S05:E25+26 - The Cutie Re-Mark  

368 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it

• Hated it
    • Didn't like it
    • Meh. It was OK.
    • I liked it
    • That .... was ....AWESOME! <3

A good finale of course. Kinda cliche but in a good way in my opinion. Time travel stuff is typical for everything. But this episode done some of them right. But heck, the friendship problem Starlight Glimmer have to move on and Twilight solve it instantly, that make me joyful to see it.

Overall the episode is great. Even greater because it helped me move on from the horrible stuff in the past. For now at least. But it made me more happy than I was in the past few days.

:)

• Brohoof 1

A friendship breaking apart is a terrible thing, but you can't just change the past like that. It's also important to show that you can move on and make new friendships.

Yeah, but it just doesn't feel fair the way Twilight gets special treatment because her friendships are more important than Starlight's was. And it would have been a great opportunity to add a new dimension to the world. Something that was missing all along but we never realized it.

Yeah, but it just doesn't feel fair the way Twilight gets special treatment because her friendships are more important than Starlight's was. And it would have been a great opportunity to add a new dimension to the world. Something that was missing all along but we never realized it.

It's not special treatment, it's how things always went. Friendships don't come undone in the real world because of time travelers with a vendetta, just like you can't fix friendships by going back to the past. You have to live in the present and go from there. Maybe in season 6 they can reconnect.

• Brohoof 1

So, there it is, the awaited season 5 finale of this great show.

The two-parter was good and avoided flaws, which is SUPAH GREAT :pinkie:

First of all, I loved the alternated Equestrias that were shown during the episode and they were really greatly thinked, my favorite was the one with King Sombra with World War 2 theme , I also loved the time travel theme, they nailed it and the events related to it were accurate.

As for the the flaws that could have been her, it would have been the repetition but near they avoided that with the summaries of some alternate dimensions. And there are others that were avoided, one being that they included the much needed backstory of Starlight Glimmer when it seemed they were continuing whitout sharing it an so on.

One thing that I did not like is Starlight Glimmer redemption, which seemed a little predictable, but I loved the way they introduced her backstory and it is pretty undestanble for her that she was sad in her past, but it was not completely logical.

Also, FLUTTERDASH CONFIRMED! and dat face Twi lel:

large.png

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

TL;DR: Great season finale, with nice themes and worlds backstories/designs, but Starlight Glimmer redemption was mostly predictable but understanble (that was a long tl;dr lol)

Rating: 9.5/10

• Brohoof 1

This was a hell of a lot better than I expected.

1. Everything Twilight did to desperately try and fix everything makes so much sense. She tries to fight Starlight mentally and physically, but SG was so hellbent on revenge and the pain of her past, she'd do everything she can to stop it.
  2. Don't look at the fact that SG lost her only friend as the cause. Look at how she lost him. The second he got his mark, she never saw him again. In other words, if he never got that mark, everything will be completely different. She'd still be home. Sunburst won't go off to Canterlot. They'd still know each other. No cutie mark, no memories of her past.

Like that, her actions, as evil  as they were, feel plausible. Without the pain of individual cutie marks, then no one would have to feel the same pain as she did. No wonder why she concocted the spell of the equality mark.
  3. There are two great morals to the story.

a. You can never change your past. You can only change your future. Starlight can't change what happened with her in the past, and thus she can't inflict the same pain on Twilight. But she can change how she goes about things. Restart viewing cutie marks and friendship altogether in a much more positive light and use it for good.

b. One moment makes a difference. This calls back to a similar moral from Amending Fences: You might see the moment as inconsequential, but to others, it can make a really big impact for better or for worse. Twilight's decision to skip Moondancer's party helped change her for the better, but it changed MD for the worst. For Starlight, it's the same thing. Her one moment back home makes a big impact on her life, but she was so hellbent on revenge that she never stopped to think about how the one moment from Rainbow Dash changed everyone's lives around them. It'd make everyone's lives miserable, even herself.
  4. The way it ended may be a little cheesy, but it's the good kind. Starlight assumes that by changing the way the Mane Six would meet, Starlight won't have to have her village collapse. But she never foresaw how it'd hurt her, either. The only way for her to actually see it is to take Starlight to an apocalyptic future and then use this and how Starlight grew to being the mare she was to try to change her for the better.

What happens here is way more fulfilling than Sunset Shimmer's. Sunset's whole character was reset, and you saw her redeem herself as a completely different character. Starlight never changed her character. Instead, she was convinced, and she willingly accepted Twilight's apprenticeship. As a result, Starlight's addition to the Mane Six (now Mane Seven or Mane Eight, if you count Spike) feels more genuine.

