically never lost a viewer. My mistake of using such meaningless drivel. I will still never watch the last episode of the season, but good riddance to anything past it or including. I forever blame the lazy directors who took over for season 5. The directors of the 4 prior are my preference. We are all subject to our opinions, so I will shut my mouth.

Point taken... didn't I explain that part. Where was I?  The time travel spell you're describing, which obviously isn't Starlight's illegal version, had a built-in stopper for such an occasion. The second Twilight caused the other one to panic, time would re-order itself and throw Twilight back to the present, so time itself stays in balance.

I agree that they technically never lost a viewer. My mistake of using such meaningless drivel. I will still never watch the last episode of the season, but good riddance to anything past it or including. I forever blame the lazy directors who took over for season 5. The directors of the 4 prior are my preference. We are all subject to our opinions, so I will shut my mouth.

somepony really hates time travel.

somepony really hates time travel

I don't hate it, just that it's a large plot hole and a very good reason to appeal to the majority. Why do you think Doctor Who was such a big deal? But, as I just said, it appealed to the populace.

I have no jurisdiction here. I simply wanted to vent. This may not have been the place. The majority rules it's a good episode, so be it. I'll just be stuck in the past like the fanfic I'm writing.

"As a lazy tailor might say: Suit yourself." 

Also, one thing they didn't explain in the finale: who keeps using the map to send everypony on all these missions? It just doesn't seem like it's just the map doing this on it's own. Plus, the fact that it was able to exist in all those alternate timelines. And then there's the pattern of towns those missions lead to. There's something MUCH bigger at work. I'm just shocked as to how this wasn't resolved like last year's arc (the 6 keys). Why have a season-long arc like the map missions and don't reveal the connection between all these towns and the people who needed friendship help?

At first, I thought it was personal stuff need to be mended like with Gilda and Coco (to a degree on the latter). But then there was stuff like Moondancer and Countess RaRa that SHOULD'VE been map missions by that logic but weren't! Plus the other ones that we saw this season like the brainwashed town and the feuding families had no personal connection to any of the Mane 6. So, what's REALLY the connection to ANY of these missions?

Edited by MovieLord101

I feel like the season five finale could have been better. I like Startlight Glimmer as a villain and the idea of the story, but the result was somewhat lacking. Instead of tons of alternate universes, it should have been one big alternate universe with Starlight as the princess of magic and the villains fighting each other for world domination. Startlight's backstory could have been more meaningful, like having her attend the spell test as a filly, and getting upset when Twilight is chosen instead of her. It would have been neat if another group of ponies had found the elements of harmony.

Alright, this was a pretty good espisode and one of the best finales.

But this episode has 2 major problems:

1.The whole episode is a Grandfather Paradox. Let me explain: Since Starlight never changed the future, Twilight could not talk her into changing her mind

2. Starlight's village accepting her back without any doubt, and it was used as a 5 second scene, instead of a episode where she proves her worth to the village

• Brohoof 1

Look at the line of the ponies waiting to get on the train to go and fight against the armies of King Sombra in the "Crystal Empire Invades" world...

Dr. Whooves... and A FILLY! How desperate is the situation that Equestria is having KIDS fight the freaking war!?

NV1BYgN.png

• Brohoof 2

1.The whole episode is a Grandfather Paradox. Let me explain: Since Starlight never changed the future, Twilight could not talk her into changing her mind 2. Starlight's village accepting her back without any doubt, and it was used as a 5 second scene, instead of a episode where she proves her worth to the village

I agree with number 2. That was kind of a lame way to get forgiveness after what she did to them... They could've made an entire episode off of it! As for number 1, it's a kid's show, and time travel such as that is not possible ^_^  In nearly every instance of time travel in fictional shows/movies there's a paradox that doesn't make things work. I've learned just to ignore it and focus on the plot because quite frankly, if we tried to focus on the science of things, stuff just wouldn't be interesting! Haha :P

Why do people keep using "predictable" as a negative for this show?

MLP is a simple thing, folks. Of course the plots are predictable.
This isn't The Wire. This isn't Breaking Bad. This isn't Game Of Thrones.

