368 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it

• Hated it
    • Didn't like it
    • Meh. It was OK.
    • I liked it
    • That .... was ....AWESOME! <3

Yeah that some quite a strange.

What we see in 1 episode? War with Crystal Empire hmm ok.In second episode? Guerilla war(lost war) with Chrysalis.

Third? Stability society with NMM in main ruler. No war. Everypony do their best. No way to useless guards. But way for who can do their best(Rainbow Dash in bodyguards? of Moon)

And this worser than War?

oh god I just realized what is in the bg of them in the clowns images- ENDLESS BABY SCOOTALOOS - THE CREEPY ONES.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A shame that not many fanfics are being written about the timelines in this finale these days.

It's weird that it isn't the case, considering that thanks to this episode ALL fanfics are technically cannon :love:  

Anyone worried that the Rainbow Dash, Applejack, and Rarity died in the Chrysalis timeline? Because, from what it looks like in the comics, ponies die when Changelings suck the love out of them, not to mention Chrysalis tried to drain the love from Thorax in the season 6 finale. I'm hoping that's not the case.

Edited by heavens-champion

Anyone worried that the Rainbow Dash, Applejack, and Rarity died in the Chrysalis timeline? Because, from what it looks like in the comics, ponies die when Changelings suck the love out of them, not to mention Chrysalis tried to drain the love from Thorax in the season 6 finale. I'm hoping that's not the case.

I really hope that is not the case and they don't use the "Never Say Die" trope to justify the speculation about it.

This episode takes itself about as seriously as previous two-parters, which is weird, because it's totally weightless. It's action-heavy and largely formulaic, almost like a parody of a MLP finale than an actual example of one, featuring blasted lasers and the occasional scene of surprising darkness. The alternate timelines aren't really fleshed out, but at least they're interesting, and I will say that there's a lot of really fun gags in the action bits. Starlight Glimmer's "get recked, fool" face is the stuff of legend, and I'm one of those weirdoes who thinks that her reformation is really, really poignant. She made the wrong decision for the wrong reasons, but that doesn't mean she can't change. She just needs the right guidance, and since Twilight can't stop her by fighting, she's there to help. This is also the episode which I feel does the most to conclude Twilight's actual character arc by showing her lecturing on friendship magic. That's where I always thought she'd end up, not as an alicorn princess. It's just a shame that this episode has a nasty case of leaning on predestination for themes. Oh, so ONLY Twilight & co. could have saved Equestria? Is there nobody else in the entire world as good as them? That's really hard for me to buy, and that this show uses such themes so often disturbs me to no end. 

• 1 month later...

I very much appreciate Starlight Glimmer as both a character and as a villain. Sure, you can make a villain the very essence of evil or something like that but Starlight is just an everyday unicorn who has been driven to madness by an unfortunate past.

Let's all appreciate what she had to go through

Starlight, I'll comfort you with my tears.

ap_090911089838_sq-3271237f28995f6530d96

• 2 months later...

Well, a hatefic collection destroyed the episodes (and Glimmer) for me+.+ Except for that, Glimmer became too powerful in this episode and, although Rainbow Dash is my favourite character, I think it's not very likely that her Sonic Rainboom (or the missing of it) would cause so much different possibilities.

Moreover, the mane 6 forgave Glimmer way too easy. Sunset Shimmer at least hat a hard time and had to work for her redemption. To me the last minutes of the episode were like this:

Starlight: Yes, I tried to destroy all your friendships, messed up time and almost caused an extinction of all live on this world just because a friend left me behind. Sure, I could have tried to search for him but "lol", I wasn't feeling like it. I think I might be a little sorry for all this and I'm sure I'll brainwash all of you in a few months but who cares, I'm Starlight Glimmer. :toldya:

Everyone else: You are forgiven. Lets be best friends.

If they would have made the ending different and would give Starlight a harder time for her redemption then it would have been better.

However, this is just my opinion and I don't want to offend anyone who likes Starlight or the episodes. So please don't misunderstand my post :fluttershy: 

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

Season 6's reminder that finales can be actually, y'know, fun makes this episode look a lot worse by comparison. It's just so wrapped up in its own seriousness, and excepting a few memorable scenes, the result is joyless, and the episode is just too dumb to be so full of itself. I don't believe for a second that what took Twilight & friends maybe a day to surpass would evolve into some dystopia without them, and that sort of determinism is one of my least favourite trends in this show. At least this one acknowledges alternate possibilities, but it's still total nonsense. 