I'll need another viewing to gauge its quality, but right now, I'm loving The Cutie Re-Mark.

• Brohoof 16

This was an amazing episode! Me and my best friend enjoyed watching what was going on in The Cutie Re-Mark. We even called the time Starlight showed Twilight what made her insane.

Now that she's another reformed villain and now tags along with the Mane Six to learn about friendship, I wonder what we'll expect in season 6? We won't know until we find out. ;)

Anypony here predict there's gonna be either a Friends Forever or a Fiendship is Magic issue featuring Starlight Glimmer coming soon?

• Brohoof 3

While I certainly don't think it's better than the S1 finale, it may be superior to S4 and 2's finale as it didn't had to rely on PIS moments in order to carry the episodes story through. the AU verses were interesting, especially the first three with Sombra (love the war setting), Chrysalis (Love seeing Zecora being a leader and fighting a hopeless war against the Changelings), and Nightmare Moon ruling with an Iron fist over the ponies to where all her friends are angry servants to her are interesting enough for fan fic writers to latch onto. Starlight Glimmer was great as a villain and was single handily beating Twilight like a drum throughout the episode. Also with Starlight Glimmer getting the reformation treatment, I'll be curious to see what they have in mind for her.

However, as with any time travel stories, due to not giving enough time and material to all of them, there were many unanswered questions for how those AU presents had happened, especially at the end where they started feeling like rushed filler at the end. Starlight Glimmer's reformation was too fast. Also, the episode seemed to have whitewashed or forgotten some of her villany as it seemed to change her motivation from achieving equality for all ponies to her vision (considering how she had a plan for those captured cutie marks, especially Twilights, likely got foiled however) to where she appeared more nefarious to being a hurt soul who wished to not be hurt again of losing her friends to their cutie mark and destiny.

It's not a bad episode and I certainly enjoyed it to perhaps considering it the second best finale, though that is not certain as I need to reflect more on it, but it's certainly not S1 finales equal in quality.

I'm almost certain that I've witnessed a fanfic writer's wet dream.

I've seen cases of Back to the Future syndrome before, but good lord this was one of the most extreme. So many alternate timelines, all showing what happens after the villains won. Wars, fights for survival, complete desolation. Christ, there's just too many sad emotions just thinking about 'em.

Starlight's backstory doesn't justify anything she's done, but then again, we've seen people who've taken extreme measures to prevent their past from happening again. (Hell, I even know a couple folks who do just that). She just didn't realize what the consequences of her actions were until someone like Twilight took a stand and showed her. It took a lot more than just showing a decimated Equestria to convince her to try another way, but I'm impressed Twlight managed to do her job as the Princess of Friendship and let Starlight have a second chance.

And y'know what, I'm glad to see Twi take such a powerful unicorn under her wing. It hearkens back to when she was Celestia's student, just a little filly with a lot of power just waiting to be released. Now she's got a fully grown unicorn to watch over and make sure that power is used for everyone's benefit. I look forward to seeing what these two will get into next season!

That ending was disappointing. What are they trying to tell her, just get over it? I thought they were going to fix her past so she was never separated from her best friend, and then we'd see how much better the world would be if that friendship hadn't been removed from it.

It was more "You have to live with your past, but you can't let it define who you are" to me. Simply going back in time to change the past doesn't help you learn what went wrong. It's more a foolhardy bargaining tactic that more than likely will make things worse.

This was a fantastic finale, easily the best one they've done. Here's to Season 6 and the movie!

This was a hell of a lot better than I expected.

1. Everything Twilight did to desperately try and fix everything makes so much sense. She tries to fight Starlight mentally and physically, but SG was so hellbent on revenge and the pain of her past, she'd do everything she can to stop it.
  2. Don't look at the fact that SG lost her only friend as the cause. Look at how she lost him. The second he got his mark, she never saw him again. In other words, if he never got that mark, everything will be completely different. She'd still be home. Sunburst won't go off to Canterlot. They'd still know each other. No cutie mark, no memories of her past.

Like that, her actions, as evil  as they were, feel plausible. Without the pain of individual cutie marks, then no one would have to feel the same pain as she did. No wonder why she concocted the spell of the equality mark.

3. There are two great morals to the story.

a. You can never change your past. You can only change your future. Starlight can't change what happened with her in the past, and thus she can't inflict the same pain on Twilight. But she can change how she goes about things. Restart viewing cutie marks and friendship altogether in a much more positive light and use it for good.

b. One moment makes a difference. This calls back to a similar moral from Amending Fences: You might see the moment as inconsequential, but to others, it can make a really big impact for better or for worse. Twilight's decision to skip Moondancer's party helped change her for the better, but it changed MD for the worst. For Starlight, it's the same thing. Her one moment back home makes a big impact on her life, but she was so hellbent on revenge that she never stopped to think about how the one moment from Rainbow Dash changed everyone's lives around them. It'd make everyone's lives miserable, even herself.

