Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler The Real Connection of Season 5

Silver Stream.

So throughout Season five, there has been many GREAT theories about the connection within most of the Season 5 episodes. Once connections stays true though: Each "Cutie Map Booty call" had something to do with history and there was a lot of focus on b-Cast characters instead of the mane 6. (this was not my original idea so I don't want to claim it). 

However, after watching the season finale, I think the huge focus was about overcoming broken friendships or losing someone close to you. In "The Lost treasure of Griffonstone", Gilda and Rainbowdash had to repair their friendship in order for Gilda to gain the motivation to save her home by showing them a better way to live. Rarity and Applejack needed to set an example for the Manehatten neighborhood that just because they lost one good pony who would motivate them to contribute to their own community, didn't mean they had to stop together. Moondancer needed to learn that just because she lost one good friend or had one bad friend (Twilight) in the past, she shouldn't let it ruin her future. Rainbowdash needed to accept that Tank would be gone for awhile and move on...otherwise she would have been stuck trying to alter the future (As Starlight was basically doing). The Hoofeilds and Mcolts had to learn that just because their ancestors' friendship was broken, they shouldn't let it ruin the future for themselves and the animals. Luna had to forgive herself as well...because by reliving the past over and over again, she nearly ruined the future. Discord-----OH FOR F*CK'S SAKE YOU GET THE POINT XD

In nearly every episode, a pony is either stuck in the past..allowing it to ruin a brighter future for both themselves and others. Or a pony has had a bad friendship and allowed it to ruin their chances of creating new ones. This was basically what drove Starlight to go through h*ll to alter everything....because I think the writers wants to stress just how important small things can affect your futures; that experiencing bad friendships (Starlight, Moondancer Gilda, Hooffeilds and Mcolts), death (Tank hybernating, Charity Kindheart leaving Manhatten )....even your own mistakes (Do princess dream of magic sheep)...are inevitable. But it's up to you to not let things in the past that didn't go your way stop you from pursuing a better future. Because then you'll only be leading yourself to a dark one. 

I noticed that many people were not expecting the finale to be good...because most (even I) aren't fans of "time-travel" cliches. But if you think about it, all of Season 5 had something to with the past, present, and possible futures. At least most of the episodes did. So what do you guys think?

Also, this isn't a discussion only focused on whether you agree with my theory or not...I'm willing to hear your theories as well! :)

• Brohoof 4

I have noticed that this season had a lot of helping other ponies overcome whatever struggle they had. Even the CMC were doing this. It does seem to be the theme of the whole season. I agree with your idea of the episodes concerning past, present, and future. I think it's cool to see how the characters are growing and progressing to a level where they have fewer problems among themselves and are able to do more of helping others.

And good job on writing such a long post. It's nice to hear some depth now and then. :)

• Brohoof 1

Its interesting on how you put it, as a major theme of season 5 looking back on it.

Although I will state, I will never agree that the subject of death was broached very well with 'Tanks for the memories' and I don't know for the case of 'Charity Kindheart' but I never assumed she passed away, and simply just moved away.  But the others I can see what you mean. But also that would imply that our past has always been connected to our present and that our future is never fully certain.  Its only in hindsight that we can appreciate the effects and events that have passed in their full capacity.  I'm not really going for anything here, I'm just sort of stating what's on my mind.  We're all scared of the future when we feel we can't control it or lost control of the present. Granted, we should stop thinking that we have full control over everything. I'm going off on tangent here I think.

I'm short on words other than to say I never actually was thinking about an overall theme for season 5 was operating in the background, but the way you have framed it, puts some interesting and meaningful perspective looking back on it. 

Its interesting on how you put it, as a major theme of season 5 looking back on it.

Although I will state, I will never agree that the subject of death was broached very well with 'Tanks for the memories' and I don't know for the case of 'Charity Kindheart' but I never assumed she passed away, and simply just moved away.  But the others I can see what you mean. But also that would imply that our past has always been connected to our present and that our future is never fully certain.  Its only in hindsight that we can appreciate the effects and events that have passed in their full capacity.  I'm not really going for anything here, I'm just sort of stating what's on my mind.  We're all scared of the future when we feel we can't control it or lost control of the present. Granted, we should stop thinking that we have full control over everything. I'm going off on tangent here I think.

I'm short on words other than to say I never actually was thinking about an overall theme for season 5 was operating in the background, but the way you have framed it, puts some interesting and meaningful perspective looking back on it.

*nodnod* Yeah I get what you mean. And now Charity Kindheart didn't die, but it is related to death and it's impact on a person or community. Like how she kept everyone together but the moment she left, they all lost sight of what she tried to give them which led to an unfriendly community.

It reminded me of a movie called "Soul Food". Where a huge African American family was kept together by the grandmother and she'd bring them together with big dinners and else words...but one day she died and the family fell apart until the grandson fought to bring them back together. Like how Coco was trying to bring the community back together.

• Brohoof 1

*nodnod* Yeah I get what you mean. And now Charity Kindheart didn't die, but it is related to death and it's impact on a person or community. Like how she kept everyone together but the moment she left, they all lost sight of what she tried to give them which led to an unfriendly community.

It reminded me of a movie called "Soul Food". Where a huge African American family was kept together by the grandmother and she'd bring them together with big dinners and else words...but one day she died and the family fell apart until the grandson fought to bring them back together. Like how Coco was trying to bring the community back together.

I can understand the similar effects that can be drawn up here if CK had passed away.  You would have similar effects, but I would expect different reactions for the change in circumstance.  Or at least I would think the reactions to some pony's passing would be much more different than them moving away for those that knew her.  But they can have similar effects after the change, this I can see what you mean.

Edited by pony.colin

I just see it as fillers really. And not even good fillers. I would think the finale would try and connect the dots but it didn't. I mean the writing has been poor throughout Season 5 and I thought they would pull out at the finale by giving reasons why the episodes were all so random but it didn't do justice for that. 

I just see it as fillers really. And not even good fillers. I would think the finale would try and connect the dots but it didn't. I mean the writing has been poor throughout Season 5 and I thought they would pull out at the finale by giving reasons why the episodes were all so random but it didn't do justice for that. 

With all due respect. But if we go with that logic, then 90% of the whole show is pretty much filler.

With all due respect. But if we go with that logic, then 90% of the whole show is pretty much filler.

Yeah the whole show is fillers and I had no problem with that. It's just that if the fillers are bad it's bad. 

I don't mind fillers at all on other shows if they're good.