Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think Starlight Glimmer is OP

toonami97

Usually when we talk about magic using individuals then they usually are overpowered. Discord is pretty dang overpowered, Midnight Sparkle is also very overpowered.

Edited by cider float

Well, considering that there is a school for gifted unicorns in canterlot, who knows how many OP unicorns exist in Equestria?

• Brohoof 2

Now that she can no longer time travel she's not as OP as she used to been.

she probably memoried the spell, so she can still time jump if she wanted to

Also, time travel or not, she was able to plan and think 3 steps ahead of Twi, and go horn to horn in a magic lazer duel

no starlight the product of training and studying of and modifying spells to suit her needs. twi is not op at all honestly she is maybe 20-25% more powerful as she is a *NEW* alicorn and her new power uses more of it so it evens out her slight gain.  and after she acquired alicorn status she was "bored" and not keeping up her skills as the *roughly 6 months to a year* "cutie map field trips" did nothing to improve. twi only could do a week Starlight could and did re-write the entire past-present and futures. and interim's of combative magic  i'd say still Starlight has an edge still as she trained.

i may just do a blog about everything i see in starlight's starlightness lol  

Maybe it's just the fact that Twily totally sucks at combat magic, while Starlight probably refined it a bit more.

• Brohoof 1

Nah. Twilights magic is more focused on heavy duty things. She's shown that she had a wicked amount of power, but always falls behind in combat magic. Starlight most likely trained in combat magic, while Twilight focuses on more peaceful spells.

• Brohoof 2

Usually when we talk about magic using individuals then they usually are overpowered. Discord is pretty dang overpowered, Midnight Sparkle is also very overpowered.

More that the fact she a ordinary unicorn match Twilight a alicorn and better skilled in some spells then she is or was.

I think she certainly is OP. The only way for her to be like that is to have studied all her life to match the power of Twilight Sparkle. 

This I find it weird a unicorn is match for a alicorn there could be exceptions but weird as she didn't show this strength as much during s5 premier. 

Nah. Twilights magic is more focused on heavy duty things. She's shown that she had a wicked amount of power, but always falls behind in combat magic. Starlight most likely trained in combat magic, while Twilight focuses on more peaceful spells.

Twilight did say SG had most magic potential of any unicorn she seen like Tia said to her.

• Brohoof 1

Didn't she have to channel the Map for enough raw power to travel back that far?

Would explain her being able to alter history as well, something even Discord admitted to being unable to do in IDW #24.

Edited by A.V.

It was stated that one of the reasons Twi took Starly as her pupil it was her magic is pretty powerful. I guess it's possible an unicorn can be more powerful than an alicorn. SHE CAN EVEN FLY, FOR GOD SAKE  :angry: (Now I wonder if Pumpkin will be as powerful too, or that was the baby unicorn thing only? :huh:)

It was stated that one of the reasons Twi took Starly as her pupil it was her magic is pretty powerful. I guess it's possible an unicorn can be more powerful than an alicorn. SHE CAN EVEN FLY, FOR GOD SAKE  :angry: (Now I wonder if Pumpkin will be as powerful too, or that was the baby unicorn thing only? :huh:)

more like levitation though

Yeah, Starlight's insane abilities in magic are honestly kinda ridiculous. We never got any details to why she is so damn powerful and yet she for some reason is pretty much more powerful than Twilight because 'reasons'. It is one of those things that makes me not like Starlight, she has this insane power that she doesn't even deserve. I say that because I have seen nothing that makes me think that she deserve that kind of ability. They made Starlight too powerful without even justifying it, it felt like a joke to me, but it sadly wasn't one.

• Brohoof 4

Yeah, Starlight's insane abilities in magic are honestly kinda ridiculous. We never got any details to why she is so damn powerful and yet she for some reason is pretty much more powerful than Twilight because 'reasons'. It is one of those things that makes me not like Starlight, she has this insane power that she doesn't even deserve. I say that because I have seen nothing that makes me think that she deserve that kind of ability. They made Starlight too powerful without even justifying it, it felt like a joke to me, but it sadly wasn't one.

Starlight may be the closest thing to a Villain Sue so far.

But at least she's nowhere near as bad as Master Xehanort from Kingdom Hearts.

• Brohoof 2

TS has an excuse its her element, she went to a school, and shes the main character. SG sounds like a mary sue just as strong or maybe bit stronger than TS despite being a unicorn.

Ironic shes the most normal and only normal arc villain yet feels like a villian sue interestingly she was mention on the mlp recap page and was tagged as that till they removed it.

• Brohoof 1

TS has an excuse its her element, she went to a school, and shes the main character. SG sounds like a mary sue just as strong or maybe bit stronger than TS despite being a unicorn.

I agree with both of you. I never liked the Mary Sue and Gary Stu terms to be honest, but Starlight is the first character in the show that is qualified for it to me. Hell, even friggin' SOMBRA has more justification for his powers, he worked with extremely dark magic and that corrupted him, but made him very strong, with Starlight, meh, I guess. Honestly, thinking about it makes me dislike her character quite a bit.Her losing one friend doesn't convince me that she can somehow be so good at magic to have alicorn-level abilities and even outclass the ELEMENT OF MAGIC herself. It is really, really dumb.

• Brohoof 1

I have to agree. She's pretty powerful. But if I'm to be honest....I think the writers are planning to she'd more light as to WHY starlight is powerful. Because we aren't just saying she is OP because of what we SAW.....but they made sure Twilight stressed it as well to make us fully aware that "wow this b*tch is powerful".

I don't think combat magic has anything to do with why they were evenly matched. No one outdid the other because both were equally skilled and strong to hold their own. Though I refuse to believe Twilight is weaker than Starligt Glimmer. For some reason....I can't help but feel as though she's mentally limited or something. As a filly, we see her nearly Max out with raw power which was why Celestia took her in as her pupil. Twilight is too controlled.... I wish to see a moment when her raw power comes out....that would be a sight to see.

As to why Starlight is so powerful? And apparently just as smart for her to have figured out how to make Starswirl's spell better (like how Twilight only finished his other spell).....I have no idea. I want to say she may be a related to the powerful unicorn somehow but we don't know much..yet.

• Brohoof 1

I agree with both of you. I never liked the Mary Sue and Gary Stu terms to be honest, but Starlight is the first character in the show that is qualified for it to me. Hell, even friggin' SOMBRA has more justification for his powers, he worked with extremely dark magic and that corrupted him, but made him very strong, with Starlight, meh, I guess. Honestly, thinking about it makes me dislike her character quite a bit.Her losing one friend doesn't convince me that she can somehow be so good at magic to have alicorn-level abilities and even outclass the ELEMENT OF MAGIC herself. It is really, really dumb.

Sombra wasn't a ordinary pony anyway at that point in either form we never saw what she did to earn it if anything. Only use the sue/stu labels if they genuinely deserve it. And Discord had to struggle to genuinely accepted it seemed or was I overthinking as it seemed other villains were but she and him were arc villains. though.

Edited by toonami97