Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should I take a survey?

Discordian

I'm thinking of taking a bit of a walk around my town in the next few days and taking a survey about MLP.

What I'll be looking for:

How many people have heard of My Little Pony

How many people have heard of specifically My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

How many people know of the brony fandom

What they think of what they hear from me if they haven't heard of it

What they think of the fandom if they already know of it

My purpose is to find out how many people know of MLP and how many don't as well as what they think of it when initially hearing about it. Of course, I'm going to keep myself as neutral as possible and not reveal the fact that I am a brony myself so as to not create immediate biases against me and my survey.

I do not intend to lead on any negative stereotypes either so I'm gonna get as cleaned up as I can for this.

Of course, I'm going to assure people that it's a personal project and I will not be asking for names, phone numbers, email addresses or street addresses or anything personally identifiable and it is purely anonymous and for my own personal uses and will not affect them in any way.

I want to find out, for better or for worse, how many between a group of 100 random people off the street have heard of MLP and if they like/hate it and it's fandom. But I don't want people to immediately think I'm some kind of creep or anything right off the bat so I'm not going to reveal whether I'm a brony or not until after I hear their answers, should they wish to participate. (It's at will, I can't force people to give answers)

Also, as far as I know something like this is perfectly legal as long as I'm not asking for personally identifying information, but correct me if I'm wrong.

As for what inspired this...well...I found a video on Youtube [non-disclosed] about a MLP hater who got his supposedly neutral friend to give his opinion on MLP and bronies, even going so far as go showing him my own poem (Oh Brony, My Brony) and basically talking him into thinking it was a creepy thing and not normal for adult men to watch. He basically convinced his "neutral" friend to find bronies creepy without asking his opinion first and foremost.

Yes, you could consider this a bit of a personal vendetta but not entirely. The results of this survey are for more general purposes than that and the results are not likely to reach this haters' ears or eyes. The reason I decided on a survey of random people is because I believe he did it totally wrong by trying to justify his own opinion by bringing someone from his own inner circle into it to give a "neutral" opinion on it full well knowing what he would think of it and only using it to justify his own opinion that MLP is gay and bronies are sick in the head.

My own survey could very well turn against me so I'm doing this on totally level ground rather than asking people I know to make me feel better about my opinion. For better or worse I believe this is the proper way to find out a neutral opinion on such a thing rather than finding someone who I personally know to bolster my own opinions.

I believe by doing this I'm doing it properly and it's not simply for revenge against the hater in the video (Who I know from other forums but will not disclose who he is or the forums he goes on)

It's for my own curiosity as well.

Now, that's all I have to say about this idea. Any tips on how to possibly improve this survey before I go out and actually do it are welcome. Keep in mind I have no car and cannot travel outside of my own city but my city has many thousands of people in it so there's no possible way I can know everyone, or even a fraction of the population.

• Brohoof 1

I see, though a local survey seems rather unorthodox for this type of survey since the populace might be inclined one way or the other depending on the general location.

• Brohoof 1

I see, though a local survey seems rather unorthodox for this type of survey since the populace might be inclined one way or the other depending on the general location.

That much I did realize but I really can't do much better about that unless other people from around the world (or around the US at least) were willing to try this with me.

Found the title slightly misleading as you wish to administer or "give" a survey, not take one (may be nitpicky but I was unclear as to the nature of your post until reading it)

As for the idea, sounds interesting, though how exactly would you conceal the fact that you are fan of the show when you are administering a survey about it? Who else, other than a fan, would do a personally motivated survey? I'm assuming you wish to be as transparent as possible about the non-corporate, non-intrusive nature of the survey, so you'd pretty much have to say its a passion project, in some manner of speaking.

Also, it could be difficult to eliminate all kinds of discrimination based on who you'd approach to ask about the show. Not saying it would be intentional, but I'd personally find it more intimidating to approach an older person about the show, as it is EXTRA outside their generation and I tend to assume anyone over 50 doesn't use the internet very extensively (I am ageist, I will admit that right now).

Anyway, just some gut reaction thoughts. Still think its an interesting notion.

I explained my reasons in the post. :P

It seems totally pointless to me. It's obvious the show has a strong following because it will have a third season. Would you do this for anything else? Are you going to go door to door and ask people if they like drinking coffee? Be prepared for the people who will laugh in your face.

Edited by cuteycindyhoney

You know, sometimes people find doing things like this in their own time fun and interesting. Survey-giving is as valid a hobby and pastime as any other isn't it? Besides, I think they already know what to expect about peoples reactions. As far as time-wasting activities go, this one is at least somewhat interesting and almost noble in its aims. Not to mention fun, depending on personal perspective of course. If you want to do it, then do it.

It might consume quite a bit of energy and time, but, I guess if you feel really passionate about this project, then go for it. I will say though that I agree with a previous poster on this thread that you might want to avoid more elderly people, simply because, for this particular show, I don't know if they're even a valid demographic (not trying to sound ageist or anything, I just think that there's very little chance that people 50+ have heard of a childrens show released in 2010, though I suppose there's always the possibility that grandparents have heard of it or even seen it, so, who knows?).

I'd say maybe the best demographic to start with would be asking random kids at your high school or college (depending on where you're going at the moment), and if you wanted to broaden the age-range, maybe ask random people in the 25-40 age group as well (since there might be plenty of parents in that age group who've heard of the show). Mind you, these are just some friendly suggestions; you seem to have thought a lot about this, and must have a good idea of how you'd like to conduct this survey. Best wishes if you decided to go through with it! :)

Edited by Batbrony

Yes, I understand the ramifications of what such a survey would be. I'm well aware there is a high chance of running into haters and people who think it's a generally creepy thing for bronies to do what they do.

But I also like to think that my area is rather open-minded. Obviously I don't know everyone in the city but I've never particularly had any major problems with open-mindedness in my city even when talking to random people.

I'm well aware that there's a good chance the results could turn against me in a bad way but I'm prepared to deal with that. At least I tried to do this on an even playing field rather than the hater mentioned above who was merely using his friend as a reason to bolster his own opinion.

Oh also, I never really believe there has to be a point to anything beyond "Because I want to" when it doesn't particularly affect others in a big way. :P

Oh also, I never really believe there has to be a point to anything beyond "Because I want to" when it doesn't particularly affect others in a big way. :P

Heheh, you've obviously been taking lessons from your friendly neighborhood Spiderman :lol: :

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3abMUH_P1E

Edited by Batbrony
  • Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...