And yeah, Glimmerdemption is still more or less the best part. It's all rushed way too much in the mandatory ending song (seriously, all of these episodes are the goddamn same), and I'm not sure I can sympathise with Starlight's past as much as the episode hopes for, but I don't think that finding Starlight's choices reasonable is all that necessary to the enjoyment of the actual content of her reformation. It doesn't have as much of an emotional impact on me as it used to, but I still think there's something meaningful in such a damaged, maladjusted pony taking up a second chance to be better. 

And it's not just Haber. This whole season was dressing up weak stories like they were the most important thing in the world. "Canterlot Boutique," anyone? Part of why "Rarity Investigates!" impressed me so much at the time was because it wasn't as dreary as the rest of the season. I'm so glad we're out of this phase of the show, and back to actual attempts to be funny and light-hearted and even innocent every once in a while, because this season was a really hard time for me to be a fan of the show. I don't get why people like it so much. 

Score:

Entertainment: 5/10

Characters: 5/10

Theme: 7/10

Story: 4/10

Overall: 53/100

Oh, and another thing, those alternate timelines mean nothing. They just appear long enough to look cool and then suddenly vanish. And the action rarely has any weight, and at this point the sheer darkness of some scenes is less surprising and more just dreary. But it still has its moments, just... not enough. 

Edited by AlexanderThrond
  • Brohoof 2

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

And it's not just my friendships that are important to Equestria! Everypony's are!”

Friendship connects all of Equestria, and undoing one group of friends made its magic less powerful.”

“I've been thinking a lot about how badly Equestria fared without just one group of friends. Because even when one friendship dies, the results can be disastrous.”

FUCK YOU, ASSHOLES.

• 2 months later...
On 11/7/2017 at 1:04 AM, Number62 said:

And it's not just my friendships that are important to Equestria! Everypony's are!”

Friendship connects all of Equestria, and undoing one group of friends made its magic less powerful.”

“I've been thinking a lot about how badly Equestria fared without just one group of friends. Because even when one friendship dies, the results can be disastrous.”

Twilight it's not just about friendship, it was the Elements of Harmony that chose her and her friends to protect Equestrian Kingdom.

Edited by Singe

• 2 weeks later...

I’d say this was my third overall favorite two parter, but second favorite season finale. This involves time travel, poking at the butterfly effect. They revisit past villains seen in short scenes. Pretty cool!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/12/2017 at 3:28 PM, GoddessRarity said:

I very much appreciate Starlight Glimmer as both a character and as a villain. Sure, you can make a villain the very essence of evil or something like that but Starlight is just an everyday unicorn who has been driven to madness by an unfortunate past.

Let's all appreciate what she had to go through

Starlight, I'll comfort you with my tears.

ap_090911089838_sq-3271237f28995f6530d96

What is this child rambling about?:confused:

Anyhow, I'm not going to go into TOO much detail right now as to why I have the opinion that I do of this episode, but suffice to say, I do not like it a great deal. Not only is it's plot far too fan-fictiony for it's own good in my opinion, the episode feels the need to dumb it's characters down considerably at certain parts of the episode for the convenience of the plot. The alternate timelines that are visited, while certainly interesting, aren't really fleshed out in the slightest, and, I'm sorry, Starlight is just a flat-out bad antagonist in my opinion. She isn't very threatening or comedic, her plan is incredibly out of left-field and half-baked, and speaking of half-baked, her backstory, the reveal of her motives and her reformation are all very mundane and are handled very poorly.:pout:

I love Starlight Glimmer, and I think that she's an excellent addition to the cast in later seasons. And, I suppose that in that regard, this episode was for the best, a lot of good DID indeed come out of it. But it is not a great episode on it's own, and the more that I watch it, the more conscious I am of it's flaws. The worst two-parter in the show's lineup in my opinion.:pout:

I suppose I owe this much to Starlight Glimmer: Her actions inspired me to buy the Beast Wars 15th Anniversary DVD Box Set complete with the Prequel Comic about how the Maximals chased after the Predacons to Prehistoric Earth to start The Beast Wars! Not just Starlight, but also BOTH G1 Megatron and Beast Wars Megatron, were single-minded, and only looked at one thing: In Starlight's case, control over her village, and in the case of the Megatrons, making sure the Autobots LOSE the Great War, by killing their leader Optimus Prime! Starlight forgot about the REST of Equestria, and how it would be affected by the changes, and the Megatrons forgot about one thing: And the Answer is UNICRON! In 2005, if BW Megs were successful in changing the timeline, Unicron would arrive at Cybertron, to feast, and with no Autobot Matrix of Leadership to stop him, he will feast unchallenged.