It's a cartoon about colorful horses having adventures that all age groups can enjoy.
CLASSIC DISNEY MOVIES are HELLA 'predictable', but it doesn't stop people from enjoying the spectacle.
MLP episodes have always been about the journey, NOT the destination.

Sleepover episode with two characters squabbling?
"THEY'LL RUIN THE SLEEPOVER AND THEN LEARN TO GET ALONG."
Twilight wants to help Winter Wrap Up?
"SHE'LL FAIL AT EVERYTHING AND THEN TURN THINGS AROUND WHEN THE OTHERS ACTUALLY NEED HER."
Pinkie's friends are avoiding her?
"THEY'RE THROWING HER A SURPRISE PARTY!"

See? Predictability means nothing when it comes to a show like this.

• Brohoof 1

See? Predictability means nothing when it comes to a show like this.

Indeed.

From the first few minutes (or even moments) of an episode, you know exactly what is going to happen. Where an episode is great is when it takes a path you don't expect on the way to the final outcome.

Eg. Sonic Rainboom: RD being nervous about the competition and mentioning the difficulty of the rainboom in the establishing scene tells you what will happen. She will deal with her nerves and perform a rainboom.

How she overcomes this with the inclusion of the Rarity aspect is the key to making it something other than 'RD goes to a competition and wins'.

• Brohoof 1

Just as an information source, here's a compilation of the causes and effects of each alteration Starlight did on each timeline and how she and/or Twilight were involved.

----------------------------------------------

Alteration: Rainbow Dash is stopped by Starlight Glimmer’s magic right before she performs the Sonic Rainboom causing one of the bullies to win. Rainbow Dash is confused but has no idea what caused her to stop like that.

Consequence: King Sombra and the Crystal Empire are at war with Equestria. Princess Celestia leads the fight, but Luna does not seem to be around.

------------

Alteration: Starlight Glimmer talks with the colts that were bulling Fluttershy, convincing them to stop bulling her. When Twilight shows up, she tries to stop her but fails, Starlight makes a comment on how wonderful the world would be if everypony were equal. The colts and Fluttershy seem to end up in better terms with the colts offering to help Fluttershy in the course and she accepts stating that she could use the practice. Twilight flies and tries to convince Rainbow Dash to race her, but fails, Rainbow Dash notices that Twilight is an Alicorn. Twilight makes comments on how she had seen Rainbow Dash perform a Rainboom in the future when Rainbow Dash comments that performing one is just an old legend.

Consequence: The Changelings take over Equestria, some ponies lead a resistance in the Everfree Forest, led by Zecora.

------------

Alteration: Starlight Glimmer and Twilight fight each other, the fight is so intense that it distracts the colts and fillies in the area, including Rainbow Dash and the bullies who were in the middle of their race. Then Twilight is again transported in time “back to the future” in front of their little audience.

Consequence: Nightmare Moon successfully takes over Equestria and banishes Celestia in the same way she was banished 1000 years before.

------------

Alteration: Starlight Glimmer makes Rainbow Dash trip during the race, without Rainbow Dash being aware of her presence (except being tripped, of course)

Consequence: Tirek destroys Equestria.

------------

Alteration: Twilight accidentally freezes Rainbow Dash in a light purple crystal magic thing right at the time that she was defending Fluttershy from the bullies and challenging them to the race.

Consequence: Discord takes over Equestria, makes Celestia and Luna his personal clowns.

------------

Alteration: Starlight Glimmer uses her magic to help Fluttershy clear the flying obstacle course without any problems, leaving the colts that were to bully her looking in awe. Nopony is aware of Starlight doing it.

Consequence: Flim and Flam industrialize Equestria and tear down the trees.

------------

Alteration: Starlight shoots a beam of magic at Rainbow Dash during the race, causing her to spin off course. Nopony sees Starlight doing it.

Consequence: Everything seems like scorched earth, cause unknown. (Wasteland timeline)

Edited by Persona22

I looooved this episode! It was awesome x 100000! 

How Rainbow Dash looked like when they were fighting King Zombra, I.. I just couldn't stop talking about her to fellow bronies! She always looks super cool! 

Kinda sad tho how everything would have been if the rainboom didn't happen :c

But awesome episode(s)! Can easily watch them again and again and again! ^^ 

• Brohoof 1