4. The way it ended may be a little cheesy, but it's the good kind. Starlight assumes that by changing the way the Mane Six would meet, Starlight won't have to have her village collapse. But she never foresaw how it'd hurt her, either. The only way for her to actually see it is to take Starlight to an apocalyptic future and then use this and how Starlight grew to being the mare she was to try to change her for the better.

What happens here is way more fulfilling than Sunset Shimmer's. Sunset's whole character was reset, and you saw her redeem herself as a completely different character. Starlight never changed her character. Instead, she was convinced, and she willingly accepted Twilight's apprenticeship. As a result, Starlight's addition to the Mane Six (now Mane Seven or Mane Eight, if you count Spike) feels more genuine.

I'll need another viewing to gauge its quality, but right now, I'm loving The Cutie Re-Mark.

Wow, you actually made me reconsider my opinion. At first i thought it was okay. But now i actually see it as a quality Finale.

I think the only thing i groaned a bit, was the war part with King Sombra, because that felt so out of place and didn't felt like anything from MLP.

And i said it from the very beginning. Starlight has more going for her then Sunset. Sunset would just be Twilight 2.0 with a heck of a lot less going for her. With Starlight, i can see growth and she probably still has her flaws to overcome. She could become something like a friendship student of Twilight.

Thank you for this very good review. :)

• Brohoof 1

Question: What happened to the CMC and Discord in the end of the Finale? And what about their cutie marks?

nothing, simple as that. The present has been restored.

Wow, you actually made me reconsider my opinion. At first i thought it was okay. But now i actually see it as a quality Finale.

I think the only thing i groaned a bit, was the war part with King Sombra, because that felt so out of place and didn't felt like anything from MLP.

And i said it from the very beginning. Starlight has more going for her then Sunset. Sunset would just be Twilight 2.0 with a heck of a lot less going for her. With Starlight, i can see growth and she probably still has her flaws to overcome. She could become something like a friendship student of Twilight.

Thank you for this very good review. :)

Twilight better make Starlight her friendship student just like how Princess Celestia raised her. Heck, Starlight might be the newest Mane character.

*sniff* I'm so proud of Twilight Sparkle. She's starting to become more like Princess Celestia...*sniff*

• Brohoof 2

I'm in the minority here. It wasn't a bad episode, it had me at the edge of my seat waiting to see what would happen next. My main issue with the episode is Starlight Glimmer herself. I didn't like her in the opener and after her sorry excuse for a motivation/backstory.. I still don't like here. 

I also thought Nigtmare Moon, Chrysalis, Sombra and Tirek were reduced to mere fanservice and that was something that got on my nerves. 

• Brohoof 1

I had a pretty good feeling Starlight Glimmer would be redeemed. I was originally hoping she'd stay a villain, but now I actually like the idea of Twilight being her mentor. Although I don't know how to feel about the whole Mane 7 idea quite yet. Maybe I need to give it time.

• Brohoof 1

Oh, Josh, you genius you! To literally have the villain of all people save Equestria instead of Twilight and her friends doing so! That was very clever!

Those different universes...damn....! One of the best writing bits in this episode was seeing what would happen if every villian the Mane 6 has faced had won instead. We get a violent war from Sombra, Pony-kind is overthrown by Chrysalis, Celestia is trapped in the moon by Nightmare Moon (no surprise), Tirek destroys everything, Discord causes chaos (obviously), and the Flim Flam Brothers tear down Sweet Apple Acres.

Let's get to Starlight herself, not only was she very powerful, but she was also clever. Her plan was so perfect she had to realize the errors of her own way and stop everything herself. She's the first villain to technically "win".

As for her reformation, that I'm not surprised about. What did surprise me is her supposedly joining the main cast. It felt shoehorned in, yet it is nice to see Twilight gain a student. I'm going to wait to reserve full judgement until see what happens in Season 6.

A great finale to an amazing season! Now the long hiatus begins!

• Brohoof 8

His timeline was actually the most lighthearted of all, IMO.

Turning Celestia and Luna into clowns vs. causing an apocalypse like everypony else ain't too bad, IMO.

It's lighthearted on the surface, but it seems like it could very well be "slavery for Discord's amusement" in a similar vein to slavery for war; ala Sombra.

• Brohoof 6