It was Starlight Glimmer who inspired me to get back into the Beast Wars, including all instances where Waspinator gets blown to scrap! And it also acts as the PRIME reason I want to get her Build-A-Bear Plush after waiting so long! Also, once Beast Wars character models hit Source FilmMaker, I want to voice Optimus Primal AND BW Megatron, even Waspinator, for the eventual recap of Beast Wars Parts 1 and 2 by @SaburoDaimando. I can easily see Starlight meeting Megatron and learning that he and she were not too different, and suggest that if he were open to the Magic of Friendship, he wouldn't even USE the scheme of his namesake to exact vengeance, and maybe he'd consider turning Cybertronians into Vehicons, instead, yesss.

• 1 month later...

Just watched this episde I liked it lots of interesting ideas and realities we saw there although I do have to wonder why Starlight didn't see any of the alternate realities she created as well. However I think I'll comment mostly on the comments as most of the episode stuff has already been mentioned.

Starlight vs Twilight

A lot of people are commenting on how its odd that Starlight is powerful enough to match Twilight in a battle. However there's a few things they don't seem to be considering. First is that Starlight from what the episode shoes is just hanging out in the past occasionally using a spell on Twilight before that battle however Twilight has been casting a spell to travel back and forth through time multiple times as well as using her magic to fight, teleport and protect herself in those changed presents she winds up in. Which would mean she'd have used up a lot more of her magical strength by the time they came to fight each other. Secondly Starlights power is all hers while Twilights is based at least in part on her being the princess of friendship and not only her friendships but also the friendships of Equestria have been broken by this change in the past. Look at the caslte for a comparison most of its gone just the map remains so its possible that Twlight has lost more of her Alicorn power up at this stage. So to use numbers as an example (bad though they are) Alicorn Princess Twilight = 250 magical strength then the rainboom is stopped and she loses a lot of that returning her to Twilight Sparkle magical strength = 120 and then all the casting and spell use could drop her to magical strength 85 while Starlights is 80. God I hate using numbers as a measure but it illsutrates the point I think bassically its not that Twilght Sparkle princess of friendship and Starlight Glimmer are equally powerful its that Twilight Sparkle denied a lot of her princess of friendship power AND tired from multiple other casting is close to Starlights full strength.

All Villain fight

A lot of people are dissapointed we didn't get to see a reality where all the villains are present at the same time but I think we did. That last desolate wasteland with nothing left is the result of all these powerful beings being unleashed on the same timeline they're battle literally destroyed everything.

Starlight Alicorn

Just altering one of starswirls spells isn't what turned Twilight into an Alicorn it was just the final touch on a long slow growth from the isolated little filly who's world was dusty books into someone with deep and powerful connections to her friends and a concern for all the other pony's of Equestria. Starlight altered a spell yes but she's still lacking all the other things that make someone turn into an Alicorn even at the end she's only around where Twilight was after the first two episodes of Season 1. She might eventually turn into an Alicorn but she's got a lot of personal growth until that's even possible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It would be something if Hasbro wanted to move to G5 at this point. Starlight could have ripped the spell and ended FIM right there. Chain reaction messing with time reworks the universe.

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly, this is not a good episode. Most of the episode is the same thing. Twilight and Starlight fight, Twilight gets sent to an alternate future. While the alternate futures are cool, they aren't given enough time to get really interesting. Also Nightmare Moon should be ruling every time. She's the first villain that Twilight and her friends faced and it makes no sense how any other villain could rule besides her since nothing else except the elements of harmony could've defeated her. Almost the entire episode feels so boring aside from from a few gags and a few hammy moments from Starlight.

Speaking of Starlight, her reformation is actually my favorite initial reformation of the show. Starlight's motives might not make sense, but she was a child when it happened and she probably forced herself to believe her childhood fears even into adulthood. I like that Twilight talked down Starlight by appealing to her emotions. Starlight didn't want to destroy all of Equestria and Twilight knew that. Despite this, I'm not a fan of how quickly her town forgave her. That would've made for a great episode in season 6.

There's also a lot of talk about how important Twilight and her friends here that bothers me. The episode pounds into your head that Twilight's friendship is more important than any other and yet Twilight says that every friendship is equally important. 

Score: 4/10

• 3 months later...

This was one of the most disappointing episodes ever. I was so hyped to see Starlight Glimmer with her revenge, in the coolest way possible: a time spell. The first few dystopias were interesting to see, especially the first one. A grand war with King Sombra, where Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie are epic soldiers! However, the whole episode just repeated the same pattern of 'going to the past and just coming back without doing anything' so much that it eventually became boring. Also, the reason Starlight Glimmer became a villain was quite lame, and the ending was so anticlimactic. Everything just felt weird and nonsensical - how Starlight suddenly trusts Twilight, how the mane 6 becomes 'friends' with Starlight so easily...

A terrible episode overall. Didn't deserve to be a finale.

• Brohoof 1